Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2014 12:58:47 AM EDT
Can someone on here please tell me all about Beaverton?  Was down there and love love LOVE that area!!!!

How is the crime down there etc?  What about gun laws?

I love the mall there (Washington Square)!!! That basically sold me *giggles*
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:07:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Seriously? meh...
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:13:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seriously? meh...
View Quote

Not so yummy???  Tell me why you think it is meh...I need some opinions and I know that Arf is always my go to place *lol*
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:01:24 AM EDT
[#3]

It's crowded, traffic is a mess, and that was 30 years ago. Now it's worse. It's not known as a crime prone area, gun laws are fine but I think airsoft is banned. TCGC is the best range in the area, about 20-30 minutes south of the mall, depending on traffic. Someone will come along soon and say traffic is fine compared to downtown LA or Seattle. If you move into the area stay out of the 100 year flood plain as it floods more often than that.  

ETA: Check out Bad Drivers of Portland. About 50% of the clips are from the Beaverton area:

http://www.youtube.com/user/kyogre6444

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:12:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's crowded, traffic is a mess, and that was 30 years ago. Now it's worse. It's not known as a crime prone area, gun laws are fine but I think airsoft is banned. TCGC is the best range in the area, about 20-30 minutes south of the mall, depending on traffic. Someone will come along soon and say traffic is fine compared to downtown LA or Seattle. If you move into the area stay out of the 100 year flood plain as it floods more often than that.  

ETA: Check out Bad Drivers of Portland. About 50% of the clips are from the Beaverton area:

View Quote

I was on 217 and that was a straight parking lot *lol*...Comparable to Seattle I would say....I am sure I will find the back roads, hopefully...

How are the meet-ups with you guys...Do you guys get together often to shoot, have parties etc?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:30:42 AM EDT
[#5]

We used to have big open shoots with BBQ's in forest ranges years ago. Now it's invite only to lesser known semi-private clearings in the forest or long range on the other side of the mountains. If you get involved and known in shooting disciplines here the invites will follow. I don't like to drive far so haven't gone to anything special since 2008 IIRC. I just go to TCGC for regular competition shoots, mostly rifle, these days.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:36:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We used to have big open shoots with BBQ's in forest ranges years ago. Now it's invite only to lesser known semi-private clearings in the forest or long range on the other side of the mountains. If you get involved and known in shooting disciplines here the invites will follow. I don't like to drive far so haven't gone to anything special since 2008 IIRC. I just go to TCGC for regular competition shoots, mostly rifle, these days.
View Quote

That's good to know...I just don't want to be down there and not know a soul...Been there done that (when I moved here).

So it's good to know that I will have my fellow Arfom-ians *lol*
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Love the video, it could be applied to Oregon drivers as a whole - bloody incompetent!
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Love the video, it could be applied to Oregon drivers as a whole - bloody incompetent!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you guys driven up here in WA?  I have to repent every single time before I get in the car...

They act like that water that falls out of the sky, never ever graces us with its presence.  Uhhhh, it rains here all the damn time, how do you not know how to drive in it...Cars are built with these weird little things called windshield wipers...Use those bitches and get going...

*sigh*
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:18:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Have you guys driven up here in WA?  I have to repent every single time before I get in the car...

They act like that water that falls out of the sky, never ever graces us with its presence.  Uhhhh, it rains here all the damn time, how do you not know how to drive in it...Cars are built with these weird little things called windshield wipers...Use those bitches and get going...

*sigh*
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*sigh*

No different here, and yes, WA drivers are the worst left lane hoggers on the planet!
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No different here, and yes, WA drivers are the worst left lane hoggers on the planet!
View Quote

Ain't that the truth....Why is your punk ass in the left lane going slowly??? Ohhhhhh emmmmm geee that will make me cuss someone out...Move the hell over...

