Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/4/2015 10:59:42 AM EDT
Didn't realize these lowers were now available instead of full gun ($460 shipped via gun broker).  A CT option for those that don't want to pay more for a pre ban?

Anyone try one yet?

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool!  I have AR's, but would LOVE to buy one of these Ares SCR rifle or lower.  I like 'em.  I'm a little (well very) cash strapped right now after having bought a Dillon Super 1050 a month ago.  The SCR might be in my future.

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:03:17 PM EDT
[#2]
While not the best option, if I didn't have any ar's I would definitely look into these.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#3]
So I have a post ban S&W sport. The kind with the non threaded barrel.  I think that upper on the lower would be good to go. What I'm really looking for is a trunk gun. So this lower with that upper would not need to follow the AW transportation restrictions. If my thought process is correct.

So that lower, my upper, and a trunk vault. A stash of 10 round mags. And that's quite a nice addition to a vehicle.

In the back of my mind I had been thinking of getting a Troy PAR as a trunk gun.

My M&P lower was also going to be my first SBR'd lower. This story almost writes itself.  Anyone see anything I'm overlooking?
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I have a post ban S&W sport. The kind with the non threaded barrel.  I think that upper on the lower would be good to go. What I'm really looking for is a trunk gun. So this lower with that upper would not need to follow the AW transportation restrictions. If my thought process is correct.

So that lower, my upper, and a trunk vault. A stash of 10 round mags. And that's quite a nice addition to a vehicle.

In the back of my mind I had been thinking of getting a Troy PAR as a trunk gun.

My M&P lower was also going to be my first SBR'd lower. This story almost writes itself.  Anyone see anything I'm overlooking?
View Quote

Sounds good to me.  I'm leaning toward SKS trunk gun but  also curious to hear what others think about this idea.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you need to be going to a range or other allowed place with an AW.

You can't have it all the time in the trunk I don't think

IBTWOT

ETA, I reread your post you want to carry the Ares around. That may be ok
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out this thread. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/672281_ARES_SCR_Pics.html&page=17

These are pretty cool with a side charging upper.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Check out this thread. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/672281_ARES_SCR_Pics.html&page=17

View Quote

That wood stock is nice looking.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#8]
No one here seems to have tried it yet....I guess everyone here would rather spend an extra 400$ and get preban.

But I do like it.  Paired with a post ban type, light weight, mid length, upper it could be a nice light set up.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd be interested in a 308 model.  Until then, preban
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This LMT MRP upper looks pretty damn good in a wood stock also:

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 11:14:34 PM EDT
[#11]
(ii) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subparagraph (A)(i) of this subdivision, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subparagraph (A)(i) of this subdivision, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

I am afraid that possessing a SCR, and an AR15 upper with any of the banned features would put someone in violation of the above section of the Democratic/RINO AWB.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 11:22:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh well.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
(ii) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subparagraph (A)(i) of this subdivision, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subparagraph (A)(i) of this subdivision, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

I am afraid that possessing a SCR, and an AR15 upper with any of the banned features would put someone in violation of the above section of the Democratic/RINO AWB.
View Quote

You keep posting this. Go ACTUALLY READ THIS SECTION. so if you have pall the parts. To make one of those specified in that section. Until then you are misquoting the law.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:05:32 AM EDT
[#14]
These lowers have been forsale for a while now. Atleast almost a year.  NGX has had them on their wall for quite some time as well
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:09:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You keep posting this. Go ACTUALLY READ THIS SECTION. so if you have pall the parts. To make one of those specified in that section. Until then you are misquoting the law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry!  You are correct. I stand corrected. I got lazy, and just cut and pasted out of another post.

The section of the law that would come into play is:

(E) Any semiautomatic firearm regardless of whether such firearm is listed in subparagraphs (A) to (D), inclusive, of this subdivision, and regardless of the date such firearm was produced, that meets the following criteria:

(i) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following:

I am in a hurry to go to work right now, and I didn't find it, but I distinctly remember Sbhaven referring to the fact that the new law stated firearms also had to comply with the old AWB, so bayonet lugs and threaded barrels are NG. I believe it is in the amendment that did away with full-featured rimfires.  Sbhaven, help me out here!

I also have a pretty good feeling the state would argue an SCR with a full featured upper would be an AW under this section:

(B) Any of the following specified semiautomatic centerfire rifles, or copies or duplicates thereof with the capability of any such rifles

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:16:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sorry!  You are correct. I stand corrected. I got lazy, and just cut and pasted out of another post.

(E) Any semiautomatic firearm regardless of whether such firearm is listed in subparagraphs (A) to (D), inclusive, of this subdivision, and regardless of the date such firearm was produced, that meets the following criteria:

(i) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following:

I am in a hurry to go to work right now, and I didn't find it, but I distinctly remember Sbhaven referring to the fact that the new law stated firearms also had to comply with the old AWB, so bayonet lugs and threaded barrels are NG. I believe it is in the amendment that did away with full-featured rimfires.  Sbhaven, help me out here!

