Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2017 8:22:49 PM EDT
So I've bought a house and moving out of the apartment I'm in.  New property management came in a couple of months ago and required everyone to sign new leases (didn't specify what would happen if you didn't, but of course were insinuating exorbitant rate increases) which I did after talking to the new property management and letting them know I was looking for a house.  They said they didn't have any lease breaking terms and they would work with me it was no problem, which I should have known was not the case.

So I am moving out Friday, and they are requiring me to turn in the keys then.  Caveat is they are requiring me to pay for July yet require me to not be able to use the apartment either.  Also, they are holding the next tenant's lease hostage until I turn over the keys, and say they will break his lease if I fail to give them the keys Friday.  I really have no issue paying for July, I am breaking the lease, but it doesn't seem right to A) make me pay for something I am barred from using and B) be dicks to the next potential renter.

Am I wrong here?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Your lease doesn't say anything about terminating the lease early?

I've only rented through 3 management companies but each had terms in the lease. One was that lease could be terminated at any time but the fee was one month's rent. Other was 60 days from the date of notice but no additional payment.

I dunno paying a month's rent as "penalty" seems normal but the other stuff is weird and they phrased it odd too.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope, no terms to breaking the lease.  After reading some reviews of the company I'm not surprised.  Lots of not returning security deposits for things that were broken before someone moved in admitted in responses by the management company, only the BBB exposure making them change their minds, so not just unhappy tenants.  Personally, they have left my apartment door unlocked multiple times both when contractors were doing "upgrades" and sudden "inspections" that just had to be done, plus the contractors made a mess of my washer and dryer, leaving the dryer unhooked from the vent.  Today they did an impromptu inspection of the work the contractors were doing and turned my mini fridge off. :/  I was lucky I was earlier than usual getting home.  When I complained they were leaving my door unlocked the response was "well we only have one key for your apartment."  I must be doing it wrong as I've never had any trouble locking my door with a single key.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:03:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope, no terms to breaking the lease.  .
View Quote
No terms no need to pay them shit. Give them the keys when you leave and tell them to pound sand if they ask for money.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 5:30:25 AM EDT
[#4]
What does lease say?  That is all that matters.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Company's name so we know who to avoid?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Take pictures or video of the entire apartment. They will be trying to keep your deposit . Be safe
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Get out! give them the key and don't think another thought about them. Celebrate your new house and move on. I have learned that success in life is a great revenge to BS like this.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What does lease say?  That is all that matters.
View Quote
As never having been a lawyer, ^^^
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Let me guess...

"American Homes For Rent" is your leaseholder ?

We send those fuckers $1680/mo, on time, every month... keep and maintain the house/property in tiptop shape... and yet fully expect them to screw us out of our security deposit when we move out.
They have also raised our rent $65/month the last two lease renewals.

It's what they do.

Wish we had done more research on the company before committing to this property. We could mortgage it for far less... but they won't sell.
They will keep raising the rent until we cannot afford to live here anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top