Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Posted: 6/2/2014 6:00:34 PM EDT
I've been thinking about it, but I dont know if its worth it or not.  

I'd also be looking to remove the thumbhole stock and install an under-folding stock if its possible.  I know there is a difference between the flat/slant cut receivers, but I dont know if it matters for an under folding stock install.

I have no 7.62x39 ammo-but its cheaper than 5.56 so thats a plus.

The only other two firearms I have interest in are bolt action and a revolver, so I dont see any threats against those in the near future.  

I just dont know if the AK platform is worth getting into.  Is it a fun range toy?  Or will it be disappointing compared to an AR?

And I also had NO foresight to register the 30 round AK mags that I SHOULD have bought!!

So its 10 round mags only for me if I move forward

SO I'm looking for opinions, and if the stock swap is doable if you guys convince me
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#1]
If your patient you can find one cheap.I picked mine up for $600.00 shipped on gunbroker bought a Arsenal USA made stock set. I  Like this gun better than my AR's Looking to pickup a second one now.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If your patient you can find one cheap.I picked mine up for $600.00 shipped on gunbroker bought a Arsenal USA made stock set. I  Like this gun better than my AR's Looking to pickup a second one now.
View Quote

Wow is that used or new? That's a damn good price!
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was used but It looks unfired
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in the same boat. I was thinking of going with an 84s in 5.56 and doing a conversion to take my declared 30 round mags.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm in the same boat. I was thinking of going with an 84s in 5.56 and doing a conversion to take my declared 30 round mags.
View Quote

AK was born to be 762x39 and ammo is much cheaper just bought 1000 rounds of Wolf for $234 shipped
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Ak-47s have not been legal for transfer to second tier citizens in Connecticut state since the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban, yes?  Or roughly thereabouts?

The window will likely close again.  I say get it!  I did!

I overpaid   but I don't regret it that much, just wish I had shopped around in person out of state, and transferred them in.  If I had done that, I could have probably gotten two of 'em.

It immediately became my favorite rifle, over my preban Colt M4 and some other fun ones.

Get it~!  Norinco MAK90s are easy to modify, and Norincos are widely regarded as perhaps the best.  Certainly top quality, with real nice triggers.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#8]
DO IT!  You will not regret it.
When you search for it, try to find one with a straight cut receiver, (which is rare) most MAKs have a angle cut receiver with a hole cut in it due to the ban in "94". This cut and hole in it now limits you either the butthole stock that comes with it or IronWood Design is the only one I know of that makes a T56 custom stock to fit these.

I picked up a milled MAK-90 with the butthole stock not too long ago, and I am now in the process of de-banning it.
Here is what it started as:

And then I changed the front sight, gas block, drilled a hole for the cleaning rod, and threaded the barrel for a slant brake. Right now I am waiting on my stock set to come in from Iron Wood.

I have all the tools to thread the barrel, so if you decide to go this route let me  know and I'll help you out.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#10]
What did you use for the FSB and Gas block, Bulgarian?  The original Chinese parts are like Unobtainium!
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the info guys!
I like that sticker alot! haha

Jzee- That is looking good, and yea that would be something else I'd want to do(thread the barrel and install the angle FH)  I heard the FSB can cause issues on the MAK90 if you want to thread the barrel....any truth to that?
I would be looking to install a under folding stock-so does the slant/flat receiver matter for that stock?  
Another thing; what is more desirable.....milled or stamped receiver?
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Jzee- That is looking good, and yea that would be something else I'd want to do(thread the barrel and install the angle FH)  I heard the FSB can cause issues on the MAK90 if you want to thread the barrel....any truth to that?
I would be looking to install a under folding stock-so does the slant/flat receiver matter for that stock?  
View Quote

Milled.  But it will cost you and weigh more.

There is a Norinco National Match for sale locally in the EE.

It all depends what you want to do with it.

Also, try an under folder before you start down that path yourself.    They don't really offer any advantage other than a way to make the gun shorter for jumping out of an airplane.  They also offer the disadvantage of a shitty cheek weld (chin weld), low stability, and a pain to deploy.  I won't tell you how to set up your gun, but side folder is the way to go IMO.  And keeping it as close to stock is the way to go.

I'd start with a basic Norinco, Polytech, etc as close to the "classic" AK-47 design as you can get.    They are really not that big
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I dont see you installing an under folder stock to a stamped receiver.  The receivers are cut and stamped for the underfolder stock mechanism.  I haven't seen an aftermarket setup.

It would be easier to install a side folder stock.   You can get aftermarket sidefolders that either replaces or modifies the rear trunnion.

