Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2009 8:01:21 AM EDT
My experience with Coal Creek Armory in Knoxville

I decided yesterday to change out the flash hider on my new Ruger SR-556 to a standard A2 birdcage,  after removing the factory AC-556 FH I went to my gunsmithing table and pulled out the drawer where I keep my FH's and crush/peel washers and selected a A2 FH... To my suprise I notice that I am out of crush washers.  so I pick up the phone and call CCA to see what there hours were going to be considering it is a holiday weekend.  A man answers my call and I ask "what are your hours going to be this afternoon" the man replies that they would be open normal hours, so I respond  "good, I need to come and pick up a couple of crush washers"  the man responds "we dont have any" so I ask "ok, how about peel washers" the man says "nope"..... Now I knew the man was lying to me because CCA is a full service gunsmith shop and carries FH's, I again ask politly "so your telling me that you guys carry FH's but dont carry crush washers" and he said "uh....well.... we actualy do have plenty of washers but we do not sell them, they are for gusmith use only", I then said "so your telling me if a man bought a FH the only way to get a $0.15 crush washer is to pay the gunsmith some unreasonable fee to do a 2min job" and he said "that is correct" At this time I was so discusted i just hung up the phone.... f**k CCA

I was so mad I could shit kittens!

I can understand the policy on .50 BMG ammo, after all the stuff is hard to get and they want to take care of the people who bought the gun there first, but come on man, a f"in crush washer.
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 8:09:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I can understand the policy on .50 BMG ammo,

what policy do they have on .50 bmg ammo?
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 8:12:04 AM EDT
[#2]
In order to purchase .50BMG ammo you must have a sales recipt of a .50BMG rifle that you purchased from them...
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#3]
CCA is the worst.  I would love to see them fold and start up again under a new owner.

Call Jimmy or Mike at Predator Custom Shop and see if they can help you.
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#4]
It amazes me how they still stay in business and are so popular.

I live maybe 3 or 4 miles from the place and their parking lot is always packed, parking on the grass even.

With their prices and rule changes every other week, they are getting very greedy, you would think that the public would figure it out.

I haven't been inside in a long time.
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My experience with Coal Creek Armory in Knoxville

I decided yesterday to change out the flash hider on my new Ruger SR-556 to a standard A2 birdcage,  after removing the factory AC-556 FH I went to my gunsmithing table and pulled out the drawer where I keep my FH's and crush/peel washers and selected a A2 FH... To my suprise I notice that I am out of crush washers.  so I pick up the phone and call CCA to see what there hours were going to be considering it is a holiday weekend.  A man answers my call and I ask "what are your hours going to be this afternoon" the man replies that they would be open normal hours, so I respond  "good, I need to come and pick up a couple of crush washers"  the man responds "we dont have any" so I ask "ok, how about peel washers" the man says "nope"..... Now I knew the man was lying to me because CCA is a full service gunsmith shop and carries FH's, I again ask politly "so your telling me that you guys carry FH's but dont carry crush washers" and he said "uh....well.... we actualy do have plenty of washers but we do not sell them, they are for gusmith use only", I then said "so your telling me if a man bought a FH the only way to get a $0.15 crush washer is to pay the gunsmith some unreasonable fee to do a 2min job" and he said "that is correct" At this time I was so discusted i just hung up the phone.... f**k CCA

I was so mad I could shit kittens!

Not to get off the subject, but does the ruger shoot as sexy as it looks?

I can understand the policy on .50 BMG ammo, after all the stuff is hard to get and they want to take care of the people who bought the gun there first, but come on man, a f"in crush washer.

Link Posted: 7/4/2009 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
CCA is the worst.  I would love to see them fold and start up again under a new owner.

That's some good advice.  Mike has been great in the past when I have dealt with him
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Not to get off subject, but does the Ruger shoot as sexy as it looks?

To be honest, No.... I really had high hopes for the rifle and looked foward to it like a kid on chrismas eve.

