unfortunately no
View Quote

i like the unfortunate part
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:14:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bending_rodriguez] [#2]
Lets keep it alive!

Pic dump!

M1907 sling before and after Neatsfoot oil

Couple of mean old spiders!  Ive had them for a little over a year now.  The blue one is 3.25", and the white one is 4.25"  Got them both when they were about 1".

Obligatory food pic(not dinner pic).

And because I told Zeger I'd take one, this is my "setup" for picture taking.  I use a Canon 30D to take my "good" pictures.  Thats whats on the tripod.  You can actually see the camera setup in the sling pics above a little better.

I turn the main flourescent lights off and turn the pan lights on when Im actually taking pictures.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn Bender you and your spiders! Really cool photo setup, my high quality photography is switching my phone camera to HDR.

I'll try to get a pic for this thread tonight.

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#4]
No shit, huh. Im gonna have to get me a big ol piece of white paper.

And a real camera.

Nice set-up Bendy.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#5]
yuck spiders
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I would have blasted that spider a long time ago. As much #4 Buck as it took.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mikehikes:
I would have blasted that spider a long time ago. As much #4 Buck as it took.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#8]
New addition to my collection.

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Its....its...its so funny looking lol
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By Tbr1806:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tbr1806:

It's a gorgeous marvel of German engineering
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
Damn that's pretty sweet!

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:59:36 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Niedersachen PSP with Nills

That pretty close to my old one
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By Typhoid70:

View All Quotes

Nice. Why did you sell it?

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Big snow storm creates a lot of suck, but it does make some things better.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:17:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bending_rodriguez] [#15]
Originally Posted By JohnsMyName:
http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s658/Johnsmyname/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150209_105018_zps57180537.jpg

View Quote

Pho boston?

What you need to do is cut the green pepper in half, and crush it, then throw it in the soup and play russian roulette.....
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

I like it johnsmyname! Wish I picked one up before the price sky rocketed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:54:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnsMyName] [#17]

Originally Posted By bending_rodriguez:
Pho boston?

What you need to do is cut the green pepper in half, and crush it, then throw it in the soup and play russian roulette.....
View All Quotes

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s658/Johnsmyname/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150209_105018_zps57180537.jpg

Pho boston?

Damn Bender, you know your Phone! That sounds dangerous, just a squirt of chile paste for me.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By dutchman84:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dutchman84:

Thanks Dutch. Yeah prices are crazy, but I love them and will probably have it for a very long time. Not to mention I can't see prices ever going down so it's kind of an investment.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Damn Bender, you know your Phone! That sounds dangerous, just a squirt of chile paste for me.

View All Quotes

Pho boston?

I love that soup.  I load it up with hot sauce and I usually eat the green peppers.  I usually leave in a hallucinatory state though.....

Just thinking about VERY hot peppers makes my mouth water.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:42:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnsMyName] [#20]
I'm all about soup too, especially in weather like this. I was actually at A Dong buying duck and beef prices to make stocks today when I mosied over to Pho Boston.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote
Gunbroker or store? I've asked my local shops if they've ever gotten them in on consignment or used but they didn't even know what I was talking about. So sexy.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:32:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnsMyName] [#22]

Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
Gunbroker or store? I've asked my local shops if they've ever gotten them in on consignment or used but they didn't even know what I was talking about. So sexy.  
View All Quotes

Thanks Camel. It was actually from a gun shop in Iowa. I was searching for awhile, there are some on GB and occasionally on HK Pro EE.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:38:13 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes

If you're looking for one they have one at Delta
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

Because I kept calling it a cocksqueezer instead of a squeezecocker...
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By SlinginSteel:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SlinginSteel:

When did you see that? Do you know what model and or price?

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By Andrapos:
Skewers in your soup?  

And that spoon looks a bit suspect...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Andrapos:

Skewers in your soup?  

And that spoon looks a bit suspect...

Sum Ting Wong soup.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

I enjoyed owning it, but I never really enjoyed shooting it.    I carried it for at lest 3 years, but once I got serious and started carrying plastic, it just sat in the safe.

I cashed out as prices were really taking off and was able to beat the house all winter with the proceeds.

It was really nice, but I've never missed it.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#30]

I carried it for at lest 3 years, but once I got serious and started carrying plastic, it just sat in the safe.
View All Quotes

I carried it for at lest 3 years, but once I got serious and started carrying plastic, it just sat in the safe.

Glock ...          

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 9:04:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pi_the_mixer] [#31]
He did not want to come out yet ... I guess he was too comfortable in there.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#32]
^ is that a rodent death chamber lined with Honey Smacks and nails? Niiiiiiiice.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Haha, was it the supply of celery and nuts or the framing nail spikes keeping him in there? Did you give him a hand?

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 10:37:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MC1974] [#34]
nothing beats saturday morning at Pho501 for spicy beef and side of raw meat with siracha for breakfast. might do it again this weekend

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:14:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Mickey Blakes in Southington.  Nice place to spend a snowy Sunday.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By MC1974:
nothing beats saturday morning at Pho501 for spicy beef and side of raw meat with siracha for breakfast. might do it again this weekend

<a href="http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/mcorentin/media/PHO_zpsbcevo0mb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg567/mcorentin/PHO_zpsbcevo0mb.jpg</a>
View Quote

