Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2014 3:13:23 PM EDT
We are up in Duck sound front and we are wondering if we should worry about our car? At max the driveway is 4-6ft above the bay water level.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#1]
First, pay attention to,what the locals do.

Cat 1 according to Fox News. Don't think that will be all that bad.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#2]
If it gets over cat 1 then I would leave if I was water front.  Inland get lots ice and beer.  

I'm inland
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd take what the locals do with a grain of sand. If the authorities call for an evacuation then don't hang around for the show. Get out. Better to laugh about leaving what turns out to be a non event than to be part of the news when their looking for the missing.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in Duck right now too.  Half the family is fleeing the storm.  I just resupplied with beer and ice.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:58:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's a link to the NHC surge map

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/115906.shtml?inundation#contents

We're south of Wilmington 200 yards from the tideline.

We've had 2 rain bands come over with 10-15 mph gusts.  Calm now.

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#7]
If I was on any of the OBX's I would leave and go inland.  This is coming from somebody in Wilmington.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm oceanfront in Topsail Beach RFN.  Blow me, Arthur!  Cat 1?   LOL!

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I was on any of the OBX's I would leave and go inland.  This is coming from somebody in Wilmington.
View Quote

LOL...love it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Im sitting here in Jacksonville drinking beer thinking Ive seen thunderstorms worse than this. Just heavy rain here right now.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Weather Channel just said its cat 2 with 100 mph winds.  Party on.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Im sitting here in Jacksonville drinking beer thinking Ive seen thunderstorms worse than this. Just heavy rain here right now.
View Quote

Yep, and nor'easters.  I've rode out a many of hurricanes slightly inland of OBX and on the OBX.  Now high cat 3 and above I'm leaving.  I was outside in the eye of a cat 3 and during part of the backside of it.  It was not fun.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Warnings now saying significant flooding... we parked our cars on high ground... walking back now.

Crosses fingers

Our driveway is level  with our dock. Which is only 2.5-3ft above the sound wayer level
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yep, and nor'easters.  I've rode out a many of hurricanes slightly inland of OBX and on the OBX.  Now high cat 3 and above I'm leaving.  I was outside in the eye of a cat 3 and during part of the backside of it.  It was not fun.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I moved to the Outer Banks  In 1999 during Hurricane Dennis ( unloading the truck between the bands of rain and wind) but i left when Floyd came through
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Warnings now saying significant flooding... we parked our cars on high ground... walking back now.

Crosses fingers

Our driveway is level  with our dock. Which is only 2.5-3ft above the sound wayer level
View Quote

This!
The winds isn't the issue its the surge.  I wouldn't want a flooded car.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#16]
The wind is picking up here now.  87 mph gusts!

ETA the weatherman said 87 mph enough times I had to repeat it.  Actual wind still isn't that intense here yet.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 7:27:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm just inland in Elizabeth City. So far it's still calm here. We'll probably lose power but at my house any half assed storm will do that lol.

Have an extra room of anybody needs it
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 8:31:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The wind is picking up here now.  87 mph gusts!

ETA the weatherman said 87 mph enough times I had to repeat it.  Actual wind still isn't that intense here yet.
View Quote

You don't happen to know the local channel on direct tv do you?

The place we are at added direct tv and there seems to be no organizationto the way the channels are numbered.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#19]
10 - 12 I think.  But I'm watching cops.  Wife, baby, and MIL all went to bed, I'm too excited to sleep.  The "local" channels are near by but not actually OBX that I saw.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I know it's after the storm, but the main issue with any hurricane is the loss of power for a few days. Prepare for that more than anything. Always fill up your gas cans, because there is potential for gas shortages when everyone starts hunting gas for their generators.

Went through Katrina in MS when it was an inland Cat 1 storm. My parents were without power for 3 weeks after the storm.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:49:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We are up in Duck sound front and we are wondering if we should worry about our car? At max the driveway is 4-6ft above the bay water level.
View Quote

How did you make out ?  I heard most of 12 was under water and that they closed the bridge to check for structural integrity.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How did you make out ?  I heard most of 12 was under water and that they closed the bridge to check for structural integrity.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forgot to respond to this...

Dissappointing to say the least!

At one point around 5 am, the water in the sound by us was basically gone!  You could see the bottom for a few hundred yards out. Then in an hour or so it came up to about where it was. Never went about normal levels... I really wanted to swim in our back yard!

But in all honesty I'm glad nothing bad happenned, as its a nice place and nice people. The T-storms we had a few days later caused more flooding then the damn hurrican!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top