Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/31/2008 7:13:39 PM EDT

This really makes me mad as well saddens me. It seems that Matt Eastman of Eastman’s Gun Shows has made the choice to not support an organization that supports our servicemen who are currently fighting over in the sand box.

For those of you in the Atlanta area who attend the local gun shows you might remember the Marine LtCol. who collects money for Armor4Troops.org. His name is LtCol. Robert Ledee USMC Ret. Over the last couple of years he and I have become pretty good friends and I truly believe in what he is doing for our servicemen overseas.

If you have been to the Eastman shows in the past you all know that when you go in you have to fight your way thru the gauntlet of shriners trying to collect money. At the last Eastman show in Marietta Matt had placed the shriners in the same spot as Col. Leede, which led to the 4 shriners trying to crowd out Col Ledee. When Col. Ledee tried to bring this situation to Matt’s attention he just huffed and said that’s your spot. Now Col. Ledee has never complained about where Matt has put him before because Matt allowed him to collect without having to pay for a table.

After this incident last weekend LtCol. Ledee decided that it would be best if he would just rent a table from now on. Below is a copy of the email he received from Matt Eastman regarding him doing future shows.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [SPAM] SHOWS
Date: Thu, August 28, 2008 2:44 pm
To: <robert>

I HAVE DECIDED FOR YOU NOT TO ATTEND ANY MORE SHOWS. THIS IS UNDER THE ADVICE OF MY ATTORNET.

MATT EASTMAN

Now I have heard a lot of folks complain about Matt Eastman and his shows, about how rude he and his wife are, kind of like he is doing you a favor by taking your money. This is going to be a choice each and every one of you will have to make, but I cannot and will not support or do business with such an asshole and I will no longer be attending any more of his shows as either a vendor or a customer.

I will be doing the RK Shows only from now on. I will also be talking to Joe, the RK coordinator, about him finding a show location on the north west side of Atlanta along the I-75 corridor.

If we continue to accept him and his arrogance then that’s what we will have to continue to endure. I know he has let GCO have a table rent free, but guess what, over the last 8 months he has plenty of empty tables to choose from, and with the way he continues to treat vendors he will most likely have a few more in the coming months.

So, what is it going to be, do we support some one who doesn’t give a crap about you or what we all hold as precious? Or do we take our support and dollars to some one who will treat us with respect and shows appreciation for us doing business with them.

The choice is yours.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm with you. I haven't found a good deal at an eastman show in years, except on jerky.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#2]
You must hav missed my table then.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#3]
eastman is just a promoter You guys need to deal with RK and eastman will go the way of the dodo bird....
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You must hav missed my table then.

Link Posted: 8/31/2008 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
eastman is just a promoter You guys need to deal with RK and eastman will go the way of the dodo bird....

Yeah I never like those shows anyway...
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty weak that he cant even spell properly..

I'll side with Chris.. AND make a donation to armor for troops.

Link Posted: 8/31/2008 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Those shows are, for the most part, a wash IMHO. This is not taking into account that Eastman (both Mr. and Mrs.) are money-grubbers looking to see where the next fucking dime will come from. I've yet to see them extend any type of common courtesy to any of the paying public that comes in (if this has happened, I have not witnessed it - so take it for what it's worth).

I only spend time at two tables when I go there: GA Arms to pick up ammo (which is my primary reason for even going in the first place), and I always stop by to see you, Chris, whenever I am there. You are always polite, and it is always good to chat with you, and browse your wares. You are the exception to my first comment.

I have all but completely stopped going to Eastman shows. 9 times out of 10, it isn't worth my time, or my money.

Due to time constraints for work, I have not been to ANY gunshows recently. I've yet to make it to an RK show, but will try to in the future.

It amazes me that Eastman shows are still going.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I have only been to one gun show in my life. It was an Eastman show in Marietta at the Cobb Civic Center.  I was a little disapointed.  I had always heard gun shows were a great place to get really good deals.  I felt basically I had just payed to get in a large gun store.  I could have gone to Adventure Outdoors instead.  Oh yeah, and I was VERY F___in' annoyed with how many tables they managed to stuff into the show.  Great, lets pack a load of dealers in here so you can't navigate between their tables. oh well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 7:08:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone who would mess with  LtCol. Leede is on my shithead list.  Every show I go to I try to hand him 23-30$ and enjoy some conversation.  I get some extra cards for my wife to hand out at the bar she works at to assist in his efforts.  What  LtCol. Leede does is a good thing.  I'm happy to give him my money, I know where it is going and for what.  Matt Eastman is an asshole from the word go.  Several dealers I know don't come to his shows any longer, I've been hearing the stories for years but this crosses the line!

www.armor4troops.org is the Col's site.  Go there, donate, see what this man does.  
Like the site says 98.84% of all donations that we have received have gone towards purchasing this equipment for our American Troops!
This is the highest percentage of any charitable organization in the U.S.!!!! PERIOD!

