Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2009 4:34:03 PM EDT
Looking to get one for my wife.  Are these online?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking to get one for my wife.  Are these online?  Thanks.

Look under the MSP(Maryland State Police) website.

Good luck, i hope you have a reason to get one. They are pretty hard to get here.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 11:16:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Near impossible to get and I believe the money you send is not refunded if you get disaproved.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 2:15:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Near impossible to get and I believe the money you send is not refunded if you get disaproved.

That is true.  We tried a bill in the 2008 session that would have refunded the application fee if you were denied but it didn't go anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 7:35:49 AM EDT
[#4]
In Maryland? Good luck.

It's easier to get if you own a business or carry lots of cash for work. But merely wanting to defend your life isn't generally seen as as valid reason to arm yourself.

Link Posted: 8/28/2009 8:07:12 AM EDT
[#5]
You might find some valuable information from other permit-seekers at this link:

www.marylandshallissue.org
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In Maryland? Good luck.

It's easier to get if you own a business or carry lots of cash for work. But merely wanting to defend your life isn't generally seen as as valid reason to arm yourself.

And even is the above applies to you, it does not mean you can carry all the time. By their law you can only carry when performing those task.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 6:51:33 AM EDT
[#7]
My wife was told, since she has prescriptive privileges and a DEA number for prescribing narcotics she SHOULD apply, I fell out when I heard that!
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 2:58:17 PM EDT
[#8]
It's for my wife.  She is an attorney who works in downtown Baltimore.

Quoted:
In Maryland? Good luck.

Link Posted: 9/3/2009 5:43:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Maryland state police seem really stuck on the "proof of need" requirement. Proof = physical evidence like an answering machine recording that your wife has been threatened (WITH a polica report of the incident), proof that you carry in excess of $10K every month, proof that you carry dangerous prescription drugs, etc.  No proof? No permit.   They have STRICT definitions of what they consider "need" -  and simply putting "personal protection" on the permit WILL NOT WORK.  You could also put: "female, member of MD Bar, who works in the city."  No go, not gonna happen, she WILL be denied.  They don't give a damn what you think should qualify for a permit.  

Did you read the accounts of all the denials at the site I posted above? It is www.marylandshallissue.org (not going to hot link it again for you.  Go read it).

Now, if you are serious about this, then consider having her apply with above reasons, get denied, and then file an appeal / possible lawsuit.  That MIGHT work in her case, as the state might settle the suit by just giving her the permit - but that is up to the state & the courts.

Quoted:
It's for my wife.  She is an attorney who works in downtown Baltimore.

Quoted:
In Maryland? Good luck.

Link Posted: 9/3/2009 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#10]
This is why I refuse to ever live in MD again.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#11]
It sounds like as soon as one of the incorporation cases goes through you guys need to sue MSP into oblivion over this.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It sounds like as soon as one of the incorporation cases goes through you guys need to sue MSP into oblivion over this.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top