Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/14/2008 4:09:26 PM EDT
His mother called me at home and gave me details.

I'll relay them as accurately as possible as they were told to me.

He is 23 and awaiting deployment in the Marines.

He purchased the GSG-5 from my shop Friday.

Apparently he was broke down on the side of the road and his mother was on the way to pick him up. Before she got there a Treutlen Co deputy arrived on the scene and the rifle became an issue at some point.

When his mother arrived they had him cuffed in the back of the patrol car and she was informed that he was heading to jail until they could assess the situation.

I told her there shouldn't be a problem so long as he didn't modify the gun in any way shape or form. Unfourtantly, knowing this guy that is a real possibility. How difficult would it be to unscrew the barrel and prove the fake can was nothing more than cosmetic.

TD
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow...paging DKING...this is all you!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Tree knows how to reach me.
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Still remember the look on the girls face when I brought my GSG in to shoot at the indoor range.

LOTS of FUN.

Looking at it I can't see how it would be modified unless he sawed off the barrel. No way I can see to make it go FA. The trigger group has nothing to do with a real MP5
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#4]
The Sheriff just called me at home inquiring about the status of the gun ETC. He wanted to know if they came from the factory like the one he was holding and I told him they did.

I told him they were looking at a barrel shroud and nothing more so long as the gun was still in it's factory configuration. I also told him there was a set screw in the bottom on the shroud near the receiver. I told him once that was removed he could remove the shroud and verify that it was nothing more than a shroud. I also loosely explained the BATF's definition of the "silencer".

He told me it sure looked like a silencer and that was the end of our conversation.

TD
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#5]
actually it looks a lot more like wrongful arrest and healthy attorneys fees...
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 4:55:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

He was just released and all of his guns have been returned. He also told me one of the deputies tried to buy the GSG from him on his way out the door. He gave him one of my cards and told him to contact me tomorrow.

DK, I'm sure he's game if you are....

Just let me know and I will get you guys together.

TD
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Tree

Let us know if we can help the young Devil Dog.

If he is released tonight and can make it back to his unit in time, I would advise him to keep his mouth shut. No need to piss of the Gunny.

If not he will need to call some one in chain of command to let them know where he is located.

The Bald Monk

ETA.. Never mind..glad to hear the good news.
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Sometimes the setscrew ISNT installed from the factory at that point the fake can would just screw right off.  Even if the set screw is installed the fake cans are a three piece unit with the tube and two end caps that are threaded into the tube.  Ive got the setscrew installed on mine but I can still remove the fake can if I wanted to.  

What would happen is the one end cap would remain in the front sight base and it would just come off with the fube and the cap at the end around the muzzle of the barrel.

If need be I can let him use mine as a demonstration if need be.

Link Posted: 12/14/2008 5:01:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Get them good
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 5:03:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was just released and all of his guns have been returned. He also told me one of the deputies tried to buy the GSG from him on his way out the door. He gave him one of my cards and told him to contact me tomorrow.

DK, I'm sure he's game if you are....

Just let me know and I will get you guys together.

TD

Well the important thing now is making sure it doesn't happen again. like DeKalb and their SBR theory.
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sometimes the setscrew ISNT installed from the factory at that point the fake can would just screw right off.  Even if the set screw is installed the fake cans are a three piece unit with the tube and two end caps that are threaded into the tube.  Ive got the setscrew installed on mine but I can still remove the fake can if I wanted to.  

What would happen is the one end cap would remain in the front sight base and it would just come off with the fube and the cap at the end around the muzzle of the barrel.

I have one of thes first three that we ever got in and mine has no set screw at all.

That's weird.

Did he think about inviting the future defendant to shoot the gun w/ and w/o then "silencer"?
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one of thes first three that we ever got in and mine has no set screw at all.

That's weird.

Did he think about inviting the future defendant to shoot the gun w/ and w/o then "silencer"?

He did just what you suggested...

He told them to fire the gun right there on the side of the road but they decided against it.