I've never had pho and really want to try it.  That spicy beef one looks awesome.  There's a bunch of pho restaurants in the greater Hartford area.  Is that one of the better ones?
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:25:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MC1974] [#37]
i have tried a few and its only one i go back to. pho501 it 501 main st east hartford.  spicy beef is only served saturday and they run out sometimes before lunch so go early or then u have to get regular beef. they also have shrimp or get them together beef/shrimp combo. sunday morning is chicken noodle soup also a really good one. open tues-sun. tues-fri beef/shrimp and spring rolls. once u try it there its like crack u will be back. best in the area. also if want to get it to go make sure u order it seperate and u will cook at home. then u broil the broth and assemble the soup yourself. this way it doesnt get soggy. only way to do it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:32:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks man I'll give it a shot.  That spicy beef calls to me and I love spring rolls.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#39]
spring rolls only weekdays......unfortunately
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:42:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Typhoid70] [#40]
Originally Posted By conndcj:

I've never had pho and really want to try it.  That spicy beef one looks awesome.  There's a bunch of pho restaurants in the greater Hartford area.  Is that one of the better ones?
View All Quotes

<a href="http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/mcorentin/media/PHO_zpsbcevo0mb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg567/mcorentin/PHO_zpsbcevo0mb.jpg</a>

Not just by my own tastes, but the tastes of 2nd generation Vietnamese Americans, yes.

But you have to get there early sat for spicy beef.  They usually sell out by 11.   Sunday is chicken, and same story.  Out by 11.  Keep in mind that Pho is a breakfast food in Vietnamese cusine.

Also be forewarned that 501 serves one thing.   Beef pho.  (Spicy beef And chicken are on the menu sat and Sunday respectively).  They will add shrimp to the beef pho.   They also have all sorts of weird peppers and meat looking things that the Vietnamese customers order off their secret Menu.   But the dish doesn't change.   They do offer spring rolls as well.

My suggestion for you djc, venture in during normal hours.   Large beef,  iced coffee (this is important), ask for extra lime slices, some fish sauce, and birdshead peppers, and water.    When the bowl comes, squeeze  lime into bowl (toss rind in bowl), fish sauce (don't smell it, this is important) break the peppers up and add to bowl (don't pick your nose for remainder of day), skip the basil, toss the sprouts on top, add siracha and go to town.   Take the little dish on the side and add that purple hoisin sauce and siracha to that.  When you get to a strip of beef, fish it out and run it through the hoisin/siracha dip.   When the sweat beads start rolling, reach for the iced coffee, it's magical.   You will leave feeling like Jesus on cocaine.

I'm there at least once a week.  They hooked me up this Sunday after closing hours and made sure I had the last bowl of the day.  But I will assure you that I won't be there at the same time as you.  And if I do happen to spot you, I promise I won't make it awkward.. I'll just blend in with the Pratt Rats as best as a guy wearing Allen Edmonds can do.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:50:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MC1974] [#41]
why fish out the raw ask for a extra side of raw meat and add the spice to it.  then eat that as a side dish do it every time. so good
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:53:22 PM EDT
[#42]
why fish out the raw ask for a extra side of raw meat and add the spice to it.  then eat that as a side dish do it every time. so good
View Quote

Because I used to watch grandma Vu cut the meat at one of the tables in the dining room while people ate at other tables.

I wish I was kidding.

But I'll still eat there.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:53:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Typhoid70] [#43]
View Quote

Because I used to watch grandma Vu slice the meat at one of the tables in the dining room while people ate at other tables..

I wish I was kidding

But I'll still eat there.  But I'll stick to Michilin listed joints for tartare.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:57:05 PM EDT
[#44]
My vote goes to Pho99. Peter is the man.

Lobster Pho. Yyyep.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:25:38 AM EDT
[#45]

Not just by my own tastes, but the tastes of 2nd generation Vietnamese Americans, yes.

But you have to get there early sat for spicy beef.  They usually sell out by 11.   Sunday is chicken, and same story.  Out by 11.  Keep in mind that Pho is a breakfast food in Vietnamese cusine.

Also be forewarned that 501 serves one thing.   Beef pho.  (Spicy beef And chicken are on the menu sat and Sunday respectively).  They will add shrimp to the beef pho.   They also have all sorts of weird peppers and meat looking things that the Vietnamese customers order off their secret Menu.   But the dish doesn't change.   They do offer spring rolls as well.

My suggestion for you djc, venture in during normal hours.   Large beef,  iced coffee (this is important), ask for extra lime slices, some fish sauce, and birdshead peppers, and water.    When the bowl comes, squeeze  lime into bowl (toss rind in bowl), fish sauce (don't smell it, this is important) break the peppers up and add to bowl (don't pick your nose for remainder of day), skip the basil, toss the sprouts on top, add siracha and go to town.   Take the little dish on the side and add that purple hoisin sauce and siracha to that.  When you get to a strip of beef, fish it out and run it through the hoisin/siracha dip.   When the sweat beads start rolling, reach for the iced coffee, it's magical.   You will leave feeling like Jesus on cocaine.

I'm there at least once a week.  They hooked me up this Sunday after closing hours and made sure I had the last bowl of the day.  But I will assure you that I won't be there at the same time as you.  And if I do happen to spot you, I promise I won't make it awkward.. I'll just blend in with the Pratt Rats as best as a guy wearing Allen Edmonds can do.

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#46]

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg567/mcorentin/PHO_zpsbcevo0mb.jpg
View Quote

Is raw beef on the menu? Do you add the siracha or do you order it that way?

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Not on the menu. Just one of the things u can order that they will get u. If u order it make sure u tell them it's an extra side of raw meat. Once they misunderstood stood and put all the meat from the soup on the side. So if u want it make sure u say an extra side of raw meat not replacing meat in the soup. I think it 5 dollars more. So worth it  then I put the siracha on it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Sounds great. Anything else off menu that's a must try?

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:53:07 AM EDT
[#49]
They use oxtail in the making of their pho and if u hit just right u can have an ox tail soup instead of beef or shrimp. I have yet to try it but one of these days I will. I saw someone there with it and it looked good.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:56:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for the info, I will need to get over there soon.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 164
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top