Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2011 1:18:30 PM EDT
format would be 2 man team with team score.  probably 5-7 stages, 1 day.  
Some targets would be designated as (must be neutralized by) handgun targets, some rifle and some shooter discretion.
Targets would be arms length to over 1000 yrds, with at least 3 stages having targets beyond 600 yrds.  Primarily steel, with some IPSC cardboard and a little tannerite.

Load-out would be team discretion.  i.e. could both shooters could elect to use carbine/handgun or one could use rifle/handgun and the other carbine/handgun, etc.

Cost would prob be at least $60.  probably in mid-May

The only obstacle would be generating enough revenue from match fee to cover liability insurance, so I'm trying to see if there is enough interest to make it feasible.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll follow this thread closely for updates. I'd definately be in.

Anyone from the Knoxville area want to team up?
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#2]
You had me until you mentioned >1,000 yards. .308 is the biggest most of my buddies have got & it drops waaaaaaay to much for that range, IMO.

Now, if you had, say, a limit of 500/600 yards, then yes, I'd definitely be in.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You had me until you mentioned >1,000 yards. .308 is the biggest most of my buddies have got & it drops waaaaaaay to much for that range, IMO.

I'm with Bob.

There are probably not many here that have the gear and/or experience to hit consistently at 1000.

I know I don't.

Link Posted: 1/4/2011 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#4]
good feedback

it's an interesting choice, as many folks don't get an opportunity to shoot UKD that far and are pretty much limited around here to 1000 yrd High Power matches at ORSA and Tullahoma.  I couldn't help noticing how many F and F-TR shooters there are at those matches.  Seems like they'd want to do something a little higher speed with those expensive bangsticks.

Of course we could have a 308 division that would only shoot to 800 or so.  Or we could just make the far targets bonus targets or something.  500 is too close for max, as everyone would just use the carbine to hit that unless we made really small targets, which I was hoping to avoid as this would be more of a practical shoot than a "challenge".  

I was originally imagining both shooters would have all 3 guns and attack a stage however they felt most appropriate, but we could make the stages (especially for the first few matches) where a team wouldn't be disadvantaged if one member had only a precision rifle and the other only a carbine.  Might be a less expensive way to get into the hobby.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with Bob.

There are probably not many here that have the gear and/or experience to hit consistently at 1000.

I know I don't.

same here. I would be stretching it at 600.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Of course we could have a 308 division that would only shoot to 800 or so.  Or we could just make the far targets bonus targets or something.  500 is too close for max, as everyone would just use the carbine to hit that unless we made really small targets, which I was hoping to avoid as this would be more of a practical shoot than a "challenge".  

Speaking only for myself, anything >500 yards & I'm out. Maybe 30 years ago when my eyes were better I might consider it, but not now, even with a good scope. Sorry.

No offense, but IMO you're vastly overestimating the amount of shooters in TN who can (and do) shoot 800+ yards.

My .o2
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I would be intrested but I am new to the long range game.  I have my gun built up pretty well but i have had a broken leg and havent been able to do much since October 1st. Keep me posted if this all works out, i might show up and look stupid but I will at least try.  LOL  Also ck out my post in the precision forum it has pics of my gun.  The title is Mcree Precision Stock I think is how i worded it!
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Having shot a numbber of the Tullahima f-tr matches, I would be interested, as would several of my friends. UKD would definately be a challenge fir everyone I know. The 1k thing isnt that intimidating to me anymore.

The UKD thing is. Id love to see it put on. I bet you get a few travelers for a match like that.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

people size would be easy unless it was windy...

i took a ground hog with a 223 at 1/2 mile, 882 yards this summer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5CzWF07eFI

more of my summer kill vids...
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Groundhog+Varminting+Ohio+2010&aq=f

i would love to shoot this, i had a special 243WSSM AR15 built just for 1200y+ shooting

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/2649/guns246large.jpg

for me its just a time/money thing....
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#10]
i'm down but need more info.

dates, rules, location.

i might have a way to help promote it a little.
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I am very interested. Like others though .308 is my biggest caliber and not much opportuinty to shoot past 800 yards.

I think a .308 class would be a good idea.
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think a .308 class would be a good idea.

Class is one thing, shooting a .308 out to 800 yards or better is a whole different ball of wax, IMO.

I wish we could have a 500-600 yard MAX for .308 & let the bigger cals shoot 800+ yards.    
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Having shot a numbber of the Tullahima f-tr matches, I would be interested, as would several of my friends. UKD would definately be a challenge fir everyone I know. The 1k thing isnt that intimidating to me anymore.

The UKD thing is. Id love to see it put on. I bet you get a few travelers for a match like that.

I completely agree. For all you doubters, I can attest to the fact that 45 grains of Varget with a 175 Sierra Match King out of a 26" barrel can do quite well for a .308 out to 1,000 yards. There are other bullets that do even better. You just need to ditch the 168 SMKs since they are no good at 1,000. At first, it can be a little intimidating, but once you get you scope settings you can do just fine, even with a 12x scope like I used last time.
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Id be in..I could probably speak for several other officers that would come to. I like the 308 at 1000. Its a good confidence building distance if anything. If you cant hit it, at least it would be a good and fun training experience.
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Me too!
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#16]
What happened with this?

