Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2017 3:14:46 PM EDT

Linky to story
Honest to God as one of the original seeders for the first "Climategate" document dump and having read who knows how many articles breaking down and analyzing the contents thereof I am just sick to my stomach every time I hear some pompous ignorant self righteous  twatwaffle shriek about "Global Warming" or now of course "Climate Change".

And our fellow Constitution Staters wonder why Connecticut is tanking.

Even the German auto industry agrees pulling out of the Paris accord was a good move for the USA as it had such an effect on productivity and competitiveness for manufacturing in general.
[url=http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/06/germanys_car_industry_association_officially_confirms_the_truth_of_president_trumps_reasons_for_withdrawal_from_paris_climate_accord.html]From a post in GD

Fuck Dannel P. Malloy and the my little pony he rode in on, or in, or whatever.......[/url]
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp38/Bludgeonmonkey/CBGG1_zpsiu8gjajv.jpg

Linky to story
Honest to God as one of the original seeders for the first "Climategate" document dump and having read who knows how many articles breaking down and analyzing the contents thereof I am just sick to my stomach every time I hear some pompous ignorant self righteous  twatwaffle shriek about "Global Warming" or now of course "Climate Change".

And our fellow Constitution Staters wonder why Connecticut is tanking.

Even the German auto industry agrees pulling out of the Paris accord was a good move for the USA as it had such an effect on productivity and competitiveness for manufacturing in general.
[url=http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/06/germanys_car_industry_association_officially_confirms_the_truth_of_president_trumps_reasons_for_withdrawal_from_paris_climate_accord.html]From a post in GD

Fuck Dannel P. Malloy and the my little pony he rode in on, or in, or whatever.......[/url]
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:43:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Absolutely!
CTs greenhouse emissions are on the rise and the Comprehensive Energy Strategy was an utter failure.
And didnt CT just start a legal suit against the EPA? Sounds just like the perfect people to be at the forefront of a global crisis.

CT cant balance a budget or manage funds, wtf do we have to offer this deal?

Forget giving countries that pollute funding. We should impose an export duty, depending upon their emission's rating.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:07:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think anyone wants to go back to the policies of 100 years ago. Which were nothing.

Listen to a liberal or some douche bag tree hugger and you would think we want to dump raw sewage in the rivers and burn tires for heat.

The Paris agreement was too lopsided and a bad deal. Environmental regulations need to be balanced, fair and affordable.

People in their Priuses think they are saving the planet. They are such morons. Look up how lithium is mined. That alone will make you not want a battery powered car. Combine that with all the other non-green manufacturing going into making the "official car of assholes".

Electric cars are cool because you can "fill them up" cheap compared to gasoline or even diesel. Sooner or later the government will come up with a tax to make driving an electric car cost as much per mile to operate as fossil fuel. Right now electric vehicles don't pay their fair share of road tax.

Green energy is a pipe dream but does have it's place.

Solar panels on your house might make sense if you have the correct size roof, exposure and buy the system outright. The Solar City model is a scam because you are buying power via a contract. Wait a few years and see what your price per kilowatt jumps to.

Solar panels in commercial settings are good if the location makes sense. In my town they deforested a few acres of pristine woods to install a solar array that will reduce the grid use of a school. So we lose hundreds of CO2 eating trees and lose natural habitat for wildlife so we can reduce use of electricity. In this case it was purely a financial deal for the town. Filling useless desert with solar panels is smart. Cutting down forests is stupid.

Solar on your house will in most cases lower the resale value, because you are most likely in a lease. If you own the array then maybe it will help sell it, maybe not. Kind of like a swimming pool. Some see it as a feature others as a burden. It adds a tremendous cost to a roof replacement. So that will need to be factored into the savings.

Wind is popular and in some cases it makes sense. To install windmills everywhere is ugly, they make noise and they do kill birds.

Coal, natural gas and oil emissions can be cleaned up with filters etc. Nuclear power is very clean.

