Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2009 6:31:39 AM EDT
Looking forward to seeing everyone there!
MAP

In Celebration of July 4 and our rights as Americans,
New Bethel Church will be hosting an OPEN CARRY CELEBRATION for all who support 1st and 2nd Amendment rights. It will be held on
Saturday June 27th, the weekend before July 4th at 5PM.
PICNIC FOOD SERVED! $1 Raffle to win a handgun (courtesy of Bluegrass Indoor Range).
Area gun store/firing range owners will be invited to attend and
tell about their services. There will be patriotic music and short
presentation concerning responsible gun ownership and 2nd Amendment
rights.
We are asking responsible handgun
owners to attend this service openly wearing their sidearm. This will
be a Cold Range Carry meaning handguns must be unloaded and in a secure
holster.

All that is asked
is that you bring a sidearm, a friend who has a sidearm and a canned
good for local food bank.

For Info call: New Bethel Church 502-935-3257 Ask for Jake Starr.

REPLY BELOW IF YOU PLAN TO ATTEND!

Link Posted: 6/3/2009 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm really starting to not like that woman.  I've only started to recently listen to her show while bored at work.  I only started to tune because I've heard my parents talk about her show.  Quickly I've had to wonder why the hell they listen, especially my father considering he was the first of us to get a CCDW and encouraged us to get ours.  I heard her a week or two ago complain about carrying in state parks.  I really don't know where she stands on the firearms issue but I'm starting to think she isn't friendly to them.  I want to attend this just knowing it would piss her off.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Um...unloaded?

Kinda contrary to the message, isn't it? Like, "bring your Bibles but tear all the pages out, first."
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 9:54:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Um...unloaded?

Kinda contrary to the message, isn't it? Like, "bring your Bibles but tear all the pages out, first."

Yeah I saw that too. Does that mean magazine in but no round chambered or no magazine, no rounds PERIOD? Under KY law, what constitutes "unloaded"?
From what I understand , the Pastor is a retired Marine, a volunteer Chaplain for the LMPD and a gun rights activist himself. I'm sure he understands all the issues associated with OC and CCW and is not doing this to be anal about perceived "safety risks". It's probably due to the church's insurance. There is a post about this on OpenCarry.org and the "all or nothing" guys are saying they'll skip this. That attitude only serves to split our ranks.
Sometimes gunowners are our own worst enemies. The church doesn't have to do this at all. I say we embrace it, use it to positively promote our rights (as the Pastor is CLEARLY trying to do) and go enjoy ourselves.
Hell, I've already put the sling on the Mosin, I just might strap it across my back and bring it!

Link Posted: 6/3/2009 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Agreed it is a baby step in the right direction. Didn't mean to come off like it's bad for gun rights. Just kinda...half-good.

'course I guess nothing says we can't have a loaded gun concealed, too.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm definitely going. I never turn down free food and I'll be putting some $$$ down for that handgun raffle!

Link Posted: 6/3/2009 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Any USPSA/IPSC event I have ever attended has been a "cold range" as the ad refers to.  "Cold range" generally refers to gun in the holster with no round in the chamber and no magazine in the firearm.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh boy. I have the right to carry an unloaded gun.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Oh boy. I have the right to carry an unloaded gun.

You also have the right to not participate in the event.  But that's cool.  Someone's trying to speak out for the Second Amendment and you all want to crap all over it.  

Knob Creek operates a cold range.
The hometown forum shoot this past weekend was cold.
Bluegrass Indoor Range is a cold range.
Open Range is a cold range.
All IPSC, IDPA, etc, matches are a cold range.
Every range I've ever heard about or been to has been cold.

I don't see what the big deal is here.  The church is hosting this event and for both safety and insurance reasons, they are asking responsible gun owners to join them and operate in a cold range environment.  This isn't the government telling you what you can and can't do.  It's private property and the owners/managers of that property have the right to ask you to operate cold that day.  

That said, if you want to conceal, with a valid permit and be hot, I don't think they'll try to stop you.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Now those are valid points. Military ranges operate cold as well unless you're up on the firing line getting ready to shoot. And gun shows as well. Nobody complains about that either.
For years gun owners bitched about society's negative perceptions and stereotypes of them. Whined that the truth of the 2nd Amendment was being distorted and hidden. Complained because they felt they were alone in an ever increasing Leftist nation. Well guess what, finally there's a big event where it's going to be nothing but gun owners to promote and CELEBRATE the damn 2nd Amendment (and the 1st for that matter) and they're still bitching!

You know what, you don't want to go? fine...don't go. Me? Now that I've got skin in the game I'm doubling down on my 2A activism and you bet I'm going. I've been wanting to form a RKBA  group down in the southern part of the county and I'm using this opportunity to network, strategize and motivate. I want to win that handgun too!

