Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#1]
This is so cool! Sauramen, thank you for hosting the build party and thanks for bending the flats, guys. I know Skeeter had a good time doing it and I've been playing with my ak since he got home with the receivers. Still needs finishing, rivets and the "insides" but we couldn't help playing with the mock up.http://home.comcast.net/~sahobbs/Asak002.jpg
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#2]
When is the next build party?

It looks like we will have backups for most all the tools so we should be able to get the last rail spot-welded.  Maybe we will even have all our parts by then.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Most Sat's are taken up with family activities for a bit.  I have Fridays off.  I am thinking about Sunday Sept 11th.

How does that work?  That allows me enough time to get my spot welder together.  Wombat, I hear that you are working on another rivet squeezer.  Is that true?

Sauramen
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I am backpacking this weekend.  The LCR is on the 23rd-25th.  Oct 1-12 is buck season and Oct 15-23 is Doe season.

I could skip the LPCR again but the 17th or 18th look the best for me.

ETA Yeah I have a 36" bolt cutter but have not done the mod it yet.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm going to be in canada the 11th, and I won't have my parts by then anyways.  I'd like to go to the LCR shoot, but don't think I'll be able to since school starts that monday.  What about the 30th or the 31st?

ETA we might have to wait until november.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Sundays work best for me overall.

Can’t make 9-11, Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club (KRRC) is hosting Courage Classic 2005 - Law Enforcement and Civilian Charity Shooting Match that weekend. There will be a ARFCOM team there, 3-GUN: COURAGE CLASSIC 2005.

If you out that way, stop in and support the Complete Strangers - the ARFCOM team .

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#7]
The 11th is a no go for me too.

And this is my first post as a paying member
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#8]
It’s alive!

The spot welder is working after changing the tips.

I also got the rest of the Romanian kits in and the flat jig so we should be making receivers twice as fast next time we get together.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Bump with an announcement:

I brought my spot welder back to life!  A new set of tips (some nice Miller ones from McMaster-Carr) and I'm back in business.  I think we over heated the tips and caused some corrosion/loss of contact between the tips and tongs.  

ETA:
Dammit, he beat me to it!  (if only the garage were closer to my apt) We also finally got the pistol grip reinforcing plates too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Tag, I need the info for my upcoming build..
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I believe that the family (except myself) will be going to Boise this weekend coming up.  I am thinking about another build party on Sat., Sept 24th.

What do you think?

Sauramen
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Works for me!  It is LCR weekend but I would like to get an AK build done.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:43:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I have been hook'd on this idea all day, Im ordering my kits in a couple of hours,, Am I going to have a prob bending my receivers with a metal bender ( I dont know what the heck they are really called, it is like a press) or should I go a different route?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:11:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have been hook'd on this idea all day, Im ordering my kits in a couple of hours,, Am I going to have a prob bending my receivers with a metal bender ( I dont know what the heck they are really called, it is like a press) or should I go a different route?

It is best to use a jig for the bending.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I checked with the boss.  This Sat is a go.  I have all the materials required to bend, heat treat and spot weld a flat.  I need to bend up about 8 more.  I might get some of them done Friday.

I hope that we can do some of the post receiver stuff this time.   Folks should start showing up about 0800.  That gives me time to have some coffe and start to become human.

Sauramen
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:20:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Well I have a flat jig now so with two of them this should go fast.  I still need to get the bolt cutters modified and I don’t know if that will be done in time.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#17]
ok my kits just arived.  I need a run down on what else I need.  I know I need the flats, but is that it?  Do I have to order up some rivets?  Will people at the build party have stuff on hand that I can buy, beg, borrow, or steal?  Any spare flats gonna be at the party that I can buy off someone?  When is the date set for?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:01:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Wombat,

We still have my untried 36" rivet squeezer.  I also have an as yet unmodified 36" bolt cutter.  I guess we will see how it works.

All my rivet sets are from Tapco (directly or indirectly).  I will need to order a few sets.  I do have some trigger groups to play with.

If you wish to come Sat, please let me know so that I can give you directions (for those that need directions).

