Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2014 9:25:27 AM EDT
A buddy is in the process of buying a house and moving to Az from out of state. He closes on the Az house in a few weeks, but will be going back and forth from out of state to the new house in Az for a few months before the move is permanent. Will he be able to buy a gun through an FFL as soon as he closes on the Az house and has an Az drivers license?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

A buddy is in the process of buying a house and moving to Az from out of state. He closes on the Az house in a few weeks, but will be going back and forth from out of state to the new house in Az for a few months before the move is permanent. Will he be able to buy a gun through an FFL as soon as he closes on the Az house and has an Az drivers license?
View Quote
That's generally how things work.  On the 4473, as long as you have proof of residence (in the form of valid government issued photo ID with the usual junk on it), you're GTG to buy firearms using that ID and address.

If he's worried about it, and the dealer is intelligent--he could use property tax documents for the new house in conjunction with another valid ID to validate temporary two-state residence during the time of his move.  Most dealers hate doing that, though, because they are terrible business people (IMO) and don't concern themselves with a situation that might be a 1-in-500 chance of happening.

Granted, this information is true as experienced through my business dealings in KY, so feel free to verify elsewhere if you wish.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Seven-Shooter, thanks for the feedback.
I wasn't sure if he would be considered a resident as soon as he closed on the house and had his Az DL. I assume as long as you have a valid Az address and AZ DL, you'd be GTG?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I wasn't sure if he would be considered a resident as soon as he closed on the house and had his Az DL. I assume as long as you have a valid Az address and AZ DL, you'd be GTG?
View Quote
There are no legal requirements to establish residency in AZ.  An AZID card or AZDL will work just fine as government issued proof that you are an AZ resident.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.  Unless he is a resident alien and not a US Citizen.  Then he has to be a resident for 90 days (unless that has changed recently).  Otherwise as soon as he has his new AZ DL he is good to go.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:31:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes.  Unless he is a resident alien and not a US Citizen.  Then he has to be a resident for 90 days (unless that has changed recently).  Otherwise as soon as he has his new AZ DL he is good to go.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is a US citizen. Coming to Az from behind enemy lines.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Be sure he has his physical address put on his DL.  They are getting much tougher about that.  Won't sell you one with only a mailing address.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Be sure he has his physical address put on his DL.  They are getting much tougher about that.  Won't sell you one with only a mailing address.

View Quote

they still can sell to someone with a mailing address on their DL.  But the purchaser must bring evidence of the physical address, in the form of a utility bill, rental agreement, mortage paperwork, etc, and the physical address must be on the 4473, not the mailing address.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:15:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
they still can sell to someone with a mailing address on their DL.  But the purchaser must bring evidence of the physical address, in the form of a utility bill, rental agreement, mortage paperwork, etc, and the physical address must be on the 4473, not the mailing address.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes This ^^^...for some damn reason I used to always forget some other form of evidence.  I used to have my PO on my DL...not any more, had it changed about 4 years ago...makes it so much easier.  Especially with a CCW.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:32:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that the additional ID showing an address be only in the form of Government Issue, i.e. tax bill, water bill, auto registration, etc.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for the feedback!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#11]
If he is moving into the Phoenix area have him check out all the local ranges. Ben Avery Shooting Facility on the north side of Phoenix, Rio Salado on the North east side. Phoenix Rod and Gun club on the south side. Joe Foss range out on the west side.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If he is moving into the Phoenix area have him check out all the local ranges. Ben Avery Shooting Facility on the north side of Phoenix, Rio Salado on the North east side. Phoenix Rod and Gun club on the south side. Joe Foss range out on the west side.
View Quote

I'm sure we'll be spending a lot of time at Ben Avery.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Proof of residency for green card holders changed a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I believe that the additional ID showing an address be only in the form of Government Issue, i.e. tax bill, water bill, auto registration, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is correct.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not that it is particularly worrisome for the OPs friend, but this is also correct.  Green is green, provided they meet the same qualifications as anyone else.  I have yet to see an incident where they haven't lived at a location for a bit, but that's just my experience.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:54:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought that changed last year but wasn't sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top