And yes I'll be OCing...that Mosin strapped across my back with the bolt zip tied open just like the church wants and I'm not bitching about it one bit!

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 6:23:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I saw this story on chanel 3 news last night.  I think we should support it and quit bitching about their rules.  They are trying to do the right thing and promote gun ownership in a positive light.

Sometimes gun owners can be their own worst enemy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 8:47:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sometimes gun owners can be their own worst enemy.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I usually stay out of politics, I am not fond of the smell of $!@#, listening to liars, or having to worry about something being stuck in my back.

That being the case, I do have to say that I think that this is pretty freaking ridiculous!

Why is everyone required to show up with an unloaded gun, because of "safety issues"?

What does everyone think that really says about carrying concealed? How about it is not something that can be done safely!

I am willing to bet the press will be all over this one, "Gun Owners are Required to Carry Empty to Insure the Safety of the General Public".

If you can't attend a "2nd Ammed / Gun Rights" promotional event with a loaded firearm, what's the freaking point!

There is a reason you carry cold at places like a range and gun store, it is because you will be actively handling / using your firearm with others in close proximity, so that increases the chances of something possibly happening.

If you are sitting in Church and having a hamburger afterwards, none of which require you to touch your firearm, and a gun goes off accidentally, then Houston we have a problem.  

Did they require everyone who carried concealed for the recent Tea Party events to do so cold? No, and that was not even a "2nd Ammed / Gun Rights" event.

Yes, this is an event that can bring attention to "2nd Ammed / Gun Rights", but IMHO I will bet there is going to be a lot more press that will hurt than help.

To each their own, best of luck,
Capt Richardson
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What does everyone think that really says about carrying concealed? How about it is not something that can be done safely!

Did they require everyone who carried concealed for the recent Tea Party events to do so cold?
Capt Richardson

Your reading comprehension is weak, my friend.  At no time did the article say anything about concealed carry.  This is an OPEN CARRY event.  If you have a valid CCDW permit, feel free to carry CONCEALED.  However, the pastor is asking people to OPEN CARRY.

If you do not wish to abide by the rules set forth by the people that own the property, you do not have to go.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#15]
will make if i can
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah I guess I didn't say it before I do plan to attend––especially now that I've learned one of my customers is an "elder" at this church (strange title, he's a very young man!)
Quoted:

And yes I'll be OCing...that Mosin strapped across my back with the bolt zip tied open just like the church wants and I'm not bitching about it one bit!

Did you call them to ask about OCing the rifle or is that in the printed info somewhere?

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 4:55:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Well it just made the front page at Yahoo.com...........

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090604/ap_on_re_us/us_guns_in_church
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Pastor Pagano was not looking for this kind of attention when he put this together.  However, he's not shying away from it and is presenting a very good face to our cause.  Those of you that are supporting him, thank you.

As an FYI, he will be on the Sunday morning FOX News show, this Sunday around 7:45am.  Not the local affiliate, the national FOXNews.

Jeff
Active Ears - Custom Hearing Protection
Bluegrass Indoor Range
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I should be there, this could be interesting with all the coverage it's getting.

Prep
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I was excited until I saw the "Cold Range" restriction.  

It sends a very conflicting message IMO:  

We celebrate the freedom of law-abiding citizens to carry guns - as long as they are rendered useless.

We think that people should have the right to defend themselves - but only symbolically.

This sends the false message that even "pro-gun" people don't REALLY trust people to carry deadly weapons.

An unloaded gun is just a chunk of metal.

I will be worshiping in my home church this Sunday with a LOADED handgun.

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 6:27:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Are churches "prohibited places" under KY law?  I checked OCDO first, but couldn't immediately tell.

Might there be any difference in prohibited places for OC versus CC?
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#22]
As long as you don't go into a licsened child care facility or school they church might have, it is perfectly legal.  From the KY Sheriffs own website these are the places that get you into trouble:

*  Police station or sheriff's office.
   * Detention facility, prison or jail.
   * Courthouse (Court of Justice, courtroom or court proceeding).
   * County, municipal, or special district governing body meetings.
   * Meeting of governing body of a county, municipality, or special district.
   * General Assembly session, including committee meetings.
   * Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose.
   * Elementary or secondary school facilities (without the consent of school authorities).
   * Child-caring facilities, day care centers, or any certified family child care home.
   * Areas within an airport where restricted access is controlled by the inspection of persons or property.
   * Any place where federal law prohibits the carrying of a firearm.

Prep
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well it just made the front page at Yahoo.com...........

