Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2015 7:42:52 PM EDT
Hey all - my son Just got a job offer near Upland at a college. Hes working now at a really good gig but as a recent college graduate it's not in his chosen field. He wants to chase his dream. At least he'll get out of this God forsaken state (NY) but I dont know anything about Indiana. He will be taking a serious pay cut but I would expect the cost of living to be a lot less than here but what do I know

Any info on the area would be appreciated
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I live around 10 miles from Upland. Houses cost more near Muncie but there is a reason for it. What kind of person is he? Keeps to himself or likes clubs? Likes to dine out or cook?

May I ask what kind of work he does? Not much near upland... Does he want to live in a town or in the country?

I do not know the cost of living where you are but it is not so bad here. If you have any specific questions, ask. Feel from to PM if you like.

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm 5 miles north of upland.. not many jobs around here other than distribution centers... what line of work is he looking for?
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Cost of living is very low and upland is a very small/safe town.  I'm assuming he is going to work at Taylor... Great place... I know lots of people there.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#4]
If he shoots handguns there is a new range in Gas City, 10 minute drive. Haven't been there yet myself.
Rifle range just south of Ft. Wayne (can't remember the small town it's in) 30-45 minute drive. Again, never been there but I believe it goes out to 1000yds. There is also Walnut Creek golf course less than a 10 minute drive away, nice, affordable course that I have played quite a few times, if that is what he's into.
I have only been in NY once, for a Yankees game (beer=$12, hotdog=$8), however, I am quite sure our cost of living here is considerably cheaper.
If he's into the nightlife, so to speak, he's in for a big time culture shock.
Good luck to him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top