Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/9/2016 5:11:09 PM EDT
What's the law? Ftf only still and not legal to wear in public I imagine?

Anything good in state? Can FFLs or something order online for individuals? Any good deals instate or online?

I've never looked into this stuff, never thought I'd need to. Probably still never would need it (my God I hope not) but I figured I've got a couple hundred bucks I could do without, given current events, I might as well get some before I can't.

This ad popped up on my Facebook feed and caught my interest. It's cheaper then I would have thought, which got me thinking. .

Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're looking for something to wear everyday your best bet is soft armour. I have a plate carrier with plates. I bought the plates from another Arfcom member FTF.

I would suggest looking at spartan plates vs AR500.

Another option is having a LEO buddy having it shipped to his place for you or you can send it to a buddy out of state.

ETA: if you want to check out my set up and try it on it may give you an idea of what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What's the law?
View Quote

The actual statutes:
Sec. 53-341b. Sale or delivery of body armor restricted.
Sec. 53a-217d. Criminal possession of body armor: Class A misdemeanor.

Basically, if your a peasant, you must buy the body armor in a face to face sale.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Who sells face to face in CT?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who sells face to face in CT?
View Quote

Some army/navy/surplus stores. I know the one on the Berlin trnpke gets it sometimes. But its usually USED.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#5]
The place on the Berlin Tpk usually has soft armor and some plates/carriers etc.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The actual statutes:

Basically, if your a peasant, you must buy the body armor in a face to face sale.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the law?

The actual statutes:

Peasant?  Wasn't  aware we were living in a feudal system.  What kind of tithe does Zerg pay to the church before the king gets upset? Is there primogeniture still?

I have to admit it's been awhile since I went to school but I could swear we live in a republic based on democratic ideals.  Maybe you kids have a different frame of reference. Anyway Zerg, it does have to be face to face for purchase, like it was for me.  There are no restrictions on ownership except of course for felons who are prohibited from owning armor.

Soft armor would be the most comfortable but is generally only effective for pistol caliber rounds.  To defeat most 5.56 and 7.62 x 39 rounds you would need plates, either standalone or in concert with (their ultimate rating based on a ballistic backer behind the plate).  You pay dearly for lightness.  I personally do not care for AR500.  You need a spall guard of some sort unless they are coated.  They are affordable but heavy.  I prefer ceramic but you have to be careful in maintaining them.  No dropping.

Carriers must fit you correctly as well as the plates.  There are different cuts  (shapes) of hard plates, sizes and curves.  It's not overly complicated but you need to get it right.  You want to be able to move.  It's a balancing act between protection, weight, cost and movement.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Peasant?  Wasn't  aware we were living in a feudal system.  What kind of tithe does Zerg pay to the church before the king gets upset? Is there primogeniture still?

I have to admit it's been awhile since I went to school but I could swear we live in a republic based on democratic ideals.  Maybe you kids have a different frame of reference. Anyway Zerg, it does have to be face to face for purchase, like it was for me.  There are no restrictions on ownership except of course for felons who are prohibited from owning armor.
View Quote

I know you jest, but like it or not the term peasant is an apt term since the legislature has intentionally created a two class system. Those employed by, paid by, or who protect those in government, and then there is everyone else. The statute for buying body armor, much like with the idiotic AW and LCM language, includes language that allows certain persons to buy it differently/easier than others.

"(b) The provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to the sale or delivery of body armor to..."
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#8]
ct police supply
new is pricey, go make friends with a cop and perhaps he will hand off an old one.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 7:23:27 PM EDT
[#9]
While it's legal to own and wear so long as you aren't a felon, I'd really think before you drop coin on body armor to wear every day. As someone who wears it's professionally I can tell you it is quite hot and uncomfortable. If it gives you peace of mind, by all means. But I would never wear it if I weren't in a job where I was continually headed towards danger.

A plate carrier in your house or car may make more sense if you aren't wearing it for work.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the input guys.

I don't really have any vision for this topic. I don't plan on wearing it every day, or probably really ever. I was just too late to the gun scene to be able to adequately prepare for the laws we have today, and I don't want to be too late for any possible armor ones. I really just figured I better get it now while I still can, and so the homework begins . .
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I know you jest, but like it or not the term peasant is an apt term since the legislature has intentionally created a two class system. Those employed by, paid by, or who protect those in government, and then there is everyone else. The statute for buying body armor, much like with the idiotic AW and LCM language, includes language that allows certain persons to buy it differently/easier than others.

