Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 1/28/2016 10:32:32 PM EDT
I had a woman hit my truck 2 weeks ago while she was texting.  She has Progressive insurance, and they won't accept my body shops estimate.  They want to directly negotiate a price to repair with me and see if my body shop will except it.  The body shop says this is typical from Progressive, and they will take care of it.  They told me to tell Progressive I want to file a "Diminished Value" claim do to future loss of trade in value of my truck.  Has anyone had luck doing this?  How do I go about this?
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:59:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Good luck...

The only way my insurance company said they would pay out diminished value was for me to actually sell the car and show a loss in trade in value as direct proof that you lost money...

Basically you need a dealership to say they are offering you "x" for your truck due to an accident and if you didn't have the accident they would have offered you "y".

But you will again have to actually sell the truck otherwise you haven't lost anything in their opinion
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good luck...

The only way my insurance company said they would pay out diminished value was for me to actually sell the car and show a loss in trade in value as direct proof that you lost money...

Basically you need a dealership to say they are offering you "x" for your truck due to an accident and if you didn't have the accident they would have offered you "y".

But you will again have to actually sell the truck otherwise you haven't lost anything in their opinion
View Quote

I didn't quite follow what he was saying, but this makes sense.  I didn't know how to assess the lost value.  Now Progressive wants to give me a check for $650 under the estimate and see if the body shop will do the work for cash. Insurance is a scam at best.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Huh?

You should be dealing with YOUR insurance company, not hers.  They will fix your truck and sue her insurance company for the cost.  You'll have to front your deductible until your insurance company gets restitution.

-- Chuck
View Quote

This. My girlfriend is in insurance. I'll ask her and post back
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with the above, work through your insurance as that is who you pay. In this instance progressive has no incentive to do you any favors.

That being said, I currently have been with Progressive for over 10 years now myself and have always had excellent service. They have always paid out quickly and sometimes for more than what my body shop charged.

It is also possible that your shop is inflating the price due to being an insurance claim you may want to get a second opinion, if the shop is outside of the standard they may not have to pay their rate.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I didn't quite follow what he was saying, but this makes sense.  I didn't know how to assess the lost value.  Now Progressive wants to give me a check for $650 under the estimate and see if the body shop will do the work for cash. Insurance is a scam at best.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck...

It might help to explain what the difference is between their estimate and the insurance companies.

Is it because the shop wants to use original parts and the insurance company wants to use aftermarket? Or is the shop having issues with the insurance company paying enough time to fix a dent?

Insurance isn't a scam, it is a highly regulated industry that I spent a number of years in....that was a long time ago but if you can explain the difference we would be better able to answe your questions
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#7]
She is not an agent but she says deal with only your insurance company. Your insurance company deals with it and then will go after her insurance company for the cost and court costs.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I got hit be a girl with Safe auto.  It was clearly her fault. They said get 3 estimates.  First they told me they had to investigate the accident scene.  Then they keep telling me it was under investigation. This went on for a few weeks.  The adjuster was a real ass.  Finally I called an attorney.  He advised   to call them and if they played games to tell them that I was going to file a small claims suit against their client. The damage was $995.00.  I called and the adjuster stated playing his game.  I told him my plan.  He says go for it and hung up.  I didn't even have my shoes on and the phone rang.  It was his supervisor.  He apologized for the wait. He said it was tied up and he could get me a check within 2 days .  the check came and we were done.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good luck...

View Quote

I didn't quite follow what he was saying, but this makes sense.  I didn't know how to assess the lost value.  Now Progressive wants to give me a check for $650 under the estimate and see if the body shop will do the work for cash.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#10]
If you know anyone at a car dealership, ask them to run a sale number on your vehicle without any accidents and run a sale number on the same vehicle with the damage you had but fixed. I know its not a sure fire way but I would think that the difference would be added onto your check or paid to you bc the idiot hit you causing damage that needs repaired and also decrease of sale or trade in value bc your car now has an accident on its VIN
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Still dealing with the wrong insurance company I see.

Contact YOUR insurance company.  This should have been done days ago.  "Three estimates?"  Gimme a break.  

-- Chuck
View Quote

Agree in ohio you have the right to get your vehicle fixed at a shop of your choosing and with oem parts if you wish. Insurance companies will always try to lowball. As others have stated the insurance company of dimwitted female that was texting and driving doesn't give a damn about you. I would bring this up to yoir insurance
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:39:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Always deal with your insurance company, never talk to the other parties.  Until you do this there is no hope of a fair deal on your end.  Read your policy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:56:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Agree in ohio you have the right to get your vehicle fixed at a shop of your choosing and with oem parts if you wish. Insurance companies will always try to lowball. As others have stated the insurance company of dimwitted female that was texting and driving doesn't give a damn about you. I would bring this up to yoir insurance
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Contact YOUR insurance company.  This should have been done days ago.  "Three estimates?"  Gimme a break.  

-- Chuck

If you get your car fixed through her insurance company you agree to their policies which may include using aftermarket parts....sure, you have a right to oem parts but YOU will be paying the difference...check the laws!

i have an OEM parts endorsement on my policy from state farm...but I pay more for it.

If your insurance company uses aftermarket parts and her insurance company uses aftermarket parts you have no recourse....that is why you agree to their policies and sign on the dotted line
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I did contact my insurance guy.  He also sells for Progressive and he said to see what would shake out.  He said Progressive would take care of it.  The body shop said they would fix it with OEM because the truck is 2 years old and had OEM parts that were damaged.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I agree with that was stated above. Go through your insurance company. You might initially have to pay your deductible, however, your insurance company will subrogate and refund your deductible when the other insurance company pays them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:52:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

-- Chuck
View Quote

No way.  I'm not paying my deductible because someone hits me.  I have always dealt with the other people's insurance.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No way.  I'm not paying my deductible because someone hits me.  I have always dealt with the other people's insurance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

-- Chuck

In this scenario he pays his deductible and is then reimbursed once the other insurance company pays the claim.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

-- Chuck
View Quote
I am almost positive Ohio law specifies only one estimate is needed.  I'm sure someone can confirm if this is accurate or not.

Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top