Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 10/12/2013 6:16:53 PM EDT
Tripped over some pallets of these. What you think I should offer for them?

There are more than whats shown. They all seem to be in good condition with nice seals.
For scrap by weight it might be 100$
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I would ask them what they would want for you to take them off their hands and then lowball them.

Whatever you end up offering, I will buy 5 of the flat ones from you if you end up with them. Hell, I'll even show up with my truck and 16 foot trailer to help you move them.

Link Posted: 10/12/2013 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#2]
If you helped me move them I would give you ten. They are way back in there and might need to be humped out manually.

Just wanted to gauge interest and see if it was worth the effort. probably 50ft from the nearest parking place.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#3]
If you get them cheap enough and offer them cheap, you will get rid of them very quickly. Posting them up for sale at the other site (az specific one) would likely get rid of the majority.

I can see the flat ones being very useful and most popular. What would you guess the dimensions of them to be? They look to be 2ft wide x 1ft deep, by 10 inches high?

ETA, I will gladly help.

Link Posted: 10/12/2013 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I would buy a bunch of those. Hit me up if you get them, or pm me he location.

I would gladly help you move them, I don't have a truck but I'll help get them to one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd be down for a flat one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#6]
That's pretty close. I didn't have a tape but the first person to identify the ammo that went in them will give us the exact dimensions with Google.

I though that looks like a great size too. Could maybe slipped under a bed. The others would be throw ins. The tall ones. I could have bought a couple but I would like to get them all.

Would be a shame to have them made into man hole covers. The flat ones are 30 to a pallet. I am guessing 4x4.

Link Posted: 10/12/2013 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#7]
How many pallets are there? Do you need someone to split the cost with you? Rent a truck?
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#8]

The link says 81mm ammo box? Further googling says 81mm mortars

AMMO BOX - 81MM CAN

sku#: 81mm
Our Price: $24.95
Quantity:

US GI ISSUE  81 mm mortar round box.  Measures approx 22 3/4' x 14'x 5.5'  This  box is like a tall 25mm ammo can basically.  Used, but great condtion. Complete with gasket.  RARE FIND!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is the foreground picture. This is how the rest of them are. just laying around. Those were the most organized.

The rest were just kind of stacked around. I think there are two more pallets behind the three you see and four of the tall ones.

Link Posted: 10/12/2013 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I know the owner but have neither the space or time to be selling these. I will bargain for a price for singles and the whole lot.

I was going to offer 3$ a can which is way above market for scrap. If he takes that is this too steep for you cheap skates.

Link Posted: 10/12/2013 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm in for a few. On Monday I'll see if anyone at my work wants any.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#12]
At $3 I'd buy a  shitload of them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd take a few of the brown ones. You know where to find me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Well I have found enough interest to pursue this. Lets see if he thinks they are made of gold or scrap.

If it is scrap well this will make a few folks happy. I will talk to the man when I can and will see if it works for us.

Thanks for the input but may need some feet on the ground to help move them out.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 9:40:27 PM EDT
[#15]
The 81 boxes are great for gear. I got some years ago. They were not water tight and had several holes punched in them. They had glued in foam strips to cradle ammo but it came out with a little work. If you throw it in the back of your SUV wrap the handles in para or the rattle will drive you nuts.

What part of town are they in? I would like to look at the shelving units!
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 10:05:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm interested.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 10:18:37 PM EDT
[#17]
whereabouts are you mauser?
I would like a few....but can't drive too far from the east valley and don't want to ask for some if it will be a pain to collect?
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I am interested in 2 or 3 mortar cans
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 11:27:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I see people occasionally park on the corner near rio salado to unload these.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 12:14:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Count me in for a couple, and if your in Phoenix I can lend a hand moving them as well.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 12:52:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Ill take five  of each kind if you will give them to me for five bucks a piece.  That way you can make a couple bucks if he takes the 3 dollar a can deal.So dibs in line if you get it.

Link Posted: 10/13/2013 1:35:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ill take five  of each kind if you will give them to me for five bucks a piece.  That way you can make a couple bucks if he takes the 3 dollar a can deal.So dibs in line if you get it.
View Quote

I'd be interested in the same quantities if the price is $3-5 a can.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 5:29:34 AM EDT
[#23]
im in for 5 of each let me know
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 6:14:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I would be interested in some of the green ones.  I have a 10' x 5' trailer so I could help move some.  All depending on location, of course.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 6:34:25 AM EDT
[#25]
I was thinking of it being a group buy kind of thing.  So we do not get crossways of site rules.

Secondly this place is like a maze of trails and there may very well be more piles like this in other parts of the lot.

He has aircraft drop tanks civil defense stuff  I only had about a hour to explore. It's been years since I really knew the place.

He had a forklift back there at some time. It would be a big help if he could get it back there again.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 6:46:16 AM EDT
[#26]

I can't seem to entice any ammo can distributors into coming to my Gun Shows here in Kingman and selling them --- and here you've found them just sitting around in a scrap yard going to waste. Damn it!
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 6:54:29 AM EDT
[#27]
That's what I thought, what a waste. I would like to just get them into circulation. Would make a damn spacious ammo fort too.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 6:54:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

He has aircraft drop tanks and civil defense stuff  I only had about a hour to explore. It's been years since I really knew the place.
View Quote

Mauser, if the chance presents itself could you take a picture or two of the  Civil Defense "stuff" he has? I'm a nut for old CD stuff and might be interested in some of it (finder's fee for you if I buy anything). Thanks buddy!
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#29]
The easiest things to spot are the water cans that double for a toilet when emptied.  Several hundred of those laying around. Sure I will get some more pictures.