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Every time I see a thread about AKs is just makes me
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Got me a MA  AK 47 few months ago. Straight cut receiver fitted with ironwood stock and foregrips.

I use to own a norinco sks that took AK mags
I sold the rifle but kept mags... hence I owned and registered 30 rounders for the AK. Fun little rifle.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Yea I'll probably look for a milled norinco mak90 then Matt.  I'll have to look more into the under folder I guess.  I was liking the idea of being able to use it like
a pistol
Quoted:
I dont see you installing an under folder stock to a stamped receiver.  The receivers are cut and stamped for the underfolder stock mechanism.  I haven't seen an aftermarket setup.

It would be easier to install a side folder stock.   You can get aftermarket sidefolders that either replaces or modifies the rear trunnion.

View Quote

So it would be doable with a milled receiver?  I'll also think about doing a side folder instead haha, I just really like the look of the under folder for some reason.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Same boat, anyone know if its even remotely possible to make 20rd TAPCO mags work? PM me if need be. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry meant 20rd SKS
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 10:05:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Aside from the cool feeling provided by eating the forbidden/banned fruit- ak 47's kinda suck!
Not trying to be a dick here but the ak47 speaks for itself! Reliable? Yes! Accurate? No!
More fun to shoot than a 16- that depends on how muck the shooter likes his particular rifle!
Ak74- great rifle
M16- I love em, some don't!
Ak47- high cool factor but that goes away....
If I had the choice of buying an ak47 or more uppers/parts/ do dads for my ar15, I would go with the second choice and buy accessories for the ar! That choice being made from a practical standpoint.
I own all three rifles
In Semi and full auto configurations- ymmv!
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Seems to me there are alot more stamped straight cut receivers around.I threaded my barrel installed Arsenal stock set.I'm done got me a AK
" />
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Aside from the cool feeling provided by eating the forbidden/banned fruit- ak 47's kinda suck!
Not trying to be a dick here but the ak47 speaks for itself! Reliable? Yes! Accurate? No!
More fun to shoot than a 16- that depends on how muck the shooter likes his particular rifle!
Ak74- great rifle
If I had the choice of buying an ak47 or more uppers/parts/ do dads for my ar15, I would go with the second choice and buy accessories for the ar! That choice being made from a practical standpoint.
I own all three rifles
View Quote

Mikey get an FAL.

Right arm of the free world!

AK's are for goddamn commies

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#22]
It's hard to beat a proper fal
It's easy to beat someone to death with a fal, proper or improper, does not matter! The fal is an awesome rifle and an impressive club!

Highbrow bitches
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Mikey get an FAL.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/fal_RhoSAStracker33.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ak74- great rifle
I own all three rifles

Mikey get an FAL.

For sure I'd much rather have an FAL, but they aren't giving those away
I can much easier swing a mak90 right now.

Nutter, thanks for that.  Yea I'm kinda burnt out on AR stuff for a while I think...4 rifles, 5 uppers, 2 of them sbr'd,1 can... I need something new without going into FA territory

Remlap-lookin good!

ETA: gotta love the 308 mag stickin out of the FAL
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 10:28:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Nutter, thanks for that.  Yea I'm kinda burnt out on AR stuff for a while I think...4 rifles, 5 uppers, 2 of them sbr'd,1 can... I need something new without going into FA territory

Remlap-lookin good!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ak74- great rifle
I own all three rifles

Mikey get an FAL.

Remlap-lookin good!

Then buy what your heart desires and enjoy it

If you come to one of the shoots, you can shoot my f/a ak
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#25]
You have to look for a MAK90 with the receiver cut for an under folder. I saw a few for sale the past couple of months. I picked up a milled MAK90 and a straight cut stamped MAK. Wanted an under folder so I picked up a norinco 56s-1. So as far as getting an AK I say do it.

Here's the MAK you want to look for:  
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 2:06:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ak-47s have not been legal for transfer to second tier citizens in Connecticut state since the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban, yes?  Or roughly thereabouts?

View Quote

Negative.
I have/had one registered for years already, post (1994) ban  Rom SAR-1.
But I don't remember the cutoff date for registering.  (late 90's-early 2000's I think)

Go for it. AK's are awesome.
Ammo cost is good too. Approx $235 shipped per 1K if shop around.

