Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2014 7:38:40 AM EDT
Curse of arfcom strikes again, I suppose.

Wife informed me Friday that she is filling for divorce. Been together six years. Married for one of it. Celebrated our anniversary last month.

We have no mutual debt, no kids, just a bank account in our names. Already moved all her stuff out-- so we're not even fighting for property.

Any of you with experience in this care to give me a heads up for what I'm in for?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:46:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, BUT to answer your question....

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:31:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Wife informed me Friday that she is filling for divorce. Been together six years. Married for one of it. Celebrated our anniversary last month.

We have no mutual debt, no kids, just a bank account in our names. Already moved all her stuff out-- so we're not even fighting for property.

Any of you with experience in this care to give me a heads up for what I'm in for?
View Quote

1st, I'm sorry for what you're going though...  It Sucks and I never want to do it again...

Depends on the mindsets and how well you all play together in the Split...

Hopefully, she has maintained at least some sort of a job? This way, most likely, you won't be liable to Alimony...

I just went thought something similar...  I was with my wife for almost 18 years, last 6 of them, we were married...

After a very nice vacation in Florida, she informed me, she wasn't happy...  Her main thing was I spent to much time working (to provide all the shit she had to have, Dinners, trips, movies, expensive purses, new cars, toys,  etc.. etc.. and my Guns to be fair)

You two really have two options... Fight it out in court and spend a SHIT ton of money fighting money over not much and being shitty to each other...

Or, seeing a Mediator...

You will be best served to sit down with her and write down on paper, a list of goods of who gets what items in the house,

Like, TVs, furniture, stereos, DVDs, dishes, dogs,

Bigger items like Cars, Boats, ATVs, Cabins, Land, Credit cards, etc...

Make it specify,

He is not liable for any Alimony or Child Support

She is not liable for any Alimony or Child Support

She gets these credit cards debts, and is responsible for these taxes

He gets these credit cards debts, and is responsible for these taxes.

Make sure everything is covered and spelled out to prevent later attacks... :)

Then you take it to the mediator and tell them, we've both agreed we don't want to be married any more, its not working, there is no chance to fix it.

They'll take your documents, draw it up and you both have to sign a few things and get it notarized, then they'll submit it to the court, it could take two weeks to a month, depending on their timing and the backlogs...

Then, you'll get a call, saying as of, XX/XX/XXXX you are legally divorced... Keep copies of everything in Safe or Safe Deposit box..

If I was you, I'd seek legal council, 1st, just to protect yourself. But try and do it via a Mediator..  If there is no fighting and bickering, you can get it done for 1500.00..  If not, the Skys the limit...  

The lawyers want you two to fight...  Every call, fax, email, stamp, etc towards your case will cost you a 1/4 of an hour legal fees,,,

A third, but not recommenced option, I have a friend that him and his wife downloaded all the forms off of St. Louis County's websites and did it themselves, for like $150.00 or so in filing fees, but I didn't trust I wouldn't make a mistake or she wouldn't do something not in my favor.  I preferred to pay the lawyer to navigate the legal bullshit, that's what they go to school for.

If you have more questions on this, I'd more than happy to talk to ya, Voice, IM or whatever... I could even tell you who we used, if needed.

Good luck man!!!

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've never been through it so I really don't have much to offer in the way of advice.  Just wanted to say sorry to hear and best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:07:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Im going through it, on the other hand, im the one who left.  

Even so, its tough and emotional becasue you did invest your life with another person.  

My wife doesnt want to divorce and wants to try anything she can to fix things but her actions of late and inactions durring the relationship have burned me.  I told her it take two to work on things and she only has half the willing people to make things work out.  

In the long run she has no choice as its happening wheter she likes it or not.  She gets served in a few days... her options are to maturely separate things or if I have to spend a shit ton on court costs, im going to be aggressinve in my assets.  

In your case, I know its tough on the recieving end.  I feel bad for what I did by leaving becasue I know it hurts her, but I would feel worse staying in a relationship I wasnt invested in any more.  Its gonna suck but let her go if thats what she is sure she wants.. Keeping a running dog tied up doesnt make for a happy dog.  In the long run, you will be happier.  I can promise that much.  Dont let your emotions get involved.  The separation is a business transaction.  

Best regards
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:07:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I appreciate the words and advice guys.

It should go fairly smoothly, but I've got representation who is well versed in my specific situation, and seems confident in his ability to protect my ass(ets)

I expect to be served here soon, looking forward to getting this episode of my life in the past and moving on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top