"(b) The provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to the sale or delivery of body armor to..."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't jest. I just know the proper definition of peasant. But carry on by all means if it makes one feel better. There are legal ways to it. Just takes some.effort. Less than bitching about it actually.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the input guys.

I don't really have any vision for this topic. I don't plan on wearing it every day, or probably really ever. I was just too late to the gun scene to be able to adequately prepare for the laws we have today, and I don't want to be too late for any possible armor ones. I really just figured I better get it now while I still can, and so the homework begins . .
View Quote

I would get both hard and soft if you can afford it. Do it while you can! I have both! I hope to never wear it primarily due to its weight and it's uncomfortable! If you need some help, send me a pm and I will point you in the right directions
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't jest. I just know the proper definition of peasant. But carry on by all means if it makes one feel better.
View Quote

Thanks for the laugh. I know full well the way I use the word it is not the "proper" definition but as a slang term it fits. Primarily in my view due to the politicians who seem to view the citizens as holding a lower social status than those in government. And yes carry on.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't jest. I just know the proper definition of peasant. But carry on by all means if it makes one feel better. There are legal ways to it. Just takes some.effort. Less than bitching about it actually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to purchase some 20 round mags, 40 round PMags and 32 rd Daniel Defense mags. I have a thing for a PS90 as well. Could you please direct me to how I can legally obtain the items on my wish list?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:43:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would like to purchase some 20 round mags, 40 round PMags and 32 rd Daniel Defense mags.  I have a thing for a PS90 as well.  Could you please direct me to how I can legally obtain the items on my wish list?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to purchase some 20 round mags, 40 round PMags and 32 rd Daniel Defense mags.  I have a thing for a PS90 as well.  Could you please direct me to how I can legally obtain the items on my wish list?

Become LEO, .mil or one of the privileged few....
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#16]
A few years back I picked up a set of curved and double coated AR500 brand plates. They were cheap, and I'm really glad I have them. They are tough, and don't need to be babied.

But holy hell they are heavy. I'd be sucking after a few hours wearing them. But for being hold up in my house covering a hallway with my family behind me...it'll do just fine.

I heard a guy that I really respect say when it comes to body armor there are three factors. Lightweight, effective, and cheap. You can only pick two.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A few years back I picked up a set of curved and double coated AR500 brand plates. They were cheap, and I'm really glad I have them. They are tough, and don't need to be babied.

But holy hell they are heavy. I'd be sucking after a few hours wearing them. But for being hold up in my house covering a hallway with my family behind me...it'll do just fine.

I heard a guy that I really respect say when it comes to body armor there are three factors. Lightweight, effective, and cheap. You can only pick two.
View Quote

Makes a lot of sense.

I guess I'm looking for effective & cheap in the short term, and effective & lightweight in the midterm.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I have spartan (some kind of special cut) curved plates, they are really comfortable. The plates in the carrier with nonothing else loaded is 35lbs. Not really a lot of weight. I have don't matches with the carrier and if it wasn't so damn hot out I could have worn it the entire time.

They are heavy but its not unbearable. I wouldn't want to wear it 8+hours per day though.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 10:53:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I would like to purchase some 20 round mags, 40 round PMags and 32 rd Daniel Defense mags. I have a thing for a PS90 as well. Could you please direct me to how I can legally obtain the items on my wish list?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legal ways to purchase body armor. But you knew that.  To get the others, you have to move.  Our borders are quite porous should you like to give it a try.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:42:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I totally regret offering my help in a pissing contest... Next time I read the posters I will avoid!
God bless
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 2:34:28 AM EDT
[#21]
That place across from Hoffman's (Barracks?) sells some nice new stuff.

BulletSafe Class-3 soft vest -> 299 (This vest also has two pockets, front and rear for plates)
Two type-3 curved ar500 BAO plates ->180

Buy it before you can't. It's KT after all so time is limited.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:59:37 PM EDT
[#22]
My local FFL is now a dealer for Spartan Armor. (I have no affiliation with Spartan but you can easily find them online to see their products. If this is no good, I will edit them out.)