The Col. is the real deal, I love this guy and what he does for our soldiers.
Matt Eastman?  A total Asshat.  "UNDER THE ADVICE OF MY ATTORNEY"  Pure !  

I would not let my dog piss on you if you were on fire!
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Now that's fucked up.

I won't ever go to another one of his shows.

PS....
FUCK YOU MATT!!

Link Posted: 9/1/2008 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#11]
If some one wants to donate to LtCol Leede, he raffling a M&P45.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Put up a donation page for this guy or get me a link. I can send it out to about a half million people.

As far as Eastmans, missed the last one in Gwinnett, but heard SUCH bad stories about it I was debating not wasting my time when it rolls around again. Now I will certainly not. The primary reason is that email looks like a retarded 9 year old wrote it. If this is the business owner, and this is the way he presents himself then why is he still in business.

Get information about the RK shows and promote them. Contact the dealers who show up to the Eastman shows and forward them the email. Contact the local news and make a stink about it. In short ruin this turd.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm with you. I haven't found a good deal at an eastman show in years, except on jerky.

that jerky isnt a good deal.

Last few I went to I felt were lacking.

I havent been to one in awhile $40 in gas to drive there, plus admission makes it not worth it
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Just wrote out a check for 2 raffle tickets and will mail it tomorrow.

-Mrs.Monk

Link Posted: 9/1/2008 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Now that's fucked up.

I won't ever go to another one of his shows.

PS....
FUCK YOU MATT!!

x2

I stopped going to Eastman shows a while back. R&K is much better and cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#16]
What are these R&K shows and where can they be found?
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#17]
http://www.rkshows.com/
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I already decided to never return to an eastmans show.  Proof is in the pudding!
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Put up a donation page for this guy or get me a link. I can send it out to about a half million people.

As far as Eastmans, missed the last one in Gwinnett, but heard SUCH bad stories about it I was debating not wasting my time when it rolls around again. Now I will certainly not. The primary reason is that email looks like a retarded 9 year old wrote it. If this is the business owner, and this is the way he presents himself then why is he still in business.

Get information about the RK shows and promote them. Contact the dealers who show up to the Eastman shows and forward them the email. Contact the local news and make a stink about it. In short ruin this turd.

You can do a PAYPAL donation right on his site.  www.armor4troops.org/
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#20]
shady as hell...guess it'll be only rk shows from now on if i even go at all.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 5:13:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Eastman has been giving away the same knife for 10 years ! Does anyone know anyone who ever won the damn thing ? notice the faded box. He treats his customers like shit and they come back for more since he is the only game in town. He finally has competition I hope this forces him to reconsider.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 5:25:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I have not been to a Eastman show in years. Will never attend another......

the Eastman's = total unappriciative asshats....

Link Posted: 9/2/2008 5:56:43 AM EDT
[#23]
GFG!

Good Fucking Grief!

How can a "business man" (I'm using the term 'business man' LOOSELY)be so short sighted as M. Eastman?  My Dad uses the phrase "you shit to close to the house & let the ducks track it in" & it sounds like M.Eastman is shitting to close to the house.

I met Jim, from Mainstreet Gun, & he told me about the RK gun shows & have been to a couple since.  I even stopped by & talked w/ Chris & 'fondled' the DD upper & rails-thanks Chris.  

I'll see you at the next RK show in the Gwinnett area.

7mm
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 2:32:46 PM EDT
[#24]
My name is LtCol Ledee, Exec Dir of Armor 4 Troops Foundation. A lot has been said here and I'd like to answer some of the questions you might have. A4T is the only entity collecting donations from the public for the only purpose of providing Anti-Ballistic eyewear, Under-Armour, Multi-function Tools and various other types of equipment to our troops fighting overseas. This equipment is not normally furnished by the military, so we buy and send at no cost to the troops.

