User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/12/2007 12:12:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Send them this:

The sheriff or chief of police of the city of residence of a person purchasing any firearm, defined by the National Firearms Act, 26 U.S.C. 5845 et seq., shall execute within fifteen (15) business days of any request all documents required to be submitted by the purchaser if the purchaser is not prohibited from possessing firearms pursuant to § 39-17-1316.

If that doesn't work, sue.

ETA: a local gun dealer said the same thing about a surrounding county sheriff. He sent him a copy of the law and explained it was required. The guy complained but signed.
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't bypass him.

Hold his ass to the law. Call the State. Have them send him "clarification".

I would sue, but that's me.

Regarding this:

(b) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the person's conduct:
(1) ...
(7) Involved acquisition or possession of a sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine gun or firearm silencer which is validly registered to the person under federal law in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Records. A person who acquires or possesses a firearm registered as required by this subdivision shall retain proof of registration.
..."

I believe it is similar in wording to the carry permit statute.

Says it's illegal to "Intend to go armed", but it is a "defense to prosecution" if one holds a carry permit.

Someone might want to check that.

F 'em.

HKO
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like someone with some property needs to have the First Annual Machine Gun Shoot pretty soon.

Get a little media coverage and stress the fact that the Sheriff is in fact forcing legal owners to bypass Law Enforcement, Fingerprinting, and Background Checks by taking other legal options.

Make sure the ADA gets some credit also.

Let us know when its planned so we can get our 5320.20s in order.
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I am not a lawyer not do I pretend to play one but, If they are in fact required to sign off it, provided the person in question is not a prohibited person it sound like they should call the TBI and have some people arrested for breaking the law by not signing off. That would send a pretty quick message.
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Don't bypass him.

Hold his ass to the law. Call the State. Have them send him "clarification".

I completely agree with HKO!

Educate them by holding them to the law.

LB
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Perhaps he just needs to bump it up a step to the ADA's (Assistant District Attorney's) boss?

HKO
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 4:48:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Have you contacted the TFA?  They would know where pressure should be applied to get results.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 4:57:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Don't bypass him.

Hold his ass to the law.

Amen. Sue.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 5:17:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 8:11:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I give customers a copy of the law to hand to the LEO with the form 4 etc...
Be nice, be polite etc... If he/she refuse to sign without cause, contact a lawyer.
DO NOT LET THEM OFF THE HOOK! They MUST follow the law just like you and I!!!!!!

www.bteamarms.com

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff287/Bteaminc/tnnfaleo.jpg
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 8:44:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 9:13:02 AM EDT
[#15]
OEF_VET, I see you found my site
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 9:31:17 AM EDT
[#17]
double tap is fine. not big deal.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#18]
How much help or harm would flooding the Cheatham County DA’s office with calls regarding do? I’m sure enough support could be drummed up to keep the DA’s office answering calls for a while.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 10:33:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#20]
OEF, sent you an IM. not sure if it went or not. let me know.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#21]
It sounds as though the ada wants to push the issue into the courts, knowing that most people won't / can't afford / or can't or won't fight.... He most likley will refuse to let any go through until a court orders him to change his interpatation.
Just another road block to stop a transaction....

www.bteamarms.com
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 10:06:14 PM EDT
[#23]
You may want to also contact the board of professional responsibility.  It governs the all attorney's in the state of TN and can revoke or suspend their license if they are found to violate the rules of the court.  I personally can't stand those who are suppose to uphold the law to be ignorant of the law.
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 1:47:37 AM EDT
[#24]
I agree with the idea of a complaint to TBPR.

www.tbpr.org/

Link Posted: 12/14/2007 4:57:25 AM EDT
[#25]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
How much help or harm would flooding the Cheatham County DA’s office with calls regarding do? I’m sure enough support could be drummed up to keep the DA’s office answering calls for a while.

I just don't want to draw unwarranted attention to my customer.  If too many people call the ADA or Sheriff, it wouldn't be too difficult for them to make my customer a persona non grata.  The last thing he needs is a deputy sheriff sitting down his road, looking for any excuse to stop him.

Makes sense.
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 6:03:53 AM EDT
[#26]
This sounds like an ADA who is an ass and a DA who doesn't want to do his job.  

The ADA needs to be prosecuted.  He is violating the law.  If the DA does not fire him, the DA should be prosecuted.

Link Posted: 12/14/2007 6:40:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Is there any reason NRA cant help? This is straight bullshit. This ADA's feelings on the issue are irrelevant, and I dont give a shit if he likes the law or not, he HAS to follow it. Someone needs to force the issue. Lets take up a legal fee's collection on Arfcom and elsewhere and hand this guy his ass.
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 6:43:02 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Is there any reason NRA cant help?

Working on it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 6:53:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Good, anybody who is not infuriated by stuff like this is an enemy of gun rights, period.
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#30]
You should post this on GD and launch a fire mission, assuming your customer isnt trying to be discreet.
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is a link to a .PDF version of the Shall Sign law that Govenor Bredesen signed.

TN Shall Sign law   .PDF format
I have never voted for a Democrat before but once he did that he had my vote.

LB
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 12:14:30 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted: Is there any reason NRA cant help?

