Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2016 1:48:50 PM EDT
I live in NOVA and my sister lives down in Chesapeake. She has a few acres of land which she has horses and a few small farm animals. She calls me up last night while I was out and left me voice mail to bring every gun I have because coyotes have been killing her chickens almost nightly since the beginning of the month. She doesn't own any firearms and is working on protecting the chicken coop better but doesn't have enough time with her business in full swing this time of the year. She's been in the area 15+ years and never had a problem before. I'll be going down there this coming weekend just to visit and help her with a new coop but I figured why not use this as an excuse to shoot stuff and bring her over to the fun side of life.

I was looking online at hunting permits but It's a lot to take in and i have no idea where to even start. is it even legal for me to bring an AR15 down there, set up shop in her barn and hope one comes on by? her property layout is ideal for sitting up in the barn that over looks the chicken coop 50 yards away.

basically the questions I need answered are below, just trying to cover all my bases.

Do I need a state hunting permit?
Do I need a special Coyote Permit?
Are there tag limits?
Do I need anything else paperwork wise?

Can I use my AR15?
Is there a magazine size limitation?
Can I use my suppressor?

Can i use scents or calls to lure them back if needed? Are they worth my time and money? what is the difference between that and baiting?

any and all advice on killing these things ruining my sister's day will be appreciated!

Thank you for helping me out!
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm gonna tell you this right off the bat, hunting with a rifle is not allowed in Chesapeake. That being said, I'm sure a few calls with questions and concerns about the well being of livestock to the DGIF or State Police will get you the answers you need I'm sure. If it's a predator issue and it's causing damage, then I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to use an AR, as long as it's in the "Part of Chesapeake that is populated by Corn Fields and 18 wheeler size ditches"

Now when deer hunting (dog driving primarily), I see hunters with shot coyotes all the time, but where I hunt only Shotgun is allowed to hunt, (mostly because the big dog driving hunt clubs have the county supervisors by the balls about not wanting rifles to hunt deer with).

IF I recall, they had a bounty on them at some point, don't know if it slipped or its still in effect, but like a said, a few phone calls are bound to get you the answers you need.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't tell you about local laws, but in the state of VA it's open season year around on private land, you can use electronic calls, and can use scent to attract them.  You can use your suppressor, your AR, no mag limit, and night vision helps.  A partner goes a long ways to help so let me know

All dependent on Chesapeake's laws, I found these:

When 100 yds. from a road and elevated from a stand 15 ft. above ground a ri e may be used to hunt big game east of the Dismal Swamp line.

It is unlawful to discharge any  rearms, spring propelled ri e or pistol, or air- propelled ri e or pistol from, on, across or within 150 yards of any city building, dwelling, street, sidewalk, alley, roadway or public place within the city limits: check local county/city ordinances.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/local-ordinances.pdf
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#3]
spring propelled ri e or pistol, or air- propelled ri e or pistol
View Quote

Should be OBE with the recent state law changes.
As long as your take precautions to keep the projectiles on your own land.

Check the rifle rules very carefully.  They may only apply to 'big game.'
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#4]
If you get more info as to what you are able to do about the problem and the approved solution is to shoot them, shoot me a message, i'd be more than happy to come help, I'm right in Chesapeake myself (West Chesapeake that is, Bowers Hill area).
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the info guys. i'll have to make a few calls during the week. i'll get back to you guys when i find out more info on everything.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Gotta tag this one.. My brother is having the same issue on 24 acres in Suffolk.  Working on a plan to get out there for a long weekend and clean house.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm gonna tell you this right off the bat, hunting with a rifle is not allowed in Chesapeake...
View Quote

anywhere you can point this out to me? I haven't come across this in the last few hours i've been reading up on this stuff.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:47:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

anywhere you can point this out to me? I haven't come across this in the last few hours i've been reading up on this stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm gonna tell you this right off the bat, hunting with a rifle is not allowed in Chesapeake...

