Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2017 7:04:11 PM EDT
Let's just start by saying I know people are unlikely to share their favorite spots -- for fear of people shitting all over them and getting them shut down -- but I was hoping to see if people were willing to share resources for how to find places that you can camp and shoot.

I don't want to just be asking for handouts here , so below is my list of the most restrictive portions of the laws that I have found (where any less restrictive element is omitted -- i.e. federal law says no shooting within 150 yards, whereas Washington regulations say 500 feet). Hopefully this is helpful for others as well

From what I have gather from the WAC, one needs to adhere to the following rules (when shooting on DNR managed lands):
1. Have a earthen backstop
2. Don't shoot around/across/on roads
3. Within 500 feet of any buildings
4. Use a target, don't just shoot random shit/animals/trees/etc
5. Don't shoot 30 minutes before dawn or after dusk
6. Clean up after yourself
7. No tracer or incendiary ammo

Per federal code
8. no shooting over water
9. no shooting into caves

Snohomish county has some pretty sweet guidance, including this totally rad map.

And here are Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest Shooting Resources

If anyone knows of additional resources like this, that is basically what I am looking for (could be good to add some of this the the WAHTF FAQ or whatnot). Am I missing anything critical?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
If I had to pick somewhere for next weekend it would be anywhere on Manastash Ridge and second would be down by Newaukum lakes.  

These are from from secret places.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#2]
DNR: http://www.dnr.wa.gov/go#target-shooting

You have the USFS info for Mt Baker (they are all the same).

What kind of camping do you want to do?
Developed (shitters, running water, firepits) or undeveloped (shit in a bag and worry about bears)?

Most developed campgrounds do not allow shooting in or around them.
Undeveloped campgrounds...you're on your own.

Get a Delorme map of Washington, go to the nearest USFS office and ask for maps and advice, look on Google Maps, Google up areas you think might be good.

They are out there.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#3]
@ Mr. Black:
This coming weekend I'm going to do my darndest to avoid I5 (or any north/south travel) for fear of traffic fuckery -- but will definitely keep Newaukum in mind in the future. Any details around Manastash that might be good to know?

@KA
Thanks for this! More into the undeveloped camping side of things -- nothing against carrying some bear spray (no need to shoot em if you can avoid it) and wiping my ass with pine cones :)

And I've been looking for some good topo maps -- I'll definitely pick up a DeLorme thanks to your recommendation.

Anyone know if there are spots (preferably a bit of a hike involved) along highway 2? specifically up near eagle lake as go/no go?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:49:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone know if there are spots (preferably a bit of a hike involved) along highway 2? specifically up near eagle lake as go/no go?
View Quote
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/11006263

No one is going to tell you if there are camping or shooting spots out that way.
I'll give you this bit of advice: Google it up first, do your research and THEN ask your question.

I found this by Googling "Eagle Lake Snohomish".

If you're planning on shooting in Snohomish County check this map:
https://snohomishcountywa.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/265
Grid squares 27-30

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/11006263

One thing to remember, them there hills are full of booger pickers, goblins, meth zombies, thieves and general shitheads.
You're looking at parking your vehicle on NF 6517 or one of the spurs and leaving it.

I have come across "camps" at the dead end spurs when I was riding my dual sport bike on the NF and FS roads.

"No Lifeguard On Duty" if you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:50:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
nothing against carrying some bear spray (no need to shoot em if you can avoid it)
View Quote
Fuck that, terminate bears with extreme prejudice.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep in mind that there are DNR, National Parks, National Forests, and Wilderness areas and they all have different rules.  

Parks = no dogs and no shooting.

I know some spots out in the Olympics but it sounds like you're interested in that side.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Keep in mind that there are DNR, National Parks, National Forests, and Wilderness areas and they all have different rules.  

Parks = no dogs and no shooting.

I know some spots out in the Olympics but it sounds like you're interested in that side.
View Quote
Sounds like we need to link up! I am in Poulsbo and need some spots up in the Olympics'. Got to go to GUAM for 2 weeks then I am back for awhile. I'll shoot you a PM when I get back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top