Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/11/2008 5:09:17 AM EDT
We are please to announce the dates for the 3rd annual Midwest 3-Gun Championships, sponsored by FNH-USA. The match will be held June 6-8, 2008 at the Fire For Effect Range in Fayette, MO (CMMG Range). The prize table will include over 40 guns as well as thousands of dollars of other prizes. We will have an entry form available soon. Entries will be cut off at 150 and the price of the match will be $185. Last year almost a 1/3 of the entries took home guns! Please email with any questions. [email protected].

Entry Form

Sponsor Form

Match Schedule

Squad List

Round Count:
Rifle-115
Pistol-154
Shotgun-79
M-249 SAW Machine Gun 10

Yes that is right! We will have a M-249 machine gun the shooter will start with on one stage. The shooter will be able to makeup any shots missed when they transition to their rifle.

There will also be several side matches, one run by Nordic Components to demo their new 10/22 stock. Prize will be a fully loaded 10/22 from them.

We have decided to add a Heavy Tactical Optics Class to the match. The rules are the same as DPMS Tri-Gun Challenge.

Schedule:
Friday-Registration  from 7:00-8:30
          Shooters Meeting 8:45-9:00
          Match starts         9:00-12:00
          Lunch                  12:00-1:00
          Match                  1:00-5:00

Saturday-Match Starts    8:00-12:00
               Lunch             12:00-1:00
               Match            1:00-5:00

Sunday-Match Starts     8:00-10:00
            Team Event      10:00-11:00
            Awards            11:00-12:00

Hope to see you there!

Steve
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 6:21:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 10:34:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure there will be a record breaking high temperatures that weekend
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Im dancing up and down like a little school girl
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome!  I knew if I went ahead and planned my last days of vacation, it would make you guys post a date on a different weekend!  

I do have a question.  last year, we had to show up Thursday night for a orientation brief.  Do we have to do that this year?  That's an extra night of hotel expense and a day off work for those of us short on vacation time.  Or, can we show up early Fri morning for that?

And yes, eagerly awaiting rules, CoFs, and round counts.  (Although, I'm already planning on Tac Optics this time around, maybe stick with Tac Iron depending on CoFs.)
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#6]
This would be a good place to look around  Link
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Can anyone give me a brief, yet detailed, rundown of the classes/categories that a shooter can enter and what gear is allowed in each?

"Open"?
"Limited"?
"Heavy Metal"?

Last year they had:
Open - Pretty Much Anything Goes: dot sights, speedloaders on shotguns, extended mags, yadda yadda  This is the 'race gun' class.  Tons of shooters in this class, including lots of real live Professional Shooters.

Tactical Optics - Basic Military optics like Acogs and EOTechs, 'basic' scopes.  I think other equipment is 'stock'  Lots of shooters in this class.

Tactical Iron - Iron Sights only, 'stock' equipment.  This would be like Limited Class.  There were 20 of us in this class last year.  

Heavy Metal - .308 Battle Rifle, 8 round .40 cal or larger side arm, and pump action 12 ga, all iron sights only.  A very Unique class, there was only 10 or 12 shooters in this one last year.

(Lots of good and professional shooters in all classes.  In Tac Iron, we had the Vet that cleared the long range rifle stage and several members of the US Army's shooting team.  Those guys were friggin amazing.
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Can anyone give me a brief, yet detailed, rundown of the classes/categories that a shooter can enter and what gear is allowed in each?

"Open"?
"Limited"?
"Heavy Metal"?

Last year they had:
Open - Pretty Much Anything Goes: dot sights, speedloaders on shotguns, extended mags, yadda yadda  This is the 'race gun' class.  Tons of shooters in this class, including lots of real live Professional Shooters.

Tactical Optics - Basic Military optics like Acogs and EOTechs, 'basic' scopes.  I think other equipment is 'stock'  Lots of shooters in this class.

Tactical Iron - Iron Sights only, 'stock' equipment.  This would be like Limited Class.  There were 20 of us in this class last year.  

Heavy Metal - .308 Battle Rifle, .8 round 40 cal 10rnd .44 cal or larger side arm, and pump action 12 ga, all iron sights only.  A very Unique class, there was only 10 or 12 shooters in this one last year.

(Lots of good and professional shooters in all classes.  In Tac Iron, we had the Vet that cleared the long range rifle stage and several members of the US Army's shooting team.  Those guys were friggin amazing.
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heavy Metal - .308 Battle Rifle, 8 round .40 cal or larger side arm, and pump action 12 ga, all iron sights only.  A very Unique class, there was only 10 or 12 shooters in this one last year.