Disregard what I posted, i believe its been changed, i was under the impression that anything east of greenville county on the NC line was not allowed to hunt with a rifle.........must just be southampton then....which wouldnt surprise me one bit -__-

anyway, firearms ordnance are here:
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/local-ordinances.pdf
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Coyote

Season:

Continuous open season except on National Forest lands and Department lands. Coyote hunting on National Forest lands and Department lands is permitted from September 1 through March 10 and during the spring turkey season. Coyotes may also be hunted on Department lands during the spring squirrel season unless otherwise posted (see area listings for spring squirrel season).

Coyote Bounty Law

Coyote bounties are not administered by DGIF. Counties have the option of establishing their own coyote bounty system. For more information, hunters and trappers should contact their County Administrator or County Board of Supervisors.
View Quote

You can hunt coyote all year long on private land.

I would point out when Virginia regulations call out "big game" I believe this specifically means Deer, Bear and Turkey (species where tags are issued).  

I would call the DGIF to clarify, but I believe you could hunt coyotes with a rifle on private land year round (assuming you are far enough from roads, buildings, etc. to discharge a firearm).
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I would point out when Virginia regulations call out "big game" I believe this specifically means Deer, Bear and Turkey (species where tags are issued).  

I would call the DGIF to clarify, but I believe you could hunt coyotes with a rifle on private land year round (assuming you are far enough from roads, buildings, etc. to discharge a firearm).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Coyote

Season:

Continuous open season except on National Forest lands and Department lands. Coyote hunting on National Forest lands and Department lands is permitted from September 1 through March 10 and during the spring turkey season. Coyotes may also be hunted on Department lands during the spring squirrel season unless otherwise posted (see area listings for spring squirrel season).

Coyote Bounty Law

Coyote bounties are not administered by DGIF. Counties have the option of establishing their own coyote bounty system. For more information, hunters and trappers should contact their County Administrator or County Board of Supervisors.

IIRC, a few years ago the head of DGIF basically said, "If you've got a safe shot anywhere and anytime on a coyote, take it."
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#11]
This thread makes me want to go coyote hunting. I'm in isle of wight and would use my AR. I have seen a couple but it's been early in the morning on the way to work.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#12]
the more I'm reading up on it, it seems that I just need written permission from my sister, and the land owner who backs up against her property in case the bullet travels onto his land as well. luckily my sister called me back and said were good to go with her neighbor. He said he's been meaning to go get some of them as he's been having issues as well with his pets, so he's glad someone can help take care of the problem. He also mentioned to be sure it's a coyote because Red Wolves have been making a comeback to the area and if I accidentally take one of those I'm royally screwed. i'll have to post pictures if i get lucky this weekend!

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Use #4 buckshot or lead B or BB shot.  They move a lot.  If she only has a few acres you wont be shooting much more than 50 yards.  Watch the wind direction carefully.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This thread makes me want to go coyote hunting. I'm in isle of wight and would use my AR. I have seen a couple but it's been early in the morning on the way to work.
View Quote

Between River Run Rd, Thomas Woods Rd, and Tucker Swamp Rd I see them ALL the time......infact lets just include all of 603 is coyote country, from 258 in windsor to Ivor rd lol
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:44:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Between River Run Rd, Thomas Woods Rd, and Tucker Swamp Rd I see them ALL the time......infact lets just include all of 603 is coyote country, from 258 in windsor to Ivor rd lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in zuni. the ones I seen were on fire tower road

Ive never hunted them before. What's the best way to call these assholes in?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:46:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Turn the hunting dogs lose, thats how. Sometimes I'll go when they are running a farm on River Run, most of the time I see one it's running from the dogs out in the open, or it's back tracking in the woods when you are trying to chase the dogs down before they cross the blackwater into southampton

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:10:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Damn, I've never seen one get chased during deer season. Most of the time it's a fox or a turkey if it's not a deer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#18]
MY old brother had one run right to him a few years back, I had one last year back track when I went in the brush after a deer and decided to wait till someone brought me a dog to track it with. I mean you wont see them all the time, but eventually you will, and most of the time they will be closer then you think
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Took this one last year during deer season in Lucketts:

Oh and fuck all coyotes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#20]
It's good to kill yotes when given the opportunity.  I'll shoot and trap a few, that said, I've noticed when they showed up on my land a few years back the ground nesting bird populations began to increase some.  Ground nest raiders like possums, skunks, coons and even a few fox are removed from the area and yotes hunt a much larger area, so nesting areas aren't hunted as hard.  When yote populations get high they will become more aggressive and venture into more urban areas.  Hunting yotes also maintains a healthy fear of man.  Two years ago, we killed 6 yotes while hunting, but haven't killed any since even though they are still around...they learn your game and adapt quick.  

