Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2004 9:43:20 PM EDT
First of all, let me get a little mini-rant out of my system.  Maryland's smart-gun/integrated safety device law is about the biggest pile of sh!t I have yet to come across.  It doesn't provide even the slightest improvement in gun "safety".  All it does is make handguns more expensive, less reliable and (probably the real goal of the law's authors) less available for Maryland residents to legally purchase.  It seems to me that this law is nothing but a thinly disguised gun ban.  hanks
I have been thinking about buying a pistol and/or revolver to keep my AR-15 company (when I eventually get one) and was considering the Glock 17 or 19 or the H&K 9mm USP as pistol choices along with the Ruger GP-100 (specifically the KGP-141) as a revolver choice.  Based on Maryland's list of approved integrated safety devices, I assumed Glock, H&K and Ruger all made handguns for sale in Maryland.

However, while my family was shopping for recreational gear today I took a walk across the parking lot to see what a nearby gun shop had for sale.   The dealer had a few Glocks, all of them apparently made prior to January 1, 2003.  He implied that they were new, unsold old stock.  

The first thing that caught my eye was prices that seemed way out of line.  He was asking $700 -$800 for 19s and over $1000 for a 32!   I'm a newbie to this, but I thought new Glocks sold in the $500 to $600 range.  I then asked him about Glock models made with integrated safety devices, and he said Glock only sells the model 22 with the integrated device so that if I wanted a new 19 I would have to buy it quick before the stock of pre-2003 models ran out.

Sensing that I wasn't going anywhere with the Glocks, I next asked about the Ruger revolver.  "Nope," he replied,  "Ruger isn't and won't be making any pistols with integrated safety devices for sale in Maryland."  At this point some wacko came in holding a wad of cash, wearing a dew-rag, slurring his speech and asking for a "gun license" (I think he meant the handgun safety traing course certificate - another waste of time and money) so he could purchase a pistol and take it home with him that afternoon.  hinking.gif Specifically, he wanted a Calico 9mm pistol with 100 round magazine.  "I don't care if it isn't full-auto.  Just point it and keep puling and pulling and nothing will survive it." hock.gif

That was enough for me.  I had had more than my fill of bad juju from this gun shop, so I politely thanked the dealer for his time and beat a hasty retreat, figuring I would do some more research on my own and also ask the good arfcommers of the Maryland forum what they know.

My own research turned up this quotation on a page at Ruger's web site:

The State of Maryland has mandated that all pistols and revolvers manufactured on or after January 1, 2003 must have an “integrated mechanical safety device” to be legally available for sale in Maryland. As a result, beginning sometime some time in 2003, newly manufactured Ruger pistols and double action revolvers will be equipped with internal locks.

Am I a wildly misinformed newbie, or was this dealer blowing smoke up the ass of me and everyone within a five-mile radius of me (including the wacked-out newest member of the Future Murderers of America club)?
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Springfield, Glock, Taurus, HK and S&W make models with locks.
Other guns, IIRC, can be fitted with a lock to make them legal for sale.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm pretty sure CZ makes them, don't they?

Not all model Glocks yet.

Link Posted: 5/2/2004 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Just about all the Glocks can have them from the factory.  There is also a model that can be installed in ANY Glock by a gunsmith.  That should only raise the price by $50-$100.

Same with 1911s  There are models that come with them - the rest can be retrofitted.

Most (if not all) Taures's have a locking system.

There is also a locking system available for retrofitting S&W revolvers.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Could you please IM or post the name of this shop. I dont want to ever watse my time going there if he has his prices jacked up like that!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:05:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Glocks have internal locks, but per 1 dealer I talked to only some of them roll off the line with the lock, thus they are harder to get & more expensive.  Galyan's (Rockville) sells Glocks & some other handguns.  Glocks were $500 and up before the ban, around $700 now.

Springfield pistols have locks & are available now.

Do what I did- but used out of state, pay some $ for an xfer fee (and save sales tax), as long as it is pre '03 you are set.  Used Glocks $400-$500.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:24:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Everyone covered the majority of the manufacturers.
Here is some more information for everyone:

All manufacturers except Colt stated at the shot show that they will have integrated locks by years end.

The manager of the shop I work at just informed us that Maryland is looking to accept the Glock mag lock and another one that goes in the barrel as acceptable internal locks. More info to come when published.

As for the prices on Glocks: we sell used glocks for $500-575 range.
New pre 03 are (no-lock) $600-650, (lock) $700-750. Yes Glock increased the price for the internal lock and are only making certain caliber and sizes with locks.

