Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2016 10:27:44 PM EDT
We've only lived out here for about 4 months now so wondering if anybody near the lexington area has land they would be willing to let my wife and I shoot at? I'm willing to sign a contract/waiver and pay. We both just really hate indoor ranges and the outdoor ranges we've found so far have had aggressive RO's and we're a little too far out.

I understand it's a bold request. any advice on an outdoor range that isn't ridiculously far away or really on the Fudd side of things I'd appreciate it.

Hopefully next year we'll have our own land. Saw some acreage out by Richmond for a decent price so it might have to happen soon.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Sugar Creek Range in Lancaster. I've been a member for most of a year and it's like shooting in your buddy's back yard (if he had a 250yd rifle range with covered benches and a 25yd pistol range with covered lanes). They're open to the public on weekends.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
We've only lived out here for about 4 months now so wondering if anybody near the lexington area has land they would be willing to let my wife and I shoot at? I'm willing to sign a contract/waiver and pay. We both just really hate indoor ranges and the outdoor ranges we've found so far have had aggressive RO's and we're a little too far out.

I understand it's a bold request. any advice on an outdoor range that isn't ridiculously far away or really on the Fudd side of things I'd appreciate it.

Hopefully next year we'll have our own land. Saw some acreage out by Richmond for a decent price so it might have to happen soon.
View Quote

The Anderson County Sportsmans Club opens up membership at the end of the year. They have rifle range out to 300 yards and pretty nice facilities for the area.  Membership is limited so its best to show up at the December general meeting and sign up in case of open spots. It requires two members to jump you in (er endorse you) but most of the guys there will look at you and sign if needed.  Especially good to have concealed carry for ID as well.  You have to be NRA member (for their insurance) and cost is like 85 or something like that a year.  You get a key to the gate and can go most anytime. I have never ever been crowded except when they host an open event to the public.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#3]
So I assume you have been to BGSL in Wilmore? I am inclined to think that is where you experienced "aggressive RO's"?
If so, shoot me a PM and describe what you considered to aggressive. I sincerely want to know.
If not, you should check it out (www.bgslinc.com) since it is about 35 minutes from Lex and has the best facilities anywhere close to Lex.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#4]
200 yd public range at Cave Run lake in Morehead about 1 hour east of Lex.  $6 parking fee.
I used to be a BGSL member a couple years ago.  They do have the best facilities hands down, but it sounds like things may not have changed much.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Sugar Creek is the best outdoor range. He's adding new stuff every week.

It's uncomfortable to shoot at BGSL. The RO's are overbearing.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Threads like this remind me how lucky I am. My shooting range covers over 100 acres.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:44:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Anderson County Sportsmans Club opens up membership at the end of the year. They have rifle range out to 300 yards and pretty nice facilities for the area.  Membership is limited so its best to show up at the December general meeting and sign up in case of open spots. It requires two members to jump you in (er endorse you) but most of the guys there will look at you and sign if needed.  Especially good to have concealed carry for ID as well.  You have to be NRA member (for their insurance) and cost is like 85 or something like that a year.  You get a key to the gate and can go most anytime. I have never ever been crowded except when they host an open event to the public.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This seems like a good option. I saw the info page but was worried about the being referred part.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:50:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So I assume you have been to BGSL in Wilmore? I am inclined to think that is where you experienced "aggressive RO's"?
If so, shoot me a PM and describe what you considered to aggressive. I sincerely want to know.
If not, you should check it out (www.bgslinc.com) since it is about 35 minutes from Lex and has the best facilities anywhere close to Lex.
View Quote

To be honest I didn't even make it over there. I made a call to inquire and was told that I would need to take qualification exams to shoot on the rifle range, and when I asked about my SBRs and my suppressors the guy on the phone told me I could bring them, but he wasn't sure why I felt like I needed to. It may be a beautiful range, but I'm not looking to pay to join a range where I may be treated poorly for EBRs or NFA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top