And as was said, I felt real cool rolling to the range with an AK after the assholes closed it down.
It cost me more ammo letting others shoot it than I shot it over the years. But I was glad to do it
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 6:16:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What did you use for the FSB and Gas block, Bulgarian?  The original Chinese parts are like Unobtainium!
View Quote

Yes, Milled Bulgarian parts will work on a Milled MAK. I was originally trying to track down Chinese parts but they are almost non existent or stupid expensive.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 6:53:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks
With The FSB on already it would not be a problem threading it, but if you wanted to use the slanted brake you would need to either drill the Chinese FSB for a detent pin or pick up a Bulgarian Front sight, depending on what variant AK you buy.
This is not my pic but it shows you an example on how the slanted brake and detent pin look like

If your looking to do a underfolder it would be easier and cheaper to find a stamped underfolder with the cut out for the folding mechanism.
It really comes down to preference for milled or stamped.  I prefer milled.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#29]
I have been considering trading a stripped pre-ban AR lower for a mak 90 but can't make up my mind
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 7:26:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have been considering trading a stripped pre-ban AR lower for a mak 90 but can't make up my mind
View Quote

What type of MAK? Milled, Stamped, Underfolder? Any pics of it?
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 8:12:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IM sent
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 11:01:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks a lot sbone that info helps a lot!
I was under the impression that all of the receivers had that hole cutout under the stock from the ban era.  So luckily I didn't just assume any could have the under folder installed.

So as far as the under folder stocks go, what is your opinion on them compared to the other stocks?

Thanks again jzee yea I think I'll just look for an under folder receiver for now.  But yea I'd probably like to thread and install a slant FH too.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Its worth it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I had an NHM-91 and Mak-90, you can find them cheap here on the EE. Be aware, the Chinese built AK's different than most, in fact they made them bigger. Thicker sheet steel for the receivers among other things. Standard AK parts are for the most part, not a drop in fit. That said, they have some very nice factory triggers and can be found dirt cheap. Watch the EE, Gunbroker, etc... find one that's been abused, clean it up and bam, cheap sweet AK. Also keep in mind, that for furniture conversions from thumbhole stocks, you want a straight receiver, not a slant cut if you can avoid it. In addition, you are pretty much stuck with Ironwood Designs for replacement furniture, which is beautiful wood, but expensive and you're looking at a long wait these days.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Daewoo
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Not to get to off topic but what preban fals are out there that you can documentation for?
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 9:02:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Daewoo
View Quote

Oh, oh, whatcha got?
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Not to get to off topic but what preban fals are out there that you can documentation for?
View Quote

Anything by FN Herstal made in Belgium- non century gun
Springfield armory SAR 48
All imbel/ century guns are post ban
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

After 2 years, first post is a threadjack!? Haha
Not a bad question though
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#41]
You want an AK.  They are fun.   Check your IM box too, I think I have something you'll want.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#42]
If you get an AK in 5.56, there are several AR mag adapters.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If you get an AK in 5.56, there are several AR mag adapters.
View Quote

Any reviews? How hard are they to install any experience doing so? I'm trying to find a 84s for 750-1000 and then throw on an adapter.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Part of the reason of wanting an AK style rifle is to not shoot 5.56

SO I found one I'm interested in, but on its side its labeled....

Lebanu INC
RNKNKMA NY
Ak-47 Sporter
Made in China
By Norinco

Is this ok that it says AK 47?  Or should it say MAK 90?
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#45]
I only have 30 rd 5.56 mags declared at 10 rounds might as well get an SKS...
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 6:57:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I only have 30 rd 5.56 mags declared at 10 rounds might as well get an SKS...
View Quote

A few months ago I thought the same thing.

But then I thought about....its just a range toy, so I dont mind loading up 10 rounds at a time.  Then If I want the "look" Ill just grab one or two 30 round mags pinned to 10.  
Full auto-yea 10 rounds would SUCK, but semi, who cares....
IF SHTF I'd be grabbing an AR with 30 round mags anyways.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Lebanu INC
RNKNKMA NY
Ak-47 Sporter
Made in China
By Norinco

View Quote

Your good to go
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Your good to go
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lebanu INC
RNKNKMA NY
Ak-47 Sporter
Made in China
By Norinco

Your good to go

Really even though it says AK 47 on the side?  I dont see MAK 90 on it anywhere...
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Really even though it says AK 47 on the side?  I dont see MAK 90 on it anywhere...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lebanu INC
RNKNKMA NY
Ak-47 Sporter
Made in China
By Norinco

Your good to go

Its preban- they seem to be approving transfers or all rifles made before 94
its a norinco,it came in before 94
some dealers wont transfer them, some will.
Is it legal? some say yes, some say no however they are being transferred in and sold to individuals in state.
If you want one, buy it now because this will not last forever
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Is it legal? some say yes, some say no however they are being transferred in and sold to individuals in state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lebanu INC
RNKNKMA NY
Ak-47 Sporter
Made in China
By Norinco

Your good to go

What was throwing me off is that it says ak47, so I thought ak47 was banned by name even preban.  But does this not count because it is norinco?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top