Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2014 2:47:44 AM EDT
My fiancee and I are moving to Tucson in the next couple months. Her mom got a job as a MRI technologist at UofA and my fiancee got accepted to UofA as a student as well. We've been wanting to move down there for quite awhile and everything is just now starting to fall into place. I have a few questions for those of you in the area.

1st, I'm sure you get asked this by just about everyone comin down there, but just how damn hot does it get in the summers? I'm comin from southern Oregon and it gets up to the low hundreds for a couple months but mostly we get rain.

2nd, I know the shooting communtiy in Arizona is incredible but what about the Tucson area? What ranges/clubs are near by? I'll most likely be out in the dessert shootin away but ranges are always nice too. Eta: I just saw the tacked thread about ranges and I've been lookin around in there.

3rd, whats the economy and the job market like down there? I'm in community college now (paramedicine with hopes of being a firefighter) but currently the only real world job experience I have is working in a hardwood plywood mill the past 5 years (got hired on right out of high school) .

Also curious about the sights and outdoorsy stuff goin on. I like to get out and hike and I've heard there's a ton of cool hiking and/or camping areas around.

Any other tips, tricks, pointers, or info you have would be great.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:26:39 AM EDT
[#1]
1. First few summer months will be a bitch, then you will love it afterwards. I'm a transplant from a cold, snowy area, first summer was rough at the beginning. You just have to embrace it.

2. Pima Pistol Club, Tucson Rifle Club and the Marksman Institute are the only places I have been to, due to the fact that you can just drive 30 minute out of town into the desert almost any direction for some fun.

3. Tucson is a college town, the professional job market is "meh". Endless supply of service industry jobs.

Want outdoorsy stuff? Mt. Lemmon if you want to get out of the desert.

The town is completely surrounded 360 degrees by hiking areas. Sabino Canyon is fantastic. Reddington, Dove Mountain, all the foothills areas. All fantastic. Pretty much once again head any direction out of town and you will hit trailheads.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been to Ashland, Eugene, and camped up in Roger's Peak, Tillamook. You ain't going to find that environment here, lol.

The heat? Its pretty mild compared to Iraq and Kuwait, so my opinion is tainted. But AC and tinting is the way to go, man. It will be easier on the bills of summer if you invest in energy star AC products. THe highest I went in one month of last summer was $68.00, and that was in AUG and I had left the AC on most of the time.

AZ will be what you make of it, so long as you stay positive and look for things to do...and we have lots of it or can travel to it. Don't forget to pick up your freedom at the border.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#3]
1.  Summers will be warm 105-110 most days, it's uncomfortable but not horrible.

2.  The only ranges in the city limits (that I know of) are the Marksman indoor ranges.  They only allow small calibers, think handguns and 22s.  The city of Tucson is not very gun friendly, we have a democrat mayor and every city council member is also a democrat.  There are a few ranges outside of town, Catalina, Three Points and by the fairgrounds.  Depending on where you live it will likely be 25-30 minutes to the nearest range.  Gun culture in Tucson isn't as strong as say the Phoenix area and Prescott area.

3.  Job market in Tucson is hot and cold, depending on the occupation.  Wages are generally lower than Phoenix area.  I know a few fire fighters, they did a few years of wild lands before finding a spot with a local department.  

Lots of outdoorsy stuff as others have said.  Mt. Lemmon is extremely popular as is Sabino Canyon and Sahuaro National Monument East.

If you need/want to be close to the U of A, I would recommend living north and east of campus.  Generally the south west side is pretty rough, the west side is okay as long as you don't mind a little foul odor, parts of the east side are nice others are rough.

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the awesome info so far guys!

One more question I forgot, hows the hunting down there? I've always been a deer hunter so whats that like down there? Coyote hunting? You guys hunt those weird javalina things?
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I grew up in Tucson and live in S Vista now.  You will acclimate to Arizona weather and then learn to adapt.  In addition to the ranges already listed (I'm a member of two of them) there is the range I work at The South East Regional Park SERP which is the Pima County Range next to the fairground in Vail. (Where you might look to actually live.)
I own gatorfarmtactical.com and we teach CCW, etc in a nice classroom at SERP and have classes coming up in January.  My chief instructor is a member here and is also a TPD Detective Sergeant.  I am sponsoring Massad Ayoob for his legal course in March 7-8.  Mas has written 30+ books now and has come to Tucson to defend several of our (arfcom) members who have been in shootings.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't listen to those guys, it doesn't actually get that hot in Tucson.  

It's almost always a good 5-6 degrees cooler down there than in Phoenix, so when it is 120 in PHX it's usually a nice breezy 114 in Tucson.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Disregard the job question found a good one already

Thanks all of you for the info. The hunting regs are really similiar to here, we are a one buck per year state as well. I'm really excited to do some predator hunting down there as well. I've always wanted to get into it but just never have.

Talking to my fiancee and I may be comin down as soon as March and then her a few months later!
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Get here by the 7th and take Ayoob's course.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Tucson Fire Dept will be starting an application process in January if you are still interested in being a FF.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:38:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My fiancee and I are moving to Tucson in the next couple months. Her mom got a job as a MRI technologist at UofA and my fiancee got accepted to UofA as a student as well. We've been wanting to move down there for quite awhile and everything is just now starting to fall into place. I have a few questions for those of you in the area.