Yikes!  Iron sights on the .308 rifle?  No scope at all?    Hmm, might have to rethink that route and try for the "Tac optics" class.  I wonder if it is/was allowed to swap optics between stages, say from a dot sight to a magnified scope?

Oh yes, did they allow bipods?  (I give a hearty every time I hear "no bipods" from the RO on a CMMG rifle course.   WTF?)

Hey Dude,

No you can't swope out anything.  In Tactical Optic you would have one optic on your AR, and that would be it.  The big dogs had 1-4 or 1-5 high end scopes that cost more than all my gear.  The 9mm would be your best choice in this class as well, and a auto loading shotty.  

The only class that you'd want to use a .308 (7.62x51) would be heavy metal, and the .45 acp in pistol, and a pump shotty in stead.

No Bipods in any class was allowed.  I think "Open Class" allows vertical grips, and speed loaders for the shottys.  They also allow for a higher capacity tube on the shottys.

I'm sure that they'll post COFs, and Rules closer to match time.  They did last year.  You can look at the COF on a computer screen, and think that your getting prepared. Let me tell you one thing, that all goes out the window when you get there.
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yikes!  Iron sights on the .308 rifle?  No scope at all?    Hmm, might have to rethink that route and try for the "Tac optics" class.  I wonder if it is/was allowed to swap optics between stages, say from a dot sight to a magnified scope?

Oh yes, did they allow bipods?  (I give a hearty every time I hear "no bipods" from the RO on a CMMG rifle course.   WTF?)

Hey Dude,

No you can't swope out anything.  In Tactical Optic you would have one optic on your AR, and that would be it.  The big dogs had 1-4 or 1-5 high end scopes that cost more than all my gear.  The 9mm would be your best choice in this class as well, and a auto loading shotty.  

The only class that you'd want to use a .308 (7.62x51) would be heavy metal, and the .45 acp in pistol, and a pump shotty in stead.

No Bipods in any class was allowed.  I think "Open Class" allows vertical grips, and speed loaders for the shottys.  They also allow for a higher capacity tube on the shottys.

I'm sure that they'll post COFs, and Rules closer to match time.  They did last year.  You can look at the COF on a computer screen, and think that your getting prepared. Let me tell you one thing, that all goes out the window when you get there.

A hearty Plus One on this statement.  I thought I was ready, and as I have mentioned, I timed out on every rifle stage.  And, it wasn't neccessarily because I was missing the targets!

I recall seeing some of the open guys using bipods on the open guns...also, there was a guy with a beta mag with a couple inches of foam on the bottom of it, and he used it as a mono-pod.  Some of the guys in tac iron used 40 round mags as monopods as well....
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Heavy Metal - .308 Battle Rifle, .8 round 40 cal 10rnd .44 cal or larger side arm, ....

As in, your pistol may only hold 10+1 rounds?  (Which would save me from "having" to buy more $30 Arredondo +4 mag extension kits for my G21 mags. )

The mag length rules are in effect. So, no mag extensions, or you'd be in open class.  Also, last year, we had to start with unchambered pistols on most stages, so no +1 loadings.  But, as a 10 round .45 guy, I can tell you that 1 round doesn't matter when you have to do 3-SIX reloads on the stages!!  (I most likely will be using a 9mm this year, and very possibly switching out my pump Moss 500 for my Remington 1100 auto...)
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The mag length rules are in effect. So, no mag extensions, or you'd be in open class.

I just wondered if I could load my 13rd mags to their full, non-extended capacity or not.

A set of written rules to peruse would be great!  

In Heavy Metal, you would have to download to 10 rounds.  In any other class, you load up to the mag capacity.

Link Posted: 3/12/2008 1:58:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
.. Also, last year, we had to start with unchambered pistols on most stages, so no +1 loadings.  

What kinda stupid, idiotic stuff is it to start with an unloaded pistol?    Whose bright idea was that?  

CMMG's.    

I think the unloaded pistol thing was for safety.  There were no draws from holsters, and you had to safe your guns and leave them in boxes or barrels before moving to the next shoot box.  So....We'll see if that changes or not this year.  I can't remember now if every pistol stage started unloaded, or just a couple for 'scenero' purposes....
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
.. Also, last year, we had to start with unchambered pistols on most stages, so no +1 loadings.  

What kinda stupid, idiotic stuff is it to start with an unloaded pistol?    Whose bright idea was that?  

That was one of my biggest gripes about last year.  I know they were probably just catering to the lowest common denomonator, but I still think it should be more realistic.  Just follow USPSA/ IPSC rules, require secure holsters, and DQ those who can operate safely.  Although that would require some type of equipment evaluation, but the RO's are more than capable of doing that at the first stage of the day.  If you don't have the $$ to get a good belt and an uncle mikes kydex holster, then you probably don't have the $$$ for the entrance fee, or the ammo to run the courses anyway.  I will be very dissappointed if we don't get use our holsters for more than just tote'n pistols from stage to stage.  

