Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2012 12:49:31 PM EDT
I'm coming home for a month of leave in October and want to do some coyote calling.  Does anyone know of any areas that are known to have more than others?  My family lives in NW Vegas, and I'm willing to drive an hour or two to get away from the city.

I grew up in Kansas and Nebraska, so the terrain is quite a bit different from what I've ever hunted before.  I joined the USMC and my parents moved to Vegas so I've not done any real hunting/wildlife watching out there yet.  Where do they like to hang out?  Open desert, up in the hills or mountains, indifferent?

Also, would it be worth my time to try and keep pelts in October?  I've had one person tell me it might be OK towards the end of the month, but if anyone else would like to confirm or deny that I'd be happy to hear about it.

Thanks.

And a side question, what the hell do the animals out there drink?  I have not seen any water where I have made it to out in the desert and mountains to the NW.  I've seen a few deer, wild horses and mules and it boggles my mind that they find enough water to stay alive.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Not trying to be a smartass but good luck. Everyone and their Grandmother hunts Coyotes now. Many of them 365 days a year.
For everyone person you know that hunts Coyotes there is 50 others you don't know about. You also have to remember that Nevada does not require a license to hunt them, so any out of stater can take a whack at them anytime they feel like it.

I live in an Area where I used to see a ton of Coyotes, I saw my second one so far this year in a residential neighborhood. Lastyear I called 4 of them when I should have called 20 or more. It's getting tough.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not trying to be a smartass but good luck. Everyone and their Grandmother hunts Coyotes now. Many of them 365 days a year.
For everyone person you know that hunts Coyotes there is 50 others you don't know about. You also have to remember that Nevada does not require a license to hunt them, so any out of stater can take a whack at them anytime they feel like it.

I live in an Area where I used to see a ton of Coyotes, I saw my second one so far this year in a residential neighborhood. Lastyear I called 4 of them when I should have called 20 or more. It's getting tough.

^^^^^^
This

It ain't like it use to be. To be honest, your best (easiest) bet will be close to town early mornings. Just make sure you are in an area legal to discharge a firearm .

Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:58:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm coming home for a month of leave in October and want to do some coyote calling.  Does anyone know of any areas that are known to have more than others?  My family lives in NW Vegas, and I'm willing to drive an hour or two to get away from the city.

I grew up in Kansas and Nebraska, so the terrain is quite a bit different from what I've ever hunted before.  I joined the USMC and my parents moved to Vegas so I've not done any real hunting/wildlife watching out there yet.  Where do they like to hang out?  Open desert, up in the hills or mountains, indifferent?

Also, would it be worth my time to try and keep pelts in October?  I've had one person tell me it might be OK towards the end of the month, but if anyone else would like to confirm or deny that I'd be happy to hear about it.

Thanks.

And a side question, what the hell do the animals out there drink?  I have not seen any water where I have made it to out in the desert and mountains to the NW.  I've seen a few deer, wild horses and mules and it boggles my mind that they find enough water to stay alive.

Only a few of my friends and myself know the good spots (and we keep them close to the vest).

Sorry buddy, every time we give out an area it gets "hunted out" and we are left with nothing.

You'll have to do what we have been doing for years... Search, find, and CALL.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 9/17/2012 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#4]
To borrow a prospector's phrase:  Coyotes are where you find them.

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Very well then.  Bunch of hard asses

I kid.  I guess I'll go find them then.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 1:24:06 PM EDT
[#6]
This is hard and factual testimony.  The corner of London and Hull St in Henderson.  Had one run in front of my truck last night at 5 min till 9pm. This is not the first sighting in this location.....is it Glenn.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

This is hard and factual testimony.  The corner of London and Hull St in Henderson.  Had one run in front of my truck last night at 5 min till 9pm. This is not the first sighting in this location.....is it Glenn.

Not saying that's what helped pushed you towards dropping the coin on a can 'eh?

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not saying that's what helped pushed you towards dropping the coin on a can 'eh?  

The .17 WMR?

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#9]
One of the other problems with calling now days is the fact that a Pup born this spring has heard every sound known to man that can be used to call them in.