Last year, Matt Eastman was nice enough to allow us to collect at his gun shows for this purpose. Recently they were blessed with a new grandchild. Right after that time, they decided that the Shriners should be collecting in order to help the kids. I was immediately smothered with them having 3-4 Shriners around me at each show so as to prevent me from collecting any donations. I dressed in full military uniform and the attendees usually would contribute to us instead of them. At this time, they filed a complaint with the Defense Dept objecting to me wearing a uniform in order to collect for a non-profit org. Def Dept ordered me not to wear a uniform. Recently I questioned them as to where their $$ goes to since they don't have a hospital in GA and their only footprint is GA is a big Temple in downtown Atlanta. I asked who is paying the maintenance, upkeep and their 800k salary to the staff. At that point, Eastman's banned me. No explanation!!

I invite you all to visit our web site, www.armor4troops.org and see what we do and why we have been honored so much. Thank you for the priviledge of belonging to this site.

Robert Ledee
LtCol   USMC (ret)
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
... Thank you for the priviledge of belonging to this site....
Robert Ledee
LtCol   USMC (ret)

No thank you for stepping up & seeing to the troopers on the ground.  

7mm
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#26]
just wow.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 2:52:37 PM EDT
[#27]
LtCol Ledee, you are on hell of a man!
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
My name is LtCol Ledee, Exec Dir of Armor 4 Troops Foundation. A lot has been said here and I'd like to answer some of the questions you might have. A4T is the only entity collecting donations from the public for the only purpose of providing Anti-Ballistic eyewear, Under-Armour, Multi-function Tools and various other types of equipment to our troops fighting overseas. This equipment is not normally furnished by the military, so we buy and send at no cost to the troops.

Last year, Matt Eastman was nice enough to allow us to collect at his gun shows for this purpose. Recently they were blessed with a new grandchild. Right after that time, they decided that the Shriners should be collecting in order to help the kids. I was immediately smothered with them having 3-4 Shriners around me at each show so as to prevent me from collecting any donations. I dressed in full military uniform and the attendees usually would contribute to us instead of them. At this time, they filed a complaint with the Defense Dept objecting to me wearing a uniform in order to collect for a non-profit org. Def Dept ordered me not to wear a uniform. Recently I questioned them as to where their $$ goes to since they don't have a hospital in GA and their only footprint is GA is a big Temple in downtown Atlanta. I asked who is paying the maintenance, upkeep and their 800k salary to the staff. At that point, Eastman's banned me. No explanation!!

I invite you all to visit our web site, ARMOR FOR TROOPS.COM and see what we do and why we have been honored so much. Thank you for the privilege of belonging to this site.

Robert Ledee
LtCol   USMC (ret)

Col Ledee, I want to thank you for the great work you do, It really makes a difference.
In a world full of leftist military haters sir you shine like a diamond.  I always enjoy our conversations at the shows and have been pissed off at the way you have been treated by Mr.Eastman.  What he has done is wrong on so many levels it makes me sick.  He has made his choices.  In banning you he has shown us he does not care about our troops in harms way nor the people who support them.  I encourage all members of ARFCOM not to attend or display at his shows.  Many dealers are Vets and I encourage them not to display.  I realize times are a bit tight and they need to make a dollar to put food on the table but banning you is a cold slap in the face to all veterans and I for one will not stand for it. God bless you sir in all that you do for our troops.  This vet stands with you as does my wife who is madder than a wet hen right now when I told her about this.  She passes out your cards at her bar and asks her patrons to donate.
You sir are a great American!
Keep up the good work our sons and daughters are depending on you.
You are an officer and a gentleman in the most sincere terms.

Simper Fi Marine!

M-4 Stag
U.S. Army
74-77

I'm going to post a link to this in the general ARFCOM section to let the entire country in on this.  Time to stir the puddin.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Man, my brothers and I have had this conversation so many times!
The Eastman show in Dalton is the only GA show within an hour drive...and it is wretched!
Someone in the know let RK know that North Ga NEEDS them!
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Man, my brothers and I have had this conversation so many times!
The Eastman show in Dalton is the only GA show within an hour drive...and it is wretched!
Someone in the know let RK know that North Ga NEEDS them!

RK Georgia Shows

NW Georgia Trade and
Convention Center

Exit 333 off I-75

Show Dates:
December 13-14

Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

+1, but I didn't buy jerky there.  I just walked around and looked at the parts with 2x internet prices on them in disgust the last three times I went.  I got shouldered into too many times to count, and the body odor in there was horrible.  Nothing worth ever going back for.

