Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2010 4:32:37 PM EDT
If anyone is interested I'm looking at going camping again next weekend.  There was a thread here about the last trip.  It will be at the same location...up near Tarryall Reservior.  I'll more than likely head up on Friday afternoon and stay until Sunday morning.  It's primitive camping but we can shoot right outside the camp site.  Habitat stamp is required to camp in National Forest...so get one if you don't have it and want to come.  Below is a link to the last shoot.  There's plenty of space to set up camp wherever up there and a pre-established fire ring.  

Location:  From the Springs, West on HWY24 through the Ute Pass.  Stay on 24 past Florissant. Make a right turn onto County Rd 77 and stay on that for about 28miles.  You'll come to Tarryall Reservior.  Just before the reservior take Turner Gulch road (left turn) and follow that about four miles.  We'll be camping off to the right.  Here are grids:

Actual campsite:

N 39 12.147'
W 105 38.813'

MGRS 13S DD 44145 39447

Dirt road turn off to site:

N 39 12.348'
W 105 38.809'

13S DD 44156 39819

Turn off from County Rd 77 to dirt Road

N 39 13.262'
W 105 36.152'

13S DD 47989 41479

Link to the last shoot/ campout we did here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=20&t=411063

Post up if you want to go or have questions.

CMS
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 10:42:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Durned if I don't think you hit a weekend I don't have anything going on.
What is the deal with this habitat stamp?  I camp in the Nat'l forest 5 times a year and have never heard of it.  Been doing so for 40+ years.
Sarge
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Durned if I don't think you hit a weekend I don't have anything going on.
What is the deal with this habitat stamp?  I camp in the Nat'l forest 5 times a year and have never heard of it.  Been doing so for 40+ years.
Sarge

I'll try to find the regulation.  It has to do with groups though.  As an individual without a habitat stamp you're limited to groups of either 10 or 15 (not sure exactly).  To be safe when you camp as a group it's always best to pick one up.  They're only like 5 or 6 dollars.

On a side note...the Lake George 3 Gun match is this weekend and I plan on attending it as well.  There's a thread here in the CO Hometown forums and the match is $15.

CMS
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Just a note on the habitat stamp.  If you have a fishing licence, you already had to pay for the habitat stamp.  Just look at you licence and it's on there.
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I can get away this weekend, as well. Will make plans to attend...coming from Salida.  

If I can borrow a friends small utility trailer, I may bring 1 or 2 steel targets (heavy) & some cardboard and paper targets.  I'll pack the spotting scope, too.

Don't drink much beer but will throw in for a case of MGD for the group.  Will also bring some burgers or dogs, ,maybe some chicken, chips & dip, snack stuff, etc.

The camper's on the truck...have been looking for an excuse to get out with it.

Let's do this!
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Weather dependant I will be up there on Friday afternoon-ish...  I'll toss out the sign at the final turn off (Bolt Face Logo) when I get there.  Fire wood is relatively easy to collect out there since it's all over the place.  Gonna try to take the truck.

CMS
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#7]
We're 3 days out.  Any other takers?  I figure I'll give this a bump in case anyone wants to go and hasn't seen it yet.  So far it looks like three of us.  I'd like to have a count by tomorrow because I'm going to go buy some food and more beer.

CMS
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#8]
You guys have fun, I have Donkeys vs Kitty tickets.

Should be a shitshow.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I think I'm going to be leaveing Colorado Springs at about 2:00pm or so on Friday.  cms81586 and I will be hitting up the 3-gun match at Lake George/M-lazy-C ranch on Saturday morning.  It's about 40 minutes from the camp site. I think that shoud run until maybe 1:00 pm or something.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think I'm going to be leaveing Colorado Springs at about 2:00pm or so on Friday.  cms81586 and I will be hitting up the 3-gun match at Lake George/M-lazy-C ranch on Saturday morning.  It's about 40 minutes from the camp site. I think that shoud run until maybe 1:00 pm or something.