Is it still gonna happen?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I completely agree. For all you doubters, I can attest to the fact that 45 grains of Varget with a 175 Sierra Match King out of a 26" barrel can do quite well for a .308 out to 1,000 yards. There are other bullets that do even better. You just need to ditch the 168 SMKs since they are no good at 1,000. At first, it can be a little intimidating, but once you get you scope settings you can do just fine, even with a 12x scope like I used last time.

Hell I shot w/ a 10x Mk IV and still shot in the high 180s.  I'll be shooting a 14x this year after a 2 year hiatus; I hope to do better...
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#18]
yep, haven't picked a date yet though.  spring is looking difficult.  may sneak in a small match.  late summer / early fall is looking very promising.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like fun... I do 3-gun, so 1000 yards is way out of my range, but I'd be happy to shoot carbine/handgun if some super-sniper type needs a teammate.

DanO
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:58:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I would be interested depending on location. I would be coming from Kingsport. A Remington 700 .270 is the largest rifle I use, but I would definety be good for the carbine and handgun.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Definitely. 1000 yards with a 308 is no problem. Let's do this thing.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#22]
How many people do you need to make this happen?
Link Posted: 2/3/2011 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#23]
just to give you a feel for the costs... insurance is going to be $1200 minimum.  So @ $60 ea, we'd need 20 shooters just to cover ins before we get into targets, etc.  (not that i think we'd have a problem attracting 20 shooters...) and that's assuming we don't compensate the land owner at all, which i don't think is fair
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#24]
You're getting raped on insurance. You can incorporate and skip the insurance for less than that.
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#25]
You could count me in, a 2 man 3 gun match with targets 1000+ would be awesome. Not everybody is comfortable taking 800+ yard shots, I would make targets past that bonus targets. Will LRF's be allowed?
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#26]
we will probably have at least one stage per match where you'll have to range passively.  But as a general rule, we'll be LRF-friendly
for the first match, we will prob keep the distances to 800y and under.  let people warm up to the longer ranges

btw, things are progressing slowly but surely.  getting ready to buy targets.  got a friendly nod from the sheriff too.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 7:04:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
we will probably have at least one stage per match where you'll have to range passively.  But as a general rule, we'll be LRF-friendly
for the first match, we will prob keep the distances to 800y and under.  let people warm up to the longer ranges

btw, things are progressing slowly but surely.  getting ready to buy targets.  got a friendly nod from the sheriff too.

Like I said, you can count me in for one team for sure, I may know two other shooters that may be able to make it too depending on what the final date is.

If it helps with your operation costs I have some AR500 targets I use for my LR shooting I would happily bring along as long as they're used for long range targets only and match type bullets, they tend to get pretty eaten up by 223 FMJ or AP at any range, and any 223 or small fast caliber at close range.

Also if anybody is wanting to attend that is beginner level but doesn't have a partner, I have a friend who is also beginner level and would like to attend his first match but doesn't have a partner. He's a decent LR trigger puller, still learning the doping, and wind reading, and still learning pistol and carbine skills but has the basics down pretty good. If anybody is interested PM me, if you don't have some equipment like spotting scope, LRF, etc. I have all high end gear I won't mind you using for LR stages.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#28]

May 28th.   Mark your calendars.

will have a website with more info up soon
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#29]
So long term, we're still planning to do 3gun (pistol, carbine, precision rifle) but for the first match, we are just doing a team precision rifle match and limiting the distance a bit, since it's pretty short notice.   The match is May 28th and there is an optional class on the 27th.

Precision Multigun

Link Posted: 3/22/2011 2:53:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Will ya make the targets big enough so I can shoot with irons? Don't have anything scoped right now except for a half MOA 25-06 shooting 100 grainers. If a mouse farts past 500yds i'm in trouble.  Anyone want to team up? I will pay for ammo and supply sammiches.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 4:26:02 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm in 1000%.

Link Posted: 3/27/2011 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#32]
awesome.  grab a partner and send in the registration.  it's filling up pretty fast
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 4:46:10 PM EDT
[#33]
I am waiting on a response from my buddy but should I go ahead and register now....I don't wanna lose a spot.

I saw on your site that you will match shooters that don't have partners......in case mine don't come through.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#34]
send me an email and i will reply to you and another shooter looking for a partner
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 5:45:06 AM EDT
[#35]
OK, registrations for me and a partner sent today. We signed up for the training day as well.

Looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2011 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#36]
prize table is looking really good!  just wanted to thank the very generous sponsors offering a lot of unexpected support for this match.
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#37]
We are about half full at the moment with registrations received from PA, IL, MO, AL, GA, KY and of course TN
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#38]

We have another shooter looking for a teammate for this match.  
email me [email protected] if you are interested

Link Posted: 5/9/2011 12:00:51 PM EDT
[#39]

guys, we're down to 1.5 slots left, and we have another shooter looking for a partner.  If you are interested, plmk
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#40]
we're officially full.  Any future entries received will be placed on wait list.

Look forward to shooting with you guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top