Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2008 12:56:19 PM EDT
Think we'll see this on the news...???....

« TRP Weekly Report - 7/3/08
SPEAKER NAIFEH LIED ABOUT HAVING GUN PERMIT

NASHVILLE, TN - Public records show that Tennessee House Speaker Jimmy Naifeh lied in order to give himself political cover for his attack gun rights legislation during the last legislative session.

On April 11, nine days after he used parliamentary tricks to kill two pieces of legislation designed to enhance Tennesseans’ gun rights and the privacy of gun permit records, Naifeh claimed he was a friend of gun owners, and stated he was one of more than 190,000 Tennesseans who had a “concealed-weapons permit.” But public records show that Naifeh did not even apply for a handgun carry permit until three weeks later.

In his press release issued April 11, Naifeh wrote, “A few weeks ago I became one of more than 190,000 to earn a concealed-weapons permit.” But the evidence gathered by the Tennessee Firearms Association through open-records requests shows that Naifeh’s boast was a lie - in fact, Naifeh, the powerful Democrat House Speaker, did not even apply for a handgun carry permit until April 21, and could not legally have received his permit until at least a month later.

The TFA documentation also shows Speaker Naifeh may have gotten special treatment in having his application processed quickly.

Here is the chronology:

April 2: Speaker Naifeh uses parliamentary tricks to kill two pieces of gun-rights legislation that had already passed a key House committee - legislation that would have expanded Tennesseans’ rights to carry weapons for self-protection and also protected the identities of handgun carry permit holders. His actions spark a firestorm of criticism from gun rights supporters.

April 11: Speaker Naifeh issues a press release praising himself for his actions and attempting to paint himself as a friend of gun owners and carry permit holders, claiming, “A few weeks ago I became one of more than 190,000 to earn a concealed-weapons permit.”

With that one statement, Speaker Naifeh made it clear that he does not even understand Tennessee’s 15-year-old law establishing the handgun carry permit system, which does not require the permit holder to conceal the weapon when carrying it. With that statement, Naifeh also lied to the people of Tennessee.

After Naifeh issued his press release, the TFA filed an open records request to obtain Jimmy Naifeh’s handgun permit application records - and discovered that Speaker Naifeh lied.

When he issued that press release, Jimmy Naifeh had not even applied for the civilian handgun permit

According to records obtained by the TFA:

Naifeh provided the state with a certificate showing he took a handgun certification class on March 29, 2008, at Brighton Arms with a Smith and Wesson Model 8906 9mm semi-automatic pistol.
However, he did not apply for a civilian handgun permit with the Tennessee Department of Safety until April 21, 2008 - 10 days after he issued a press release claiming he already had a permit.
According to state records, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation completed its required background check on Naifeh on April 22, proving the state can do background checks in one day, if the applicant is politically powerful and connected.
Tennessee Firearms Association executive director John Harris, commenting on the facts on the TFA’s website, noted that Naifeh “was able to get a TBI background check in less than 24 hours whereas most Tennesseans are waiting literally months for renewal permits to be issued.” “Of course,” Harris said, “Jimmy Naifeh has an armed Highway Patrol Officer to protect him while the Tennessee Department of Safety processes his civilian handgun permit application so there should have been no urgency.

On May 12, 2008 - a month and a day after Naifeh claimed he already had his permit - the Tipton County Sheriff completed the local background check that is required before a permit can be issued.
“The documents and facts are inarguable: Tennessee Democrat Jimmy Naifeh lied to the good people of Tennessee in order to provide political cover for his attack on gun owners’ rights,” said Robin Smith, chairman of the Tennessee Republican Party.

“For all his political posturing, Jimmy Naifeh is no friend of gun owner’s rights in Tennessee, and the Democrat legislators who continue to work along side Naifeh in his political theater aren’t either,” Smith said.

Tennessee Republican Party communications director Bill Hobbs said Naifeh’s consistent opposition to gun owners’ rights should be a significant issue for voters this election year. “We agree with Tennessee Firearms Association executive director John Harris, who commented on the TFA’s website that Tennessee voters should demand their legislative candidates commit to not re-electing Naifeh as House Speaker next year.”

Harris said: “Tennesseans across the state can impact the appointment of the Speaker by demanding that all candidates pledge that they will not support Jimmy Naifeh as Speaker when the Legislature re-convenes in January. That should be relatively easy to do with Republicans and Independents. With Democrats it will be necessary to get their pledges - in writing - that they will not vote for Jimmy Naifeh - at any time - as Speaker. It really does not matter who they vote for as long as it is not Jimmy Naifeh. It’s time for Tennessee’s constitutionalists and Second Amendment supporters (the real ones) to make an issue of Jimmy Naifeh.”

-30-

Link Posted: 7/9/2008 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#1]
i have always said that man is full of shit.. thanks for some more proof..
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#2]
If I read it correctly the article never mentioned if he passed the backround check or not.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If I read it correctly the article never mentioned if he passed the backround check or not.

yeah it says it in there somewhere. around the part where it says he was approved within 24 hours. which is bullshit that we have to wait nearly 2-3 months...
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah it says it in there somewhere. around the part where it says he was approved within 24 hours. which is bullshit that we have to wait nearly 2-3 months...

Tennessee Firearms Association executive director John Harris, commenting on the facts on the TFA’s website, noted that Naifeh “was able to get a TBI background check in less than 24 hours whereas most Tennesseans are waiting literally months for renewal permits to be issued

I thought the same thing as you when I first read it. I read it again and noticed they only mentioned he "got a backround check".

I know i'm nit-pickin but wouldn't it be hilarious if he did not pass it?
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#6]
yes it would...

"and i would like to say that i just joined the few tennessee residents that got denied for a handgun carry permit."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top