Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2004 1:22:09 PM EDT
...a breakfast report for us?
Link Posted: 3/24/2004 6:41:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I did have a chance to speak one-on-one with Sen. Lugar.  Since I wasn't in the room as an official representative of any firearms owners organization, I wasn't in a position to press him on the issue of his vote on the amendment to extend the AWB legislation.  However, in a roundabout way I tried to get his thoughts.  I cannot divulge the details of the conversation, but I did come away with the feeling that he is at a point in his political career where people like us mean very little to him.  He sees himself more as a statesman and less a voice of the people who elected him.  It's a natural progression, especially when he gets re-elected with over 60% of the vote.  The talk is he will, if Bush is re-elected, be named to replace Colin Powell as Sec. of State.  Then he no longer needs to fear any voter in Indiana.  Since he isn't up until 2006, he isn't worried about what Harry and Harriet Hoosier thinks about how he votes anymore.  I came away with  the impression that the so-called "sniper" attacks in the DC area got his attention.  I could tell that he considers the DC area his home, more so than Indianapolis.  Most of his children and grandchildren live in the DC area too.

He did tell us that John Kerry is one of the lightweights in the Senate and it surprises him that Kerry could be seriously considered for President when there are so many others far more capable than him.
Link Posted: 3/24/2004 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the update.  Good info

My Brother lives in Cheseapeake VA.  Another factor was the fact one of the victims was an FBI analyst, just like my sister-in-law.  It is the equivalent of the Speedway bomber.  I won't kick or run over bags in parking lots and I did not even live in Indy when it happened.

How could Lugar overlook Kerry?  It is not about being capable.  He is part of the Kennedy machine.  No one takes a crap in Mass. with Ted's approval.  Kerry would be Teddy's hand puppet.  It would be the Irish Mafia all over again.  I believe Kerry can not win without the right VP.  Hillary, and God help us if that happens.

I pray Bush gives Lugar a job.  Take him off our hands, PLEASE!  His replacement would have to kiss our asses to get re-elected in 2006.

So if Mitch Daniels loses in the Fall in race for Gov, I would assume he would be a potential Lugar replacement?  Total incest in politics these days.  No new blood.  I wonder how much longer the system will hold up to no longer being of the people for the people?  100 years?
Link Posted: 3/24/2004 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

So if Mitch Daniels loses in the Fall in race for Gov, I would assume he would be a potential Lugar replacement?

If Mitch Daniels loses, Dick Lugar probably won't be nominated for Secretary of State.  The balance in the Senate is so close the Republicans can't afford to lose a sure-thing seat.  Joe Kernan would appoint a Democrat to replace Lugar.  Assuming Daniels does win, then he will appoint a Republican to the Senate if Lugar moves on.  Funny how Lugar's political future depends on the Indiana Governor's race and that one of those candidates used to be Lugar's chief of staff.
Link Posted: 3/24/2004 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmmmm.....
Link Posted: 3/25/2004 3:56:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Double Hmmmmmm.......

Assuming I win he lottery, how much money do I have to give Daniels to get the Senate appointment?

So a no vote for Daniels is just like voting for  Bart Peterson for Senator.  It's all connected.  How convenient.  Although Bart has done OK here in Indy, we don't need more Dem's in the Senate!

So pretend Daniels wins.  Then which toadie does he appoint?  Seems like Marvin Scott is not an insider.
Link Posted: 3/25/2004 5:12:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Double Hmmmmmm.......

Assuming I win he lottery, how much money do I have to give Daniels to get the Senate appointment?

So a no vote for Daniels is just like voting for  Bart Peterson for Senator.  It's all connected.  How convenient.  Although Bart has done OK here in Indy, we don't need more Dem's in the Senate!

So pretend Daniels wins.  Then which toadie does he appoint?  Seems like Marvin Scott is not an insider.

Triple Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

I am not an insider, but check out this scenario:  Mitch Daniels will win the Republican nomination for Governor.  That means he defeats Eric Miller.  However, Eric Miller has a tremendous mailing list and capability to raise money.  He has a grass roots support network that most Indiana politicians dream about.  So far, Eric has not gone negative on Mitch Daniels.  Actually, Eric has behaved himself exceedingly well.  Of course the primary election doesn't come until May 4.

Now...let's say that Eric doesn't go negative on Mitch.  And then in the general election campaign Eric is very supportive of Mitch which we Republicans would expect.  Mitch wins because he got crucial help from Miller and his organization.  President Bush wins too and nominates Sen. Lugar to Sec. of State.  Mitch has to appoint a Senator who can win in 2006.  I say Mitch repays the favor to Miller and puts in a solid conservative who will vote more with gun owners than Lugar did.  Miller is also someone who can win a senatorial race in 2006.  In fact, he'd make a better senator than governor.

Moral of the story:  Get a better Indiana Senator for gun owners by voting to re-elect Bush and to elect Mitch Daniels.  Funny how that stuff works!
Link Posted: 3/26/2004 6:28:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quadruple HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

But man I am pissed at Bush too for even saying he would sign the AWB extension. It's a chess game, no simple moves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top