Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2014 11:56:58 AM EDT
If so, how is it?  I've had about all I can take from Cox.  The service sucks even when it's working and that's only about half the time.  Need to find SOMETHING that works better. Brand new development in the NW part of Vegas so I'm pretty sure we've got fiber optic cables run.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#2]
About a month or so ago a friend dumped Cox and went to CL.... with in 2 weeks he was back to Cox. As bad as cox can be at times they are still better than CL.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#3]
We dumped cl to go back to cox as well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#4]
We switched to century link for the same reason. Much happier with them over cox for both Internet and cable.

Guess I'm the odd man out.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I have CL. I will not use Cox. I have been happy with it, I have a cheap plan but they never increase their price and the internet is consistent.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I have CL, and I'm happy with it. I run my PC over wifi, along with 2 phones, and two Rokus sometimes all at once and it works fine. Sometimes I'll have up to 4 torrents DL'ing too. Every once in a while my Roku may need to buffer while all that is going on, but not enough to make me switch back to Cox.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the quick replies.  Now for a follow up question.  For those that did NOT like it, did you have fiber optic cable?  For those that DID like it, same question, do you have fiber optic cable?  My initial guess was wrong, no fiber optics in my neighborhood.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope, just plane jane DSL.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#9]
No fiber.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I looked at switching to CL also what with cox' continual increase in monthly charges. Finally called and switched to a package (cable) with less channels that we never use and the price dropped almost to the original back in 2004. Almost.

I've made this call before, and they were never willing to discuss lower fee alternatives. This time, they brought it right up. Must be the exodus of customers.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#11]
CL with the prism TV now getting 10mbps connections, and saving dollars, the HD TV is better than the DISH we had, better programing (it all sucks, but somewhat better)  

I hate COX for other reasons so would never do business with them.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Switched over to Century Link from Cox about a year ago.  Phone/TV/Data from Cox.  The phone service was never totally reliable and in the event of a power outage you'd loose the phone service.  The device was supposed to have a battery backup but the batteries seldom lasted very long before they wouldn't hold a charge.  Granted we seldom get outages having underground lines here, but if you are more prone to outages something to consider.  The CL DVR does some strange things now and again like saying it can't pause a live program because other programs are being recorded, but that isn't the case.  

The reason for switching was cost.  CL was much cheaper than Cox for the same things with a two year rate lock.  Cox wouldn't have nothing to do with reducing my rate.  Well, not until I called to cancel service then they said they would have reduced my rate.  So apparently your petty complaints aren't a concern until they are losing your account altogether.  

The Prism service is slick in that you have instant channel changes when bumping up and down channels, just like old analog cable was.  No waiting a couple seconds for the feed to show up.

The internet feed from CL might not be as fast as what Cox can deliver, but it works well enough for my household.  Upload speeds are noticeably slower than what Cox had which may be an issue if you host a server.

Overall I'm happy with it and see no overwhelming need to change.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#13]
DSL (century link) works off a local hub or router for the neighborhood. If someone is using a lot of bandwidth it can slow the entire neighborhood down. There are limitations - but also ways to get around them.

By and large the copper phone infrastructure in the valley is pretty spotty. You can have service drops and slow downs at random. Worse than Cox Cable if that's believable.

If the battery backup and phone situation is critical - I would recommend getting a battery back up from fry's - or online - to keep your important devices powered during an outage.

If you are getting reoccurring issues with service from cox cable - they will come out and inspect the street level infrastructure. My mom was having a similar problem and ran a business from home. Once that was explained a boom truck and several techs was out the next day. They found a crack and signal leakage in the RG11 at the street level distribution and replaced a lot of stuff. Problem went away.

ETA: As much as cox sucks, they are about the best choice in the Las Vegas valley if you need high bandwidth and are more reliable than most other offerings. You could always get internet from DirecTV - but along come the clouds and service drops. Once FIOS (fiber optic) finishes up, Cox will be in serious trouble. That is why they are jumping the speeds up for "free" in order to offset the incoming fiber service. It is stressing their service and infrastructure to run those kinds of speeds. Anyone who has Cox will most likely be able to see then when they start receiving emails to the effect of "you have exceeded your allowed bandwidth." Which started late last year.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive known a few people who switched from Cox to CL...every single one of them went back to Cox.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

This....... Was me 1 week ago, thank god for their 30 day "satisfaction"  guarantee.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Had cox went to CL than went back to COX their DSL is horrible. If there fiber makes it to the SW I will look into it again. I have never had issues with cox CS they are always nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top