Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/27/2014 4:07:49 PM EDT
I have applied for a job in Arlington , not even sure I will land it but I am qualified . I figure I will at least land an interview. Tell me the good and bad areas to avoid . gun shops ?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#1]
It's fucking expensive and traffic is fucking awful.

I'd suggest doing a cost of living/salary comparison to make sure it's worth taking.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#2]
How about rents ? I don't have to live in Arlington I don't think .  I just did that . I will ask for more money although the range they gave me makes me okay . I am single with a dog .
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I know people spending about $1600 for a small one bedroom in a nice area near a Metro stop in Arlington. I used to pay $1k for a tiny efficiency in Old Town Alexandria.

There's some really nice areas to live and be near cool stuff and good places to eat, just make sure the salary really accounts for the COL
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I work in Arlington near the pentagon, live 27 miles away.  Commute is 1.5 hrs each way on a normal day.  Throw in some rain, an accident or metro problem and it gets longer real quickly.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:14:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I live in arlington. Rent runs a wide spectrum-if you're near a metro or a fun spot, you're going to pay. You're better off buying if it makes sense for you.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#6]
If you live and work in Arlington, your commute will be short. Rents vary depending on proximity to metro and age of the house or apartment, but it is certainly more expensive than most other areas in NOVA.  

The gun shop question made me laugh - there are definitely no gun shops in Arlington.  Guns would be completely illegal in Arlington if the Arlington County Board were allowed to set policy in that area (which they aren't - many thanks to VCDL and the General Assembly for that).  Arlington is about the most liberal place you will find in the state.  Open carry is extremely rare and when I got my CHP in Arlington in 2010, it was only permit number 610 or so that they had ever issued.

Aside from the cost of living and the communist infestation, its a nice place to live.  The food scene is good and there are a lot of good looking women if you're a young single guy.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I am not young but am single I am okay with living further away and driving but I would love to not have a brutal commute . I would expect to get a carry permit . I have one now . Tell me about vehicle inspections
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Inspection info: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.shtm

its more of a safety inspection (every year), lights, brakes, driver window, reasonable mechanical shape.  Not as hard as Maryland inspections, if you are going to live in most of NoVA, there is an emissions inspection every other year.  OBD-II its a hookup and no check engine lights or broken exhaust.  If there aren't any faults and normally run 100 miles or so, not a problem.  Pre ODB-II cars, VA uses a dyno for cars <25 years old.  After 25 years exempt.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I am not young but am single I am okay with living further away and driving but I would love to not have a brutal commute . I would expect to get a carry permit . I have one now . Tell me about vehicle inspections
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Question: what do you like to do in your off time? If you like being outdoors, living out West a bit might be better. If you like to go out, Arlington, Alexandria are good options.  

I've lived in almost every city in NoVA over the last 20 years...I personally prefer to live away from 66, because HOV prevents commuting on it during rush hour and the Orange line cars wedge you in like a sardine so many live off that line.  I like south off the Blue or Yellow, but everyone has their preferences.

Apparently Reston is the NEW BIG THING! for young urban singles, and the Silver line just opened.  But it's not going to be any less crowded than any other spot in NoVA.  The last stop (Wiehle) runs 45 mins to L'Enfant Plaza, according to the WMATA site (believe it when I see it).

This place has just exploded the last 10 years...it's f*ing ridiculous.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:40:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I have lived most of my live in the burbs around Detroit and I recently spent 7 months in Augusta, GA. A few weeks ago I moved to NoVA where I work in Arlington and live in Alexandria.

I have mentioned in a couple other threads but the cost of living here is about 30-35% higher than Detroit. Of that 35% about 90% is strictly housing. Other than housing most things here are not too much more than Detroit or Augusta. Groceries are only a few % points higher. Since I am military I get a housing allowance. These are often an indicator of high rent locations. In Augusta, GA my allowance was $1,440. In Detroit it is about $2,000. Here in NoVA it's $2,880. It's ridiculous that a house in a nice suburb of Detroit that costs $180,000 is a nearly three quarters of a million dollars here.

The traffic sucks bad. There really isn't a good fast way to get into Arlington. At least from where I live. I drive 8.5 miles to and from work. That round trip of 17 miles has me on the road for about 55-65 minutes a day. When I was in Michigan my 30 minute commute allowed me to travel 25 miles to work. That same time here allows me to travel that 8.5 miles in stop/go traffic. Overall the time isn't bad but the slow roll is.