A previous poster mentioned the red wolf.  I knew there was an experimental population in Northeastern NC and it is possible they or their hybrid coy-wolves are in Virginia.  It may explain some the larger yotes and color differences, especially a few very dark or black specimens that exist in the red wolf genetics.  Usually, however, red wolves look very much like a large coyote.  I'm curious how protection/enforcement is done and just how much interbreeding is happening.  My understanding is most credit coy wolves with gray wolf interbreeding coming down from the Michigan peninsula despite the proximity of the reds.  Note:  Red wolves were once native here and all over the South East.

VA Red Wolf Link

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Do I need a state hunting permit? yes, small game only
Do I need a special Coyote Permit? no.
Are there tag limits? No, coyote is considered a pest/nuisance species. No bag limit, no day restrictions or hour restrictions. I prefer to hunt at night. Bring a good red spotlight. 9-10pm is best, depending on the local feeding cycle in your area.
Do I need anything else paperwork wise?No, unless claiming a bounty. This will be specific to the locality.

Can I use my AR15? Absolutely! I always take an AR and a 12 gauge with a turkey choke, filled with turkey loads.
Is there a magazine size limitation? Nope!
Can I use my suppressor? Absolutely!

Can i use scents or calls to lure them back if needed? Yes
Are they worth my time and money?
Yes. Calls especially. Get a cheap electric call (I got one from Rizzo on this forum a few years back - excellent info in the Outdoors/Small Game and Trapping/ section), and get one hand call to start with. Learn a single call at first: the wounded rabbit. The rest will come later. You'll have more success at first using wounded game calls than coyote barks or howls.

Scent control is very important too. Whether you need a lure scent is another thing, but you definitely need to control your own scent. Coyotes are, for lack of a better term, very wily. Some folks have good success with moving decoys.

what is the difference between that and baiting? Legality. Baiting deer is illegal. But baiting coyotes is legal. Many people use deer guts/carcasses, dead cattle, or other nastiness. The nastier and smellier, the better. The only thing you can't bait a coyote with is a live animal.

any and all advice on killing these things ruining my sister's day will be appreciated!

Thank you for helping me out! Good luck! You may really come to enjoy hunting the hunter. It's quite a thrill.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:27:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I was in a gun store in Strasburg yesterday and the guy at the counter mentioned killing a coyote that very morning when he was hunting turkey.  I didn't know they were that far north.

hmmm.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I was in a gun store in Strasburg yesterday and the guy at the counter mentioned killing a coyote that very morning when he was hunting turkey.  I didn't know they were that far north.

hmmm.
View Quote

Coyotes in recent years have been sighted on the Eastern Shore.....they really could show up anywhere.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#24]
No luck with the coyotes :(

It rained most of the weekend and we threw out some crap meat from the Butcher and it went untouched. I told my sister I've been wanting to invest in a trail camera so I'll get one of those and send it down to her soon. I was leaning towards the moultrie m-1100i with the moultrie solar panel for power?

Also can anyone recommend a good coyote call/injured rabbit Call? Which brand to lean towards which ones to stay away from? I was very unprepared as I only had a week until I left for the trip and was working the entire time.

And lastly night vision. Is the ATN X-Sight II worth the price. I know nothing of night vision but ATN looks to be a respected company from what little time I looked into it. It seems that they are just sending them out now which is fine I'm in no rush providing I get it by the end of summer.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:26:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I would be very very careful about shooting a rifle inside the city limits. Chesapeake and VB have lots of rural parts but they are still cities. Not only would I call up the local game warden and double check regulations I would call up CPD to double check city regulations. If they give the green light I would still use a suppressed AR.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:47:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

hmmm.
View Quote

coyotes are everywhere.  Pa. is full of them.  not like pigs, they can survive in the cold,

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:03:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I would be very very careful about shooting a rifle inside the city limits. Chesapeake and VB have lots of rural parts but they are still cities. Not only would I call up the local game warden and double check regulations I would call up CPD to double check city regulations. If they give the green light I would still use a suppressed AR.

