Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2016 11:36:44 PM EDT
i just started working in frederick recently and for SHTF/Get the hell home purposes i am wondering if its legal to have a pistol in my car if i keep it in pieces.  I carry a 92fs in WV and it breaks down fairly well.  I would keep some mags locked up.  

Is this legal?

I don't care if i even need to buy some sort of small safe or something.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#1]
IANAL but I don't think it needs to be in pieces.  Mags can be loaded but must be in a separate compartment as the pistol (note that separate compartment may be in the same gun case).  I drive my Glock to the range in Frederick in a case fully assembled.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#2]
http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmStatutesText.aspx?article=gcr§ion=4-203&ext=html&session=2015RS

basically No, you cannot do this

you may transport the firearm to and from a range.
but leaving it in your car for a 'just in case' scenario is a nono
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I got off the phone with Hagerstown state police and to confirm I called fredericks as well.

They said Gun in the trunk mags in the glove box and ammo in the back will be fine.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#4]
state police have been known to be wrong

read this thread

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_29/284452_MD_Transporting_Laws__banned__Assault_Pistols___now_w_SB281_FAQ_pg3.html

it has the law, and it states very stringent requirements for transporting

your description doesnt seem to fit any of them

but hey, IANAL
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmStatutesText.aspx?article=gcr§ion=4-203&ext=html&session=2015RS

basically No, you cannot do this

you may transport the firearm to and from a range.
but leaving it in your car for a 'just in case' scenario is a nono
View Quote

Not true, he's transporting from appropriate use in home state, to Maryland, then back to home state.  The only to a range thing only makes sense for Maryland residents who start and end their trip in Maryland.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got off the phone with Hagerstown state police and to confirm I called fredericks as well.

They said Gun in the trunk mags in the glove box and ammo in the back will be fine.
View Quote

I wouldnt keep anything in glove box if thats where your registration is.  Just in case you get pulled over.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#7]
you are really not suppose to stop  for food or even gas with a gun in the car.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#8]
maybe i should contact a district attorney and get it in writing?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#9]
you would need it in writing from the Attorney general office

good luck with that
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I would not do it.  Better to keep a MD-legal long gun in your trunk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top