1st, I'm sure you get asked this by just about everyone comin down there, but just how damn hot does it get in the summers? I'm comin from southern Oregon and it gets up to the low hundreds for a couple months but mostly we get rain.

I grew up in humidity, and you will hear the same ol' tired bullshit line of "it's a dry heat". Still f'n hot and worse, your sweat evaporates so quickly that to me, my skin feels like it's shrinking. Been here since 2000 and I still can't stand it.

2nd, I know the shooting communtiy in Arizona is incredible but what about the Tucson area? What ranges/clubs are near by? I'll most likely be out in the dessert shootin away but ranges are always nice too. Eta: I just saw the tacked thread about ranges and I've been lookin around in there.

Tucson, shitty liberal idiots running the place. As mentioned, 3 Points and Pima County Range next to fair grounds.

3rd, whats the economy and the job market like down there? I'm in community college now (paramedicine with hopes of being a firefighter) but currently the only real world job experience I have is working in a hardwood plywood mill the past 5 years (got hired on right out of high school) .

Economy ..... meh.... There is a hospital being built in the Green Valley area. Also, you might consider renting in the Green Valley area. I'd tell you Sahuarita, but if the zip code is 85629, then insurance rates will be higher than 85614. Plenty of homes sitting empty waiting for renters in the 85614 area. The drive up the I-19, BR-19 isn't that bad.

Also closer to BLM land in Green Valley-Sahuarita area.

Also curious about the sights and outdoorsy stuff goin on. I like to get out and hike and I've heard there's a ton of cool hiking and/or camping areas around.

Lot of camping areas. Hiking areas too. All evidenced by all the f'n shit the illegals and traffickers leave behind.

None that I can think of at the moment.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 3:34:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I grew up in Tucson and live in S Vista now.  You will acclimate to Arizona weather and then learn to adapt.  In addition to the ranges already listed (I'm a member of two of them) there is the range I work at The South East Regional Park SERP which is the Pima County Range next to the fairground in Vail. (Where you might look to actually live.)
I own gatorfarmtactical.com and we teach CCW, etc in a nice classroom at SERP and have classes coming up in January.  My chief instructor is a member here and is also a TPD Detective Sergeant.  I am sponsoring Massad Ayoob for his legal course in March 7-8.  Mas has written 30+ books now and has come to Tucson to defend several of our (arfcom) members who have been in shootings.
View Quote

I looked around your website, but couldn't find a schedule for the CCW classes at SERP. My wife wants to get her CCW, and we live in Corona, so this location is ideal.

Please PM me with any details about who/when to contact.

Thanks,
Chas.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Hi, I just got the new schedule and will put it on my website this evening.  1/18 is the legal issues of CCW which is our CCW course. Register by calling 520-877-6290.  Send a  $80. check to  to PCNRPR Atten Class Registration 3500 W. River Road Tucson, AZ 65741.  Your instructor will be Detective Sergeant Brian Kowalski.  Brian has testified successfully in the defense of at least 2 of our members.  I will I M those of you who asked when I get home tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Monsoon season is always interesting in Tucson, starts in July-ish.

When it gets going, some of the rains will make what you encountered in Oregon a joke. Seriously.

Oh, and get used to potholes in roads. The local political establishment would rather spend money on soccer fields than maintaining the roads. Idiocy!

And VOTE. Even in the Primaries. AZ makes it super easy to register and vote absentee.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:46:05 AM EDT
[#15]
It's official! I will be heading down March 20th! Reay looking forward to it we've been planning this move a long ass time.

Also, is it true that I won't need any type of permit to conceal carry down there?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:48:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tucson Fire Dept will be starting an application process in January if you are still interested in being a FF.
View Quote

Shit dude I can't believe I skipped over this post. I'm not coming down tillarch but I'll pome in and get my name out there at least for the next one. Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:08:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's official! I will be heading down March 20th! Reay looking forward to it we've been planning this move a long ass time.

Also, is it true that I won't need any type of permit to conceal carry down there?
View Quote
Nope, you don't. You just have to know where and where not to carry. I suggest you take a local CC course here to be informed of the matters.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:12:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nope, you don't. You just have to know where and where not to carry. I suggest you take a local CC course here to be informed of the matters.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I'll probably give Threefeathers a call and take a class to be safe.

And Anthemofthemind was talking about a Rizzo ammo tax? Obviously its a joke but wtf is that?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:18:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

And Anthemofthemind was talking about a Rizzo ammo tax? Obviously its a joke but wtf is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soon.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:21:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soon.

Well shit that doesn't sound good!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soon.

My phone number is on the site but I'll IM you information about the classes.  We are about to expand, I had a long talk with Mas Ayoob and we are now the sole representative for the Massad Ayoob Group in Arizona and southern N. Mex.  He wants to make Tucson his western hub.  He has several relatives who will be stationed at a near by military base so that makes sense.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My phone number is on the site but I'll IM you information about the classes.  We are about to expand, I had a long talk with Mas Ayoob and we are now the sole representative for the Massad Ayoob Group in Arizona and southern N. Mex.  He wants to make Tucson his western hub.  He has several relatives who will be stationed at a near by military base so that makes sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soon.

Cool I'd love to take a class.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top