The lock we can install that meets state requirements is the one you have to drill a hole in the trigger guard and install to block the trigger's rearward movement. Yes it looks shitty.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Everyone covered the majority of the manufacturers.
Here is some more information for everyone:

All manufacturers except Colt stated at the shot show that they will have integrated locks by years end.

The manager of the shop I work at just informed us that Maryland is looking to accept the Glock mag lock and another one that goes in the barrel as acceptable internal locks. More info to come when published.

New pre 03 are (no-lock) $600-650, (lock) $700-750. Yes Glock increased the price for the internal lock and are only making certain caliber and sizes with locks.

The lock we can install that meets state requirements is the one you have to drill a hole in the trigger guard and install to block the trigger's rearward movement. Yes it looks shitty.

Will that include Beretta? Been waiting to buy a 9000S...
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Beretta has internal locks designed, but not in production yet.
The one lock they are talking about accepting actually works in any gun.
You put part of it on the chamber and the other part goes down the barrel and locks into the chamber part. We will have to see.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow!  hock.gif Lots of great information here! Of course, I didn't expect any less from the fine Maryland Arfcommers. hanks

Originally Posted By Forest:
Just about all the Glocks can have them from the factory.  There is also a model that can be installed in ANY Glock by a gunsmith.  That should only raise the price by $50-$100.

Are you speaking of the Ghost, Inc.  Ghost Block (here and here)?  Strangely, I can't find any information about it on what I believe to be the manufacturer's web site:

www.ghostblock.com/

Originally Posted By M4_Aiming_at_U:
Could you please IM or post the name of this shop. I dont want to ever watse my time going there if he has his prices jacked up like that!

I won't post the name publicly because I don't want to unfairly malign a reputable dealer if the problem here is my own ignorance.  From reading some of these replies, it looks like $700 might not be too out of line for a 19, and maybe there was something special about the 32 to warrant a $1000 price tag.  It didn't look like anything special to me, but then again I am a novice in this field...  I'll send you an IM after I post this.

Originally Posted By vote_republican:
Glocks have internal locks, but per 1 dealer I talked to only some of them roll off the line with the lock, thus they are harder to get & more expensive.  Galyan's (Rockville) sells Glocks & some other handguns.  Glocks were $500 and up before the ban, around $700 now.

I guess the gun-confiscators accomplished part of their goal... h=85%

Originally Posted By vote_republican:
Do what I did- but used out of state, pay some $ for an xfer fee (and save sales tax), as long as it is pre '03 you are set.  Used Glocks $400-$500.

I have thought about buying used.  It seems in general like a good idea for getting introduced to larger caliber guns for a lower price.  (I've only shot .22 LR to this point)  But being a novice to this, I'm not confident of my ability to discriminate between good and bad used guns so I was leaning back towards buying new.  Maybe I will have to get 9supercomp to set me up.  He's a good guy.

Originally Posted By 9supercomp:
New pre 03 are (no-lock) $600-650, (lock) $700-750.

See above. h=85%
Originally Posted By 9supercomp:
Yes Glock increased the price for the internal lock and are only making certain caliber and sizes with locks.

Also see above. h=85%
Originally Posted By 9supercomp:The lock we can install that meets state requirements is the one you have to drill a hole in the trigger guard and install to block the trigger's rearward movement. Yes it looks shitty.

Sounds like the old Saf-T-Trigger.  Do  they still make those independently?  It seems like all the Saf-T-Hammer stuff disappeared into some black hole after S&W bought them.

How big a hole, I wonder, and does it affect anything else?  The way I read the the stupid gun/integrated safety device law, it seems that it is similar to the large-capacity magazine law:  transfers are prohibited, but nothing stops you from possessing a new gun without the integrated lock.  My father has a small machine shop.  Between the drill presses, lathes, surface grinders, and horizontal and vertical milling machines we ought to be able to make short work of that "integrated" device. hat
I'll have more follow-up questions later after I have more time to digest all these posts.  Keep 'em coming! h,>

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I won't post the name publicly because I don't want to unfairly malign a reputable dealer if the problem here is my own ignorance.

I understand what your saying. But I believe in holding dealers accountable for their treatment and actions. I like to think of it as a BBB for gun owners/buyers.

I keep an updated list of FFL's and how they are rated here:www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=29&t=169151

Feel free to send me any thoughts or experiences with any of the dealers that are listed in that thread.  

Thanks for the IM by the way.

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#11]

I understand what your saying. But I believe in holding dealers accountable for their treatment and actions.

