Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2017 8:33:35 PM EDT
Can anyone recommend a course of action for me?

I would like to get the roof on my mom's house looked at by a roofer type person. A couple months back, I redid the cool coat and quite a few sections are pretty spongy. No leaks or obvious damage yet, though.

The roof was last replaced probably 20+ years ago. I think I was still in high school or earlier, and I am 39 now.

My dad was never really happy with the job the roofers did back then. It's held, but looks shitty compared to other roofs in the neighborhood. Not very uniform, some waviness. Why he didn't get it taken care of back then, while the guys were up there, I have no idea.

Next question: His shop is just a smallish 2 car steel shell in the back yard. Currently, it's cluttered with a bunch of crap, due to semi pack-rat tendencies of my mom, dad, and myself. Family goal this year is to clean it out and get it usable.

I'd like to get it insulated and possibly run AC in it. Who has done this? Would spray in insulation be the way to go? Gluing in fiberglass insulation?

Any suggestions?

The AC can be taken care of no problem, my brother-in-law has a refrigeration company.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Spongy probably means some of the decking is bad due to water. Needs a full strip and inspect. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top