Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/13/2008 7:11:00 PM EDT
OK In a month I get a new chair so this one is being turned into a mess around with chair. Soooooo I'm mountin my ar to it. I basically want it to be like a turret on the humvees how they hold the 50's. full rotating with around 30 degrees of tilt to aim either up or down. This will be stout to support the weight of riflrs front half.

It must it to mount to a rail so I need help figuring out how to achieve this. The mount to the rifle is stumping me

Link Posted: 12/13/2008 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#1]
That picture is avatar material.
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#2]
If your AR has a quad rail on it, it may be possible to modify a Picatinny mount so it could attach to one of the side rails and has an armature like the ones that hold a computer monitor that has springs to counter balance the weight of it.

Maybe something like this welded to a scope mount where it attaches to the monitor swivel.

There are lots of different styles of these out there and these monitors probably weigh around the same as a loaded AR.

Link Posted: 12/13/2008 7:48:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome. You should also try and find a way to mount a spot light from a crown vic. I would also recommend a nice multi cam or urban camo paint job
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#4]
At first I thought you wanted something like ATV rifle mounts

but you're wanting to really trick it out.

You may have to go with a total custom fabrication. You could get very creative depending on how much dough you want to blow. I wish we could get Morgan Freeman to whip something up in the basement for you.  

This has potental

Heres a cool sight for some ideas.

Link Posted: 12/13/2008 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#5]
What handgun are you shooting there?
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#6]
24/7?  Maybe a SIG?
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#7]
yup 24/7 9mm

my ar is getting rails so it will be picanny mounted. I had thought of JJ's or some other heim joints but really need to focus on the mount to the rifle.

here is my plan using 1" tube and 3 heim joints. 2 to make a swing arm and one on the tube goin verticle that attaches to the rifle to give me elevation

here is my rifle to tube attachment. Use 2 to handle recoil

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Command_Arms_Dual_Scope_Ring_Rail_Mount.html

Link Posted: 12/14/2008 9:02:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Neat idea!
I built some stuff for my late wife's wheelchair. First a bracket to hold a voice amplifier, then a mount to support a Leo communication touchscreen, things like that.
Her chair was different from yours, but the armrests removed easily, so I welded up a bracket that slipped over the vertical tubing under the armrest.
If you do something similar, it is pretty easy to remove the bracket when you don't want it in the way.

Reading the MO posts, there is a lot of collective knowledge here. Wildwilli is on the right track, with adapting a ready-mad bracket to your needs.
Do you want a hand with this epic project? I'm near St Louis, and volunteering.
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I think you need some spade grips

http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/New%20Products.htm
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think you need some spade grips

http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/New%20Products.htm

Made it hot.
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Dont know how good the brakes hold on that thing, but i have couple beltfeds and mounts that may just work, get you set up like a mobile quad .50, except in .30 cal.
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 11:01:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 1:39:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I have been thinking about it and the best I can come up with is the old school UH1/M60 bungee cord thing.
Simply have a mast rising from the rear of the chair, over the top and a bungee or two to suspend the rifle from. Gives maximum flexibility of movement, no special mounts needed.

ETA;
Like this....

Yellow is frame
red is bungee
pink is.... well.... pink....
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Wheelchairman,

I have an idea on how to do what you want.  It seems like I remember that you lived in/or close to Chillicothe.  I'm thinking about 75 to 100 dollars worth of materials.  We might get by cheaper if we could do a little more research on where to get materials.  I live in Chillicothe and would be willing to help you do this.  IM or email if interested.
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Wheelchairman,

I have an idea on how to do what you want.  It seems like I remember that you lived in/or close to Chillicothe.  I'm thinking about 75 to 100 dollars worth of materials.  We might get by cheaper if we could do a little more research on where to get materials.  I live in Chillicothe and would be willing to help you do this.  PM if interested.

I might be able to help with the cost, if you use steel.  My family has a steel distribution and fabrication shop,  its in Blue Springs, but I could get you the steel for cost and do any cutting and welding myself.  LMK

Link Posted: 12/14/2008 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#17]
So are you shooting skeet with that thing?  Or is that just the post-recoil pic?  
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wheelchairman,

I have an idea on how to do what you want.  It seems like I remember that you lived in/or close to Chillicothe.  I'm thinking about 75 to 100 dollars worth of materials.  We might get by cheaper if we could do a little more research on where to get materials.  I live in Chillicothe and would be willing to help you do this.  PM if interested.