The rifle has an un-godly bull barrel (like 1" under the rails) with a 1in9 twist rate, which should be perfect for light ball... but I am not even getting 2MOA with a leopold scope shooting off sandbags on top of that it wont shoot Wolf, it tears the rim off and leaves the case stuck in the chamber... I believe there may be a burr in the chamber due to the scraches on some of the cases.

There seems to be a lot of mixed range reports coming in, and I am in no way condeming the rifle... I just got a lemon
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, i do value your opinion, I was not able to break down the rifle i was looking at, is the BCG a young NM, or does it just look the same
Also how is the gas adjustments, do you see any benefit on this particular rifle,
I have only played with a SIG and am anxious to compare
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#9]
The BCG is more or less a standard BC with the exception of it has no firing pin shroud, and of course there is a proprietary key to the rifle.  It even uses a standard USGI style bolt, some of them are coming in with the gas rings in place and some without, mine does not have them.

ETA: the gas adjustments would come more into play with a suppressor or with a heavily soiled rifle, or perhaps with handloads... I really did not have any reason to mess with it, but it is very simple to adjust
Link Posted: 7/5/2009 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#10]
If you have not gotten a washer yet let me know. I have a bag of the FS peel washers I can send to you one in a 1st class mail envelope for free.
Link Posted: 7/6/2009 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you have not gotten a washer yet let me know. I have a bag of the FS peel washers I can send to you one in a 1st class mail envelope for free.

Thank you very much for the offer, I did however find a crush washer in my other tool box.

Does'nt really matter now anyway, looks like my SR556 is going back to the factory
Link Posted: 7/6/2009 8:26:04 PM EDT
[#12]
What ammo did you try so far?
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you very much for the offer, I did however find a crush washer in my other tool box.

Does'nt really matter now anyway, looks like my SR556 is going back to the factory

Ah bummer man, what happened
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#14]
The Ruger seems to have a deformation/burr in the chamber, After each round is fired the bolt rips the rim off of the case, leaving the rest of the case lodged in the chamber.

I have shot some M885, M193, and WOLF 62/55gr through it, most of the brass will not FTE, but the rim is deformed.  THE wolf on the other hand with the brittle steel case will FTE 100% of the time leaving me with a cleaning rod down the bore beating the remainder of the case out of the chamber.

I called customer service 2-days ago and all the operators were buisy so I was forced to leave a message, and I still have no response from them

Link Posted: 7/7/2009 11:10:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It amazes me how they still stay in business and are so popular.

I live maybe 3 or 4 miles from the place and their parking lot is always packed, parking on the grass even.

With their prices and rule changes every other week, they are getting very greedy, you would think that the public would figure it out.

I haven't been inside in a long time.

im guessing the only reason is because they are the largest firearm store in the area. from what ive heard on here and from talking with the folks, i wont be doing business with them

+69 on predator pursuit, great service/people

"IF YOU SHOW UP FOR A FAIR FIGHT, YOU ARE NOT PREPARED" - nice quote

Link Posted: 7/9/2009 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Have you "miked" the chamber? ."223" or "5.56mm"?
Hessian-1
Link Posted: 7/9/2009 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Have you "miked" the chamber? ."223" or "5.56mm"?
Hessian-1

No, I have not actually.... But the barrel is marked 5.56mm

Link Posted: 7/12/2009 9:34:22 AM EDT
[#18]
CCA just sucks and I am friends with the owner. I called the other day, knowing they would not have one, and asked if they had a 5.5 inch flash hider in stock. Numbnuts says he wiuld have to check with an attitiude. He comes back and basically told me I was an idiot. He had never heard of one. Typical idiot working behind the gun counter know it all. I told him thanks and that I sure did missed Trevor.

Phil and trevor were the backbone of that organization. Johnathan was suck an ass to them he lost them. I get so pissed off everytime I go in there. I go back about every two months hoping they get better or that Johnathan get's them back.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#19]
When Guncraft was there (original business?) I would go in there to shoot whenever I visited my inlaws, bought a few guns.  Now I don't bother with anything in Knoxville.  Gander Mountain and CCA are too insane for me.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#20]
CCA sux, But damn... Gander mountain is on a whole different level of stupidity.  IMO the worst in the industry, Bass Pro and Cabellas both have more knowledgable sales reps than Gander.