Someday maybe the Tesla solar roof tiles will be a good compromise between functional and visually pleasing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Someday maybe the Tesla solar roof tiles will be a good compromise between functional and visually pleasing.
View Quote
I agree with your post, but had to laugh at this.
I checked out the cost of this system, for my home and it came to $70k
I could install a ground or roof based system and have it paid off in 8yrs, just from the "service charge" my utility is hitting me with. Factor in my actual electricity usage and my ROI is even less.

I love telling Prius and electric car owners what it takes to make their vehicle. Couple this with factoring in how their area produces electricity (possibly from coal, oil, or gas) and they start to twich. Then the BS excuses start vomiting out.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I agree with your post, but had to laugh at this.
I checked out the cost of this system, for my home and it came to $70k
I could install a ground or roof based system and have it paid off in 8yrs, just from the "service charge" my utility is hitting me with. Factor in my actual electricity usage and my ROI is even less.

I love telling Prius and electric car owners what it takes to make their vehicle. Couple this with factoring in how their area produces electricity (possibly from coal, oil, or gas) and they start to twich. Then the BS excuses start vomiting out.
View Quote
My electric bill is $120/mo. in the winter and if A/C is running 24/7 in the summer it is $200/mo. I spent $1800 in electricity last year. I have Eversource as my provider.

A solar system with no storage is roughly $12,000 the last time I priced it. There may be some tax breaks involved. If I generate enough electricity that I do not have to buy any from the grid the payoff would be 7 years.

Obviously I would need to buy from the grid at night. In the summer we have 12 or so hours of sunlight. So just doing simple math my payoff goes to 14 years. Now factor in winter daylight hours, cloudy days, snow, rain and other poor conditions the payoff goes out even longer.

All these simple calculations do not take into consideration the added cost for roof replacement down the road, maintenance and repairs of the system. Combine this with the 50/50 chance someone buying your house actually wants a solar system.

The above assumes you purchase it. Yes there are some tax breaks available so maybe that will help with the number but still Solar is not worth it on a retail level.

Just for a goof I strung the Solar City sales person along for a few months. Mostly I did it to get my friend a $50 credit if they gave me a proposal, They will not explain how their contracts work or the actually costs. They just say "you will save money". My friend who did Solar City a few years ago has changed his tune. He is locked in and pays more for electricity now that he has endured several contracted rate hikes. The first year he was whistling Dixie and selling everyone on this great thing he did. Now ask him and he gets pissed off and "doesn't want to talk about it".

If I had access to the gear for cheap or free like one HTF member here then my attitude would be different. If the Tesla roof tiles ever get down to a comparable cost per sq. ft. as regular roofing then I might reconsider but only if it is worth it and they are not fugly like the current stuff.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#6]
You are close. I understand the roof mount inhabitions as I would rather a ground based system.

I sized my system to just under 8kw/hr. No batterries, grid tied.
Buying wholesale and installing myself gets me near your $12k. Factor in the 30% Federal tax credit and I'm down to under $9k.

I have Eversource and the way it works is you build credit for the energy produced, minus what you use.
If I average 4hrs of peak sun per day (just peak sun), thats 960kw of sun per month. Minus my yearly average of 700kw/month gives me a monthly credit of 260kw of electricity.  None of this calculates the off-peak hours of production. Remember, panels still produce electricity, even on cloudy days (this can be around 60-70% efficiency).

So, by all my calculating, I've paid off my system in under 8yrs. If I dont plan to sell, until after this time, who cares if a buyer doesn't want it? I'm not locked into a contract and it's paid for itself. Tell them you'll rip it down once the deal is closed.  

I understand that not everyone has yard space, they may need a new roof and have to hire a contractor. So, their startup costs and ROI will differ greatly from my situation. I have no problem whacking down some trees and hiding an array on my property.  Plus, you can get an 8kw, lp, kohler generator for about the same price as a decent battery backup system (which would need maintaining and replacing).