Last week I took the Metro for the first time. This is something that I think is pretty awesome. Maybe people that have lived here all their lives will laugh but to me public transport has always been a foreign concept. I was able to walk to the Metro from my house and for a few bucks I visited Arlington National Cemetery for the first time in my life. It was a humbling experience but that was just a taste of what the area has to offer. I look forward to visiting all the sites during my stay here. Tomorrow after work I am taking the Metro to go see the Red Wings play the Capitals. How cool is that?...! I could never take public transport to a game in Detroit. I am amazed by all the things that are within reach of a short walk and train ride.

Overall I like it here so far. These threads pop up often here and I will be sure to chime in over the course of my tour. At the end of my current assignment I will have to make a decision to stay here long term or return to Michigan. Time will tell on that one.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I have emission inspections for my cars now . My truck is exempt here due to the GVW being over 8500 pounds.  No safety inspections here .  I would be working in Arlington . I am single not young . I like hunting, shooting all the standard stuff . I do enjoy the museums up there . My dad is buried at Arlington cemetery .  I used to have a 48 mile commute into Atlanta . Now I do a 20 on backroads away from the city .

How much trouble to get a CCW and sign offs ?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have emission inspections for my cars now . My truck is exempt here due to the GVW being over 8500 pounds.  No safety inspections here .  I would be working in Arlington . I am single not young . I like hunting, shooting all the standard stuff . I do enjoy the museums up there . My dad is buried at Arlington cemetery .  I used to have a 48 mile commute into Atlanta . Now I do a 20 on backroads away from the city .

How much trouble to get a CCW and sign offs ?
View Quote

CHPs are no problem... shall issue state with strong State preemption laws, although Arlington really resents having to give them out (libtard central).  Fairfax County will take up the entire 45 days they're allowed to issue them.  NFA stuff - generally not a problem - see the sticky.  MGs have to be registered with the State Police.

Join VCDL.  Promise to never vote Democrat.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:24:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I used to live in south Arlington right across from Henderson Hall (columbia pike)

Everything is crowded in that area and its super expensive. Basic chores like going to walmart (closest one is in springfield) are a major pain in the ass but the night  life is good.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:52:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Learn Spanish, or Korean, or Arabic...
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:39:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Arlington is a great place to live. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you are looking at specific areas and want some feedback.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Tell me about the machine gun registration . Is it just machine guns or is it all of my tax stamps ?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Just machine guns.  http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_MachineGun.shtm

Quoted:
Tell me about the machine gun registration . Is it just machine guns or is it all of my tax stamps ?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I went to the link tell me about switchblades in VA. ?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Illegal to carry one. (unless you're a cop)  Illegal to sell, and possession is construed as intent to sell.

This will answer your questions: https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:04:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have applied for a job in Arlington , not even sure I will land it but I am qualified . I figure I will at least land an interview. Tell me the good and bad areas to avoid . gun shops ?
View Quote

I moved out here (Fairfax county) earlier this year, this question interests me the most. I need to find a decent FFL.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:20:00 AM EDT
[#22]
FFLs - VA Arms, Nova Armament, Sharpshooters, Blue Ridge, Sterling Arsenal.  In PWC, Quantico Tactical, All Shooters Tactical.  There are also smaller tabletop FFLs.

Quoted:

I moved out here (Fairfax county) earlier this year, this question interests me the most. I need to find a decent FFL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:21:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
FFLs - VA Arms, Nova Armament, Sharpshooters, Blue Ridge, Sterling Arsenal.  In PWC, Quantico Tactical, All Shooters Tactical.  There are also smaller tabletop FFLs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

VA Arms (actually in Manassas, so PWC) are really good guys with a good selection of stuff.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quantico tactical is gtg ,  Any other weapons besides switchblades that are issues ?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#25]
§ 18.2-308. Carrying concealed weapons; exceptions; penalty.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature. It shall be an affirmative defense to a violation of clause (i) regarding a handgun, that a person had been issued, at the time of the offense, a valid concealed handgun permit.

Quoted:
Quantico tactical is gtg ,  Any other weapons besides switchblades that are issues ?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:03:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
§ 18.2-308. Carrying concealed weapons; exceptions; penalty.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection,
View Quote

So basically, if you're a ninja... you should consider seeking employment/living arrangements elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Well no Ninja work for me . I assume a Mace is no go as well .
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hmmmm...  You may have found a loophole.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:41:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always try to think outside the box .
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:16:43 AM EDT
[#30]
It's funny how much different NOVA is from the rest of the state. I got my ccw in 20 days and the renewal came in 6 days. The state inspection is a statewide thing but not the emissions testing. I'm in Fluvanna County which is down near Charlottesville. We don't do emissions tests here. My 13 mile commute takes me 15 minutes with no traffic to speak of at 6am. I still rarely see open carry though. There's just too many fucking people in nova, but that's where the money is at. I like my town of 45K people just fine.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's funny how much different NOVA is from the rest of the state. I got my ccw in 20 days and the renewal came in 6 days. The state inspection is a statewide thing but not the emissions testing. I'm in Fluvanna County which is down near Charlottesville. We don't do emissions tests here. My 13 mile commute takes me 15 minutes with no traffic to speak of at 6am. I still rarely see open carry though. There's just too many fucking people in nova, but that's where the money is at. I like my town of 45K people just fine.
View Quote

Yeah... that emissions crap is something we can thank the EPA for.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I lived in Arltingtoon for many years.
It is not referred to as 'The Peoples Democratic Republic of Arlington' without reason.
It is a loony left place.