I might be able to help with the cost, if you use steel.  My family has a steel distribution and fabrication shop,  its in Blue Springs, but I could get you the steel for cost and do any cutting and welding myself.  LMK

thanks jakeT, I have all the tools for cutting, drilling, tapping, welding,,, etc.  I should have most, if not all the steel in my scrap pile except for some pipe.  and I may have enough pipe.  the main expense will be for a couple items I have in mind for the pivot and the mount.  and a few bucks for some hardware.

ETA:  If I could talk this over with Wheelchairman and he likes the idea, maybe we could find some cheap parts or donated parts from our hometown crew and we could cut the cost down to 10 bucks or so...
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Good deal, yeah I should have mentioned our scrap rack, I can get you anything you need out of there for free, so I still might be able to help with some small OD pipe or square tube.  And got access to lots of nuts, bolts, washers and hardware like that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a bunch of 2" schedule 40 steel pipe.  It's heavy, but I'm willing to contribute 10 or 20 linear feet if it can be used.

Link Posted: 12/14/2008 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Something like this is what popped into my mind.

Link Posted: 12/14/2008 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#25]
mmmmm larue always makes sexy mounts But I bet its pricy

As far as location I'm in Lebanon Mo. But have family in both chillicothe and blue springs so a work day for this is very possible as I am out of school from the 18th through mid jan and can stay at either place any time.

One thing to consider with this build is that will need to be height adjustable. Not by much but just enough to work with various rifles optics. Pirate4x4 is also onboard with this so together I bet some sick ideas will be thought up but i think what we have here and on pirate is a definite winner.

Maybe make the leg that supports the whole unit sleeved with bolt holes for verticle height adjustment or just make that leg attach via tube bolt flanges from copperhead fab. You could just swap out leg heights ( i have several)

Anyway I will be in Blue Springs Saturday and Chillicothe Friday evening. IM me if any of ya wanna get together and hangout/shoot. Will have ar and 24/7 in tow
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#26]
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9135784#post9135784

Link Posted: 12/14/2008 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#27]
wheelchairman!!  A fellow crip!!  I've been in mine for about two years.  I can walk about ten feet if I had too.

Let me hijack your thread for a minute.  Do you have a CCW?  If so, how do you carry in the chair?  I've been looking for ways besides a shoulder rig.

Man I thought I was the only four wheeler in here!  Wow!  We got a club!
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 9:59:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
wheelchairman!!  A fellow crip!!  I've been in mine for about two years.  I can walk about ten feet if I had too.

Let me hijack your thread for a minute.  Do you have a CCW?  If so, how do you carry in the chair?  I've been looking for ways besides a shoulder rig.

Man I thought I was the only four wheeler in here!  Wow!  We got a club!

Naaaa I'm only 18 so no ccw as of now. Although a fanny pack attached to the armrest area between the armrest and seat makes a neat little way to pefectly conceal....... not that I would know
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 12:56:02 AM EDT
[#29]
My chair is so damn padded there isn't a place to drill anywhere.  I'm stuck with a shoulder rig for now.  18!!  Damn kid were you born in that thing?  What do you have?  I have bum hips and lungs.  I can do a walker but I feel like a dweeb using it.  I much prefer running down two legged folks.    Mine's almost brand new and tops out at around 7 mph.  Maybe we can race sometime!  Good to meet ya!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 4:49:08 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

mmmmm larue always makes sexy mounts
But I bet its pricy

As far as location I'm in Lebanon Mo. But have family in both chillicothe and blue springs so a work day for this is very possible as I am out of school from the 18th through mid jan and can stay at either place any time.

One thing to consider with this build is that will need to be height adjustable. Not by much but just enough to work with various rifles optics. Pirate4x4 is also onboard with this so together I bet some sick ideas will be thought up but i think what we have here and on pirate is a definite winner.

Maybe make the leg that supports the whole unit sleeved with bolt holes for verticle height adjustment or just make that leg attach via tube bolt flanges from copperhead fab. You could just swap out leg heights ( i have several)

Anyway I will be in Blue Springs Saturday and Chillicothe Friday evening. IM me if any of ya wanna get together and hangout/shoot. Will have ar and 24/7 in tow
I wont be around this weekend, last weekend for deer and I'll be out of town hunting Saturday and Sunday.  But then I work only Monday and Tuesday then Im off till after New Years.  So if you come up with a design I could give you some help on my time off.