I also have a pretty good feeling the state would argue an SCR with a full featured upper would be an AW under this section:

(B) Any of the following specified semiautomatic centerfire rifles, or copies or duplicates thereof with the capability of any such rifles

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry!  You are correct.. I got lazy, and just cut and pasted out of another post.

But that would be up to the courts.  I hope no one ever has to be the test case!

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#17]
OK here we go again with a wall of text to explain our stupid laws and how the Ares SCR fits in to the wording of the law. Note: The following only applies to post September 13, 1994 manufactured firearms.

The Ares SCR is not banned by name.

The Ares SCR, if a centerfire semiautomatic detachable magazine rilfe, cannot have any of the following features:
  • Folding or telescoping stock
  • Any grip of the weapon, including a pistol grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other stock, the use of which would allow an individual to grip the weapon, resulting in any finger on the trigger hand in addition to the trigger finger being directly below any portion of the action of the weapon when firing
  • A forward pistol grip
  • A flash suppressor
  • A grenade launcher or flare launcher
The Ares SCR cannot be a semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the ability to accept more than ten rounds.

The Ares SCR cannot be a semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than thirty inches.

Now if the ARES SCR, or any other semiautomatic detachable magazine rifle (regardless of caliber), gets past the above idiotic legal language, then because of Sec. 53-202a(1)(E)(ix), it has to get past the old law's two feature ban. This means that a semiautomatic detachable magazine centerfire rifle that gets past the above feature ban list can have; a bayonet mount or a threaded barrel, but it cannot have both. A semiautomatic detachable magazine rimfire rifle can have only one of the following features:
  • A folding or telescoping stock
  • A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon
  • A bayonet mount
  • A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor
  • A grenade launcher
So if the Ares SCR or any other semiautomatic detachable magazine rifle gets past all that "common sense gun law" language then its legal to; buy, sell, possess, transfer in Connecticut.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm sure I missed it somewhere, but is anyone in CT transferring these lowers yet? I'm holding out hope for a 308, but I might grab one for shiggles.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm sure I missed it somewhere, but is anyone in CT transferring these lowers yet? I'm holding out hope for a 308, but I might grab one for shiggles.
View Quote

Posted above you saying where they are sold
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Ah NGX, I did indeed miss that. My apologies. I will have to stop in there, my local gun guy gets iffy about transferring new things if there's any debate about its legality.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Ah NGX, I did indeed miss that. My apologies. I will have to stop in there, my local gun guy gets iffy about transferring new things if there's any debate about its legality.
View Quote

CT Firearm and Tactical has them as well. That said I'd hold one first. The ergos suck, the mag release cannot be reached without moving your hand.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 5:47:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Heard there is a lefty mag release made by KAC that extends it...if your lefty
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#23]
The Knights armament ambi mag release is indeed quite a bit longer on the left side of the receiver, but it's only about an inch. I don't know if it would be long enough and it doesn't help you rightys out there.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Go with a side charging upper. Check out the link I posted above.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 4:39:46 PM EDT
[#25]
SBR without needing AW form / pinned mount/brake like the old days:
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#26]
An interesting set up for those stuck in gun grabber states.

Since it doesn't need a traditional AR buffer tube set up, could an ARAK 21 upper work on the SCR?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:22:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't see why not...it says in its description it will fit in ar15 lower receivers...the scr can take any ar15 upper...
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:28:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
An interesting set up for those stuck in gun grabber states.

Since it doesn't need a traditional AR buffer tube set up, could an ARAK 21 upper work on the SCR?
View Quote

I think this is a good idea.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
http://s23.postimg.org/i2191w5mz/Wesite_Header_Product_Ares_SCR.jpg
View Quote

Yes I am interested in this but have yet to touch one. If my math and assumptions serve me, a scr complete rifle has a 16" barrel and is 37" in oal. That means the lower is 21" and you can throw on a 9" .300 upper on it and rock n roll while flipping the bird to Malloy. Just need to have JoJo's pin on their old muzzle break. Am I missing anything?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yes I am interested in this but have yet to touch one. If my math and assumptions serve me, a scr complete rifle has a 16" barrel and is 37" in oal. That means the lower is 21" and you can throw on a 9" .300 upper on it and rock n roll while flipping the bird to Malloy. Just need to have JoJo's pin on their old muzzle break. Am I missing anything?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would need an SBR stamp right?

Can anyone have an SBR tax stamp as long as they have a permit or is it just for FFL's and LEO/Military?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Anyone can get a sbr stamp. Doesn't matter your credentials.

Get your scr, get your stamp by doing the papers, wait, once approved you can get an upper shorter than 16" if you do not have a pistol lower for it.

If you have a pistol lower, you can buy the shorter than 12" upper, but do not put it on a rifle lower until your SBR stamp comes back approved.

Others will chime in if I'm wrong, which I don't believe iam.  

Go to the class 3 section and you'll see SBR, general class 3 and a couple more
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I picked one of these lowers up a few months ago to mess around with.  The ergos aren't terrible.  It's no M4 but it's useable.  

