Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2014 9:35:42 AM EDT
As some of you know my hubby has a moose tag for the Mesa next month. In a bit of a surprise to both of us I may have found us an experienced pack mule to buy (which is fine, we have been considering one for a while). I will be going next week to try out said mule and see if he is what they say. He is actually out right now on an elk hunt packing which is why I need to wait to try him out.

So, I ride but have never packed. Is there anyone in the area that can help us out? I have been looking more at some saddle panniers that go over the saddle versus a complete new decker or sawbuck setup. Honestly, I don't have enough time to research and figure out which would work best for us. I have a saddle, britchen and breast collar already so throwing some panniers over and securing it is going to be easier and cheaper. But, I would prefer to do this with some knowledge and help. So if anyone has experience and can share that would be great.

I am also not opposed to hiring someone to pack the moose out for us but haven't been able to find anyone so if you know of an outfiitter that works on the Mesa please let me know!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Having guided and wrangled horses, mules and dudes for 20 years in the Gunnison Country, I can recommend the short book entitled Horses, Hitches and Rocky Trails by Joe Back.

It's available on Amazon in Kindle form for not much money and is considered the "packer's Bible."

You can thank me later.  Elk steaks eagerly accepted!

eta:  You can't keep a good mule long enough and you can't get rid of a bad one fast enough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top