Link Posted: 12/18/2008 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My chair is so damn padded there isn't a place to drill anywhere.  I'm stuck with a shoulder rig for now.  18!!  Damn kid were you born in that thing?  What do you have?  I have bum hips and lungs.  I can do a walker but I feel like a dweeb using it.  I much prefer running down two legged folks.    Mine's almost brand new and tops out at around 7 mph.  Maybe we can race sometime!  Good to meet ya!!

BUMP

Ya i pretty much was. I have a birth defect where not all my vertebraes formed so My brain can't relay all the signals to the muscles and the muscles being used in odd ways really f'd up my hips and have limited use of my left arm. I have a full spine fusion actually! I can walk around 150ft or so but the chair is much easier. I personally am glad I was born with it because if it's all you know there is nothing to miss. I don't see how you do it being in the chair for only 2 yrs.

I'm gettin a new chair next month but it will be slow. It's only 7.5mph mine now is 8.5
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Dont know how good the brakes hold on that thing, but i have couple beltfeds and mounts that may just work, get you set up like a mobile quad .50, except in .30 cal.

I knew there was some reason I liked you.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wheelchairman,

Eric10mm gave me a heads-up of your thread.

My thoughts are the Manfrotto tripod we provide with our SPOT'R system is a good start.

We have a picatinny adapter mounted in the Manfrotto 322RC2 joystick head that you drop the 6 o'clock AR rail into and lock it . With your left hand you squeeze the joystick grip and manuver the rifle that's against your right shoulder (or vice versa) up, down, and all around.  The joysick itself is mounted atop the "stinger" that's mounted in the tripod.  The "stinger" receptacle atop the tripod could be hacked up and mounted to a straddle mount of some sort, the straddle mount being clamped to both arm rest of the chair or thereabouts.

Your thoughts ?

ML

ETA - Sir Fingar has pics, I'll throw him this link.

I hate to ask but what's that tripod thing run?
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#34]
ya I'd hate to know  

OK guys I have a professional tripod that willbe the main componet. It has 360 degree turn and a total of 150 degrees of elevation.....  I'm pumped

Now to figure out how to mount the rifle to the tripod head. It's a flat top with a T slot that we could bolt a mount to.

I need an adaptor that mounts a rail to a rail..... basically two of the clamp sides
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#35]
If I may further hijack this thread, I've had an idea for a couple years but have no skills (or cash) to make it happen. The basic premise is take something like the chair pictured, turn the seat around 180 degrees, replace the drive wheels with trail bike wheels and knobby tires, then change the motor and gears to make it act like an ATV cruising through the woods and fields. There's simply too much hunting that I miss because I can't get there. I need a wheelchair with ground clearance, big aggressive tires and lots of torque.
  I've heard that those robot war deals would do the trick, but I'm neither an engineer nor a mechanic. I can't make my idea come true.  Anyone who could, would possibly be in line to make some money off of it.

EDIT -  While we're inventing stuff, those little rubber feet things for crutches and canes suck real bad! Either the bottom wears smooth and starts slipping, or the crutch/cane cuts through from the inside and suddenly you've got aluminum sliding across the floor. If they'd use old/used tires and cut the circles out the right size, the steel belts would stop the crutch from cutting through and the rubber is strong enough to last under the relatively little use it'd actually see. They could vulcanize the side part on, where it slips onto the cane or crutch.

I'd love to see someone with mad skills take on one or both of these tasks.
Maybe I could have the prototype wheelchair for my idea.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 1:18:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Hmmm...I can envision a chair with tracks on it It'd be pretty sweet, have the controls set up like a bobcat.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 2:12:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Do you have any movement problems in your hands/arms bc i can see that effecting your design?
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 4:33:34 AM EDT
[#38]
gocop  google 4x4 wheelchair and tankchair

also i do havi limited use of left arm but with this design that shouldn't be an issue
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I'VE SEEN THAT TANK CHAIR, WITH THE MAT-TRAX ON IT AND IT LOOKS SWEET. I ALSO CAN'T AFFORD IT, SO I'M TRYING TO COME UP WITH SOMETHING REASONABLE.