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Back to the original topic. Beaverton is not a bad place to live, but the main thoroughfares are always overcrowded, their downtown is awful during rush hour. I live in Garden Home, an unincorporated area between Beaverton and Portland. That allows me to enjoy lower property taxes, but still have good transportation links. 5 minutes to Washington Square, 10 minutes to downtown PDX, and it's a good safe neighborhood. As for our gun laws, they are good at the moment, however I'm very concerned when the legislature re-convenes in February. Oregon ran counter to the red wave in the last election and went bluer, which will not bode well for gun rights in the state.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Back to the original topic. Beaverton is not a bad place to live, but the main thoroughfares are always overcrowded, their downtown is awful during rush hour. I live in Garden Home, an unincorporated area between Beaverton and Portland. That allows me to enjoy lower property taxes, but still have good transportation links. 5 minutes to Washington Square, 10 minutes to downtown PDX, and it's a good safe neighborhood. As for our gun laws, they are good at the moment, however I'm very concerned when the legislature re-convenes in February. Oregon ran counter to the red wave in the last election and went bluer, which will not bode well for gun rights in the state.
View Quote

I will look in that area as well!!!

Thanks for all your help, really....I did notice while I was there that the mall was a mad house.  Loved the mall though...It was super nice...Not comparable at all to the malls here...
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks for all your help, really....I did notice while I was there that the mall was a mad house.  Loved the mall though...It was super nice...Not comparable at all to the malls here...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you love the mall, you've got to be a woman - as I say to my wife, unless it's a gun, or motorcycle shop, I don't like shopping.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#15]
217 is the worst for driving. Welcome to Oregon.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you love the mall, you've got to be a woman - as I say to my wife, unless it's a gun, or motorcycle shop, I don't like shopping.
View Quote

Yep guilty as charged!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Multnomah Village is right by Garden Home and Washington Square.

This is probably my favorite neighborhood in Portland.

I would not consider Beaverton as a place to live though.
View Quote

Ok tell me what's wrong with Beaverton...Be honest!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:01:47 AM EDT
[#18]
It's no worse than you are used to I'd say. Schools are known to be decent. Politics used to be screwed up with the old mayor but haven't heard anything bad about the guy in office now. It has a reputation for traffic cops to be really aggressive about writing tickets and they were the 1st to use red light cameras. They like the revenue.  I hate the traffic there. Way too many cars on roads designed 40 years ago. I used to work there. Company moved 10 years ago to Hillsboro and in those last 10 years I have been to Beaverton maybe 3 times. Are you going to be working or retired? The outlying communities would have way more appeal to me.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, I don't have to worry about commuting which is very nice...I saw a house that was a mile or so away from Sholes Ferry....

And I understand the Kent reference *lol*

Well I am still looking, so I will let you guys know what I decide.

Thanks so much for everyone's help...Keep the opinions coming
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:31:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I think there are really nice areas anywhere you look. I work in downtown PDX so traffic isn't fun. But the bull mt area where I live is great. Very quiet and no crime to speak of. It's close to progress ridge which is nice. Plus you have any and all amenities very close by. Welcome!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:10:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I will second beaverton as being Meh.  I have a few friends that live in Beavertron, and its crowded, traffic sucks, and everything seems very sprawled out.  Around the Holidays (aka right now) 217 seems to be akin to a parking lot between 7am and 7pm.  Depending on where you are going to be working and such, look at Tualatin or maybe even Sherwood.  I lived on the East end of Hillsboro right on the border with Beaverton and once we moved further west into suburbia, I got a lot better sleep at night.  Turns out I like where I live to be peaceful and quiet.  But YMMV.  If you like the chaos and bustle, beaverton can be kind of nice.  But be prepared for some crime and bad traffic.  I know the Tailer of Cock seems to like Multnomah Village.  I think it's ok, but its not that special IMO.  Before you move anywhere down here though, take a day and drive around.  Go to all of these areas and see what its like.  Run the map on your phone and just go drive around.  Even in crappy towns there are great neighborhoods.  We live in a fairly blah town, crime wise and such, but the neighborhood we live in is great.  Super friendly and quiet.  So there are some gems out there, even in Beaverton.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Yar!!!!  Thar be Beavers thar.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top