I agree.  I don't  have any problem with calling a spade a spade and believe we should stick together as consumers by condemning the unworthy businesses and praising the worthy.  I've publicly named names in other forums where I am surer of my knowledge, so it isn't something I'm against in general.  But at the same time we don't want to cannibalize ourselves with infighting.  And I have to be extra careful to avoid spouting off drivel and smearing the names of good guys.  I realize that I am a newbie here and don't know it all or even very much.

Thanks for the IM by the way.
hr

You are welcome.  And thank you for managing the MD/DE/DC hometown forum!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:04:27 AM EDT
[#12]
If you are looking for used Glocks, I have had good luck with the guns for sale forum at glocktalk.com (good place to learn about Glocks, too).
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's a Glock 32 that went for $410 on gunbroker:
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=17390740

Glock 19 for sale at $350 on glocktalk:
http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=243899

Glock 20 with 2 high caps for $525:
http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=244012

You get the idea...
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=17390740

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=243899

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=244012

You get the idea...  

Jeeeeeez!
Do I have to do everything around here!?

www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=17390740

glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=243899

glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=244012
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Ric that is the only reason we let you lurk here!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

And enforcing laws. Make sure all you guys aren't breaking any gun laws!
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And enforcing laws. Make sure all you guys aren't breaking any gun laws!

Who us?!?!?  Why we're "Legal Eagles"!!!  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the links to glocktalk.com, vote_republican.  That looks like a good forum for lurking to learn more about Glocks.

And thanks to you, M4_Aiming_at_U, for hot-linking them.  Any other services our friendly neighborhood MD/DE/DC moderator performs?  I hear you deliver photocopies...  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

If you are looking for used Glocks, I have had good luck with the guns for sale forum at glocktalk.com (good place to learn about Glocks, too).

Well, I gave it a try on one Glock 19 being sold by a private individual, but it didn't work out for me this time.  The seller only begrudingly answered questions (e.g. I had to ask three times exactly what he was including with the pistol before he answered, and even that answer was incomplete), he wouldn't come down even $5 off his asking price, and when I emailed him a sales agreement that I proposed he and I sign and exchange by fax prior to me mailing him my money order, he told me to stop wasting his time.  He said that he had sold hundreds of guns without ever using a sales contract. and that if I wanted the gun I should just send him the money order.

I didn't think the agreement was at all out of line, and in fact I think it actually favored him in the form I wrote it up (I didn't think to ask for a three-day inspection period, which I will if I ever do this again).  All I included were our names and addresses, what we were buying/selling, how much money was being exchanged and how we would transfer it (as per his stated desires).   I even told him he could make changes if he saw something he didn't like.  But he didn't want to have anything to do with it, and I wasn't comfortable buying a gun sight-unseen from a stranger via private sale over the Internet without any signed agreement, so that ended that.

I figure one of two things happened here.  One possibility is that the gun really wasn't NIB as he claimed, and he didn't want his signature attached to a piece of paper stating, in writing, that it was.  The other is that I really was asking for more than the average buyer demands in terms of "paperwork" and he can easily sell the gun to someone who will just mail him a money order, no questions asked.   I do wonder about the second possibility, though, because at the time he told me I was wasting his time all he had to do was fax me a signed copy of the agreement and I would have put the money order in the mail - transaction complete.  It probably took him almost as much time to tell me to shove off as it would have to print the agreement, sign it, and fax it back to me.

Oh well, no harm done in the end.  Perhaps it even worked out for the best, because now that the news about Visual Lock is out there will hopefully soon be a much larger selection of pistols for purchase in Maryland.  I think I will take advantage of the new developments, keep my powder dry a little longer,  do more research and see if there is something else I might want more than a Glock.

In the meantime, I was considering the purchase of a Walther P22 as my first semi-auto pistol.  I was thinking it might make a good bridge between single-shot .22 LR pistols that I have shot and larger caliber semi-auto pistols that I have not shot.  Anyone have any thoughts about this?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I spoke to one of the guys at A & D Pawn a few days ago when I was looking for a price and availability on Colt 1911's .

The gun laws have definitely jacked prices up here in Mary-land! I did find out though that Colt 1911's can be fitted with the locking system from Springfield for $50.00 over the cost of the pistol.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The gun laws have definitely jacked prices up here in Mary-land!

Yeah, mission accomplished for the anti-gun people.   "The children" aren't any safer, but it is now that much harder for a law-abiding citizen to purchase a gun.
Link Posted: 5/17/2004 6:17:04 AM EDT
[#22]
zrxc77- sorry you had a bad experience off the glocktalk ad.  I have bought several guns over the internet & not had any problems (so far).  Just bought a springfield .45 from GT recently & it went great.
Archived [ARCHIVED THREAD] - Integrated mechanical safety devices - who sells pistols with them?
Page Hometown » Maryland
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top