What I have in the shop

I have in my garage

Flat bending jig
230 volt spot welder (for rails)
12 ton press and plates
220V Mig welder
2 drill presses
220 V LARGE air compresser
air grinding tools
rivet squeezer (converted 36" bolt cutter)
dremel
various hand tools
small pony bottle size welding set up and torches (heat treating)
10 flats to bend
2 weldable flats to do
A registered reciever to compare with
A WASR-10 and SEAK to comepare to.
Lots of stuff cluttering up the joint

I have 2 folding "truck gun" gradfes to put together. 2 more for later.

Wombat has another flat bending jig and various bucking bars for rivets.

I still need good rivets.

Sauramen
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:46:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Wombat,

We still have my untried 36" rivet squeezer.  I also have an as yet unmodified 36" bolt cutter.  I guess we will see how it works.

Sauramen

I will bring the little press, and jigs for the flats and trigger guards.  

I have a few extra rivets for horse-trading.  We also might have some flats with the trunion and tang holes pre-drilled.  What we need are flats without the holes for the folders, anyone got some they want to trade?

Is there anything else I should bring?

Quoted:
ok my kits just arived.  I need a run down on what else I need.  I know I need the flats, but is that it?  Do I have to order up some rivets?  

You will need a flat, good rivets, and 5 other US made parts (G2 trigger, pistol grip, slant break or gas piston, maybe even the stock needs replaced).  You have a Romanian kit right?  You should also read up on how to put it together.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#20]
All right I'm in for Saturday.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#21]
check the spacing on the lower rails before welding anymore flats, I'm gonna have to adjust the right side rails on my 2.
it seams tapco drilled the holes in the wrong spot

Wish I could make it to this one but I'm on my way to Kansas
Have fun and post more pics.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wombat,

Sauramen

I will bring the little press, and jigs for the flats and trigger guards.  

I have a few extra rivets for horse-trading.  We also might have some flats with the trunion and tang holes pre-drilled.  What we need are flats without the holes for the folders, anyone got some they want to trade?

Is there anything else I should bring?

Quoted:
ok my kits just arived.  I need a run down on what else I need.  I know I need the flats, but is that it?  Do I have to order up some rivets?  

You will need a flat, good rivets, and 5 other US made parts (G2 trigger, pistol grip, slant break or gas piston, maybe even the stock needs replaced).  You have a Romanian kit right?  You should also read up on how to put it together.

can I work with just the flat's and rivets for the build right now and order the trigger/other US parts later?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
check the spacing on the lower rails before welding anymore flats, I'm gonna have to adjust the right side rails on my 2.

I kind of wondered about that, remember that the distance between the rails and the top bend of the recievers was different on each side.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#24]
yep, slip the front trunnion in then look from the back, the  rails should line up with the shelves on the front trunnion.
oh well, we can either remove and reweld or try to shim the ones already done, but definately want to get the spacing right before doing any more.

can I work with just the flat's and rivets for the build right now and order the trigger/other US parts later?

Yes, as long as you don't assemble more than 10 foreign parts you're still legal, so just don't put your trigger group and such on till you have the U.S. parts
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#25]
bump

Sauramen
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I ordered headspace gauges but they will not be here until Monday.  

I will also bring my newest build since some of you seemed interested in 1911s.  I wish my camera still worked; I would post a picture.

Should we try the heat-treating with water this time?  

Any plans for an H or C mod to the press?

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:06:08 AM EDT
[#27]
BTT

It is still a go for Sat. at 0800.  I need to drop the son off at 0830 but no big deal.

What mods do the press are you speaking of?  I don't remember.  I have taken the one side apart and put large washers between the members to take up the slack that was there due to unequal length cross braces.  It has helped with the torque issue somwhat.  I think I will try to use a spacer on the other side.  It is not exactly correct either.

Please elaberate on the mod.  I am off today and may be able to accomplish it before Sat.  Give me a call and let me know.

Sauramen

PS Oh, I think I see what you mean.  The handle for the jack release.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Brian and I are off as well.  We plan on doing some prep work to the AKs and then hitting the range with my new build.  Do you want to join us?

