Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2015 7:25:31 PM EDT
Someone wants to buy a handgun from me locally.
They do not have a chp but have Law Enforcement Credentials (serialized picture ID) and driver's license.

Is this a suitable replacement for a CHP or should I walk?

I've never heard of using this as a way to buy a gun.
He says it's how he buys at shops and shows.

If this is OK, what should I look for in the credentials to make sure they are legitimate?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

PPP or CHP.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Someone wants to buy a handgun from me locally.
They do not have a chp but have Law Enforcement Credentials (serialized picture ID) and driver's license.

Is this a suitable replacement for a CHP or should I walk?

I've never heard of using this as a way to buy a gun.
He says it's how he buys at shops and shows.

Thanks!

PPP or CHP.

The law says that Law Enforcement Credentials are okay, but I'm not a law enforcement credentials expert.  Here is what the DOJ says:

The requirement for obtaining a permit before purchasing or receiving a handgun does not
apply to law enforcement officers of North Carolina, who are authorized by law to carry
firearms. To use such an exemption, however, the law enforcement officer must identify
him/herself to the seller of the handgun as being a law enforcement officer authorized to carry
firearms, and provide any of the following:
1. A letter signed by the officer's superior officer stating the officer is authorized to carry
a firearm;
2. A current photographic identification card issued by the officer's employer;
3. A current photographic identification card issued by a State agency that identifies the
officer as State law enforcement; or
4. A current identification card from the officer's employer and one other form of
photographic identification.

Source: http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!

Anybody know what "LE Credentials" should look like?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:24:19 PM EDT
[#4]
All departments are different, there is no set state standard. Mine is plastic like a drivers license.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
All departments are different, there is no set state standard. Mine is plastic like a drivers license.
View Quote

You'd think it would just be easier to give the LE folks a CCW for such purposes.  Would make it easier on the 500 law enforcement agencies in the state.  Seriously.  There are 500 different law enforcement agencies in North Carolina.  How is an individual supposed to confirm that a pistol purchase permit, CCW permit, or law enforcement officer identification are legitimate?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#6]
What about calling the agency on a non-emergency number to confirm? Would they do that?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What about calling the agency on a non-emergency number to confirm? Would they do that?
View Quote

"Yeah, uh, I have an officer John Doughnut, badge number 1234, who says he works for you.  Can you confirm this?"

The first and hardest step would be to FIND the non-emergency number.  Remember, there are 500 agencies in North Carolina alone.  If you ask the officer, he could tell you his brother's number and you would't know.  People get fake ID's all the time.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#8]
John Doughnut? Really man, we're all not coffee drinking donut eating Copopotamus's. I'm actually a big fan of AMP energy drinks and Snickers bars.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
John Doughnut? Really man, we're all not coffee drinking donut eating Copopotamus's. I'm actually a big fan of AMP energy drinks and Snickers bars.
View Quote

LOL.  John Snickers?  No offense intended.  It sounded better than John Doe.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 1:44:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes it is perfectly legal.  Badge/ID are what are usually photocopied.  Ask the Buyer for the name of his agency and the phone number.  Should take 10 seconds to confirm with Google and then call the department to verify that so and so does work there.  It is public record.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top