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090604/ap_on_re_us/us_guns_in_church

Wow we are all over the place on opinions on this one. Im sure his intentions are good but I think I'll pass on this one.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Was just listening to an interview this pastor gave on CNN.  From the interview it appears he doesn't mind loaded CCW.  Just a FYI.  >Click me<  It's in the last 30 seconds.

Prep
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Great link, thanks Prep.
I love the graphic behind the CNN anchor: What The...?

Holy crap, she actually said "guns can be the root of all evil" at 2:54
The Pastor seems like a cool guy and I'm looking forward to this event. And yes he definitely did say you can ccw "hot."

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Personally I think this is going to be great! There will be a good number of people there and I intend to network as much as possible with other gun owners.
Click the "Search" button above and type in "church". There's 6 threads about this all over ARFCOM!

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the link.  I was standing right next to him during this conversation this morning.  If you listen closely, you can hear a bit of commotion in the background.  That's because he was doing this interview at Bluegrass Indoor Range, where he works with me a few hours a week.  I believe that he was under the impression that he was simply talking to her and not that the whole conversation was being recorded as an interview.  But despite that, he did a good job.  

As I've stated before, OC at this event cold.  If you want to CC hot, feel free.  But please don't condemn a fellow gun owner for trying to promote our cause.

Jeff
Active Ears - Custom Hearing Protection
Bluegrass Indoor Range - Louisville, KY
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#28]
First,
I don't fault the guy for trying to support "Gun Rights", not everyone obviously has what it takes to step up and do something that can turn out to be a real hot potato. Hats off for trying.

Second,
Anyone who is going to step up into the limelight with a very volatile issue like this, IMHO had better not do it without a lot of thought and counsel. While there may be nothing but good intentions, if you do not "dot the I's, and cross the T's" you may be giving the media and politicians some excellent ammo to work with.

Finally,
If they are encouraging "Cold Open Carry" for those who do not have CC Credentials, then that would probably make sense. However that was not the message that was put out in all of the coverage that I saw. The message I saw was, all weapons should be carried cold, there was no delineation between Open / Concealed or Cold / Hot.

The media and politicians will obviously do what they want, good or bad, and no matter what your intentions are you may get screwed over in the long run regardless. Big problem is you are not just representing yourself, you can ultimately be representing the Firearms Community as a whole.

If you play with fire you may get burned, unfortunately you may not be the only one getting burned!

Best of Luck,
Capt Richardson
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#29]
New updated information from NEW BETHEL'S WEBSITE with a reasoned article about why they're doing this.

Includes a more thorough explanation for the OPEN CARRY procedures.

Also note: CCDW WILL BE PERMITTED!

Link Posted: 6/20/2009 9:40:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Bump 'cause it's a week from today.
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks Joe. I just logged on to bump this and I'm glad to see someone beat me to it.

Link Posted: 6/24/2009 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Another shameless BUMP! Three days to go.

Link Posted: 6/24/2009 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#33]
so is open rifle carry ok ? love to carry the AR on my back.
Link Posted: 6/24/2009 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

so is open rifle carry ok ? love to carry the AR on my back.

I've been wondering this as well. Did you talk to them about your Nagant, Cottonbaler?

Oh, and hi newguy!
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Hey, it's tomorrow!
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#36]
I'll be there, I could use a new pistol

Prep
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Prep, I'm still coming. And I appreciate the arrangement. Will call you tomorrow.

Link Posted: 6/27/2009 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'll be there, I could use a new pistol

Prep

I just Saw Prep on FOX 41!!!!!

eta at the gun check area––they shot u from across the street....
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Sweet, I'll watch the 11:00 news on channel 3 (I saw their van there for sure).

Link Posted: 6/27/2009 6:38:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Sweet, I'll watch the 11:00 news on channel 3 (I saw their van there for sure).

your knee....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/27/AR2009062701946.html?hpid=sec-religion
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#42]
WHAS FAIL!!!!!! negative coverage-following New Bethel was-"Leo shot in Nashville, TN"-
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Woot!!! I was on TV and it wasn't COPS or Americas Most Wanted.

Prep
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Hmmm, LEX18 our of Lexington had a brief mention of it and only showed pics of the church.  All they said was the pastor got the idea after members were concerned about Obama.  Apparently Wacko Jackson was more important.
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

WHAS FAIL!!!!!! negative coverage-following New Bethel was-"Leo shot in Nashville, TN"-

Yeah, that was awful.

But then the chick on WAVE3 called some dude's pistol a "zig zar."

Link Posted: 6/27/2009 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that was awful.

But then the chick on WAVE3 called some dude's pistol a "zig zar."

missed it––but i'm sure she said it with authority and confidence
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top