ETA: The image above should be a hot link.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
BTT

It is still a go for Sat. at 0800.  I need to drop the son off at 0830 but no big deal.

What mods do the press are you speaking of?  I don't remember.  I have taken the one side apart and put large washers between the members to take up the slack that was there due to unequal length cross braces.  It has helped with the torque issue somwhat.  I think I will try to use a spacer on the other side.  It is not exactly correct either.

Please elaberate on the mod.  I am off today and may be able to accomplish it before Sat.  Give me a call and let me know.

Sauramen

PS Oh, I think I see what you mean.  The handle for the jack release.

what saturday are you guys talking about??
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#30]
THIS ONE

The preceding message brought to you by Wombat.  I guess I need to log off on my own computer
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I am thinking about another build party on Sat., Sept 24th.

Sauramen

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:53:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am thinking about another build party on Sat., Sept 24th.

Sauramen

arrgh!
I don't have my flats yet!! GRRRR

ETA: I thought it was going to be *after* the LCR shoot?.....
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I kind of wondered about that, remember that the distance between the rails and the top bend of the recievers was different on each side.

About .070  different?...

This is a pic in the BIY forum, of a really f-d up Tapco flat, Most was the fault of the builder, but I cant help but notice the one side rail is lower.

My guess is that the alignment holes on the tapco flat are a touch off?. But then I dont even know if they were bending off of a press/jig.

Anyway Im going to order a couple different Flats from different sources anyway, It is also a reason to order a couple more kits.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:29:57 AM EDT
[#34]
It ended up being kind of late last night, (I got home at 10, but had to put the FCG in last night too),  but here are some pics from yesterday.  The rivets were not great, but we did improve our technique during the course of the 2 rifles that got finished.  Now all I need are some "E clips" for the hammer and trigger pins and I'm ready to test fire.  And just for the record these things are a lot of work, but its nice to build it you self.

ETA:  I looks like the rails being uneven doesn't matter, the bolts on the 2 we got done cycled fine, they felt just like the WASR we had there, its rails were uneven too.

Lots of kits

Dueling spot welders

Starting to come to gether

Pressing a barrel back in, which when much smother than I thought it would

Pressing the barrel pin in, again easier than expected

And the almost finished rifles, now I only have 4 more to complete

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Great pic's guys, Im glad to hear that you had less of a hastle pressing the BBl's then expected. (that was going to be one of my wonders)..

I just addend another kit to my collection, So Im up to 3 that need to be built. and with the 1st of Jan just around the corner Im still looking at other kits...

Im not sure if it is a good thing or a bad thing that I did not start getting these kits sooner than later.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
 Now all I need are some "E clips" for the hammer and trigger pins and I'm ready to test fire.  

Sorry I took the E clips when I left; they are still in the car.

So did you test fire them yet?

R-32 the ones I measured were nowhere around 70 thousands.  So are up to about 20 but it looks like that is acceptable for good function.  The last ones we bent yesterday are with in 2 or 3 thousands.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I stayed up later last night and put the fire control geoup in.  The shepards hook was not bad to get in.  I had to figure out how to make it.  It was a real B@#$% to get back off.  I had forgotten to put the sleeve on the trigger assembley.  I thought I would never get it off.  

I never thought to use e-clips!  That would be much nicer.  

I also found out my kit did not have the little ball point pen spring from the trigger in the old kit.  My mag release was dissassembled too.  I need the spring for thAT.  I stole parts off of another kit and need to find a replacement.  Any ideas who might sell them?  I also need some of the Long rivets.  The tapco ones did not work.  Brian was kind enough to loan me 2.  Any ideas on where to get more long rivets?

I just got back from the range.  I put 20 rounds thru the pipe.  No issues.  I t ran wonderfully.  It was even sighted in!

Sauramen
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I just got back from the range the second time today, it ran great both times especially the second with the correct size e clips.  It also bumps great (especially with the stock folded)

Sauramen, I think I forgot the sleeve on my trigger too, I wondered what that extra litle tube was
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I couldn't make it again this time  Is there gonna be another session soon?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top