Ms. Eastman does indeed act like she's doing the unwashed masses a favor by taking our money too.  I always told her, "thanks, and have a nice day" with a big smile just to kind of knock some of her cold chill back at her.  Never a reply - just a grimace and she moved on to the next guy.

That sucks that the Col. can't attend anymore.  I wish I could say that this is the reason I won't be going back to Eastman shows, but I had said that anyway sometime last year.

I went to an RK show in the Smokies late last year (around Thanksgiving).  It was a lot better.  I actually had some room to breathe, but there were still lots of people and vendors there.  I bought some cheap ammo cans.  Ammo was out of sight!    Still, they had $90 out the door Mosin M44s in a crate and a few other deals that I NEVER see at Eastman shows.  I would actually go to another one of those.

FYI: They have a coupon on their site for the shows.  It's $1 off admission.  I ended up paying ~$8, IIRC.  www.rkshows.com/coupon.htm
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#33]
I spoke to LtCol. Ledee this morning.  He is an outstanding individual with an organization that puts our donations to good use.  I've sent emails out to friends and family asking them to consider making donations and/or buying raffle tickets.  I can now say the Monk will be home sooner rather than later but thanks to LtCol. Ledee and Armor 4 Troops -and those donations -our Marines replacing the Monk's rotation will have anti-ballistic eye protection to help bring them back home safely.  

Thank you!

-Mrs.Monk
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#34]
It was a real pleasure speaking with you yesterday. Your husbands unit in IRAQ has contacted me and I am sending them 15 pairs of the Anti-Ballistic eyewear tomorrow. Should receive in 10-12 days.

Robert Ledee
LtCol   USMC
www.armor4troops.org
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#35]
OOH-RAH,  Lt. Colonel.

Thank you for the work you do for our troops in harms way.
Semper Fi

As for Eastmans......screw em, hopefully the Karma Bus will run them over.

ETA: just shot an e mail to [email protected] to let them know I wont be attending any Eastman shows.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#36]
The past few times I attended a gun show I donated money to Armor4Troops because as a veteran I have a special place in my heart for our veterans.  The only thing that I can intelligently type right now is, "Fuck Eastman gun shows!"
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#37]
No more Eastmans shows for me. Fuck em, I'll spend my dollars elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Here is what I got as a response to my email

I AM SORRY YOU FEEL THAT WAY.

I WILL NOT GET INTO THE REASON BUT IF YOU KNEW YOU WOULD AGREE WITH ME. IF YOU WANT TO COME AROUND THE GWINNET SHOW OCT 4/5 WE CAN DISCUSS THIS. DON’T GO OFF HALF COCKED, I AM A 100% SUPPORTER OF OUR MILITARY.

MATT EASTMAN

Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:39:33 PM EDT
[#39]
That's just super.  A customer emails, and he says, "don't go off half-cocked" in the reply?  Jerk.  

"If you want to come pay me $10 admission, we can talk about it.  Then you can swear off my shows, after I get your $10."  

Link Posted: 9/3/2008 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#40]
If I could afford $10 ( I have a $2172.00 rifle on lay away), I'd send it to someone who had that day off (I don't) just so they could ask and then "enlighten" us to what his reasoning is.  He really needs to rethink how he conducts these shows.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:30:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Went to an Eastman show not too long ago. Definitely was not impressed. I will scratch them off my list as well.

NO MORE EASTMANS FOR ME
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:25:52 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Here is what I got as a response to my email

I AM SORRY YOU FEEL THAT WAY.

I WILL NOT GET INTO THE REASON BUT IF YOU KNEW YOU WOULD AGREE WITH ME. IF YOU WANT TO COME AROUND THE GWINNET SHOW OCT 4/5 WE CAN DISCUSS THIS. DON’T GO OFF HALF COCKED, I AM A 100% SUPPORTER OF OUR MILITARY.

MATT EASTMAN

I got a similarly poorly worded and written response from Matt Eastman this morning.
That all caps thing is annoying, and his spelling is horrible.

His shows suck big time.