Hell, people are shooting guns from the road at night all the time around here. The locals call it deer hunting.

TD
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#13]
It sounds like the Sheriff used his brain.
Good for him.
Rather than sue his department, why doesn't some one offer to conduct free training on the subject of SBR's and suppressor.

Perhaps Tree can sponsor a guest speaker from GCO.
The GCO speaker can educated the DSO's on the appropriate laws
Tree can pass out more business cards
GCO can pass out "Guns saves lives" button.
Hell give the Sheriff a free membership for doing the right thing.

The Bald Monk
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's weird.

You know where I got mine from..... I got the Third one that you ever got in.  The set screw was in the ziplock baggie that the owners manual and such were in.  They also supplied a little allen wrench to install it with in the baggie.  I have the allen wrench stuck in the end compartment of the screw driver handle.  

If you look in the bottom of the FSB you can see the hole for it.

Link Posted: 12/14/2008 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Free is so expensive though...
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 5:29:35 PM EDT
[#16]
yeah , but what you atlanta guys don't know is that if you want an idea of truetlen co. watch the movie "my cousin vinnie"
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I think the Sheriff handled this situation like a professional. In a larger county I doubt the Sheriff would have bothered to call, but I've been wrong before.

At least he was smart enough to call and ask what he was holding before this got blown out of proportion.

This was a situation were cooler heads did prevail.

I'll discuss the possibility of sponsoring a speaker from the GCO with DK very soon.

TD
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
yeah , but what you atlanta guys don't know is that if you want an idea of truetlen co. watch the movie "my cousin vinnie"

"you go tell your big city lawyer..." right tree...
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's weird.

You know where I got mine from..... I got the Third one that you ever got in.  The set screw was in the ziplock baggie that the owners manual and such were in.  They also supplied a little allen wrench to install it with in the baggie.  I have the allen wrench stuck in the end compartment of the screw driver handle.  

If you look in the bottom of the FSB you can see the hole for it.

oh, I threw that shit away
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Good for him.
Rather than sue his department, why doesn't some one offer to conduct free training on the subject of SBR's and suppressor.

The Bald Monk

Why stop there? Maybe they can get free training donated for the GCA and FOPA besides the NFA. Maybe we can chip in and get free training for all those pesky laws they enforce. After all we have to know every law on the books and follow them. Hey wait a minute...don't we already pay for that training with our tax dollars?
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 3:43:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good for him.

The Bald Monk

Why stop there? Maybe they can get free training donated for the GCA and FOPA besides the NFA. Maybe we can chip in and get free training for all those pesky laws they enforce. After all we have to know every law on the books and follow them. Hey wait a minute...don't we already pay for that training with our tax dollars?

you have a point. BUT.

I'd rather chip in a few bucks and refresh their minds than get jacked up for NOT breaking the law.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 4:49:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Hey DKing what about Dekalb and thier SBR theory. is there some thing i shoud be aware about in that county
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 4:55:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good for him.

The Bald Monk

Easy for you to say when you weren't the guy in bracelets, and your first ding on your record for doing nothing wrong.  

I would be tickled to see the arresting officer do a couple years for false arrest, illegal imprisonment, capital kidnapping, and assault with a deadly weapon, violation of civil rights.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse on my end... but if you wear a badge, and are paid to enforce said laws, well... you can't be expected to know them all.

Link Posted: 12/15/2008 5:03:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's weird.

He did just what you suggested...

He told them to fire the gun right there on the side of the road but they decided against it.

Hell, people are shooting guns from the road at night all the time around here. The locals call it deer hunting.

TD

I thought it had to be in someone else's front yard to be considered hunting.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 5:52:20 AM EDT
[#25]
My customer called me last night after he got home.

He said he was chained to a bench several hours and the cuffs were so tight he pronounced rings around each wrist.

He said their attitude did a 180 after they removed the barrel shroud and discovered it was not an evil silencer.

He was pleased he didn't have to spend the night in jail and so was I.

