Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2009 6:38:08 AM EDT
I've read about people having some similar experiences, so I thought I'd share this.

If you are waiting on your permit, call this number 866-849-3548 (toll-free) and ask about the status of your permit.

If your background check is approved, they'll issue the permit today.

So apparently the good people at the capital are kinda sitting on their thumbs, and if you don't call about the permit, they don't get in any hurry.

Should be 7-14 days from today according to the pure genius I talked to on the phone (who answered with "Hello"...like I was calling her at home or something).

Anyway, a rant, some instructions. Do with it what you will.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 7:28:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no proof of this, but I have often suspected the people of the state intentionally drag their feet on the permits. No way it should have taken 3 months for my last renewal, when my State Senator got her renewal in a matter of weeks. I am going to send in the renewal really early this year (expires again Dec 31, 2009).

By the way, who in the state do I contact to get a copy of my birth certificate?
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 7:30:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have no proof of this, but I have often suspected the people of the state intentionally drag their feet on the permits. No way it should have taken 3 months for my last renewal, when my State Senator got her renewal in a matter of weeks. I am going to send in the renewal really early this year (expires again Dec 31, 2009).

By the way, who in the state do I contact to get a copy of my birth certificate?

http://health.state.tn.us/vr/FAQ.htm
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 7:33:14 AM EDT
[#3]
thank you !
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know that it's an intentional slowdown of the process as much as it's a bunch of state boobs whom don't make $15K a year & are less than wholly motivated.    

Anyone who has had interaction with any state bureaucracy has to know we're not dealing with the sharpest of workers there.    
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 8:33:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't know that it's an intentional slowdown of the process as much as it's a bunch of state boobs whom don't make $15K a year & are less than wholly motivated.    

Anyone who has had interaction with any state bureaucracy has to know we're not dealing with the sharpest of workers there.    

Yea, I honestly think it has more to do with the staff than anything. I found out all I needed to know when the lady answered the phone the way that she did. These people don't care.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I submitted mine on November 3rd and got it on the 22nd of November. I also have a clearance with the feds. Not sure whether that has anything to do with it but it did seem to be pretty quick according to everybody I talke to.

Dolomite
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine expires in May of this year, do they send out renewal letter or do you just send your stuff in and wait? First time i'll renew so i am lost.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Mine expires in May of this year, do they send out renewal letter or do you just send your stuff in and wait? First time i'll renew so i am lost.

If it works like armed guard licensing then they will send the renewal in the mail. I suspect they will send a renewal like they do for drivers license.

Dolomite
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#10]
My renewal took three months to the day.

Renewed on election day in November, got it back on the 7th of this month.

It expired this month so I renewed it early ( you can do that up to 6 months ahead )

I've read about a lot of people having that problem so I try and do it early.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've read about people having some similar experiences, so I thought I'd share this.

If you are waiting on your permit, call this number 866-849-3548 (toll-free) and ask about the status of your permit.

So apparently the good people at the capital are kinda sitting on their thumbs, and if you don't call about the permit, they don't get in any hurry.

Should be 7-14 days from today according to the pure genius I talked to on the phone (who answered with "Hello"...like I was calling her at home or something).

If you don't mind my asking, when did you originally send your permit application to Nashville? I'm trying to figure when enough time has elapsed before calling them...  I sent my stuff in a week ago.  Thanks

Link Posted: 2/19/2009 1:49:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you don't mind my asking, when did you originally send your permit application to Nashville? I'm trying to figure when enough time has elapsed before calling them...  I sent my stuff in a week ago.  Thanks

I can't remember the exact date, but somewhere between Christmas and New Years.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 3:32:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

For an initial app the law says they have 90 days.  They do not usually take that long but they have it.  Don't bother calling them until you are at your 90 days from the app. date.

I haven't seen a time standard for the renewal.  They do send out renewal notices.  If you do not get one and your permit expires that will not matter to them.  You must keep up with the expiration date.

Link Posted: 2/19/2009 3:47:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For an initial app the law says they have 90 days.  They do not usually take that long but they have it.  Don't bother calling them until you are at your 90 days from the app. date.

I haven't seen a time standard for the renewal.  They do send out renewal notices.  If you do not get one and your permit expires that will not matter to them.  You must keep up with the expiration date.

I understand the standard intial waiting period. My point was that my permit was good to go, background check was done. If I hadn't called they wouldn't have issued it and sent it out yesterday, it would've been whenever they got around to it, which would probably be closer to the 90 days. I'm not a patient man, and if I can have what I want today, why not go ahead and get it done.

I say call all that you want to. Our tax dollars pay these people, and if you feel like bugging the crap out of somebody over something you paid for, go for it, 90 days or not.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 4:41:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I say call all that you want to. Our tax dollars pay these people, and if you feel like bugging the crap out of somebody over something you paid for, go for it, 90 days or not.

I can understand your lack of patience, as I suffer too... but calling and bugging them might not just end up screwing you, but everyone trying to renew.  Remember, we are dealing with an underpaid, easily disgruntled bureaucracy.  If enough people start calling a week or two after they file, employees are going to get pissed, bosses will be forced to deal with it, and next time ANYONE calls... the first question could easily become, "When did you apply?"  Followed by a standard, "it hasnt been 90 days, please call back then... CLICK"

While I am not saying they are overly helpful now, (I dont know... havent had to deal with em yet) bugging them could make matters much worse... just my .02
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 6:03:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Now my question is this:  How often do you have to send in a certified BC?  I turned one in on application and will have to do it again with this renewal because of their stupidity.  Will I have to always send in one?  If so then I should be able to deduct the actual cost from my renewal fee as its just another way of them raising money because they are not sending them back.

Po-Po
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 8:29:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm not a patient man, and if I can have what I want today, why not go ahead and get it done.

A) I cannot imagine a better way of getting one's ap placed on the bottom of the pile to get done.

B) Nothing like reinforcing the stereotype of the ill-mannered gun owner, I guess, eh?

C) Next time the po-po pull you over, be SURE to tell them "I pay your salary!"    

Link Posted: 2/19/2009 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not a patient man, and if I can have what I want today, why not go ahead and get it done.

A) I cannot imagine a better way of getting one's ap placed on the bottom of the pile to get done.

B) Nothing like reinforcing the stereotype of the ill-mannered gun owner, I guess, eh?

C) Next time the po-po pull you over, be SURE to tell them "I pay your salary!"    

I didn't say to call and be an ass about it, or even call every day. Once every week or two after a month or so wouldn't hurt.

And, I haven't been pulled over in nearly 10 years, I'm looking to keep the record going.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top