Good luck!
View Quote

Generally municipalities may address gun usage through state laws pertaining to discharge in public places or reckless use.  Typically if municipalities take it a step further for private land it is often via hunting restrictions.  Just remember coyote are not game animals and you are not hunting, it's nuisance removal.  The problem with cold calling some desk jockey is it is way too easy to be misinformed or get an inaccurate CYA response.  I'd research the local gun laws, perhaps print out all the ordinances and if there is no law addressing the discharge of firearms on private land, let it be.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#28]
My understanding in Chesapeake is 100 yards from a dwelling, 100 yards from a road, rounds impacting on your property
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My understanding in Chesapeake is 100 yards from a dwelling, 100 yards from a road, rounds impacting on your property
View Quote

A landowner can shoot a coyote on their property for any reason, anytime, and anyhow.  You don't need to seek permission from anybody, just as if it was a rabid coon, or a critter messing with your animals.  Again, this is not hunting.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I was replying to the guy that asked if it was even legal to shoot on ones property in Chesapeake.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:33:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Good friend sighted one in Catlett/Nokesville a week ago.  I have personally heard them from my house in Nokesville and I do know what  they sound like.  I need to get a wounded rabbit call and get my 22-250 threaded for suppression.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

A landowner can shoot a coyote on their property for any reason, anytime, and anyhow.  You don't need to seek permission from anybody, just as if it was a rabid coon, or a critter messing with your animals.  Again, this is not hunting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just to make sure folks understand the difference between Hunting laws, and Shooting laws.  Sometimes it is legal to Hunt, but not legal to Shoot in a specific location, such as in the middle of a town.  Need to always look at both sets of regulations and make sure you're safe.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Just to make sure folks understand the difference between Hunting laws, and Shooting laws.  Sometimes it is legal to Hunt, but not legal to Shoot in a specific location, such as in the middle of a town.  Need to always look at both sets of regulations and make sure you're safe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's that distinction, but what we are really getting at is reckless use. Our gun laws recognize that there maybe a valid reason to shoot, and it's not just invading armed bad guys.  A threat to you, family,others or property may allow the use of a firearm.   People in towns all over VA shoot vermin in town limits.  It's not hunting, nor is it target shooting. A guy in a midsized town near me only got charged for shooting a rabid coon, b/c he also hit his neighbor with shot.  His charge wasn't the discharge of a firearm on a sub acre lot in the middle of town, but the reckless use of a firearm. Always be safe; shooting vermin in congested areas may not be a good idea, but unless you live in certain HOAs or some other forsaken shit hole, most of us have that right.  It seems like the OP did due diligence and the PD is assumed reasonable.  I wonder how many people forgo their rights out of fear?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#34]
I live in Chesapeake, people shoot every weekend,  you cannot stand outside on a Saturday or Sunday and not hear small arms fire all day.  pistol, rifle, form 3, you name it.  know your back drop.  The police will come if called, and if they think you are being safe they will leave.  Coyotes are on the rise here, I am seeing more, so are others. that said everybody around here has chickens and they are doing fine also.

The interpretation of near a building is where its gets sticky.  Sometimes they consider sheds etc to be that.  others don't.  If you pop a couple shots and only kill a coyote, nothing will ever happen.  

AR with a can you should be GTG.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm in SE Virginia Beach and it has been a few years since I have seen a coyote around here. However, last night my neighbor calls, it seems as he was headed out (around 9:45pm) he sees a coyote run across the street and into the farmers field that is behind our houses.  He wants me to make sure my chickens are in their coop.  I hit the flood lights and did not see anything but lurked in the garage for about 45 minutes anyway. I have not renewed my hunting license but I guess that is on the list of things to do today.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

hmmm.
View Quote

The one I killed was in Lucketts.
Top Top