Ignorance is not a valid excuse where the law is concerned, no matter which side of the badge you might find yourself on.

TD
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 6:16:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Shoot....that is a pretty interesting story.

I probably would have tried the stupid and direct approach.

"Shoot in the air yourself, you'll see it ain't quiet at all"
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 6:43:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good for him.

The Bald Monk

Easy for you to say when you weren't the guy in bracelets, and your first ding on your record for doing nothing wrong.  

I would be tickled to see the arresting officer do a couple years for false arrest, illegal imprisonment, capital kidnapping, and assault with a deadly weapon, violation of civil rights.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse on my end... but if you wear a badge, and are paid to enforce said laws, well... you can't be expected to know them all.

Yes it easy for me to say that because I was not the one in handcuffs

Treedawg, correct me if I am wrong but the young Devil Dog was not arrested just detained so there will be not blot on his record.

Yes it stinks he was detained due to an officer's ignorance and that he was treated poorly until the Sheriff got it right.

I do not see how hammering the officer, the sheriff and the department with a lawsuit will improve things for other gun owners in the area.

Let’s offer the sheriff a way to improve his department so they can better serve the community not file lawsuit.

The sheriff could have said screw it and left it up to the local DA to figure out the law.

My concern is that filing suit against the department will discourage departments from resolving issues at the lowest possible level.

We bitch about "JBT" not knowing the law, let's not turn into a sue happy idiots like a tree hugging enviro nut when some one makes a mistake.

Let's offer the cops a way to prevent this from happening in the future.

The Bald Monk
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 6:53:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Bald Monk,

You are correct. He was simply detained(lost his freedom) but I'm sure his plans for the evening didn't include being chained to a hard bench for several hours.

TD
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 7:13:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good for him.

The Bald Monk

Why would that entertain you so much?

Demonstrate the unreasonableness of the detention. How is the effort to verify the status of the firearm unreasonable?

I think it stinks that he got jammed, but the Sheriff seemed to be a reasonable,thoughtful man.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 7:18:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good for him.

The Bald Monk

Not all officers are able to attend traing when they want or need. training at places like GPSTC is funded by tax monies and fines.

What's with all of this"we need to know allof the laws", stuff. Who stated this?

Your distaste for those who are in LE is kind of apparent.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 7:26:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good for him.

The Bald Monk

Yes it easy for me to say that because I was not the one in handcuffs

Treedawg, correct me if I am wrong but the young Devil Dog was not arrested just detained so there will be not blot on his record.

Yes it stinks he was detained due to an officer's ignorance and that he was treated poorly until the Sheriff got it right.

I do not see how hammering the officer, the sheriff and the department with a lawsuit will improve things for other gun owners in the area.

Let’s offer the sheriff a way to improve his department so they can better serve the community not file lawsuit.

The sheriff could have said screw it and left it up to the local DA to figure out the law.

My concern is that filing suit against the department will discourage departments from resolving issues at the lowest possible level.

We bitch about "JBT" not knowing the law, let's not turn into a sue happy idiots like a tree hugging enviro nut when some one makes a mistake.

Let's offer the cops a way to prevent this from happening in the future.

The Bald Monk

i live in Vidalia for now , not far at all were this happened and i can tell you from personal experience that the police/sheriff depts are VERY ignorant of gun laws, if it's not a fudd weapon then they get into a tizzy about anything that looks "evil". my wife was arrested here for having a pistol in her pocket-book and she has a weapons permit, she made the pistol "to easy to get too" according to the police here in Vidalia. they are JBT's and where is a petite lady supposed to carry her defense pistol( a sig 239)? i'm having some trouble myself with these guys, i know in my heart that everything will work out but sometimes they just don't have a clue and  it causes a huge hassle in your life when there doesn't need to be

another example is the guy in Hiram that was arrested and his defense pistol taken when he violated 0 laws, charges against him dropped and police still will not release the weapon taken from him. do these officers of the court deserve a break? people are not breaking the law and are being detained/arrested for nothing. cops have the reputation they do as JBT's for acting like them, not all police are this way, i know a couple that are stand up guys and are shocked over my wifes arrest, like with everything sometimes a few spoil the whole bunch, one of my best friends dad is a big time sheriff in a huge city and is absolutely pissed at the way my wife is being treated. i'm sure barney fife that "detained" the marine will get some gun laws preached to him, but this crap is widespead and needs to be stopped. in todays world law suits are the only thing that make people listen, and that is sad. rant over of now
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good for him.

