Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2017 11:13:22 PM EDT
First off let me state these two things. 1. I know internet forums are not considered binding legal advice. 2. Yes this really is for a friend.

A buddy of mine and I were having dinner. He asked what I thought was a good way to get his pre ban rifle to Utah for Coyote hunting and to bring it home. He will be flying.

The gun is a pre ban so there is no AW registration paperwork and he had it long enough that he does not have a DPS-3C for it.

He was thinking maybe he could send it to himself in Utah. (His daughter and son-in-law live there.). Then send it to himself when he comes home.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:59:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:21:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He could do that or check it as baggage if he is flying.
View Quote

He has done that in the past with other firearms but he is concerned that since it is an AW and he has no AW registration form that he will have his gun confiscated.

I think shipping it is a good option if legal to do so.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:43:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Agreed, skip Bradley and just ship it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Shipping it is perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
He has done that in the past with other firearms but he is concerned that since it is an AW and he has no AW registration form that he will have his gun confiscated.
View Quote

Why is he concerned that a gun that doesn't need a certificate of possession would need one just because he plans on transporting it legally out of state? If he's worried about it just have him print out the state statute on prebans and transport he firearm as indicated by the AW transport statute then as TSA/Airline policy for firearms indicates.

Or like others suggested just have the gun shipped to himself in Utah.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Why is he concerned that a gun that doesn't need a certificate of possession would need one just because he plans on transporting it legally out of state? If he's worried about it just have him print out the state statute on prebans and transport he firearm as indicated by the AW transport statute then as TSA/Airline policy for firearms indicates.

Or like others suggested just have the gun shipped to himself in Utah.
View Quote

He is concerned because of the state. I reassured him it is legal but he is worried. He only has 2 ARs and does not want to have a hassle with one.

I think the best option if he does not want to transport it is to ship it. That has risks too because it can get lost. Airlines lose luggage too.

Appreciate the advice and answers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#7]
If he's that nervous, take a video of him standing in his living room holding the rifle showing the roll mark and today's newspaper. Should prove he owned it prior to leaving the state and returning with it.

I am not a lawyer but I sometimes play one on the internet.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I've traveled with both long guns and handguns over many years.  I've never had a problem although my one basic fear was that at either the departing or arriving airport, I would be asked by the authorities to prove that I can have, in my possession at that location a firearm.  The would mean having a permit for that state.  Not once, however, in all the trips I've taken both nationally AND internationally (Canada hunting) was I EVER asked for an ID.   You collect you bag/rifle case like any other piece of luggage and walk away.  I've gone to Knob Creek, for instance, and bought off the shoulder of another fella an M1a which I simply put into a $9 rifle case I bought at K-Mart there and took it home as baggage, no problems at all.  No one cares.  The only place I believe you would have a problem is in NY.  Even Boston, I've been told, doesn't check for permits.  So, leaving from Logan (me a CT resident) should not cause an issue when checking my luggage at the ticket counter even though I don't have a MASS permit.  I have NOT attempted this, however.  I'm still of the mind that I should have a permit for the departing airport state at least although I'm told many times it's not an issue.  

NOTA BENE!:  If your plane is diverted to JFK due to weather and your flight is terminated there, STOP!  You should NOT collect your bags containing firearms but contact a senior agent or manager and arrange for them to hold your bag until the new flight is arranged for.  In NY you should NOT take possession of your bag/case because there you will be mishandled by the authorities for NOT having a NY permit (which is impossible to get).  If they control your bags, however, you should be fine until you get home.

I have also shipped shotguns ahead of me when I was going to the Dakotas and the flight had to make multiple stops. Rather than take a chance on losing them  I used UPS to my guides home and collected them when I arrived.  (There is nothing more strenuous than having a bag with a firearm going missing!  USA has lost them on me......twice......but I got them back within 24 hours but only after threatening USAir with the ATF which I had on speed dial. )

So, It would be my advice that you simply check your luggage as normal.  You are fine with a pre-ban so be confident enough that you'll not have any issues collecting your luggage just as I haven't had any issues.  

Rome
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
First off let me state these two things. 1. I know internet forums are not considered binding legal advice. 2. Yes this really is for a friend.

A buddy of mine and I were having dinner. He asked what I thought was a good way to get his pre ban rifle to Utah for Coyote hunting and to bring it home. He will be flying.

The gun is a pre ban so there is no AW registration paperwork and he had it long enough that he does not have a DPS-3C for it.

He was thinking maybe he could send it to himself in Utah. (His daughter and son-in-law live there.). Then send it to himself when he comes home.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
View Quote

His concerns aren't valid, tell him to check it and move on!
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Bradley doesn't care what it is, all firearms are treated the same. Declare it and put the card in the case. I've checked an AW and no one cared or asked for any ID.

There are tons of firearm industry people flying through Bradley with all kinds of hardware.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I (and gf technically) flew with a pre-ban AR and several other firearms out of Bradley to Phoenix last summer, and flew back into Bradley. Both ways had layover.

Zero issue. Bradley doesn't give a fuck. They see a metric shit ton fly out from CT gun companies especially for SHOT and NSSF.

They swab it, you lock it, you wave it bye. It could have been a locked pelican full of SMGs and halberds and it wouldn't make a difference.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for asking, for me. I saw the comments, I'll take it under advisement. Really I just asked, because I didn't want to be the first guinea pig, to get screwed by the state. Then have to spend 15k to prove the law is as written and pre-bans do not fall under the AWB. I know everyone talks the mean game, but it can happen just because some state authority is pissed cause his wife just left him for the paper boy. I traveled with AR's, before, but not since the 1160. This SPR is my pride and joy, built for coyote hunting in the desserts of Utah. So thanks for the help everyone. I think I'll check it as baggage since, some of you say you have recently traveled with pre-bans and I think the scope will be banged around as much less.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:08:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for asking, for me. I saw the comments, I'll take it under advisement. Really I just asked, because I didn't want to be the first guinea pig, to get screwed by the state. Then have to spend 15k to prove the law is as written and pre-bans do not fall under the AWB. I know everyone talks the mean game, but it can happen just because some state authority is pissed cause his wife just left him for the paper boy. I traveled with AR's, before, but not since the 1160. This SPR is my pride and joy, built for coyote hunting in the desserts of Utah. So thanks for the help everyone. I think I'll check it as baggage since, some of you say you have recently traveled with pre-bans and I think the scope will be banged around as much less.
View Quote

I love dessert, yummy!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top