Bailagent100...My printer sucked up the last of the ink printing some other stuff out so I won't have a bolt face logo at the turn off of Turner gulch road that leads the last 150 yd to the camp site.  If you don't have GPS or just want to be able to call in case you can't find the place...I just PM'ed you my phone number.  If you need a hand getting there just let me know.  Hit me up with a PM so I know when you plan on coming up.

CMS
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the tack.  Pics and AAR will come up on sunday.  

CMS
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 5:45:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bailagent100...My printer sucked up the last of the ink printing some other stuff out so I won't have a bolt face logo at the turn off of Turner gulch road that leads the last 150 yd to the camp site.  If you don't have GPS or just want to be able to call in case you can't find the place...I just PM'ed you my phone number.  If you need a hand getting there just let me know.  Hit me up with a PM so I know when you plan on coming up.

CMS

CMS...I shouldn't have any trouble finding the location, have GPS on board.  As to when I'll be showing up, I hope to get out of here later today, too but it may not be 'til tomorrow.  It's dependant on a couple things right now.  Just don't know, yet.  Copy that you'll likely not be at the campsite from tomorrow a.m. 'til about 2:pm or so.

I'll try phoning you, shortly, too.

Bailagent100
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 11:11:31 PM EDT
[#13]
We;ll, I'll miss this one too.  I now have a meeting Sat at 1300 so I'm out of it.
Sarge
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 7:22:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Had a great time and enjoyed meeting cms, bettendorf, Matt and his brothers.  I finally arrived mid-afternoon on Saturday.  Got my 'camp' set up (unloading the truck 'n popping the top on the camper) then sat around the fire getting aquainted.  

After a while cms & I grabbed a couple rifles & headed over to shoot the steel target they had set up, out about 350 yds, IIRC.  I have an issue w/my FAL that I'm gonna have to get checked out...

Then back towards camp and on to the shotgun for some trap shooting.  Everyone was able to hit some birds and we shot 'til we ran out of ammo.  (Thanks cms!)  Oh, I enjoyed letting everyone shoot the Garand, too.

Dinner around the fire consisted of mountain pies, bbq'd chicken, burgers, good conversation, good cigars, and good beer.  Matt & his brothers weren't able to stay so we said goodbye to them about 9:30, I'd guess.

Sunday morning was a quick breakfast of coffee & sweet rolls.  I rolled out first and was able to watch a young pronghorn buck stroll by camp while things were still quiet.  Bettendorf, cms & I set up, again, over at the steel 'range'.  Our assortment of rifles included a Mosin-Nagant 91/30, a couple of ar's and cms's very nice little CZ .22 bolt gun.

Lunch consisted of campfire cooked hot-dogs & elk brats.  We broke camp after lunch & headed on back to our own A.O.'s.

Gotta say it was a pleasure and an honor to meet guys like cms and bettendorf, both of whom are serving our country in the Army, and both of whom have deployed at least once.  (Hope I didn't bore you guys with my questions...)

As the 'old guy' in camp, I can say everyone was friendly towards each other, very safe and responsible with their gun handling practices and very easy to get along with and be around.  So, for those who may have hesitated in joining us because they may not know everyone (or anyone) in the group...not to worry.  We are hoping to do this again in September.  I would encourage you to make the trip.  

I really enjoyed myself.  Thanks, guys.

Bailagent100
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Had a great time guys.  Everything went well and the weather was great.  Got a little chilly at night but nothing unbearable.  I'm looking at the weekend of September 11th and 12th for the next shoot.  It may be the last one this year depending on how cold it gets and how fast they get snow up there.  At 9500' October may be too late...but we'll wait to see.  I'll post up in the next few days the dates and plan for the next campout.  Thanks to everyone that showed up and everyone that brought food/beer/snacks!

CMS

Nothing like Sweet Baby Rays on fire cooked BBQ chicken!  Thanks again Bailagent100!

The Gang cooking dinner and relaxing...

From left to right around the fire...Matt, Bettendorf, Matts younger brother (forgot your name dude...sorry), Bailagent100, and myself...

Views from the site...great as usual!

Chili with no beans...only for chilidog purposes of course!

Matt and his brothers doing some shooting while Bettendorf and myself were at the 3-Gun match on Saturday...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top