The Bald Monk

Not all officers are able to attend traing when they want or need. training at places like GPSTC is funded by tax monies and fines.

What's with all of this"we need to know allof the laws", stuff. Who stated this?

Ignorance of the law won't get you out of trouble, so it's probably a good idea to know what those laws are in the first place. True, it may not be possible to know all of the laws, but if you happen to break one of those laws that you aren't familiar with, saying "I didn't know the law" won't save your bacon.

I think he was talking more about firearm laws. If we don't want to land in Club Fed for a few years, its our responsibilty and obligation to know the details of just about all the firearm laws, especially those concerning NFA. If we are legally obligated to follow the law to the "T", as it is written, it's not too much to ask for those enforcing it to know it just as well as we do, if not even better.

Link Posted: 12/15/2008 7:41:55 AM EDT
[#33]
10-20k should drive the point home and educate those in power.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
10-20k should drive the point home and educate those in power.

man i love your avatar

Link Posted: 12/15/2008 7:51:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good for him.

The Bald Monk

Why would that entertain you so much?

Demonstrate the unreasonableness of the detention. How is the effort to verify the status of the firearm unreasonable?

I think it stinks that he got jammed, but the Sheriff seemed to be a reasonable,thoughtful man.

It would not entertain me at all, the deputy was doing his job, taking his gun and info then letting him go would be more reasonable....as would knowing the law.
I don't see that it is unreasonable for police to know the law that they are arresting you for, just as I don't see that it is unreasonable for the police to check the address before they serve a no knock warrant.  Both situations could result in someone being wrongly or falsely imprisoned and their lives ruined, or in the latter situation a shootout with people dying.  I would rather see 100 bad guys go loose than one good guy wrongly jailed.   I'm not a leo basher but I think there should be high standards of professional performance when people's freedom and lives are at stake.

Oh and welcome White4actual........you wouldn't be leo would you?  (the phrase jammed gave you away)
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#36]
You can't "detain" someone when you take them from the scene....or everyone that was arrested is detained. that's why you see people on the 1st 48 always being brought in for questioning on an outstanding warrant or a traffic offense. You can't just say " your getting detained...into these cuffs and off we go".
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You can't "detain" someone when you take them from the scene....or everyone that was arrested is detained. that's why you see people on the 1st 48 always being brought in for questioning on an outstanding warrant or a traffic offense. You can't just say " your getting detained...into these cuffs and off we go".

are you serious?
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good for him.

The Bald Monk

I merelt express my opinion of a small segment of this countries police force who commit criminal acts on a daily basis. So if I break a law and when you come to arest me I state I didn't know about that law you are going to let me go free? Are you really that far gone? I know lots of police officers I am happy to call friends. From your posts i doubt you would be one of them.

Link Posted: 12/15/2008 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Okay, I am a retired LEO. Thirty three years at Cobb County SO. An arrest occurs when a person's freedom of movement is prevented, either physically or by verbal order, for more than would needed for a Terry Stop (street interview). You cannot unarrest anybody, as I have told many impatient state troopers who feel it is beneath their dignity to wait in line at a booking counter behind other officers. Rural officers are often (not always) the least educated, the most poorly trained and certainly the least sophisticated. The Sheriff of Treutlen County is answerable to the courts and the electorate, if the young man feels wronged, he should persue his grievance. It is wrong at anytime for an officer to make an arrest for a nonexistent violation. The problem is that the officer may be protected by the Good Faith Doctrine.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Ignorance is not a valid excuse where the law is concerned, no matter which side of the badge you might find yourself on.