He mentioned to me today about putting together a group buy.

If anyone is interested IM me and I will forward along his contact info...
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#23]
It's all going to come down to your budget and availability.  If you only want to spend a couple hundred dollars and want protection from rifles then there are not many options out there.  Buy some cheap AR500 plates and a carrier to satisfy that empty spot in your closet. In my opinion, keep an eye out and find someone local selling a set of SAPI plates or if your lucky ESAPIs but expect to pay a few pennies more. New ESAPIs are going to big bucks, but they have the protection to back it up. 3/16" AR500 is not going to stop 30-06 AP.

With that said, in any scenario, wearing hard armor (with or without some sort of load out ) for any extended period of is going to be uncomfortable, if you've never done it before.  Seems like you are thinking about a SHTF situation, so ask yourself which would you be better off with?

At the end of the day, I supposed something is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:22:09 PM EDT
[#24]
How do shops get it? Buy it out of state and bring it in or something?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My local FFL is now a dealer for Spartan Armor. (I have no affiliation with Spartan but you can easily find them online to see their products. If this is no good, I will edit them out.)

He mentioned to me today about putting together a group buy.

If anyone is interested IM me and I will forward along his contact info...
View Quote

whos your ffl?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#26]
This topic is something I'm interested in as well.
Just to be clear we can buy FTF anywhere in the country, right?

If I wanted to go top of the line, what's my best bet in CT?  Seems like the online dealers that carry top of the line all indicate a several week lead time. Kind of impractical for finding top of the line "in stock" in my frequent travels.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:38:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Define "best"
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:05:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If I wanted to go top of the line, what's my best bet in CT?  Seems like the online dealers that carry top of the line all indicate a several week lead time. Kind of impractical for finding top of the line "in stock" in my frequent travels.
View Quote

Depends what you want. Even the cheaper mainstream soft and hard stuff now functions 100% at stopping projectiles it's rated for.

The more 'custom' soft armor is mainly about fit and comfort, not functionality. You'll pay handsomely for that custom cut too. But if wearing some kind of soft armor all day in a typical work outfit is something you need than it's probably worth it.

The FTF thing is a CT state law and doesn't apply anywhere else in the country. So if you live and buy here there's a stupid form you fill out for the store to keep that proves it was a ftf sale.

That Barracks place (which has plenty of parking) in Newington has a decent selection. Go there and see if any of the modern off-the-rack items suit your needs.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:26:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Define "best"
View Quote

How do I get these in 10.25x13.25 in CT?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:28:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Define "best"

While I do like Chase - There are better options, IMHO.

Call Tom @ Southbury Trading Post - He'll get you set up.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:32:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Why are they cranky all the time? Every time I go in that shop they're grumpy.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Why are they cranky all the time?  Every time I go in that shop they're grumpy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why are they cranky all the time?  Every time I go in that shop they're grumpy.

Lol grumpy? Bad day maybe? IDK.

Tom's been my class 3 dealer since day 1...Good dude imho.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Depends what you want. Even the cheaper mainstream soft and hard stuff now functions 100% at stopping projectiles it's rated for.

The more 'custom' soft armor is mainly about fit and comfort, not functionality. You'll pay handsomely for that custom cut too. But if wearing some kind of soft armor all day in a typical work outfit is something you need than it's probably worth it.

The FTF thing is a CT state law and doesn't apply anywhere else in the country. So if you live and buy here there's a stupid form you fill out for the store to keep that proves it was a ftf sale.

That Barracks place (which has plenty of parking) in Newington has a decent selection. Go there and see if any of the modern off-the-rack items suit your needs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First time I ever heard of a form. Is it a requirement for a FTF private sale/buy? Or just a store covering themselves?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#34]
There is no form...

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/rpt/2009-R-0401.htm

By law, it is a class A misdemeanor for anyone convicted of specific felonies or a serious juvenile offense to possess body armor. And, with some exceptions for law enforcement personnel and armed forces members, it is a class B misdemeanor to sell body armor without personally meeting the purchaser. The law defines “body armor” as material designed to be worn on the body and to provide bullet penetration resistance.