The real problem is SolarWorld. Because they're declaring bankruptcy,  they're bitching and whining about imported solar panels being cheaper. They're pleading with lawmakers to tax these panels, which would price solar out for a lot of people. The majority of premium solar panels are made outside of the US. If anyone is thinking about soar, pay attention because you may have to act soon.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You are close. I understand the roof mount inhabitions as I would rather a ground based system.

I sized my system to just under 8kw/hr. No batterries, grid tied.
Buying wholesale and installing myself gets me near your $12k. Factor in the 30% Federal tax credit and I'm down to under $9k.

I have Eversource and the way it works is you build credit for the energy produced, minus what you use.
If I average 4hrs of peak sun per day (just peak sun), thats 960kw of sun per month. Minus my yearly average of 700kw/month gives me a monthly credit of 260kw of electricity.  None of this calculates the off-peak hours of production. Remember, panels still produce electricity, even on cloudy days (this can be around 60-70% efficiency).

So, by all my calculating, I've paid off my system in under 8yrs. If I dont plan to sell, until after this time, who cares if a buyer doesn't want it? I'm not locked into a contract and it's paid for itself. Tell them you'll rip it down once the deal is closed.  

I understand that not everyone has yard space, they may need a new roof and have to hire a contractor. So, their startup costs and ROI will differ greatly from my situation. I have no problem whacking down some trees and hiding an array on my property.  Plus, you can get an 8kw, lp, kohler generator for about the same price as a decent battery backup system (which would need maintaining and replacing).

The real problem is SolarWorld. Because they're declaring bankruptcy,  they're bitching and whining about imported solar panels being cheaper. They're pleading with lawmakers to tax these panels, which would price solar out for a lot of people. The majority of premium solar panels are made outside of the US. If anyone is thinking about soar, pay attention because you may have to act soon.
View Quote
When I leave this state and head somewhere else our plan is to be far enough away from our neighbors we don't see or hear them. I can't tell you how much I hate neighbors. While I get along and am friendly with them they are annoying. Barking dogs, noisy motorcycles, noisy people early or late at night, screaming kids and them constantly saying "nice day, huh" because they have to say something is really getting on my nerves.

I figure in 5-15 years the prices will come down and technology will improve. I will probably go for a ground based system unless the Tesla roof tiles are low cost enough. I will have generator backup unless battery storage gets cheap enough. My only major concern is storm damage so I will have to look into it.

My current yard is not large enough for ground based panels. I would have to go roof mounted. So when the day comes and we are moving to our house in the middle of the woods somewhere I will look into solar again. For now it just does not work for me. For some it will work now. Especially if you can buy stuff wholesale and do the work yourself.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice day eh?

Hahahjajajajajajaaj
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#9]
FDM
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

When I leave this state and head somewhere else our plan is to be far enough away from our neighbors we don't see or hear them. I can't tell you how much I hate neighbors. ......
View Quote
I'm lucky to live in eastern CT farmland.  The closest neighbor's house is about 1,000 feet away.  I can step outside and shoot.

Every year we get a bunch of flies for 1 or 2 weeks once or twice a spring/summer due to chick shit fertilizer on local farms.  One day I was whining about it to my neighbor/friend about the flies.  He said, "Yeah, but it's better than having neighbors."  Ain't that the truth!
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm lucky to live in eastern CT farmland.  The closest neighbor's house is about 1,000 feet away.  I can step outside and shoot.

Every year we get a bunch of flies for 1 or 2 weeks once or twice a spring/summer due to chick shit fertilizer on local farms.  One day I was whining about it to my neighbor/friend about the flies.  He said, "Yeah, but it's better than having neighbors."  Ain't that the truth!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I leave this state and head somewhere else our plan is to be far enough away from our neighbors we don't see or hear them. I can't tell you how much I hate neighbors. ......

But if you had neighbor's you could complain about road salt.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I think I'm going to burn some tires in the yard!
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Just buy a block of dry ice and let it evaporate
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just buy a block of dry ice and let it evaporate
View Quote
While it chills the beer while & smoke some ribs!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top