Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 8/1/2014 1:01:44 PM EDT
As the title said. When eForms opened back up on 24JUN I immediately (within 10-15 min) submitted a Form 1 on a trust. It was returned this morning, signed/approved by Shannon Siviero. (Had to look up her last name on NFATracker, kind of hard to read the signature) I live in Pierce County. Hooah!

ETA: Pic! http://i61.tinypic.com/2czag5j.png
Sorry for the link, whenever I would insert it directly it would end up being huuuuuuge
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Added pic.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Very cool!
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#4]
how shit you got a 6/24 submitted F1 back????? THAT IS HUGE just on the fact it was submitted in 6/24, let alone it confirms form 1s for WA are going to get approved!!

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Liberty FTW! Damn, can't believe that turn around time... WOW.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I also submitted on 6-24.....hoping for the same result.

So,,,,who you gonna use for engraving?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#8]

got mine back the 29th submitted 3/17.   I have a guy in auburn who engraves great guy awesome work. Ill post a pic soon.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#9]
 If you would like info on the shop that does it just let me know. He uses a laser machine located in Auburn too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#10]
How much did this laser engraver charge?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#11]
$50 cash money.  But its done right and dont have to worry about shipping your lower out. I did not wanna do that.   I still cant believe I own a SBR now.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$50 cash money.  But its done right and dont have to worry about shipping your lower out. I did not wanna do that.   I still cant believe I own a SBR now.
View Quote

Can you send me this engraver's info?  Did you stayed there while he is doing the engraving?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Can you send me this engraver's info?  Did you stayed there while he is doing the engraving?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I was right there watching. I have a video I could upload later very cool to watch. He did 2 passes to ensure it was deep enough.  The place is called Jet City Laser, ask for Trevor.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes I was right there watching. I have a video I could upload later very cool to watch. He did 2 passes to ensure it was deep enough.  The place is called Jet City Laser, ask for Trevor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info.  My friend seattlite and I will probably chechout that place.  Also BATFE SBR engraving requirements are "minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size of the Serial number shall be no smaller than 1/16 inch".  Does Trevor knows the SBR engraving requirement already and did you have to tell him?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#15]
You are very welcome.  But yes I told him the requirements and he made the letters just a hair under or over 1/8" tall just to be safe, (I cant remember too excited lol)  which I didnt mind. Also he said that after the second pass it looks to be about 12 thou deep.  One thing to realize is a piece of paper is 3 thou thick, we went a little extra just to be safe then hit it with some aluma-black.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#16]
You think they can engrave on the front of the magwell? Will looks something like this:
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes he can basically do it anywhere he just sets up his jig and blasts it. I do not think that location would be an issue at all.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#18]
So If I've got a trust set up, I can do e-file without getting a gun shop involved?

Congrats btw!
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks Bro!  Jet City Laser is just right down the hill from me...appreciate the info!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So If I've got a trust set up, I can do e-file without getting a gun shop involved?
View Quote

Yes:  https://www.atfonline.gov/EForms/faces/userProfile/login.jspx?_afrLoop=38085366352480307&_afrWindowMode=0&_adf.ctrl-state=ea8y5tqie_23
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Congrats btw!
View Quote

Thanks! But yes just set up your trust and go to the atf eform page, create an account and fill out your form1 online!.   Also there is a step by step page  with pics I found on google of how to fill out a form 1 online.  Go to google and type in "eform for dummies" and it should come up. I even think it was a ar15.com page as well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks Bro!  Jet City Laser is just right down the hill from me...appreciate the info!!
View Quote

Thats funny. Small world I used to work like right across the street from them about 2 years ago at a hydraulic repair shop and I never even knew they existed! Lol. And ya no prob I just wanna help local gun owners out, this is a big deal and exciting!
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks! But yes just set up your trust and go to the atf eform page, create an account and fill out your form1 online!.   Also there is a step by step page  with pics I found on google of how to fill out a form 1 online.  Go to google and type in "eform for dummies" and it should come up. I even think it was a ar15.com page as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats btw!

Theres a guide over in the class 3 sub forum over in the armory that is pretty slick.

Thanks for the link, just need to get my trust scanned onto my computer and hopefully I'll get it submitted this weekend.

You pay online via credit card for the $200 tax fee, correct?