The only law governing body armor in this state is that it has to be a FTF transfer - Obviously I'm including that in order to do a FTF Xfer you have to be qualified to own it in the first place...

There is no form you legally have to fill out to obtain body armor...None.

If someone's having you fill out a form it's strictly to CTA - Nothing more, nothing less.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Makes sense. I never heard of a form. At least officially.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:07:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Define "best"

Thanks. IM sent.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#37]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_121/1569353_The_SKD_Armor_Plate___Paraclete_PC__399_GB_Part_Deux____IS_NOW_LIVE___.html

This SKD group buy just went live. They won't ship to CT (because of laws) so if you know someone willing out of state that can help you out, this might be the best deal I've seen since I started looking.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_121/1569353_The_SKD_Armor_Plate___Paraclete_PC__399_GB_Part_Deux____IS_NOW_LIVE___.html

This SKD group buy just went live. They won't ship to CT (because of laws) so if you know someone willing out of state that can help you out, this might be the best deal I've seen since I started looking.
View Quote

This is a real good deal. I have bought a lot of stuff from SKD in the past but never done a group buy. I was reviewing their armor sales policy and it gets dicey for CT. Address of shipment needs to match address of driver lic and pistol permit. If I can get in touch with them about to overcome this then I am getting on this one. Wish I bought this stuff when I was AD. Oh well, live and learn. I may try to get find and active LE or .mil to help me out. Thanks for posting this zeg
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:19:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This is a real good deal. I have bought a lot of stuff from SKD in the past but never done a group buy. I was reviewing their armor sales policy and it gets dicey for CT. Address of shipment needs to match address of driver lic and pistol permit. If I can get in touch with them about to overcome this then I am getting on this one. Wish I bought this stuff when I was AD. Oh well, live and learn. I may try to get find and active LE or .mil to help me out. Thanks for posting this zeg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. I was going to try and use an out of state work address but it's a no go. They simply won't ship to CT residents unless you're mil/leo.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yep. I was going to try and use an out of state work address but it's a no go. They simply won't ship to CT residents unless you're mil/leo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or an FFL...

FFL then FTF's to you.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Or an FFL...

FFL then FTF's to you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or an FFL...

FFL then FTF's to you.

Well if I was an FFL and went through the hassle to create a membership here and then go through the ringer to order armor from SKD Id want to take advantage of this deal myself and it's a max order of 2 per member that signs up.

Or at least mark it up for my trouble, negating a good chunk of the savings.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Well if I was an FFL and went through the hassle to create a membership here and then go through the ringer to order armor from SKD Id want to take advantage of this deal myself and it's a max order of 2 per member that signs up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or an FFL...

FFL then FTF's to you.

I have a dealer that would accommodate but there was no interest- I already have 3 sets of armor  so ...tried to help but no interest ! Good luck in the quest for armor
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Where in the law is there any exemption for an FFL? It's pretty cut and dry, if you aren't .gov in some form it is FTF.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#44]

At the government employee defining peasant for us!!

Thanks, prosecutor.

I have 2 garbage can lids made into vest using clothesline.

And my moms old metal strainer as a helmet, nods mount ok with zip ties and duct tape.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Thanks, prosecutor.

And my moms old metal strainer as a helmet, nods mount ok with zip ties and duct tape.
View Quote

Haven't seen a post from u in a while.  Nice.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Where in the law is there any exemption for an FFL? It's pretty cut and dry, if you aren't .gov in some form it is FTF.
View Quote

So you mean to tell me that the police supply stores and other places that carry body armor actually go pick up their stuff FTF instead of UPS or FedEx delivering it?
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Thanks, prosecutor.

View Quote

It's great to see you post again here.  Missed your vital input.  People keep telling me what a great guy you are.  I hope you stick around.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It's great to see you post again here.  Missed your vital input.  People keep telling me what a great guy you are.  I hope you stick around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, prosecutor.

Huh. Anyone saying Im a good guy should be given a wide birth, and possibly have a note put in their permanent file.

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Huh. Anyone saying Im a good guy should be given a wide birth, and possibly have a note put in their permanent file.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, prosecutor.

Pics of denim head to toe not loading.

Nice to see you posting here again, too!
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, prosecutor.

Thast my boss. Its called a Canadian tuxedo.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top