Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2003 4:59:15 AM EDT
Our buddy Ryan (LostWildCat) is exercising his right to open carry in Alabama.  Read about it here.

Is it legal to openly carry a pistol in GA?  Anyone have a link to the law(s)?

Imagine next group shoot if we all open carried in Cracker Barrel.  Bet we get our food faster.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:14:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I know WildMan up in Kennesaw has a set of six shooters on him at all times.  Anybody can tell ya he is a... well  Wildman!
 His shop is known for selling stuff that you cant get anywhere else.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Open carry in Ga is NOT ALLOWED except when inside home, one's place of business, your motor vehicle,  hunting, fishing or "sport shooting"  as per Ga. statute 16-11-128.

To fully excercise your 2nd Amm. rights, you have to have a CCW in Ga.   Bummer....
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#3]
<Tried to post this earlier, but arkfom went tits up.  Copied and pasted from notepad.>

16-11-126.

(a) A person commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon when such person knowingly has or carries about his or her person, unless in an open manner and fully exposed to view, any bludgeon, metal knuckles, firearm, knife designed for the purpose of offense and defense, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character outside of his or her home or place of business, except as permitted under this Code section.

This tells me that they can't bust you for carrying a concealed weapon if it isn't concealed.

And then:

16-11-128.

(a) A person commits the offense of carrying a pistol without a license when he has or carries on or about his person, outside of his home, motor vehicle, or place of business, any pistol or revolver without having on his person a valid license issued by the judge of the probate court of the county in which he resides, provided that no permit shall be required for persons with a valid hunting or fishing license on their person or for persons not required by law to have hunting licenses who are engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the persons have the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted; provided, further, that the pistol or revolver, whenever loaded, shall be carried only in an open and fully exposed manner.

This one is a bit confusing and makes my brain hurt.  I think it means that they can bust you for carrying a pistol without a license even if you open carry UNLESS you have a CCW, hunting or fishing permit, or permission of the landowner to shoot on their property.  In other words, if all you have is a hunting or fishing license, or you only have the permission of the landowner to be there, you cannot carry concealed and MUST open carry.  Otherwise, they could bust you for this AND carrying a concealed weapon.

Regardless, it's a moot point of you have a CCW license.

What say ye, 15th shooters?  Should we exercise our CCWs and 2nd Amendment rights?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Whoa reject!  You did good.  There is also a provision in 16-11-126 (c) which allows for a persons clothing to cover the firearm.  It can also be in a bag, purse, briefcase, or any container, but must have CCW.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Whoa reject!  You did good.  There is also a provision in 16-11-126 (c) which allows for a persons clothing to cover the firearm.  It can also be in a bag, purse, briefcase, or any container, but must have CCW.

Basically, if you aren't in your home or on your own land, you can't carry shit without violating one of those two statutes.  And even then, it has to be open carry.  Everything else requires a CCW.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, gotta get that CCW.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#7]
(c) This Code section shall not permit, outside of his home or vehicle, or place business, the concealed carrying of a pistol or revolver, or concealable firearm by any person unless that person has on their person a license and the pistol or revolver, or firearm may only be carried in a shoulder holster, waist holster, hipgrip, or any other similar device, in any event the weapon may be concealed by the persons clothing, handbag, attache case, briefcase, man purse(for Bookhound), or any closed container.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry over my shirt but Im wearing one of my coats so you cant see it here.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, everyone got it correct.  Open Carry with a CCW only. The CCW laws in Georgia suck ass though.  You can't carry (openly or concealed); on mass transit, can't carry in any establishment (yes, this means Hooters:) that serves alcohol for consumption, can't carry in any public building, can't carry to public gatherings.         Did I say that Georgia CCW laws suck!!!  
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 3:10:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
can't carry in any establishment (yes, this means Hooters:) that serves alcohol for consumption

I knew about that one.

can't carry in any public building

Wait, I thought this was just government buildings.  If you can't carry in any public building, then you don't really have a CCW, you just have permission to carry a firearm in your house, your business, and your car.

Time to go check the laws again...
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 3:15:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Doh!  Brain not functioning this morning.  Public buildings are government buildings.  Cracker Barrel is a privately owned building (and they don't serve alcohol), as is any other business.

Must wake up before posting...
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:48:14 AM EDT
[#12]

The "No carry in any establishment that serves alcohol" is a really bad restriction, since that preculdes your carrying to and from your car (where--at night--you're probably more vulnerable than anywhere else) to any upscale restaurant or even your favorite burger joint that serves beer.

At least GA has a CCW, which some don't. It's just a poor version of CCW's I've held in other states. It's easy to ban carry in bars, just adopt the same language other states have.

Have you seen the "No carry at public gatherings" notices at gun shows? I don't like them, but the promoter (Eastman) said he is just trying to cover himself in the event of another accidental (idiot?) discharge at one of his gun shows.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:07:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The "No carry in any establishment that serves alcohol" is a really bad restriction, since that preculdes your carrying to and from your car (where--at night--you're probably more vulnerable than anywhere else) to any upscale restaurant or even your favorite burger joint that serves beer.

I much prefer the "This permit is not valid if the holder is under the influence of intoxicating liquors or drugs" on the back of Alabama licenses...
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#14]
So, since I have a CCW I can open carry in a shopping mall and grocery store, correct?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Yup.  You can even open carry.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Unless I'm mistaken though, all malls owned by SIMON INC. have specific rules against bringing weapons of any sorts into their buildings. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't pocket a CCW and walk into a mall around here with a .45 in a tactical holster on my leg or anything just yet. Just my two pesos worth of thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top