Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2016 12:20:37 PM EDT
Submission date: 6-12-2016

Disapproval Date: 7-13-2016

Reason: INACCURATE MODEL DESIGNATION FOUND-PLEASE ADOPT MODEL AS ENGRAVED ON LOWER - POSSIBLY "M&P-15"?

2014 Approved Form 1. Information in Box 4D Model: "AR15CARBINE"

2016 Disapproved Form 1. Information in Box 4D Model: "AR15CARBINE"

I guess in 2014 it was OK to use "AR15CARBINE" from the drop down box. It appears that it's not OK in 2016 and the ATF now want's what's engraved on the lower.

I've emailed "Ask The Experts" and will update this post when I get a reply from "Ask The Experts".

Jeez, I hope I don't have to deal with 41F in my resubmission.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Last time I checked, the ATF has always wanted the model to be what is marked on the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#2]
You will have to deal with 41F now. You've been disapproved, your form's kicked back and refund process gets automatically started. Sorry.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You will have to deal with 41F now. You've been disapproved, your form's kicked back and refund process gets automatically started. Sorry.
View Quote

I've decided if this happens to my recent submissions I'm just going the brace/shockwave route.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Since you are "making" the firearm you should be able to put any model you want.  You also do not have to use the previous serial number on the lower but that could cause all types of problems and why engrave more than you need to when one is already there.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Since you are "making" the firearm you should be able to put any model you want.  You also do not have to use the previous serial number on the lower but that could cause all types of problems and why engrave more than you need to when one is already there.

View Quote

NFA Handbook

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 1:36:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Should is not the same as required.  If you are making it you can designate whatever you want for a model the only things I have seen the ATF get pissy about is non alphanumeric characters.

The model is optional so I would think it might only cause problems putting it down on the form.  Anyone ever hear of problems leaving it blank?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:22:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Should is not the same as required.  If you are making it you can designate whatever you want for a model the only things I have seen the ATF get pissy about is non alphanumeric characters.

The model is optional so I would think it might only cause problems putting it down on the form.  Anyone ever hear of problems leaving it blank?
View Quote

Last time I checked, the model is required unless a model designation does not exist.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#8]
If you want to change existing model designation you have to do it before you file the form.

Example: Had my SL8-6 converted into G36K. Had it re-marked before I applied. My Form 1 model is "G36K"
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you want to change existing model designation you have to do it before you file the form.

Example: Had my SL8-6 converted into G36K. Had it re-marked before I applied. My Form 1 model is "G36K"
View Quote

I know of no law or regulatory code that compels you to adopt any markings or model number of a firearm you are making.  Can any of you point me to a law saying otherwise?

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Not a law, or regulatory code, but in the NFA handbook it tells you what to put in 4(d) and while I think since you're making the firearm, and paying the $200 it should be anything you want- I'm not the one holding all the cards either
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:32:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I know of no law or regulatory code that compels you to adopt any markings or model number of a firearm you are making.  Can any of you point me to a law saying otherwise?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There likely isn't one. Then again, unless you're interested in filing, getting denied, and then filing a lawsuit over it, ATF probably didn't care that there's nothing on paper about the subject.

FBATFE, as always.

Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:23:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm the original poster and here is the reply that I received from the ATF:

"In the past year or so we became more vigilant and scrutinized firearm model descriptions a lot closer. We have been striving to remove invalid options from the eform dropdown menu options to avoid confusion. What we would like to capture is exactly what is engraved on the firearm. AR15carbine is more of a style of firearm and not the actual engraved model. If you decide to resubmit please use the markings exactly as they are engraved on the firearm. The approval from 2014 is fine as is, just trying to improve the process going forward."

Have to figure out what I'm going to do now.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:50:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

"In the past year or so we became more vigilant and scrutinized firearm model descriptions a lot closer. We have been striving to remove invalid options from the eform dropdown menu options to avoid confusion. What we would like to capture is exactly what is engraved on the firearm. AR15carbine is more of a style of firearm and not the actual engraved model. If you decide to resubmit please use the markings exactly as they are engraved on the firearm. The approval from 2014 is fine as is, just trying to improve the process going forward."

View Quote

So you have an approval for the same firearm from 2014?  Or is that a different firearm?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:12:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So you have an approval for the same firearm from 2014?  Or is that a different firearm?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He has it for a different firearm.

OP- Guess you will just have to do a paper submission with fingerprint cards and passport photo.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same model (both M&P-15 lowers), different serial numbers thus the need to submit a new Form 1 for the lower I just picked up last month.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#16]
If you are telling them what the model name/number is on your item, how can they tell you that you are wrong?  On what basis do they know that the model is incorrect?  With my Anderson lower, I picked the exact name off their list.

Rob
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#17]
ATF Eforms gives you all the options people have put in. I recently had to cancel an eForm Form 1 submission, because I picked "HK MP5" (what is engraved on the receiver) and file again with "MP5" as that is what ATF wants. Seems bullshit to me- but they're the ones approving my request to make a firearm, so yeah... my guess is they have a list of manufacturer, model and serial #s that they cross-refrence, and all 3 have to match?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
ATF Eforms gives you all the options people have put in. I recently had to cancel an eForm Form 1 submission, because I picked "HK MP5" (what is engraved on the receiver) and file again with "MP5" as that is what ATF wants. Seems bullshit to me- but they're the ones approving my request to make a firearm, so yeah... my guess is they have a list of manufacturer, model and serial #s that they cross-refrence, and all 3 have to match?
View Quote

If I remember correctly, the eforms model database is based off of what users have entered.

As for your MP5, did the ATF tell you to cancel and resubmit? Did you choose to include a picture?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:07:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Other members who submitted paper, were issued letters, saying "cross out HK" as model was just "MP5" from Walther, so might as well submit what they want...No I didn't include a picture.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top