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:40:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Eastman may have screwed the pooch on this one but we have only heard one side and he has GIVEN the Col free space for a long time which he did not have to do at all. As for the Shriners, they give a shitload of money to Scottish Rite where my grandson has been cared for. They have been helping kids for a long time. While I appreciate what the Col is doing for our troops, it sounds to me like he is whining because he has to share space with another group.
A lot of people have tried to knock Eastman off the top for many years, Gun Shows of GA, Ga Mountain, Heart of GA YADA YADA YADA and no one has succeeded. RK has smaller shows and except for Main Street guns (Jim Hornsby who sold out to RK) the same vendors at a Eastman show. These vendors pay thousands of $ to set up for these shows. Most of them have REAL stores you can go to if you have a problem, you don't have to wait for another show to find them. ATF has closed the small guys working out of their garage or basement who have no overhead.  The advantage of a gun show is that you have everything in one spot. You don't have to drive all over hell to see a decent selection of gear. These vendors are there to make money. Prices are usually fair and slightly less than at a local dealer. if you don't think you are getting a deal DON"T GO. Go to your local gun store and give them the business. They will appreciate it.If you don't support your local gun store , pretty soon you will only have a choice of Bass Pro, Dicks and the like. IMHO
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:51:59 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
ATF has closed the small guys working out of their garage or basement who have no overhead.  The advantage of a gun show is that you have everything in one spot. You don't have to drive all over hell to see a decent selection of gear. These vendors are there to make money. Prices are usually fair and slightly less than at a local dealer.

Umm, I just picked up a lower from a guy working out of his basement.  With all due respect, I think you don't know what the heck you're talking about.  You need to look at prices online.  Out of the dozens of gun stores I've been in, I have only been two places that even got close to online prices - one a pawn shop and one a guy in his basement.  Gun show gear is usually WAY overpriced as are items in many retail gun stores I have been into.  If they don't go lower on prices, they'll die out as the internet shops who can deal in volume and sell for less will take their business from them.  It's called competition and the free market, and gun show vendors and shop owners have to deal with it or close shop.

if you don't think you are getting a deal DON"T GO.

An excellent idea indeed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:38:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Exactly my point. The guy has very little overhead and sells for less than a dealer who has a brick and motar store with rent, insurance, payroll utilities etc. Same with most of the internet guys. If you buy a lower out of state, you have to geta FFL dealer to recieve it for you extra charge because those guys have a larger overhead and why let you use their FFL to acquire lowers guns etc when you ain't doing business with them. I apparently understand the process better than you. There are a lot of customers who would rather have personal service than save a few bucks ordering online. That is why Adventure outdoors, Pannells ,David's, Chucks, Bob's and all the other decent gun stores in town have and will be here for a long time. People don't mind paying more if they can go to a store , handle the firearm, get good customer service and have a place to go back to if they have a problem.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:44:42 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
If you guys think eastman is an A**hole, you should meet Rex Kerhli of RK shows. His famous line to vendors in Tenn is "I don't care if you guys make a dime as long as I make $500 a show ." I have not seen the Col at any RK shows. Is that because RK won't give him any space. Eastman may have screwed the pooch on this one but we have only heard one side and he has GIVEN the Col free space for a long time which he did not have to do at all. As for the Shriners, they give a shitload of money to Scottish Rite where my grandson has been cared for. They have been helping kids for a long time. While I appreciate what the Col is doing for our troops, it sounds to me like he is whining because he has to share space with another group.
A lot of people have tried to knock Eastman off the top for many years, Gun Shows of GA, Ga Mountain, Heart of GA YADA YADA YADA and no one has succeeded. RK has smaller shows and except for Main Street guns (Jim Hornsby who sold out to RK) the same vendors at a Eastman show. These vendors pay thousands of $ to set up for these shows. Most of them have REAL stores you can go to if you have a problem, you don't have to wait for another show to find them. ATF has closed the small guys working out of their garage or basement who have no overhead.  The advantage of a gun show is that you have everything in one spot. You don't have to drive all over hell to see a decent selection of gear. These vendors are there to make money. Prices are usually fair and slightly less than at a local dealer. if you don't think you are getting a deal DON"T GO. Go to your local gun store and give them the business. They will appreciate it.If you don't support your local gun store , pretty soon you will only have a choice of Bass Pro, Dicks and the like. IMHO

I was going to respond to your post but I just decided that your asinine comments are not worth the effort. I was there at the show and I saw the shriners crowding him while he was talking to folks, and Col. Ledee has been more gracious to Matt Eastman than I would have been. I guess that's why he is the officer and I was enlisted. If you want to continue to spend your money with Matt then that is your choice. I will not.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:47:51 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Exactly my point. The guy has very little overhead and sells for less than a dealer who has a brick and motar store with rent, insurance, payroll utilities etc. Same with most of the internet guys. If you buy a lower out of state, you have to geta FFL dealer to recieve it for you extra charge because those guys have a larger overhead and why let you use their FFL to acquire lowers guns etc when you ain't doing business with them. I apparently understand the process better than you. There are a lot of customers who would rather have personal service than save a few bucks ordering online. That is why Adventure outdoors, Pannells ,David's, Chucks, Bob's and all the other decent gun stores in town have and will be here for a long time. People don't mind paying more if they can go to a store , handle the firearm, get good customer service and have a place to go back to if they have a problem.

