Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2015 9:47:05 PM EDT
So I just was looking around and saw some nice HK rifles.  They have date codes on them and there are many that have codes dating to the 1980s.  

Would these be preban?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Those would have been made prior to 13 September 1994.

If the model was named under the old law, whether or not the preban exemption applies is something that many people here debated, that CSP has a position on, and that various sellers have a position on. Some, like myself, tend to be cautious and choose not to get involved. (I don't encourage anybody to buy or possess one)  Others enjoy them. I'm sure that you can find some of the past threads on that topic.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#2]
HK date codes.  I assume you are talking HK91, 93, 94, PSG 1  All of these are preban.

A   B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I     K
0    1    2     3    4    5     6     7    8    9

"J" isn't used on guns, just magazines.  Example:  A 1986 HK91 date code is IG

Remember all of the above rifles have proprietary magazines.  There are 5 rd mags for the 91 and PSG-1 but they are very expensive.  I think 93s only had 25 and 40 rd mags.  There is a 10rd 9mm HK94 mag.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:58:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Ah yes some of em are banned by name...

So what about the wording of the law is ambiguous about that damned banned by name list?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
HK date codes.  I assume you are talking HK91, 93, 94, PSG 1  All of these are preban.

Remember all of the above rifles have proprietary magazines.  There are 5 rd mags for the 91 and PSG-1 but they are very expensive.  I think 93s only had 25 and 40 rd mags.  There is a 10rd 9mm HK94 mag.
View Quote

Very good info.  Thanks.  Yes I was thinking about hk 91 etc.  I wonder if the standard mags can be pinned....
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Very good info.  Thanks.  Yes I was thinking about hk 91 etc.  I wonder if the standard mags can be pinned....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any mag can be pinned
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=147553
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So what about the wording of the law is ambiguous about that damned banned by name list?
View Quote

The ambiguity comes from interpretation. Thus far, CSP has interpreted the preban language very broadly, even though in plain reading it appears as to only exempt non-named models banned by features under the ban in place on 1 JAN 2013.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:06:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

The language of the preban statute (Sec. 53-202m) is what it is. Some time post 6/18/13 DESPP reinterpreted that statute to mean that all banned by name guns (like AK-47's)  manufactured prior to 9/13/94 can now be purchased and possessed. DESPP basically said; "oops, our bad, banned by name prebans shouldn't have been banned for the last 15+ years" even though a technical reading of the preban statute continues to indicate otherwise. Prior to 4/4/13 such preban banned by name guns (like AK-47's) were illegal to buy, and to possess (unless one registered shortly after the first AWB was enacted in this state).

Here is DESPP's post 4/4/13 reinterpretation of the preban statute:
http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/firearms/pre-ban_assault_weapons.pdf

Office of Legislative Research's opinion differs from DESPP's and is inline with the pre 4/4/13 interpretation of the preban statute:
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/pdf/2013-R-0453.pdf

From CT Carry, attorney Rachel Baird's opinion on prebans:
http://ctcarry.com/Document/Download/a79af6bb-e571-4f58-9217-56b16882f46e

We have had many discussions on this reinterpretation of the preban statutes post 4/4/13 in many prior threads here in the CTHTF and on other CT gun forums. As JAD alluded to above, proceed with caution when buying a banned by name preban because the wording of the law is what it is and DESPP could decide at any time to change their interpretation of the preban statute and the officer who pulls you over and finds the banned by name preban may not know the minutia of the law or DESPP's reinterpretation of the preban statute.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#8]
The language of the preban statute (Sec. 53-202m) is what it is. Some time post 6/18/13 DESPP reinterpreted that statute to mean that all banned by name guns (like AK-47's) manufactured prior to 9/13/94 can now be purchased and possessed. DESPP basically said; "oops, our bad, banned by name prebans shouldn't have been banned for the last 15+ years" even though a technical reading of the preban statute continues to indicate otherwise.
View Quote

Which also doesn't discount the fact that there were criminal court prosecutions and convictions involving firearms that were banned by name during that time.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:40:43 AM EDT
[#9]
If it's a real HK then it's pre-94 import for sure and legal here in CT.  No more name banned list.  

Did HK stop importing in 89?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top