Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2015 5:32:11 PM EDT
I guess this is apparently expected when you drive an aerodynamic brick.  The Safelite guy says he replaces Wrangler windshields weekly.

I have excellent insurance (USAA) but my deductible is $500, which is slightly more than a new windshield (high $400's).  So, USAA sets up the appt. but I pay because there is no need to dick with my claims history.

Is Safelite pretty much my best bet again?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#3]
If you call and talk to them yourself you can usually get a lower price. The window on my 4runner cracked this past winter, and when USAA made the appointment they quoted us like $425, when we called ourselves the quote was $350, and we ended up talking them down to $275.

I suspect that USAA is getting Kickbacks from safelight for making the appointments.

Crappy part about when  my windshield cracked is that it cracked right through a chip that had been repaired like 3 months earlier by Safelight, but apparently the guarantee that comes with a crack repair is that the money that your insurance paid for the repair is refunded, not that they will pay for the windshield. So that's a little deceiving as well .
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Ahhh. Very interesting. I'll call them direct and see if I can get a price quite without mentioning insurance and see what they say.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:36:44 PM EDT
[#5]
send me a pm

when you call that 800 number your actually talking to safelite , the SGC glass network

if you do use safelite request a non SGC windshield , preferably a pilkington or ppg brand for aftermarket or if you're going through your insurance and have a newer car request oem glass.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:21:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you call and talk to them yourself you can usually get a lower price. The window on my 4runner cracked this past winter, and when USAA made the appointment they quoted us like $425, when we called ourselves the quote was $350, and we ended up talking them down to $275.

I suspect that USAA is getting Kickbacks from safelight for making the appointments.

Crappy part about when  my windshield cracked is that it cracked right through a chip that had been repaired like 3 months earlier by Safelight, but apparently the guarantee that comes with a crack repair is that the money that your insurance paid for the repair is refunded, not that they will pay for the windshield. So that's a little deceiving as well .
View Quote

what they get in "kickbacks" is safelite runs the call center and takes all their glass claim calls , they schedule themselves a very high percentage of those calls.  it's not just usaa , any insurance company that gives you an 800 number to call for glass claims is part of the SGC network.  some even give it a fancy name like nationwide's , "blue ribbon glass program".

a couple of decades ago i managed the first call center in the area for safelite , the stories i could tell you  

safelite did offer a road hazzard warranty for a while , that program didn't last long.

for a good reference ask your local dealer or the dealer where you bought your car from who they use for glass work.  a good dealership usually has their "guy" and if he's doing their work he's prob pretty good.  dealerships hate comebacks from subcontractor's.   the guy who services the dealership also prob uses better glass and materials than safelite or "the cheapest guy in town"

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:15:11 AM EDT
[#7]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Thanks! for the information 1iviper, bookmarked for the next time I have a crack in the windshield.

@ Lowcash.  USAA allows the comprehensive-deductible to be a different value than that for collision.  Check your coverage at the web-site, and play with the options.  As shown below, I've got a $0 deductible for comprehensive ($500 for collision) ... paying $30 annually (or so) for the $0 deductible.  While it's been several years since I have had to replace a windshield, I believe it's road-debris here in NoVa that exacerbates the problem, and the $30 per car each year seems to be a good bet.  (Four windshields replaced, 3 SUV and 1 van, and three chips -- I repaired myself using one of those auto-parts-store kits back when my deductible was higher -- during the 30 years I've lived here.)

I'm loathe to even hint at committing insurance fraud.  So I won't.  

But I will observe, that it's a shame you didn't reassess your coverage prior to the most recent windshield crack.  Then you'd have saved some money (knowing that it's a high likelihood event).  Had this happened, instead of being concerned now, you could have simply waited until sometime before your next safety inspection to make the repair (when most convenient for you).  

