Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2007 8:28:51 AM EDT
Nevada Governor Signs Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Legislation!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Thank You for Your Hard Work and Support in Favor of SB237!

On Friday, June 15, Governor Jim Gibbons (R) signed Senate Bill 237, sponsored by Senator John Lee (D-1) and Senator Warren Hardy (R-12).  SB237 will allow Nevada to negotiate Right-to-Carry reciprocity agreements with states whose training standards match Nevada’s.  SB237 will be effective Monday, October 1.
Thank you to all NRA members who contacted their legislators in favor of SB237.  Without your assistance, this victory would not have been possible.
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Any list of states yet?
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 9:02:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I heard we won't see a list until July 2008.
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 9:34:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Your rights in action.  Will you guys up North please vote that Bernie Anderson fellow out of office already?
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I heard we won't see a list until July 2008.

Which is just so silly.... it goes into effect, but we aren't sure WHAT's going into effect.
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Is there a contact for the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs assoc. that we can bother?  I love being the annoying citizen who keeps asking legitimate questions.
Like hey, how exactly is this law "going into effect", when there are no answers as to what it is that is "going into effect?
How about the AG?
Just a couple of thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:Like hey, how exactly is this law "going into effect", when there are no answers as to what it is that is "going into effect?

It's actually pretty clear.  What is going into effect is the ability of the state to negotiate reciprocity.  This is opposed to the automatic recognition of other state permits.  This is why there are no automatic and immediate additions to the list...They need to be negotiated.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Call the Nv Dept of Public Safety to see if they have the list yet..... (775) 684-6262.
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Why even bother with the bureaucratic B.S. that's involved with formal reciprocity agreements. All of this could be avoided if we'd just do what some other states have done and that's accept a valid permit from any state....no formal agreement necessary.  I believe Arizona and Montana (or Idaho) are like that now.
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Because then the Nevada Sheriff's and Chief's Ass. would not be able to run their fiefdom.

Michigan too. Any valid resident permit is valid there.
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#11]
So my permit was issued 9.23.2004 but I'm out of state and it says it expires 8.17.2007; is my permit still valid?

EDIT:  Mine is probably not because it has expired, so it was suspended by the sheriff.  Not sure about the those that fall after 1 Oct though.  SNFU there.  I'll call tomorrow and post what I find.

4. Unless suspended or revoked by the sheriff who issued the
permit, a permit expires 5 years after
the date on which it is issued.
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
So my permit was issued 9.23.2004 but I'm out of state and it says it expires 8.17.2007; is my permit still valid?

4. Unless suspended or revoked by the sheriff who issued the
permit, a permit expires 5 years after
the date on which it is issued.

If you are a non-resident and your NV permit was issued before Oct. 1st, 2007, then it is only valid for 3 years.  Starting October 1st, 2007.... all permits issued on/after that date will be valid for 5 years regardless if you are a resident or not.
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Call the Nv Dept of Public Safety to see if they have the list yet..... (775) 684-6262.

Sept 25th: I called and left a message with them. Less than 15 minutes later, Bonnie called me and told me that they have a big meeting tomorrow at one. the AG and the Sheriffs and Chiefs have finalized the list and it will be posted on the DPS website after the meeting and all of the info is finalized and made public.

Link Posted: 9/25/2007 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I couldn't find the listing.  Anyone got a link?
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 6:18:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I couldn't find the listing.  Anyone got a link?

They haven't posted it yet.... the meeting is today at 1pm and sometime/someday after that, they will post it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Cool, someone replied to a thread in another forum. Stated almost exactly the same as above. Should be posted to NVDPS by Oct 1.

So, consider this a tag.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 8:45:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Any list of states yet?

according to a article on RGJ.com the states are Alaska,Arkansas,Kansas,Louisiana,Missouri,Nebraska,Tennesee and Utah thats what the paper says anyway
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Any list of states yet?

according to article on RGJ.com the states are Alaska,Arkansas,Kansas,Loisiana,Missouri,Nebraska,Tennesee and Utah thats what the paper says anyway
Alaska. They should have put Vermont on there, too. Since Alaska had a CCW program and then went with a Vermont style CCW, how many Alaskans actually have an Alaska CCW?

Oh well. Eight states is eight more than we had last year...
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Any list of states yet?

according to article on RGJ.com the states are Alaska,Arkansas,Kansas,Loisiana,Missouri,Nebraska,Tennesee and Utah thats what the paper says anyway
Alaska. They should have put Vermont on there, too. Since Alaska had a CCW program and then went with a Vermont style CCW, how many Alaskans actually have an Alaska CCW?

Oh well. Eight states is eight more than we had last year...

I did'nt understand that either what the hell would Alaska matter anyway? maybe it was some kind of feather in someones cap

*as in if both AK. and VT. have those laws in place why would'nt those states be a given anyway?
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Posted for the lazy

news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070927/NEWS18/70927004&oaso=news.rgj.com
8 states' concealed gun permits valid here

Posted: 9/27/2007

Beginning Oct. 1, the state of Nevada will recognize permits from eight other states that allow people to carry concealed weapons, the Nevada Department of Public Safety announced.

Those states are Alaska, Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Nebraska, Tennessee and Utah.

The 2007 Nevada Legislature passed a law that allowed concealed carry permits from other states to be used in Nevada. The Department of Public Safety, with the help of the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association, reviewed the laws from other states. It found 16 other states that had an electronic database accessible 24 hours a day that identifies valid permit holders. Of those 16, only eight had concealed carry permit laws that were as stringent or more stringent than Nevada, the Department of Public Safety said.

It will review the list of approved states every year, the Department of Public Safety said.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh, well. Looks like getting my non resident license was not a waste of time afterall.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
how many Alaskans actually have an Alaska CCW?

I do

I had my permit before they passed the law. There are actually quite a few people that still go to the trouble of getting the permits. Usually it was fairly new shooters who wanted some formal training.

I hope the list is correct because my permit is good till 2009
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#24]
You should be good to go, ALASKANFIRE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top