It was a shock to 'The Powers that be' when an independent made it onto the County Board.

Between million dollar bus stops, multi million 'aquatic centers,' and street level trolley proposals it is the home of liberal spending run crazy.

Even if you rent, the exorbitant property taxes are in your rent.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I am thinking I would buy elsewhere if I buy . Maybe rent there if the job works out
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#35]

NFA-  Arlington county will sign, but it requires more paperwork and a visit to your home by an officer.  Or at least it did a few years ago.

The bike trails are actually a good way to get around if you can make it work.  I bike commute into DC a couple times a week, and the VA part of the ride is way nicer.

Property tax on vehicles.  It is...considerable.

Good luck.  If you need anything scouted out just say so.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:38:00 AM EDT
[#36]
How considerable on vehicles ? I own 2-3 cars a car trailer and a truck .  I figured I would only bring 1 car to start with .
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 2:15:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How considerable on vehicles ? I own 2-3 cars a car trailer and a truck .  I figured I would only bring 1 car to start with .
View Quote

$5/$100 assessed value.  Guess who assesses the value.

There is some amount of "tax relief" from the State, so you don't really pay all that.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#38]
I've lived in Arlington for the past 9 years. I own so I don't know much about the current level of rents but it will likely be more than you are used to. Route 50 (aka Arlington Blvd) bisects Arlington. North of that is mostly white and expensive. There are plenty of rental places along the Rosslyn to Ballston corridor for a single person. Expect to pay a premium to be along the Metro line there. There are also some places off Lee Hwy that may be worth looking into. Nightlife is pretty decent and lots of singles live in the area.

South Arlington has some seedy parts, I would not live anywhere west of Glebe Road. South Arlington is where most of the immigrant and minority population lives. The upper parts of Columbia Pike have some new rentals that are decent and there is good bus service to the Pentagon/Metro. If you are not going to live close in then I'd consider Fairfax instead of the fringes of Arlington.

Any other questions let me know, I'll be glad to help.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

NFA-  Arlington county will sign, but it requires more paperwork and a visit to your home by an officer.  Or at least it did a few years ago.

The bike trails are actually a good way to get around if you can make it work.  I bike commute into DC a couple times a week, and the VA part of the ride is way nicer.

Property tax on vehicles.  It is...considerable.

Good luck.  If you need anything scouted out just say so.

View Quote

The trails are one nice thing about that area: you could bike from Arlington to Pittsburgh if you wanted to  and hike from great falls to occoquan.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Depends on new vs older vehicles:  

http://taxes.arlingtonva.us/vehicles/tax-relief/

Qualifying Conventional Fuel Vehicles (personal) will receive:

A 100 percent tax relief on the first $3,000 of the vehicle’s value
   A 29 percent tax relief on the next $17,000 of the vehicle’s value, from $3,001-$20,000
   No tax exemption for the portion of a vehicle’s assessed value over $20,000

Quoted:

There is some amount of "tax relief" from the State, so you don't really pay all that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#41]
That is a stiff vehicle tax . How much are annual tags ?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Usually around $42 for the plate/yearly date sticker.  $16 annual safety inspection.  $32 for bi-annual emissions inspection (depends on county if its required)  Most NoVA counties yes, thanks EPA

Can sometimes get a lifetime trailer plate for $100, annual inspection depends on if it has brake/hauling capacity.

Quoted:
That is a stiff vehicle tax . How much are annual tags ?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:31:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've lived in Arlington for the past 9 years. I own so I don't know much about the current level of rents but it will likely be more than you are used to. Route 50 (aka Arlington Blvd) bisects Arlington. North of that is mostly white and expensive. There are plenty of rental places along the Rosslyn to Ballston corridor for a single person. Expect to pay a premium to be along the Metro line there. There are also some places off Lee Hwy that may be worth looking into. Nightlife is pretty decent and lots of singles live in the area.

South Arlington has some seedy parts, I would not live anywhere west of Glebe Road. South Arlington is where most of the immigrant and minority population lives. The upper parts of Columbia Pike have some new rentals that are decent and there is good bus service to the Pentagon/Metro. If you are not going to live close in then I'd consider Fairfax instead of the fringes of Arlington.