Polytech

ETA:  There may be a "heavy metal optics" class, there's been some at a few matches lately.  I believe its that same as heavy metal, but you can have one optic on your rifle.

ETA2:  There were stages where you started with your pistol loaded, the stage I was on would load everybody up and let them +1 "barney up"
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Heh...we're kind of cluttering up the tacked thread here.

This whole thing reminds me though, I need to start working on my '3-gun transportation system'.  (Either a baby stroller or a wagon, haven't quite decided yet.  Either way, I need to get one built before the April 5th match!)
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

This whole thing reminds me though, I need to start working on my '3-gun transportation system'.  (Either a baby stroller or a wagon, haven't quite decided yet.  Either way, I need to get one built before the April 5th match!)

Not perfect, but I picked up a golf bag cart at dicks sporting goods for $20 bucks!  I'll see if I can make it functional, its alot cheaper than a baby jogger or a wagon, of course capacity is less, but cheap usually wins out in my book!

Polytech
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Maybe me and ARKC should start our own thread
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/14/2008 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Attachments of Sponsorship and enrty forms added to first post. More to come when it is known.

Steve
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#26]
They are pretty clear that the rules are the same as the DPMS match.  So,  DPMS Match Rules

Personally,  I prefer the MGM Ironman rules and classes,  but I will be there anyway.
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
6.7 HEAVY METAL CLASS
6.7.3.2 .44 caliber bore or larger for all revolvers and semi-automatic pistols.
6.7.3.3 No more than 8 rounds allowed in any magazine at any time. (Single Stack Rules)
==========================
8 rounds?!?    Pretty much screws the G21 guys, huh.

At least they can play.  I have been to matches where Heavy Metal means 1911 - period.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
6.7 HEAVY METAL CLASS
6.7.3.2 .44 caliber bore or larger for all revolvers and semi-automatic pistols.
6.7.3.3 No more than 8 rounds allowed in any magazine at any time. (Single Stack Rules)
==========================

Yeah, we mentioned that in the other thread.  Besides, Eric, weren't you the one arguing for making the pistol stages revolver/lower-cap gun friendly?  

(I'm just messing with ya.  My .45's all hold a minimum of 10 rounds, and ironically, my 1911 is the 'hi-cap' at 13+1...)
Link Posted: 3/19/2008 5:04:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I think that was the point of the class, the old single stack guys didn't want to step into the 21st century  Last year they allowed 10 rounds though, cause there was a bunch of XD's
Link Posted: 3/19/2008 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that was the point of the class, the old single stack guys didn't want to step into the 21st century  Last year they allowed 10 rounds though, cause there was a bunch of XD's

Your joking, right? I shot HM with a single stack and never knew I was shooting against 10 round XDs. I wouldn't of been happy had I known, Not that I'm happy to hear it now. WTF? You are messing around right?
Link Posted: 3/19/2008 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your joking, right? I shot HM with a single stack and never knew I was shooting against 10 round XDs. I wouldn't of been happy had I known, Not that I'm happy to hear it now. WTF? You are messing around right?

Well I may be wrong about the round count, its been a while.  but I'm 100% sure about there being double-stack guns in HM.  There was a New Zealander that shot a socom rifle and an xd.

Polytech
Link Posted: 4/1/2008 11:53:31 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not perfect, but I picked up a golf bag cart at dicks sporting goods for $20 bucks!  I'll see if I can make it functional, its alot cheaper than a baby jogger or a wagon, of course capacity is less, but cheap usually wins out in my book!

Polytech

I don't know if you can fit everything in a golf bag cart.  Strollers are the way to go, unless you just buy the pre-made kick-ass one from Rugged.

Rugged Gear 3-gun cart

For DIY,  see:

www.geocities.com/utahmga/cart.html
or

www.cherokeegunclub.org/Downloads-index-req-viewsdownload-sid-4.phtml

Remember that it is not just convenience - you will perform better (particularly on a hot day) if you have your cooler of Gatorade with you.  Also,  if it is sandy or windy at all,  covering the guns produces an improvement in reliability.

Link Posted: 4/1/2008 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm already ahead of you  got a broken jogger stroller off the curb last week
Link Posted: 4/1/2008 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#35]
That Rugged cart is awesome!  I just may have to buy one of those.  I have a feeling that if I ever do get around to tracking down a stoller at a garage sale or something, it still won't be as nice as that one!

