Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2014 4:55:43 PM EDT
I've got rain leaking into the cab of my 2001 Dodge Ram. Soaking the driver and/or passenger front floorboards (different day-to-day). It isn't the AC leaking, so it's coming from the outside.

Any of y'all recommend a place in Cobb/Paulding/Bartow that does leak detection?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Had the windshield replaced anytime recently?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope, but it was replaced by the previous owner. It's gotta be the windshield or the door seals.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope, but it was replaced by the previous owner. It's gotta be the windshield or the door seals.
View Quote

You could do the door seal your self, shouldn't be too difficult or time consuming.

Would also help narrow down the possible causes without wasting money on someone else doing it for you.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably your cowl vent. In front of your windshield on the outside before your good will be a vent. That water that goes on there should come out a hose. Bottom of that house is plugged.

On all my Chrysler and jeeps it has been about a 1" rubber hose that is just sort of pinched together at the end. It gets dirt and junk in there and plugs it. Just squeeze the pinched part the opposite way and it typically falls out.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Check this out, it's not a too uncommon issue.

http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=89545
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the advice. I'm tired of tracking it down and don't wanna do it anymore.  I make plenty of money and wanna pay someone to find the problem for me.  When I get to that point, either they can fix it or I will.

It's a Quad Cab truck........the door seals are over 10' long each and ain't cheap. I don't wanna replace stuff piece by piece trying to find the issue.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#7]
My truck doesn't have a cowl vent
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My truck doesn't have a cowl vent
View Quote

The truck has a hood, firewall, windshield, and wipers and that is what matters. There is the pan area below where the windshield meets the hood and firewall and the area where the wiper motors are, both collect water and if the hose or channel is clogged, the water finds another route IE down the firewall and into the cabs floorboards. Firewalls are not really sealed anymore as there is to much stuff entering and exiting the passenger area. The truck is over twelve years old so the cables have moved and wiggled creating holes and gaps. A cable gasket could have popped out and is hanging on the cable and not plugging the firewall penetration.

Remember water will always follow the path of least resistance. So if the drain or channel is clogged, the water fills up the void like a pond and when the pond can't hold anymore water, the water flows away from the pond taking the path of least resistance. Since the area was meant to trap water then exit it by drain or channel, the truck maker didn't put extra waterproofing or a second catch with a drain below it, hence it flows into the cab if that is the easiest path to follow. Water will hit a cable, hose, vent, whatever, cling/follow it, hit the firewall, and follow the whatever into the cab. Once inside, it runs to the lowest point collecting on the floor boards.

The hard part is if it is following a hose or vent, there will most likely not be a side or front area wet as the water is coming in, the hose or vent turns up once inside the cab and the water is free falling to the floorboard, not running down the inside firewall. If you are lucky, you can feel above the floorboard up under the dash and feel where its wet then the water is coming in about that. My neighbor found his leak by using a home inspectors wet home moisture detector.

This also happens often if somebody put extra stereo or radio gear in the truck and was not careful how they came through the firewall.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I've looked for the leak for a while. Can't find it and I've put all the work into it I'm gonna put into it. At this point I just wanna throw money at the problem and make it go away, so I need a shop that detects leaks. Or a knowledgeable person that wants to come and do it for pay.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll be honest with you. It is hard to find a shop that "specializes" in that sort of thing. I provide fluids to most of the repair shops in Georgia and I have noticed that these shops will tell you they can fix anything. You have to pick their brain and ask them things like how they would fix it? Where would they start looking? Have they seen it before? I have seen people get screwed because someone "knew what they were doing" and just started throwing parts at a car
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a business to a place called "Leak Tech" or somesuch, that specializes in leak detection. Can't find the card anymore and was hoping someone here would recommend a place that they had a previous, positive experience with.

I genuinely appreciate all the suggestions proffered so far. Not trying to blow anyone off, or seem unappreciative, I'm just to the point where I ain't doing it myself.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I know your frustration.  My old Ranger continues to leak and I've tried everything I can think of.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Found a place in Marietta called Seal Tech that specializes in this sorta thing.........or that's what I've been told. I'll call them tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:13:22 AM EDT
[#14]
2009 Ram 1500 - 4 door, leaks badly around rear roof area, water ends up in compartment below rear seats. Haven't tried to fix yet, so TAG.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
2009 Ram 1500 - 4 door, leaks badly around rear roof area, water ends up in compartment below rear seats. Haven't tried to fix yet, so TAG.
View Quote

Your's is almost guaranteed to be the third brake light.  It's a very welll known problem in 4th generation Rams.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I had water leaking into the cab of my truck a couple of years ago and it was coming from the roof mounted brake light assembly, the seal had gone bad in it and it was leaking in through the roof and down behind the seats. It wasn't a Ram but an F150. I had to have the whole brake light assembly replaced to the tune of 300.00.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:39:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I have this on an 04 dodge ram. The windshield was replaced a while ago. When it rains and the truck is pointed in the right direction it comes in from the top middle right.

Would a brand new windshield need to be replaced or can someone "reseal" it in that spot?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Probably your cowl vent. In front of your windshield on the outside before your good will be a vent. That water that goes on there should come out a hose. Bottom of that house is plugged.

On all my Chrysler and jeeps it has been about a 1" rubber hose that is just sort of pinched together at the end. It gets dirt and junk in there and plugs it. Just squeeze the pinched part the opposite way and it typically falls out.
View Quote

im thinking this!! had this issue with a jeep of mine
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:57:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seal the 3rd brake light.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:43:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Clean the truck up and wait for a sunny day.

Then trade it in.

View Quote

This was my first thought...
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Ain't no way I'm trading or selling it!  Love that 24 valve Cummins Turbo Diesel. She'll blow smoke like a locomotive!

I had the windshield replaced and I replaced all the door seals myself. Then I removed all the seats, seatbelts, carpet, etc. Stripped the cab down to the metal. There were several spots with surface rust. I stripped those down to bare metal ,treated them and coated the entire floor pan with DIY bedliner.  I stripped out all the nasty soundproofing and replaced it with anti-fatigue matting that I cut to fit. It's closed cell and won't hold moisture, oughta soundproof better than the old stuff.

Shampooed all the carpet.   Thoroughly cleaned all the seat mounts and areas under the seats and in the springs and such. Shampooed the seats. Put everything all back together.

She's stayed bone-dry through the recent rains, so I guess I've got it licked.  Smells a lot better!
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:07:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Did it a couple of weeks ago. I got the truck for $2650 a few years ago, so it's a keeper!
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Did it a couple of weeks ago. I got the truck for $2650 a few years ago, so it's a keeper!
View Quote

for a 2001 with cummins?

you stole it.

post a pic of it!
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

for a 2001 with cummins?

you stole it.

post a pic of it!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

for a 2001 with cummins?

you stole it.

post a pic of it!

Stolen hell... That was armed robbery!
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#27]
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, short bed, 4WD

Outta town right now. I'll post a pic when I can.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Requested pic

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Requested pic

http://i.imgur.com/TOzZHIT.jpg
View Quote

you bought THAT for 2650?

was it a salvage title and you put it back together?

if not, who did you buy it from? I'd like to know that person to find out what I can buy from him....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top