He let me back there because he knew me and I will share where it's located after I ask for a price on the cans. But if I say where it is now.

What do you want to bet when I go there in the afternoon he would say "I just sold those today".
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 7:08:09 AM EDT
[#30]
When was the last time you saw kegs of nuts and bolts. He should run tours through this place. Not safe in any way though.
The farther back you go the older the stuff gets.

After this I will quit boring you with my pictures. I am sure there are some firemen on here. If you want to research something here it is.
I present to you Phoenix fire engine 15. That's what it says on the door on the other side that isn't bleached by the sun. From the 40's I think.
This gives a much better view of it. I do have another from the other side though.

This is what I came to shoot when I found the ammo cans.Got lost on the way back.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#31]
I'll buy a couple of the motar boxes as well....
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Is the trailer on the first page for sale as well
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 12:16:38 PM EDT
[#33]
It's a scrap yard so I bet everything is pretty much for sale.  It seems as stuff got buried it was more hassle than it was worth to dig it out.

They seem to have been into government auctions early on. When I go back to haggle for the cans I will ask about it.

Or you can ask him yourself when I post up the location in a couple of days. Good luck getting it down looks like it weighs a ton.

Link Posted: 10/13/2013 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd take a pair of the 81mm boxes.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd like to get in on the mortar cans if possible.  I so wish I was still in a house I owned with plenty of yard space right now.  I think I could have some fun at that place.  Looks like lots of cool stuff there.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I could use a couple of both. I have a truck and a trailer if you need help getting them out of the scrap yard.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
At $3 I'd buy a  shitload of them.
View Quote

THIS
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 2:53:09 PM EDT
[#38]
I do not have much going on this week.  I would be happy to lend a hand with any labor involved.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#39]
I will drive a price. The fact he let me look doesn't mean he might not be a ass. I will inform everyone of price and location.

This could be good or a disappointment. I have never bought anything from him just looked around. I do have high hopes.

He really has some good stuff though.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 6:06:22 AM EDT
[#40]
I would be interested in 3-4 or each kind.  Depends on the location, but if you do it on a weekend I will help you hump them out.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 9:36:51 AM EDT
[#41]
I would be interested in 3 of them 81 boxes to start, more than likely more 6 shortly after if still available.

Man that place looks like a gold mine!  I see lots of stuff in the background that I would like to scrounge through!  I can spend all weekend at the scrapyards, and in all my travels this one does not look familiar.  Would you mind sharing location with me after this deal goes through?
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#42]
interested in ~4 of the flat mortar cans as well
Also interested in learning more about that locations could be an interesting place to visit down the road to see what else is buried/forgotten
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#43]
I'd like to get some too so count me in.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 3:17:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Well went there at about 9am and spoke to his son who called him up with the offer. The reply was that he would double my offer to 6$ and buy every possible one I could bring to him.
Yep threw that low ball too low. He would only recognise me face to face so I was just Joe blow to him. He said they were 10 to 12$ and thats what they would sell for.
Now if they are worth 25$ plus shipping someone could still make a buck here. The tall ones at 10$ might go for what 16$ But there would be no shipping per say.

Too rich for my blood. If I had the cash I still might think of it, but sadly I do not.

Location. The old Apache reclamation lot on lower Buckeye west of 35av. The train tracks form the western boundary and is the best way to access the lot.
The farther south you go the older stuff gets. Have good boots and a Tet nus shot thats up to date and you can get lost back there.

I would check Google earth and see what kind of image they have on it. There is a barn / house with some pens that held livestock at sometime, Look just south east of there 20 yards or so and there they are.
There used to be a pallet of PRC-6 Korean era radios. There too I could not remember where they were though.  A movie prop company took all the antennas and some radios but left about 50 behind.

That was about four years ago.Happy hunting.
PRC-6
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:56:57 AM EDT
[#45]

So now they'll all remain there, strapped to their rotting pallets being sun bleached. Some people just can't fathom the economics of "turnover" (hence the reason he has such a large inventory of 'junk').
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 6:08:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So now they'll all remain there, strapped to their rotting pallets being sun bleached. Some people just can't fathom the economics of "turnover" (hence the reason he has such a large inventory of 'junk').
View Quote

and another 10 years he will still be asking the same price.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 7:09:37 AM EDT
[#47]
I Think I found it.

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 7:16:31 AM EDT
[#48]

BINGO I do believe thats it. We were standing just south east of them in that little clearing. Never saw there was a road behind them.

Just North you can see a dumpster placed across the road.  The yellow one at the bottom. It' just like a giant question mark with that RDB trailer blocking the top end.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#49]
evidently more of a scrap collector rather than a scrap seller...

There are some folks like that down my way,  I say let them be buried with their junk if they are so married to it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
evidently more of a scrap collector rather than a scrap seller...

There are some folks like that down my way,  I say let them be buried with their junk if they are so married to it.
View Quote

I agree - my Dad taught me that something is only worth what someone will give you for it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top