Thx again.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes you pay with a credit/debit card.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:16:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s65.photobucket.com/user/subiekid21/media/IMG_20140801_010900_zps2dd0f0f3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h203/subiekid21/IMG_20140801_010900_zps2dd0f0f3.jpg</a>  If you would like info on the shop that does it just let me know. He uses a laser machine located in Auburn too.
View Quote

That looks like pretty nice work. I suspect he's going to be seeing an influx of SBR-related work coming his way soon.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I also submitted on 6-24.....hoping for the same result.

So,,,,who you gonna use for engraving?
View Quote

Me too, I'm actually looking forward to Monday now

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I submitted mine 26 June, hope mine is approved soon, too!

Congrats to you!
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd love engraving info! Need to get mine done!

Heard some people discussing it at Rainier this morning.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Holy shit, mine went to approved at 2:24pm PDT today!

Again, submitted 26 June 2014

Looks like Nickie Dudash signed mine.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Hmm... cancel my paper Form 1 mailed 6/12 and resubmit via eForm, or let it ride...
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That looks like pretty nice work. I suspect he's going to be seeing an influx of SBR-related work coming his way soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s65.photobucket.com/user/subiekid21/media/IMG_20140801_010900_zps2dd0f0f3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h203/subiekid21/IMG_20140801_010900_zps2dd0f0f3.jpg</a>  If you would like info on the shop that does it just let me know. He uses a laser machine located in Auburn too.

Ya he did great work and it took about 15 minutes! Ill post a video of it its very cool to watch.  But yes I told him that there will probably be alot of guys coming in for firearm engraving now.  Sounds silly but I still wonder if I was the first one in WA to get their form 1 back since it was approved 7/29.    It would just be cool to say!  Haha
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:05:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Hmm... cancel my paper Form 1 mailed 6/12 and resubmit via eForm, or let it ride...
View Quote
Mailed my form 1 on the 12th also.  I'd stick with it man.  

I've read the paper forms are speeding up substantially now that most people are efiling.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:38:14 PM EDT
[#34]
http://youtu.be/eLOnxEgwIHk

Here is the video of the engraving! It was awesome to watch in person!
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:55:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats btw!

Awesome, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 12:14:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Ya he did great work and it took about 15 minutes! Ill post a video of it its very cool to watch.  But yes I told him that there will probably be alot of guys coming in for firearm engraving now.  Sounds silly but I still wonder if I was the first one in WA to get their form 1 back since it was approved 7/29.    It would just be cool to say!  Haha
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was it Jet City Laser that did yours? Did you just stop in or make an appointment?

I'd like to get mine done asap! Any contact info you could give would be great.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 12:59:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Was it Jet City Laser that did yours? Did you just stop in or make an appointment?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes jet city laser in Auburn did it  253-293-2164  ask for Trevor. I just called and he said come by anytime after 2:30pm. He just charges $50 cash, and you stand right there and tell him how you want it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#38]
If anyone has jet city engrave within the trigger guard area (where trigger comes through the bottom of the receiver) or front of the magwell please share pics of the work!!

Also did you get to pic the font ?
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes you get to pick the font just remember the rules for height and depth. Be sure to tell him too because he is just a engraver shop that doesn't do a lot of NFA items. Don't let that scare you he is very professional and knows how to run his machine.
I was worried at first just because I knew nothing about laser engraver machines, I thought is it going to be deep enough? Too deep? But after talking with him I trusted his info and it all turned out amazing. Like I said before he ran 2 passes to ensure it was deep enough. He told me after the 2nd pass it looked to be about .012 deep. I would go back to his shop in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:23:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yes you get to pick the font just remember the rules for height and depth. Be sure to tell him too because he is just a engraver shop that doesn't do a lot of NFA items. Don't let that scare you he is very professional and knows how to run his machine.
I was worried at first just because I knew nothing about laser engraver machines, I thought is it going to be deep enough? Too deep? But after talking with him I trusted his info and it all turned out amazing. Like I said before he ran 2 passes to ensure it was deep enough. He told me after the 2nd pass it looked to be about .012 deep. I would go back to his shop in a heart beat.
View Quote

I actually kind of like where you did it. What instructions did you give him?
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:30:57 PM EDT
[#41]
And for anyone needing general guidelines.

