BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2007 5:20:33 AM EDT
DELETE
Link Posted: 6/29/2007 7:42:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't seen anything, and I have a large shoot planned for July 6th on the west side of Utah Lake.

If anybody has any information, that would be great.

Semper Fidelis,

Kent

Edit:

Found this, but it doesn't say it is banned, they just want common sense:

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_6230285
Link Posted: 6/29/2007 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Make sure to take some fire extinguishers and don't shoot towards the fire if there are crews out there. The last thing we need is some idiot ruining it for everyone else.
Link Posted: 6/29/2007 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I did a little searching this morning, but couldn't find anything more about it. I decided that I was going to go out to Skull Valley, so I called Tooele County dispatch and they said there is no restrictions as of yet, but to use common sense.

I just called Utah County dispatch and they said that all areas of Utah County are closed to shooting for the time being because of the fire danger.

I tossed a shovel and an extra extinguisher in the truck just in case before I headed out this morning. The damn hot wind that was blowing out there would have made trying to fight a fire by myself a pretty futile effort, even with the extinguishers and shovel. I wonder if I can rent a wildland fire truck for my next trip out?

Here are some phone numbers so you can check on things before you head out to shoot:

Utah County Dispatch (801)851-4100

Tooele County Dispatch (435)882-5600

Link Posted: 6/30/2007 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Under no circumstance do you want to violate these restrictions.  If you are caught, they can confiscate your firearms and you can be assessed the bill for firefighting efforts.  the Mercer Canyon fire is expected to reach $1mil+.

Fighting a wildland fire by yourself is a losing venture.  If you have 4-5 people and you catch it before it gets out of control, you have a chance.  If it hits tall bushes and trees, you're screwed.
Link Posted: 6/30/2007 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The County Fire Chief has put out that shooting in the un-incorporated areas of Utah county have been banned indefinately. Anyone caught shooting will be cited. Anyone that causes a fire will be charged criminally and billed for the cost of putting it out.

For any further question I would contact their office.
Link Posted: 7/1/2007 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#6]
How often has Utah county been shutdown to shooting because of the fire hazard?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 7/3/2007 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/3/2007 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#8]
You guys shooting flint bullets down there in UT?
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Some people like to shoot rocks...
I never understood that my self.

I wonder if any gun ranges are open today.
Link Posted: 7/5/2007 6:31:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Lead bullets, jacketed or not, don't throw sparks when they hit rocks.  Tracers can set fires, as happened in the foothills above Boise a few years ago when a cop pulled a boo-boo.  Catalytic converters on vehicles can set grass on fire.  But lead bullets don't set fires.  You guys are being fed a bunch of BS.
Link Posted: 7/5/2007 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lead bullets, jacketed or not, don't throw sparks when they hit rocks.  Tracers can set fires, as happened in the foothills above Boise a few years ago when a cop pulled a boo-boo.  Catalytic converters on vehicles can set grass on fire.  But lead bullets don't set fires.  You guys are being fed a bunch of BS.

Steel core bullets will spark when they hit rocks.  I've done it and have a friend who lit up Stansbury Island when he bump fired a hillside with steel core ammo.

Federal had some steel core ammo get mixed up into their lead FMJ lots in the past.  Before the Ironman started there was a warning about the bad lots and MGM told people to check their ammo so they wouldn't have to replace steel they damaged.  If people got bad lots of ammo they could unknowingly believe they are GTG and spray into a rocky hillside.
Link Posted: 7/5/2007 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its the "MORMON exception" as it applies to common sense ! most dont have any
Link Posted: 7/5/2007 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Steel core bullets will spark when they hit rocks.  I've done it and have a friend who lit up Stansbury Island when he bump fired a hillside with steel core ammo.

Federal had some steel core ammo get mixed up into their lead FMJ lots in the past.  Before the Ironman started there was a warning about the bad lots and MGM told people to check their ammo so they wouldn't have to replace steel they damaged.  If people got bad lots of ammo they could unknowingly believe they are GTG and spray into a rocky hillside.

So nobody can shoot 22s, or pistols, or shotguns, or conventional rifle ammo in the whole county until the powers-that-be decide to give their permission again?  You guys should be raising a stink.  This is a bad precedent.
Link Posted: 7/5/2007 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Much of the 7.62x54r on the market right now is light AP and it will cause sparks.  I have seen it myself.  Also, all wolf rifle ammo uses bi-metal jackets, which has a small % of steel which could possibly spark.
Link Posted: 7/7/2007 7:17:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Its the "MORMON exception" as it applies to common sense ! most dont have any

Meaning what?
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
So nobody can shoot 22s, or pistols, or shotguns, or conventional rifle ammo in the whole county until the powers-that-be decide to give their permission again?  You guys should be raising a stink.  This is a bad precedent.

That is not correct. Nobody can go shoot out in the unincorporated areas of the county. Any of the developed ranges are fine. I'm not exactly sure what we should raise a stink about, since there are quite a few places that prohibit shooting entirely.  The precedent to ban shooting entirely is already there. Perhaps you'd prefer they impose that?

Considering the conditions and the costs associated with fires, it doesn't seem that unreasonable.

I'm not saying I'm particularly happy about it, but under the circumstances, it probably is for the best.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh man I was out shooting at Saratoga springs yesterday there were a few others shooting. I was putzing around with my 338 RUM. Being newish to the area is that are off limits now due to the ban or is it ok?
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#18]
That is exactly the area to which the ban refers.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#19]
This would mean that the cops will not be able to discharge firearms - Now I understand why they have to physically beat up and jail 80 year old women in Utah County.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I'm not exactly sure what we should raise a stink about, since there are quite a few places that prohibit shooting entirely.  The precedent to ban shooting entirely is already there. Perhaps you'd prefer they impose that?

That's precisely the point.  Lot's of places already off limits to shooting, And now they are using a BS reason to shut off more.  As far as BLM is concerned, it is the King's land and the subjects should stay off of it.  If you doubt that is their attitude attend one of their public meetings and see for yourself.
Link Posted: 7/21/2007 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Just keep driving west toward Tooele.  There are some cool bunker looking things that make a great backstop out there.  (just kidding)he
Load em up!
Link Posted: 7/23/2007 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#22]
For the guys in Utah county, go down Spanish Fork canyon, turn right on Highway 89, and 1.5 miles or so later, use the Sheriff's range.
Open to the public for now.

I went with a buddy two weekends ago, and the place was empty.
Figured it'd be packed with the number of people complaining about not being able to shoot.

Great rifle range.  Had the place all to ourselves.

Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top