Therein lies the problem, those charged with enforcing the laws are typically those most ignorant about them.  I hope he nails their asses to the wall!
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
...those charged with enforcing the laws are typically those most ignorant about them.

seriously?

Link Posted: 12/15/2008 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#42]
This crap makes me sick and has become a common thing.

As others have said, It is not right for me to know the law to the T.  If I break the law knowingly or by accident I have seriously conquensences.   LAW ENFORCEMENT is to enforce the law, how can u enforce the laws if u don't know them.   Then in most cases if they make a mistake they get a free pass.

Before someone says I'm a LE basher, far from it.  I have great respect for them and have a family full of LE (county, state & federal).   I even almost came one myself and often think about it for not doing it.

I say if u were cuffed and taking down town and cuffed to a bench for a couple of hrs u are more than detained.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Therein lies the problem, those charged with enforcing the laws are typically those most ignorant about them.  I hope he nails their asses to the wall!

My customer just left the store and I do not think he's going to pursue legal action against the Sheriff's Department. I didn't encourage or mention it for that matter.

It was an unfortunate matter and I am truly sorry that he was detained several hours while the Sheriff's Dept tried to figure out what laws he violated.

I felt like a horses ass for selling him the GSG when his mother called me with a panicked tone in her voice.

TD

Link Posted: 12/15/2008 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I would want a letter on department letterhead signed by the Sheriff indicating that I was falsly arrested, did not break any laws, and that the arresting officer was disciplined.  Said letter in lieu of a lawsuit should be a fair compromise.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I would want a letter on department letterhead signed by the Sheriff indicating that I was falsly arrested, did not break any laws, and that the arresting officer was disciplined.  Said letter in lieu of a lawsuit should be a fair compromise.

The above and an agreement with the Sheriff to conduct training for his entire department on gun laws.

Topics to included
––-GFL laws
––-SBR
––-Suppressors

I wonder how many LEO's have fired an AR much less suppresed SBR.

I still believe Treedawg should host a lunch and learn for SO featuring DKing and Bookhound
Doug can cover the finer points of the gun laws law in GA
Mark can show and tell with the SBR and suppressors.
Let's stop bashing LEO and let's start inflicting them with EBR disease.

The Bald Monk
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The above and an agreement with the Sheriff to conduct training for his entire department on gun laws.

Topics to included
––-GFL laws
––-SBR
––-Suppressors

I wonder how many LEO's have fired an AR much less suppresed SBR.

I still believe Treedawg should host a lunch and learn for SO featuring DKing and Bookhound
Doug can cover the finer points of the gun laws law in GA
Mark can show and tell with the SBR and suppressors.
Let's stop bashing LEO and let's start inflicting them with EBR disease.

The Bald Monk

screw you, its hard enough fighting everyone else for parts as it is now LOL
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Least he didn't get tasered.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Least he didn't get tasered.

Or his dog shot....
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Okay, I am a retired LEO. Thirty three years at Cobb County SO. An arrest occurs when a person's freedom of movement is prevented, either physically or by verbal order, for more than would needed for a Terry Stop (street interview). You cannot unarrest anybody, as I have told many impatient state troopers who feel it is beneath their dignity to wait in line at a booking counter behind other officers. Rural officers are often (not always) the least educated, the most poorly trained and certainly the least sophisticated. The Sheriff of Treutlen County is answerable to the courts and the electorate, if the young man feels wronged, he should persue his grievance. It is wrong at anytime for an officer to make an arrest for a nonexistent violation. The problem is that the officer may be protected by the Good Faith Doctrine.

SO huh, MY name is Chris MacCullen and  I work for the CCSO, I amd currently working in State Court. Good to see you here.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Here's my take on knowing the law. Only arrest someone (or detain for more then 10-15 minutes a "reasonable" investigation) if you're damn sure. Be prepared to lose your job if your wrong. If there is any doubt, let the person go. That's bad for my business but good for my country.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top