Don't forget in CT the AW transportation laws apply to Prebans, so if you're going to stash a long gun in the back of your truck a Preban won't work.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Anyone can get a sbr stamp. Doesn't matter your credentials.

Get your scr, get your stamp by doing the papers, wait, once approved you can get an upper shorter than 16" if you do not have a pistol lower for it.

If you have a pistol lower, you can buy the shorter than 12" upper, but do not put it on a rifle lower until your SBR stamp comes back approved.

Others will chime in if I'm wrong, which I don't believe iam.  

Go to the class 3 section and you'll see SBR, general class 3 and a couple more
View Quote

(iii) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than thirty inches

If you make an SBR out of a detachable magazine, centerfire semi auto rifle, you are creating a prohibited AW.  Prebans are exempt.  Military/LE exempt.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Yea, so a 9.1" (to be safe) barrel is good to go if in fact the lower OAL is 21"...

Just saying
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yea, so a 9.1" (to be safe) barrel is good to go if in fact the lower OAL is 21"...

Just saying
View Quote

Yeah I saw this one in that other thread with a 10.5" and thought it looked great.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

No stamp?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

OK I'm going to come right out and say what many are thinking...

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yeah I saw this one in that other thread with a 10.5" and thought it looked great.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2clctu.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just saying

http://i58.tinypic.com/2clctu.jpg

I could work with it, if any one sbrs one and it does not require an aw cert to get approved by the atf...please let me know
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Just saying
View Quote

So I wonder how long it would take to prove to the ATF that you don't need a COP (no matter what the law says)?  The whole pre-ban needing a COP to SBR it is a concoction of the ATF, so trying to get this to fly may prove interesting.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:12:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So I wonder how long it would take to prove to the ATF that you don't need a COP (no matter what the law says)?  The whole pre-ban needing a COP to SBR it is a concoction of the ATF, so trying to get this to fly may prove interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just saying

That's my take on the whole thing... Though I am in if it can be done! Email me if anyone is going to do it
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:23:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Is there wording on SBR paperwork that indicates the firearm is an AW? The thought that I would need a COP confuses me. Why would it come up that this is an AW? Does it become an AW with the SBR classification? Or is it just due to stupid government officials who think they are actually in charge? I may seriously give this a try early next year with tax return money. Need to get all my ducks in a row first.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The SCR has a 37" OAL with a 16.25" barrel.  You should theoretically be able to File a Form 1 and chop the barrel to 12.25" without needing an AW cert as the OAL would still be over 30"
View Quote

And you should be able to add it to a trust a e-file as well.

Do we have anyone here that has SBR'd a bolt or a lever gun without a AWC? This should be the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Do we have anyone here that has SBR'd a bolt or a lever gun without a AWC? This should be the same thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The SCR has a 37" OAL with a 16.25" barrel.  You should theoretically be able to File a Form 1 and chop the barrel to 12.25" without needing an AW cert as the OAL would still be over 30"

Yea I was thinking 9" with pined break to get me to the over 30" mark. In the 9" realm thinking .300 not .223. I was thinking the same thing, that this would fall int bolt/lever gun realm and not need the COP as it's not an AW. That was unless the act of SBRing turns it into an AW. Very new to this side of the house.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Remember that in Connecticut a pistol/revolver is any firearm with a barrel under 12" long.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:52:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Awe crap. Even if it's over 30" long? And this is why I am new to this stuff. Overly complicated and spins your head around.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Awe crap. Even if it's over 30" long? And this is why I am new to this stuff. Overly complicated and spins your head around.
View Quote

Yes even if the overall length is over 30 inches. If the barrel is shorter than 12 inches the idiotic definition of a pistol for CT states its a pistol. We've had this discussion numerous times on the fact that a rifle or any other "firearm" can indeed be a pistol at the same time for the purposes of CT statutes.

The definitions: https://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap_950.htm

(15) “Machine gun” means a weapon of any description, irrespective of size, by whatever name known, loaded or unloaded, from which a number of shots or bullets may be rapidly or automatically discharged from a magazine with one continuous pull of the trigger and includes a submachine gun;

(16) “Rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger;

(17) “Shotgun” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger;

(18) “Pistol” or “revolver” means any firearm having a barrel less than twelve inches;

(19) “Firearm” means any sawed-off shotgun, machine gun, rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or other weapon, whether loaded or unloaded from which a shot may be discharged;
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its meant to.  By keeping the laws nebulous and confusing, the state intimidates people into not doing things by keeping them guessing what is legal.  It gives the law much more power than what is actually written into it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Its meant to.  By keeping the laws nebulous and confusing, the state intimidates people into not doing things by keeping them guessing what is legal.  It gives the law much more power than what is actually written into it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless your Madsmith and create the ultimate FU to Malloy with his. ATF classified "other" AIDS Cannon.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Unless your Madsmith and create the ultimate FU to Malloy with his. ATF classified "other" AIDS Cannon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep barrel over 12 inches, problem solved
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top