While USAA provides the cost info, they don't 'up-sell' the benefits of reducing the deductible for residents in areas like NoVa.  (They up-sell lots of other coverage.)  To my recall I upped the cost (lowered the deductible to $0) somewhere around two or three windshields (7-10 years) ago. Here's what I pay:  

(Edited, mostly to fix the coverage/costs about which I originally guessed.)
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 4:17:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I guess this is apparently expected when you drive an aerodynamic brick.  The Safelite guy says he replaces Wrangler windshields weekly.

I have excellent insurance (USAA) but my deductible is $500, which is slightly more than a new windshield (high $400's).  So, USAA sets up the appt. but I pay because there is no need to dick with my claims history.

Is Safelite pretty much my best bet again?
View Quote

Are you sure?  I don't recall the deductible applying to glass coverage.  How they don't lose their ass on windshields in VA is beyond me... damn filthy roads.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:39:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Have your insurance CHANGED ASAP!  $0 Deductible for glass only adds a few dollars a year to almost all policies.  In this area it is an ABSOLUTE NEED, especially for anyone that travels the I95 corridor.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#10]
yep.
should have stayed with a Jeep with a flat windshield!!  

j/k. -- JKU Rubis ROCK!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#11]
duh....
is this a double tap?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#12]
To clarify, I don't know if I've got glass coverage or not or a $0 whatchamacallit.  I have an agreement with my wife, I make the cash - you pay the bills.  It's worked great for 15 years, but I don't know the specifics of my coverage, so I'll go ask her.  

Maybe this is all covered then and I somehow screwed up and paid last time?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
yep.
should have stayed with a Jeep with a flat windshield!!  

j/k. -- JKU Rubis ROCK!!
View Quote

Oh come on now, Jeep's don't have four doors and you know it.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:15:45 AM EDT
[#14]
You should be able to adjust your policy to cover glass with no deductible. Our State Farm policy allows for one windshield per vehicle, per year, with no out of pocket cost to us.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:53:34 AM EDT
[#15]
That's what I hate about living here in NC, NC doesn't have the Auto Glass Laws like most states(FL for example, the insurance is required to replace broken/cracked windshields at no expense to the owner in just about every case but damage that you cause yourself)
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 1:12:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't recall the deductible applying to glass coverage.  How they don't lose their ass on windshields in VA is beyond me... damn filthy roads.
View Quote

In addition to highlighting the states where the deductible applies, the picture shows the monthly cost for a $500- and $250-deductible for the purposes of comparison.  The equivalent to 'free glass replacement' costs a whopping $12 per year at USAA for VA-domiciled insureds.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Fuck Safelite!     They did $1700 in damages to my previous truck when replacing the back window...
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Just an FYI:
I currently have comprehensive / collision at $500 / $500

NAPALMSTICKS  -  I am planning on going camping this weekend and will be taking unimproved and fire roads through a national forest in Virginia. If I get into a collision in an "offroad" circumstance in the woods would this be covered under my current insurance?

USAA  -  To answer your question, yes, that type of a loss would be covered on your auto insurance policy.

NAPALMSTICKS  -  Excellent, I just figured I would ask before going out. I was also looking at reducing my deductible on the Hummer for "other that collision" coverage due to the fact that this vehicle is not parked in our garage.

USAA  -  Okay.  That can be changed online.  Would you like for me to show you how to do so, or would you prefer that I make that change for you?

NAPALMSTICKS  -   I can get it online. We have had bad storms lately and feel it might be worth reducing it. Would this cover things to include cracked windshilds, hail, storm damage, etc?

USAA  -  Correct

NAPALMSTSICKS  -  Excellent, I will look to see what changes I was to make in regards to that. Thank you for the assistance!

Changing my coverage for comprehensive to $0 deductible is $6.11 per month or $73 per year, I am changing it as I write this.

ETA: I didn't ask but flooding your vehicle out while off the beaten path I assume might also be covered under comprehensive as it specifies flooding. I figured if I asked they might flag me...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top