SORRY FOR THE CAPS; MY KEYBOARD MESSED UP.
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 10:45:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Ok got everything 100% figured out. I just need to get a cheap detach carry handle. I dont care what it looks like as long as it will hold. Where is the cheapest place?
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#41]
If you had a BUIS ya could live without, I'd trade ya my handle.
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#42]
ya no buis here. My ar is an A1 upper.

ETA also need bolt on rails to the bottom of my factory handgaurd. Carbine length. Would like them to be in stock
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
ya I'd hate to know  

OK guys I have a professional tripod that willbe the main componet. It has 360 degree turn and a total of 150 degrees of elevation.....  I'm pumped

Now to figure out how to mount the rifle to the tripod head. It's a flat top with a T slot that we could bolt a mount to.

I need an adaptor that mounts a rail to a rail..... basically two of the clamp sides

Wouldn't it be easier to modify a quad than to build up a wheel chair?
Something like getting rid of the stock motorcycle type seat and installing a chair type seat instead? You could easily install a mount on the front rack too. On my quad all controls are on the bars so no need to relocate brake pedals.
BTW, a mounted gun that pivots under the rifle will severely limit traverse. The amount of side to side movement will depend on you moving behind the gun. Now a ring type mount (think deuce and a half cab top mount) will allow the gun to swing around you. All you have to do is rotate your upper body. A fully flexible (UH1 door gunner w/M60 hanging from a bungee) would allow even more movement of the gun and require less from the operator.
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#44]
That would be too limiting Gary. There are places you can take a wheelchair, but they won't allow ATVs (even if they're special purpose like that). It's also about hauling them around without having to get extra equipment, using the chair for Walmart when you're not hunting etc.
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Some great ideas listed so far.  I sure would be interested in seeing some pictures as you make progress on this project.  

You'll have to bring the new tactical chair out to the next KC area shoot.  I would like to see how it works out.  

We could always give it a final functional check to see how it handles a subgun or M16 without moving backwards.
Link Posted: 2/2/2009 6:30:59 AM EDT
[#46]
sent you a pm.
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#47]
found under forearm rail for 16 shipped through CTD. I would like to have a full forearm but this will do. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a cheap carry handle. The guy above has one but will take a couple weeks to ship since he works out of state. In the mean time I plan to buy a 1ft square of 1/8 steel and probably 6 ft of 1.5 .095 wall square tubing for the leg to mount it.

This will be large enough to allow me to take the head off the tripod and the height adjustable thingy fit down inside it like a sleeve. Plus it will be frickin beefy allowing it to not bend with recoil overtime. So I will have two systems to mount with and the tripod mound will double as a good tool for standard video
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I plan to buy a 1ft square of 1/8 steel and probably 6 ft of 1.5 .095 wall square tubing for the leg to mount it.

I can help with the 1/8 plate but the .095 sq tube might be a bit harder to come by.  I can get 1.5x1.5x .125 or .o625, but 3/32 would be .o9375 and I dont think that is very standard but can check if that is all that can be used.  IM me if need a source.  I can get the 11ga/ 1/8 plate for you for nothing and the sq tube for little to nothing, Im in Blue Springs.

Link Posted: 3/7/2009 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Got the carry handle from clayman90 and he also threw in a tri rail mount Got the handgaurd rail from ctd for 16ish and just got back from a buddies house installing it. I had to dremel out the holes of the heat shield as one was waaaaaaay undersized for the handgaurd screw. Got it on and its rock solid. I can push it down to the point the top of the handgaurd wants to pop out so i feel confidant the carry handle will hold up to 223 recoil.

My mount to attach it to the legrest will be done monday or tues. Its being made by my bros buddy who is a welder in town. It will be pretty slick.

Link Posted: 3/13/2009 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Got it done and its sooooo frickin sick!!!!!

Much thanks go out to my buddy brad who made the bracket during his lunch breaks at his welding job. It's all tig welded aluminum

I gotta grease the ball joints a bit as they are stiff but it will easily swivel I can do gun comps now i think What makes mine so different than the other gun mounts for chairs is that mine will hold itself. the others the user must support the buttstock and prevent the muzzle from coming off rest when fired. this has survived the jerk test and looks like recoil will be a non issue! and if i need to I can fully letgo of the rifle switch to pistol or do mag changes or grab a bite of a sammich.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top