Any other questions let me know, I'll be glad to help.
View Quote

This is a really good summary, but I also live on the edge of one of those seedier areas.  Many of them are gentrifying and are a good way to get into something inside the beltway for relatively cheap.  

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#44]
I live south of 50 as well so no judgement. With the OP being single it probably isn't a big deal where he goes as long as he stays out of Nauck. Having a wife and small kids I'm leery of some of those neighborhoods south on Columbia Pike. If you subscribe to the Arlington Police crime report you'll notice that a fair amount of crimes against persons are actually in north Arlington along that Rosslyn to Ballston corridor, so go figure. I've never been taken with Crystal City or Shirlington but obviously some people like those spots. We looked at some places in Fairlington as well. Delray in Alexandria would also be a transitional neighborhood to consider.

Arlington Now is a decent way to keep track of the goings on in the area and to laugh at the busybody liberals posting shit like "watch out for the squirrels while driving!"

http://www.arlnow.com/
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#45]

It sounds like I'm just south of you.  In seven years I've heard of a rape on the bike trail, and seen one case of MS-13 graffiti, also on the bike trail, and both of those were earlier more than recent.  In that time the demographic here has noticeably shifted from immigrant and black to military and professional.  My next door neighbors are a couple of MDs and a nurse.  

And OP, the most troublesome of our neighbors (nice people though they were, good Lord the drama) just moved out, so....  

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks again guys . I will wait and see what happens
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I live south of 50 as well so no judgement. With the OP being single it probably isn't a big deal where he goes as long as he stays out of Nauck. Having a wife and small kids I'm leery of some of those neighborhoods south on Columbia Pike. If you subscribe to the Arlington Police crime report you'll notice that a fair amount of crimes against persons are actually in north Arlington along that Rosslyn to Ballston corridor, so go figure. I've never been taken with Crystal City or Shirlington but obviously some people like those spots. We looked at some places in Fairlington as well. Delray in Alexandria would also be a transitional neighborhood to consider.

Arlington Now is a decent way to keep track of the goings on in the area and to laugh at the busybody liberals posting shit like "watch out for the squirrels while driving!"

View Quote

I think your neighborhood assessments are a few years out of date.  Delray is not transitional; it has gourmet pizza, dog ice cream, and pregnant yoga.  Its officially yuppified and has been for several years now.  You won't find any homes or rentals at a reasonable price anywhere within walking distance of Delray.

As for Nauck, I'll spot you that its got its share of the Section 8 crowd and English speakers are definitely not the majority, but I never had a problem in four years living there on South Nelson St. - and I made 100K profit on my house when I sold it a few months ago.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I think your neighborhood assessments are a few years out of date.  Delray is not transitional; it has gourmet pizza, dog ice cream, and pregnant yoga.  Its officially yuppified and has been for several years now.  You won't find any homes or rentals at a reasonable price anywhere within walking distance of Delray.

As for Nauck, I'll spot you that its got its share of the Section 8 crowd and English speakers are definitely not the majority, but I never had a problem in four years living there on South Nelson St. - and I made 100K profit on my house when I sold it a few months ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Delray is fucking expensive as fuck. You might as well go for Old Town.

OP, if you don't mind trains and work near the Metro, just move down to Fredericksburg or something and VRE it in. Honestly, your commute might take the same amount of time because of inside the beltway traffic.

I also used to live in an apartment building in South Old Town Alexandria that was old but reasonably price for the area. Let me know if you want a link. It was walking distance to King Street where all the restaurants and shit are.

Also: Murphy's Sunday Brunch. Do it.

ETA: There's also a loophole to the Car Tax thing. Vintage plates. You'll see a lot of old cars on the road with vintage plates that aren't exactly collector cars because there's an exemption.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
he last stop (Wiehle) runs 45 mins to L'Enfant Plaza, according to the WMATA site (believe it when I see it).

View Quote

I've timed it, that time is spot on most days.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Congrats on the profit although it would be pretty hard to lose money buying a property in Arlington unless you bought in 2005/6. There are lots of areas in south Arlington where the price of buying is high but the area and the schools are not so great. Want to live in an area where 35% of the kids in the local elementary school are on the NSLP or an area where it is 60-80% of the kids? Didn't mean to insult your neighborhood but I think there are plenty of better options in the area.

A single guy who wants to go out and enjoy himself and he is being advised to live in Fredricksburg? WTF

A quick search on Zillow and there were numerous 1 bed/1bath apartments off Mt. Vernon Ave for around $1500/month. That isn't as expensive as Old Town.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top