The fact the NRA loves to throw the NFA community under the bus? I'm not even a NFA owner yet because I'm a broke-ass E-5, but I meet way too many skeet snobs and deer hunters at the NRA building when I go.
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
BTEAMARMS,

The problem arises because the ADA refuses to use common sense.

He says that the mere possession of an NFA weapon is illegal, therefore prohibited, meaning the Sheriff doesn't have to sign.  He stated that an affirmative defense means the arresstee will have to try his luck in front of a judge and jury.

Of course, if we extrapolate that idea further, that menas the Williamson County Sheriff's Department's SRT is manned by a bunch of unconvicted felons, for they all possess suppressors for their FN PS90's.  Oh, and the soldiers on Fort Campbell need to be arressted, also.  They can then go to court and use an affirmative defense that they were acting within their military duties, in accordance with TCA 39-17-1302, (b)(1).

Somethings just don't pass the common sense test, and some folks just don't use common sense.

The law doesnt saw affirmative defense, it says defense from prosecution.  AFAIK those are two completely different things.  One says "yes, judge I broke the law but it was ok for me to do it because... (affirmative defense)"  The other says sorry Mr. DA you can't take this to court because....(defense from prosecution).  

<----I'm not a lawyer but I did play one on a  mock trial team
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

The fact the NRA loves to throw the NFA community under the bus? I'm not even a NFA owner yet because I'm a broke-ass E-5, but I meet way too many skeet snobs and deer hunters at the NRA building when I go.

You need to hit a different NRA building............      

Given where you are though, this isn't too surprising, IMO. It is what it is, I guess.
Link Posted: 12/19/2007 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#35]
I saw over on Bowers sight a thread about getting the County Coroner to sign off on NFA stuff.
http://www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsg.cgi?read=635441
Link Posted: 12/19/2007 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I saw over on Bowers sight a thread about getting the County Coroner to sign off on NFA stuff.
http://www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsg.cgi?read=635441

That won't help in this case because Tennessee does not have Coroners.  We have a Medical Examiner system, and I don't think our MEs have any type of law enforcement authority.
Link Posted: 12/19/2007 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted: You need to hit a different NRA building............      

Given where you are though, this isn't too surprising, IMO. It is what it is, I guess.

I was talking about the big one in Fairfax, VA. I volunteer at the Museum when I'm up there on leave, and in fact pitched in a little when the NFM did the Thompson exhibit. Yeah, it was a draw for the Museum, but nobody on the legislative side really wants to play Save the Machine Guns since they're even more politically incorrect than the "assault" rifles.
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 5:24:53 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I spoke with the State Representative for Franklin, Mr. Glen Casada, today in regards to this issue.  He is going to request an opinion vis a vis TCA 39-17-1361 for me from the State Attorney General.  He is also going to request an opinion regarding carrying smooth-bore handguns, aka AOW's, with a TN Handgun Carry Permits.

So, you are going through with that after all?  awesome.  good luck, and keep us updated.
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 6:58:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Wow, this is all very strange news to me. A buddy of mine just turned in 3 short barrel rifle forms and 2 forms for silencers in Cheatham County a few weeks back and it only took him 4-5 weeks to get it all completed.

I'll ask him who did the work and who to talk to.
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 7:29:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Frank, I sent a pm to you with contact info. I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/24/2007 4:03:16 AM EDT
[#42]
I was going to SBR an AK pistol back in October. Talked to the Sheriff of Cheatham Co. himself on the phone. It was a Wednesday and I was going to meet him on a Friday. He gave me his direct number so I could make sure he was in his office before I drove down there. Over the next two days I decided against the SBR hassle and just forgot about it.

Point being he didn't seem to have any problem with me getting it SBR'd, at least none that he mentioned. He seemed helpful.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 8:57:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Any resolution to this problem?
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#44]
It looks like Frank is right and something fishy is going on in Cheatham County. I just talked to my buddy and he said his paperwork was denied this time (another suppressor) because the DA (Bob Wilson) has been putting his 2 cents in and has the sheriff (John Holder) somehow convinced that suppressors are illegal .

I asked him why he signed off on the last 3 he's done in the last few months if they were considered "illegal" and he said he's going to look into it further (he's close friends with the assistant DA).

He said he could spend money and fight it but he's going to look into what's really going on first and see if the assistant DA (who is VERY pro-firearms) can get to the bottom of it first.

Link Posted: 1/3/2008 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
It looks like Frank is right and something fishy is going on in Cheatham County.

Gee, that's never happened there before..................    
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 5:21:00 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It looks like Frank is right and something fishy is going on in Cheatham County.

Gee, that's never happened there before..................    

No kidding, I moved out of that corrupt county 4 years ago. Ashland City and Pleasant View are one horse towns with a 2 horse price tag on them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 6:47:10 AM EDT
[#47]
OEF_VET, check your email.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#48]
any update?

I live in Maury county and have not had an issue with our CLEO.

Actually, he was a hell of a guy.  Offered for me to come shoot with him and his guys.

Link Posted: 6/17/2008 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#49]

Any update, OEF_VET?

BTW, we tried to pass a similar "shall issue" NFA law in VA, but it didn't make it.

Link Posted: 6/17/2008 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Waiting for update also.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top