If you do go calling don't think you have to be a mile off the road. I have called Coyotes in with Vehicles and Quads running up and down the road 50 yards behind me.
I also called one in once while some Chukar Hunters where talking and hollaring at their dog only about 800 yards away.
Now days you might make 20 calls before you ever call one in, but then you can also call one in at every call.

Good Luck and I hope you call abunch in.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Lots running around Kingman wash last night...
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The .17 WMR?

Thats 17 HMR .
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The .17 WMR?

Thats 17 HMR .

Thanks, Dad!

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The .17 WMR?

Thats 17 HMR .

Thanks, Dad!

And it's a magazine, not a clip.

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The .17 WMR?

Thats 17 HMR .

Thanks, Dad!

And it's a magazine, not a clip.

I got Clips!!!

I got Clips!!!

I got Clips!!!

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 8:11:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Can I legally shoot a coyote in my back yard that is showing growing interest in my chicken coop (we have 5 chickens in the backyard that we keep for eggs)?

We live in Washoe County (unincorporated part of Reno).

It seems like it may be OK since I am protecting my property:

50.092 Unlawful discharge of firearms; exemption.
1. It is unlawful for any person to:
(a) Discharge any gun, pistol, rifle, shotgun or other firearm
in, on or across any county road or highway.
(b) Discharge in the unincorporated area of the county, any
gun, pistol, rifle or other firearm, with the exception of
shotguns, air rifles or B-B guns, within 5,000 feet of any
dwelling occupied by another person or persons.
(c) Discharge in the unincorporated area of the county, any
shotgun, air rifle or B-B gun within 1,000 feet of any dwelling
occupied by another person or persons.
(d) Discharge any gun, pistol, rifle, shotgun or other firearm
within any congested area of the county.
2. This section does not apply to:
(a) Peace officers in the lawful discharge of duty;
(b) To persons shooting in any regularly established and
lawfully authorized and licensed rifle range, gun club or
shooting gallery;
(c) To any person lawfully discharging a firearm in protection
of life or property
[§2, Ord. No. 136; A Bill No. 296; A Ord. No. 1180]

We have had the coyotes actually in the yard a few times this summer and deer as well.  The coyotes have actually done me a huge favor by culling the cottontails this year but I don't want them going after the chickens regardless.  I just want to know if I am in my rights to stop a coyote in my backyard.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Crapshoot could come by and take care of this with a drive bye or 3.  

Just kidding.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Can I legally shoot a coyote in my back yard that is showing growing interest in my chicken coop (we have 5 chickens in the backyard that we keep for eggs)?

shooting gallery;
of life or property

We have had the coyotes actually in the yard a few times this summer and deer as well.  The coyotes have actually done me a huge favor by culling the cottontails this year but I don't want them going after the chickens regardless.  I just want to know if I am in my rights to stop a coyote in my backyard.

A friend of mine had a similar problem. He just set a couple of leg hold traps in his back yard and dispatched the culprit with a bow.
Look closely at the coyotes front foot.

Link Posted: 9/22/2012 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

shooting gallery;
of life or property

Don't forget about:
    NRS 202.290  Aiming firearm at human being; discharging weapon where person might be endangered; penalty.  Unless a greater penalty is provided in NRS 202.287, a person who willfully:

1.  Aims any gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm, whether loaded or not, at or toward any human being; or

2.  Discharges any firearm, air gun or other weapon, or throws any deadly missile in a public place or in any place where any person might be endangered thereby, although an injury does not result,
is guilty of a gross misdemeanor

You might beat the charge but you wont beat the ride.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

shooting gallery;
of life or property

Don't forget about:
    NRS 202.290  Aiming firearm at human being; discharging weapon where person might be endangered; penalty.  Unless a greater penalty is provided in NRS 202.287, a person who willfully:

1.  Aims any gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm, whether loaded or not, at or toward any human being; or

2.  Discharges any firearm, air gun or other weapon, or throws any deadly missile in a public place or in any place where any person might be endangered thereby, although an injury does not result,
is guilty of a gross misdemeanor

You might beat the charge but you wont beat the ride.

Wow, is that statute overly vague or what??  I mean couldn't someone get charged for shooting at a public or private shooting range based on the wording of the law?  After all a range is a "place where any person might be endangered thereby, although an injury does not result."  Seems like a catch all law to throw at people who are otherwise following the rules.

I apprecaite you posting it so I am now aware of it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top