Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2009 8:16:15 AM EDT
Howdy all. A neighbor who has a membership there used a couple of guest passes to bring me and another member of the "neighborhood defense committee" to the 340 Defense facilities this past Saturday. I have been anxious to find a new place to shoot since learning that Sleepy Creek would be closed; I've also been looking for somewhere to shoot my bolt gun past 200 meters, and somewhere where I can shoot under "big boy rules" - i.e. draw and fire, work on transitions, move and shoot, multiple targets, shoot/don't shoot scenarios, etc. To say that I was pleased with what I found at 340 Defense is an understatement.

The 340 Defense ranges are located on the grounds of an old farm on highway 340, just south of Rippon, WV (7 miles south of Charlestown, in Berkeley County.) The entrance is marked on 340 with two large red flags, and you just follow the graveled road up to the old farmhouse which acts as the range office. Arrayed around the farmhouse in spoke-like fashion are the various ranges. We spent all of out time on the 50 meter range, and I didn't make an exhaustive observation, but I also noted a short range to our left (15 meters or so), a 100 meter range, and a 400 meter range. I may have missed a couple of others. Wooden target stands are provided, as are a few steel plate silouhettes, should you desire to set them up. If I recall, there was a steel silouhette bounce-up on both the 100 and 400 meter ranges.

The setting was perfect: Each range consists of a cleared field of fire perhaps some 20 meters across, with several lanes marked out in spray paint. The 50 meter range we were using was also supplied with a picnic bench. The ranges were surrounded by old-growth hardwoods and dense brush, which was great for keeping things shady. As I mentioned, it seemed that big boy rules were in effect - no one questioned how many rounds we loaded in each magazine, how fast we wanted to fire, etc. When we set up three targets at 15, 50, and 25 meters, and ran some timed sequences shooting and moving through all the targets with the M4's, no one stopped us. I did appreciate that we had some staff observing us from time to time; while I feel comfortable and confident keeping track of what's going on in the group I'm shooting with, I can't vouch for the training and experience level of everyone else shooting, nor can I observe the actions of everyone else on the property. I can call out an unsafe action if I see it in my party, but I like knowing that someone may be watching, just to keep everyone safe. I was able to get one of my M4's and a 12-gauge with a red-dot sighted in, and I warmed up one of my Glocks and broke the cherry on my new SIG 1911 (see the Handguns forum for pics and comments on that...)

I can't think of a better way to spend a late-spring Saturday afternoon, and I was very pleased to find such a nice range so relatively close to where I live. There is a $35.00 application fee, and the rates are $20.00 an hour. You don't have to buy/shoot their ammo. A $300.00 annual membership gets you unlimited range time on Saturdays and Sundays, and entitles you to $10.00/hour shooting on weekdays. I don't recall what time they open in the AM, but was told that they are open until "seven-ish" in the evening (they may stay later, if business warrants.) In addition to the ranges, there were a few firearms and accessories for sale (didn't check prices, sorry), and it looked like they had some staff teaching basic handgun/CCW stuff.  One of my neighbors mentioned that they had some weapons available for rent as well, to include suppressed and FA, if that tickles your fancy.

Bottom line: We all came away impressed, and commented about what a nice time we had and how much we enjoyed the facilities. The staff was pleasant and easy-going - seemed more like your shooting buds than the arrogant elitist pricks at some other places I won't name. I commute down into NoVA, and 340 is one of my route options - I believe I will be taking it much more often in the future...  

BTW: It seemed to me like facilities there would be a great venue for IDPA or three-gun matches; does anyone know if there is an active IDPA chapter in the area, or whether the folks at 340 Defense host matches? I'll talk to them about it the next time I go.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#1]
What is the "Application fee" ? Do you pay that one time , or each time, or once a year ?

Did they seem to keep track of your time closely ?
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Their range did look very nice but... I need a place that is not just on the weekends. (I usually work on weekends)
340 Defense seems to be open on weekdays only by appointment for leo's and military.
Too bad for civilians
If you can shoot on the weekend it sounds good and I've talked to several people who do shoot there and they like it a lot.
Top Top