Might just have to order one....
Link Posted: 4/1/2008 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
That Rugged cart is awesome!  I just may have to buy one of those.  I have a feeling that if I ever do get around to tracking down a stoller at a garage sale or something, it still won't be as nice as that one!

the rugger cart is nothing more than a standard jogger with a set of $20 atv gun racks and a few of the pieces removed like the seat padding and the little shade thing.  The only thing a garage sale/ craigs list stroller won't have is that little nylon thing at the muzzle of the guns, and maybe the extra pockets.  But if you have a shooters bag the pockets don't really matter.  Save the money and build your own!    After my trip to bass pro and the bike shop today I have a grand total of $30 invested in mine
Link Posted: 4/1/2008 2:38:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the rugger cart is nothing more than a standard jogger with a set of $20 atv gun racks and a few of the pieces removed like the seat padding and the little shade thing.  The only thing a garage sale/ craigs list stroller won't have is that little nylon thing at the muzzle of the guns, and maybe the extra pockets.  But if you have a shooters bag the pockets don't really matter.  Save the money and build your own!    After my trip to bass pro and the bike shop today I have a grand total of $30 invested in mine

Yeah, I need to go see what I can find for a cheap stroller.  Or, maybe one of the 'garden' wagons at cummins/harbor frieght.  I have the restriction of it needs to fit in either the Mustang's trunk, or the back of my Jeep...heh.
Link Posted: 4/1/2008 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I built my own similar to the one in the 2nd link,  but the Rugged Gear ones are nice and, IMO, worth the money.  They charge $149 - not $215 like they used to - and you would have $120 in a jogging stroller and ATV mounts and not have as nice a system as Rugged Gear.

If you have a jogging stroller already or find one cheap somewhere, the stroller + clamp mount idea is a good and affordable one.
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Not to interrupt "cart talk" but I have a question about this match, specifically the Shotgun rules.  [If this isn't the correct place to address this would someone point me in the right direction]

6.6.1 Shotguns must be of a factory configuration (see Rule 5.3)
 5.3 For purposes of this ruling, a "firearm" consists of a specific caliber, receiver, barrel, and stock and sighting system combination.

6.7.2 Shotgun Rules:
6.7.2.1 Only PUMP Shotguns are allowed in the HEAVY METAL CLASS all other requirements for shotgun must comply with Tactical Shotgun Rules, except that reduced recoil slugs are prohibited in Heavy Metal.

I have a Mossberg 590 with a sidesaddle and a Hogue [knoxx] stock, and I load my own 2-3/4" [Lee cast] slugs.  The slugs will operate both a Benelli S90 and my 1100 but I have never chron'd them and have no idea how they fit into the scheme of factory slugs.  

These rules seem to indicate that this setup isn't allowed, or am I mis-understanding the intent?
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 12:09:05 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Not to interrupt "cart talk" but I have a question about this match, specifically the Shotgun rules.  [If this isn't the correct place to address this would someone point me in the right direction]

5.3 For purposes of this ruling, a "firearm" consists of a specific caliber, receiver, barrel, and stock and sighting system combination.

6.7.2 Shotgun Rules:
6.7.2.1 Only PUMP Shotguns are allowed in the HEAVY METAL CLASS all other requirements for shotgun must comply with Tactical Shotgun Rules, except that reduced recoil slugs are prohibited in Heavy Metal.

I have a Mossberg 590 with a sidesaddle and a Hogue [knoxx] stock, and I load my own 2-3/4" [Lee cast] slugs.  The slugs will operate both a Benelli S90 and my 1100 but I have never chron'd them and have no idea how they fit into the scheme of factory slugs.  

These rules seem to indicate that this setup isn't allowed, or am I mis-understanding the intent?

Well, I use a Moss 500 w/ Knoxx CopStock, and it was allowed last year.  I did not shoot Heavy Metal, just tac iron.  So, based on that, I think your shotgun is fine, and I think your slug reloads should also be fine, I used handloads in rifle and handgun last year as well.

But, I think they might have been a bit loose on the rules last year.  Maybe they're going to tighten it up/clarify some stuff this year....we don't really know yet.  In fact, we don't really have much 'official' info on this match yet at all....
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 5:19:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

6.7.2 Shotgun Rules:

The intent is to keep exotic, not available to the public shotguns from being used.  I would email the match organizer with your question, but I am sure that your shotgun is OK.  Almost all competitors change the recoil pad and the sights on their shotguns.

You will need to chrono your slugs and make sure they meet the power factor.  Federal reduced recoil slugs out of my 22" browning have no problem. but I am shooting tactical iron anyway.  I would think that your slugs would be OK, but it is simple enough to find out.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Holy Crap!  We's gunna be on Teh Tee Vee!!