Link Posted: 7/14/2009 5:02:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
CCA sux, But damn... Gander mountain is on a whole different level of stupidity.  IMO the worst in the industry, Bass Pro and Cabellas both have more knowledgable sales reps than Gander.

The last time I was in Gander Mountain, an employee was racking a pump shotgun while telling the customer that would be all he would have to do if someone broke into his house.  "you hear that? that sound will make them run away."

I regret not going over there and telling them it would give away your position, and the bad guy might shoot towards the sound.  That kind of nonsense could get someone killed.

I've also heard an employee there tell a customer that Ruger bought out Kel-Tec after they released the LCP.

At Coal Creek, I've seen employees make fun of a customer for asking "where are the clips?" instead of "where are the magazines?"  I really don't understand why you'd be condescending towards someone trying to give you money.
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#22]
There are other gun stores in Knoxville.  But for the life of me Im drawing a blank on the name.  One is on alcoa Hwy between the hospital and John sevier Hwy.  Right next to the pilot gas station.  If you drive limit and sneeze you miss it. lol.  The other is at the other end of town on the very edge.  I think they are called tactical arms .. the man is new to being a FFL but atleast he was friendly.  Its located just off of Watt Rd.  If heading out of town ( towards Lenior City ) Take Watt Rd exit and go back over the freeway and make your first right.  Follw the signs that say " guns ".  Yes I swear he has signs .. lol

Link Posted: 7/15/2009 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#23]
My favorite place to go around Knoxville is Gunny's in Maryville.  I used to enjoy going to Gun's and More but just found out while typing this that they closed a few months ago.
Link Posted: 7/16/2009 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Which one has the best prices for AR accessories ?
Link Posted: 7/16/2009 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's some good advice.  Mike has been great in the past when I have dealt with him

Very good advice.  Good people to deal with.

Link Posted: 7/17/2009 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My favorite place to go around Knoxville is Gunny's in Maryville.  I used to enjoy going to Gun's and More but just found out while typing this that they closed a few months ago.

I kept hearing this from everyone, and went and checked out Gunny's. I didn't think it was worth a crap, they were over-priced and gouging ammo prices. That does not equal a good shop to me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2009 10:16:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I kept hearing this from everyone, and went and checked out Gunny's. I didn't think it was worth a crap, they were over-priced and gouging ammo prices. That does not equal a good shop to me.

Gunny's doesn't have a huge selection.  But, I thought their prices on handguns was about average for a retail shop.  I do stop by occasionally and use their range downstairs.  It's the only place I can shoot my rifles indoors... even if it is only 25 yrds.  For those who have never been, make sure you bring non-steel core rounds.

I don't think it's that Gunnys is so outstanding, as much as it is that they are just so much nicer than CCA.  Compared to the employees at CCA, it doesn't take much to impress.    

Link Posted: 7/20/2009 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#28]
HEY OP any update on the Ruger
Link Posted: 7/21/2009 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Still waiting for its return
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#30]
I called cca and asked about a ffl transfer and they wanted $50 bucks plus the $10 background fee.  The last ffl transfer I did only cost me $25.  They are just a bunch of over priced jerks. I have never had any type of good dealings with them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I called cca and asked about a ffl transfer and they wanted $50 bucks plus the $10 background fee.  The last ffl transfer I did only cost me $25.  They are just a bunch of over priced jerks. I have never had any type of good dealings with them.

Call Ensleys shooter supply.  He's on Topside rd. off Pellissippi.  $30 OTD
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#32]
I got the Ruger back on friday, looks like it had a defective bolt/extractor
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:30:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I got the Ruger back on friday, looks like it had a defective bolt/extractor

Not as bad as it intially sounded, good luck
Top Top