Haha, whatever helps you sleep at night, I guess.  I can't stomach paying more when I don't have to do so.  I fully understand that Pannell's and others have brick and mortar stores with utilities to pay.  You don't think AIM Surplus, Classic Arms, or Rainier Arms have customer service personnel and shipping people to pay in addition to their utilities and building overhead?  They still do a lot of business online in addition to their brick and mortar shops.

The difference is that they have better connections (don't rely on local distributors, often going straight to the manufacturer to get goods) and are willing to take less of a profit on each item to sell more and make more profit overall.  If a little brick and mortar store wants to stay little and stagnant and make 50+% profit on each item sold, I guess that's their business model, and good luck with that.  Personally, I have only gotten poor service in every one of the shops you listed that I have visited, so I don't understand why anyone would pay that much extra to get it.

Some of those gun stores you listed (I don't know some of them) could stand to grow a little by cutting back prices, selling online more, and moving more inventory.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:48:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Guys

Before I start here I would like to state that I am a combat veteran of the war in Iraq and have over 1,200 days deployed in harms way serving our nation.  I greatly, deeply respect and appreciate all of our service men and women doing their part for our nation.  I understand what that sacrifice is and do not take it at all lightly.

With that said I think there is a bit of a mob mentality going on in this post - everyone seems so busy screaming "Burn the Witch!" that I don't think anyone is thinking this through all the way.

The gun show circuit seems to me get the customers good prices by providing a venue for direct competition - any dealer trying to sell his stock at prices that are too high will simply not get any business.  The fact that all the dealers are there and selling all the same stuff keeps all of them honest.

The Eastman shows are the best and consistently have the most dealers competing for our business - we are free to try to strike the best deal with all of them before we buy, we are also free not to buy at all.

Internet pricing on an FFL transferable item is not very relevant unless you are another FFL - because sadly for all of us, you will need to have an FFL receive the shipment and transfer it for you, usually you will be charged for this service.  It sure would be nice for us if they would do it for free, but that is not very realistic when you think about it.  It would be kind of like going into a restaruant and asking if you could use their kitchen to cook your own steak and then eat it for free.  Dealers need to pay for rent and overhead and salary - just like the company where you work has to.  

I don't personally know Matt Eastman, I can't speak to his patriotism or lack thereof - I can say that the story so far sounds like one side of an arguement.  I find it a bit hard to believe that a business man would make a decision which would alienate the very customers he is trying to attract.  I think it is great that we have an opportunity to donate to our service men and women at the shows, but I also know that Shriners does a lot of really good work for the civilian community as well - I would be equally happy donating to either of them.  The fact that Matt provided free space for military charity leads me to believe that he is indeed a partiotic individual as well as a good business man.  

Seems to me that it is mainly the same dealers frequenting the same set of shows, the less we go the less it is worth their while to pack up all their stuff and spend the weekend paying for the privelige of access to us as customers.  

I am not calling anyone a liar here, I don't know what happened, I have just heard a few versions of what happened.  The thing is that I don't know that anyone else here knows what happened either.   I am going to the next Eastman show - but I am also going to ask Matt about this and see what he says about it - then I will decide.

Jake  
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:52:37 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
If you guys think eastman is an A**hole, you should meet Rex Kerhli of RK shows. His famous line to vendors in Tenn is "I don't care if you guys make a dime as long as I make $500 a show ." I have not seen the Col at any RK shows. Is that because RK won't give him any space. Eastman may have screwed the pooch on this one but we have only heard one side and he has GIVEN the Col free space for a long time which he did not have to do at all. As for the Shriners, they give a shitload of money to Scottish Rite where my grandson has been cared for. They have been helping kids for a long time. While I appreciate what the Col is doing for our troops, it sounds to me like he is whining because he has to share space with another group.

Who let Matt Eastman register?

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Who let Matt Eastman register?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top