Link at brian enos' boards:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=62151

The FNH USA Midwest 3-Gun Championships has received confirmation that it will be featured on the American Riflemen TV as well as Shooting Gallery both on the Outdoor Channel. Bryce Towsley will be shooting/filming for American Rifleman TV and Michael Bane will shoot the match and film it for his show, Shooting Gallery. In addition, Patrick Sweeney will be shooting the match and doing a story for Guns and Ammo Magazine.

No pressure!  
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Are there any slots still open to shoot this match?
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes . . .

Added schedule to first post.

More updates ....... Schedule and Squad lists.

Steve
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#46]
A couple more registrations headed your way!  Black Snowman and I have sent ours in.

Also good to see that registration and such is Friday morning.....very nice, thanks!
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

6.7.2 Shotgun Rules:

I believe the intent, though far from modern reality, is for the shooters to use the same power slugs as one might use in the line of duty.  Hence their arbitrary and unrealistic power factor rule for slugs: Rule 8.5.2 Shotguns cannot use reduced recoil slugs, minimum 500 power factor.  Also, how many entrants are actually ever "in the line of duty"?

These days though, especially with more and more smaller framed men & women in their ranks, I don't know of too many departments that have not switched to the reduced recoil slugs & buckshot if they are even still fielding shotguns.  The reduced recoil buckshot loads pattern better, the slugs actually penetrate more and all with less recoil to the shooter.

To that end, I imagine some would frown on your reloaded slugs, especially if you have no idea how fast they're actually going.  These days a chronograph is well under $100, so why not buy one?  Every reloader should have one.

FWIW, Federal advertises their "reduced recoil" slugs as having a muzzle velocity of 1200fps which more than meets the match guidelines for use of slugs having a power factor of 500.  A 1oz slug weighs 437.5gns x 1200fps = 525 power factor.  And they group like a dream!  

Well, maybe "Have no Idea" is an overly strong description, they aren't puff loads.  
According to Hogdon load data, I am supposed to be running 1550fps with a 7/8 oz slug, which is around a 590 PF.  Even if my 20" bbl is shorter than their test barrel, I should have almost a 20% cushion.  
  I think a wad at 1550fps would probably F up a chrono, and I am not willing to bet $100+ to find out..  Do YOU want to let me shoot over your chrono?

On a separate question, DPMS rules state: "7.2.1 Any holster, which will safely retain the handgun during vigorous movement, is allowed."
I normally run a Safariland 6004, set up on a thigh rig.  I just shot that way down at COPS a couple weeks ago, and I was good to go.   I just want to make sure I don't drive 400 miles and end up scrambling around for a different holster at the last minute.

ETA I will be shooting a single stack 1911 not a beretta like in the pic..
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 5:46:23 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

.........On a separate question, DPMS rules state: "7.2.1 Any holster, which will safely retain the handgun during vigorous movement, is allowed."
I normally run a Safariland 6004, set up on a thigh rig.  I just shot that way down at COPS a couple weeks ago, and I was good to go.   I just want to make sure I don't drive 400 miles and end up scrambling around for a different holster at the last minute.
www.popguns.com/images/safariland/6004.bmp

ETA I will be shooting a single stack 1911 not a beretta like in the pic..

That will be fine, if last year was any indication of this year holsters were nothing more than a convenient way of carrying your pistol around.  For some reason drawing a loaded gun from a holster doesn't happen at cmmg.  Probably something to do with the lowest common denomonator, but to me its part of the game and should be there and those without the propper equipment should aquire it or not participate.  An uncle mikes holster is only 15 bucks and its more than enough.  

Polytech
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 8:15:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Sometimes the range insurance carriers have a lot to say about holstered/loaded weapons also.  Are we going to be required to unload and chamber clear all weapons prior to abandoning them also?  If so, just one more thing to practice.  

Either way, I can't wait to get started.  Four coming down from Minnesota, staying at the Silver Bell in Fayette.
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Last year it was on-safe in the designated boxes, then after you were finished shooting you cleared the weapon at the direction of the RO.  

I don't understand why an insurace carrier would allow machine gun rentals to any "joe" but not let people holster a pistol in a shooters box, pull it out without moving out of the box and engage targets, especially at a match that's on this level with a large entry fee and rules with equipment requirements.  I've been to many uspsa shoots at places on a smaller scale than cmmg who have found carriers that allow holstered hot weapons and even moving while shooting....I don't know, just one of my gripes about it I guess, I'd expect someone who drops a few hundred to shoot would be able to handle their weapons properly.  

Polytech
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top