Section 7.4 The identification of firearms.
7.4.1 Serial numbers. Each manufacturer of a firearm must legibly identify it by engraving, stamping
(impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing on the firearm’s frame or receiver an individual serial
number not duplicating any serial number placed by the manufacturer on any other firearm.120 The
requirement that the marking be “conspicuously” placed on the firearm means that the marking must be
wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, the serial
number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch.
7.4.1.1 What is an acceptable serial number? Alpha characters (letters), for example a name,
are not acceptable as a serial number. A proper serial number may contain such characters or
letters, but it must have at least one numeric character (number). ATF takes the view that
marking “legibly” means using exclusively Roman letters (A, B, C, and so forth) and Arabic
numerals (1, 2, 3, and so forth).121 Deviations from this requirement have been found to
seriously impair ATF’s ability to trace firearms involved in crime.
7.4.2 Additional information. Certain additional information must also be conspicuously placed on
the frame, receiver, or barrel of the firearm by engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), that is, they
must be placed in such a manner that they are wholly unobstructed from plain view.
For firearms
manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch.
The additional information includes:
(1) The model, if such designation has been made;
(2) The caliber or gauge;
(3) The manufacturer’s name (or recognized abbreviation); and
(4) The city and State (or recognized abbreviation) where the manufacturer maintains its place
of business.122
7.4.3 Measuring the depth of markings. The depth of all markings is measured from the flat surface
of the metal and not the peaks or ridges. The height of serial numbers is measured as the distance
between the latitudinal ends of the character impression bottoms (bases).
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Here is the video of the engraving! It was awesome to watch in person!
View Quote

Made it hot!  

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I just basically told him it has to be a minimum of 1/16 inch tall and .003 deep and he said no problem. Then I just showed him what  and where I wanted it and we made sure it would fit.  He double checked the size of the font before we hit it and he made it a little bigger than 1/16th just to be safe.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#44]
I'll site a reference when I get to work, but I believe the height requirements apply to the serial number only.

If you form 1 an existing firearm it already has the serial number, so the maker info just needs to meet the depth requirements.

reference (parts in bold called out by me regarding serial number specific requirements and general depth requirements for all other info (including maker info)->

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 27, Volume 2]
[Revised as of April 1, 2003]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 27CFR479.102]
[Page 188-189]
TITLE 27--ALCOHOL, TOBACCO PRODUCTS AND FIREARMS
CHAPTER II--BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS, AND EXPLOSIVES,
DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
PART 479--MACHINE GUNS, DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES, AND CERTAIN OTHER FIREARMS--Table of Contents
Subpart G--Registration and Identification of Firearms
Sec. 479.102 How must firearms be identified?
(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must
legibly identify the firearm as follows:
(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise
conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped
(impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual
serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not
susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must
not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For
firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002,
the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number
must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller
than 1/16 inch; and
(2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise
conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped
(impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain
additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not
susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For
firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002,
the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information
must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information
includes:
(i) The model, if such designation has been made;
(ii) The caliber or gauge;
(iii) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when
applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker;
(iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State
(or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer
maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the
firearm; and
[[Page 189]]
(v) In the case of an imported firearm, the name of the country in
which it was manufactured and the city and State (or recognized
abbreviation thereof) where you as the importer maintain your place of
business. For additional requirements relating to imported firearms, see
Customs regulations at 19 CFR part 134.
(b) The depth of all markings required by this section will be
measured from the flat surface of the metal and not the peaks or ridges.
The height of serial numbers required by paragraph (a)(1) of this
section will be measured as the distance between the latitudinal ends of
the character impression bottoms (bases).

Basically the serial number has height and location requirements (must be on receiver), the additional maker info ('John Smith Trust Seattle WA') we engrave during the form 1 process only has depth requirements, and can be located on either the receiver or barrel.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone know whether Jet City can engrave smaller than 1/16?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Anyone know whether Jet City can engrave smaller than 1/16?
View Quote

I'm not sure but I plan on giving them a call tomorrow to try to arrange a time with them to have my lower done this week.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#47]
They can but per Trevor at Jet City the smaller you go with that deep of engraving the less clear it will turn out. At least that's what he told me when I asked. :)
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Why are you guys laser etching the lower and not the upper?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 12:09:06 AM EDT
[#49]
From all that I've ever read, you can engrave the frame or receiver (serialized part, guns like the scar have the upper that is the serialized part), or you can engrave the barrel. So on an AR type rifle, the upper would not meet this requirement cause its neither the frame\receiver or barrel.

If you did the barrel, you could avoid engraving the receiver, but if you got a different short-barreled upper you'd have to also engrave that barrel as well.

Most people just decide to engrave the frame\receiver for that reason.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#50]
I've got an appointment Thursday to have my engraving done by Trevor over at Jet City. I'll find out more details when I have it done and if anyone has any specific questions just let me know and I'll be sure to ask.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top