Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2003 8:56:04 AM EDT
This is intended to be the primary thread for all Q&A for the event.

Cabin Fever Winter Games
Sun Feb 9
Tusco Rifle Club, near New Philadelphia, Ohio
Open to all C&R bolt action rifles and Kalashnikovs

There will be 1 or 2 five minute sight-in periods on the actual range/targets around 10am. First relay is expected at 10:30 am. Two or three relays are expected, depending on interest/turnout. 200 yard, 3 position timed shooting at the NRA SR42 target.

Stage 1: 10 shots, 10 minutes, offhand
Stage 2: 10 shots, kneeling or sitting, start from standing, 90 seconds, This second stage requires one mag change for Kalashnikovs (any combo adding up to 10 shots firing from both mags)
Stage 3: 10 shots, prone, 5 minutes, start from standing, ‘hi-cap mag monopods’ are allowed (the mag you are shooting with may be used as a rest).

Each shooter scores their neighbor’s target, then scores are verified by the shooter and targets repaired. Shots breaking the line are scored on the next highest score. X rings are scored as 10, but should show as X for any tie breakers.

Aftermarket stocks and triggers are allowed in all classes, unless it affects the position of any iron sights used (such as the poly stock available for 8mm Mausers). Sling use is open choice.
C&R Bolt Action class:
Any C&R bolt gun is allowed. Original iron sights, and apertures (such as Mojo models) in the original rear sight leaf position are allowed. Aftermarket micrometer adjusted diopters are not allowed. Stripper clips are recommended.
Kalashnikov class: Any AK type gun from any manufacturer, including 5.45, 5.56, .308, 7.62x54r and 7.62x39 calibers. I expect this class to be split into 2 parts. One option is irons/peeps and scopes/red dots. Another option is all .308, all 7.62x54r, 5.56/5.45 scoped in one class, and 5.56/5.45 irons and open 7.62x39 in the other.

There will not be more than 3 classes, period. This more about fun and seeing other shooters and their guns than it is about a contest.

Entry fees are $10 for the first relay entered, $5 additional relays. Entries can be made in multiple classes, or try to improve upon a previous relay. All funds from each class will be lumped in their own award pot. Payout is expected to be around $20 per class winner, and up to 20 checks to be spread remaining funds through the field depending on how the classes are subscribed. 75% of the entry fees go towards awards, 25% goes to the rifle club for the use of their site.

The event will be held here:  www.geocities.com/tuscorp/
While normally a private club, membership is not required for this event. The range to be used is the 200 yd range you will be facing when you enter the club gate. To the right of this area is a 600 yd range that can be used for sighting in before the event. You should bring you own target and holder for this area. I do not have access to the main clubhouse for this event, this means port a jons. Ladies are advised to use a restaurant near the hwy in New Philly on the way in to the event. The firing line is covered, and there is a covered area with some picnic tables behind it. There are a few electrical outlets where crockpots and coffee pots can be rotated to share. Food plans are undecided at this time, but your are encouraged to share. Bring a shooting mat, clipboard and pen, and a spotting scope if available.

Safety: All shooters are expected to follow the directions of the range officer/caller. Only guns on the shooting line are to be loaded, and always pointed down range. Guns will be loaded only when the match caller instructs. Between relays and stages, all guns are to be unloaded and the bolt held open. Safety flags are to be used, and should be available for purchase ($1).

Link Posted: 1/11/2003 4:22:49 AM EDT
[#1]
If the weather is blustery. I have a volunteer for tarping the side of the picnic pavilion. I also have a briefcase/suitcase sized portable gas grill if someone expresses an interest in grilling lunch.
Over 90 visits to read this in 5 days, and not a single question has been asked here. Did I really write this up that clearly on the first try?
For those shooting a 7.62x39 gun without a 200 yd range to practice at beforehand, sighting in at about 4" high at 100yds is a good start.
I am currently leaning towards the second option for breaking down the AK class.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 6:47:39 AM EDT
[#2]
RS39
You did an excellent job of explanation in the first post.  I think most of the NE ohio crowd is looking forward to this get together and it should prove a fun time for all.
Link Posted: 1/23/2003 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this going to be a spectator freindly event?  I have never been to such a contest and would like to see what it is all about.
Link Posted: 1/24/2003 8:40:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Certainly, just bring ear/eye protection and maybe a folding chair.
But do not be intimidated by the contest. This has a lot to do with meeting each other and show/tell.
Link Posted: 1/24/2003 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Please try to bring $5s and singles so we do not run out of change.
As the date approaches, please let us know if you plan to attend. Helps predict things like how much extra water, grill gas, etc.
Gotta warm up a little in 2 weeks, but hey I was out there for hours on Monday...
Link Posted: 1/24/2003 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Great!  I will see you all there.
Link Posted: 1/27/2003 5:16:03 AM EDT
[#7]

I've got a 150,000 BTU torpedo heater I can bring if there is electric. Bring some cheap plastic tarps and we can make a little warm up-coffee room.  Let me know.
Link Posted: 1/27/2003 7:45:52 AM EDT
[#8]
The pavillion has 2 outlets. I will check the fuse box to be sure that a heater and some crock pots don't kill it.
The man who did the FAL event last Nov should be on hand with tarps again.
Link Posted: 2/9/2003 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#9]
The Cabin Fever Winter Challenge AKA Frozen Nuts results:

Decent weather, 8 entrants, some entered both relays. $100 taken in, $25 goes to the rifle club. The rest goes back to the shooters as soon as I figure out the best reward for scores based on their best finish in each class (faster than admitting I do not live in Russia, and finishing a custom AK build, your checks will all be in the mail).

C&R bolt gun class:
1) Dave S 62/55/73=190
2) Roger Z 62/55/60=177
3) Brian H 56/46/74=176

AK open 7.62x39 and 5.45/5.56 iron sights:
1) Ron S 63/76/85=224
2) Hank H 55/55/63= 173
3) Brian H 38/72/57=167
4) Steve C 55/33/75=163
5) Mike P 65/47/48 =155

AK all others:
1) Dave S 70/65/84=221
2) Bob K 42/82/90=214

Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top